Can God Die?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mišt
Can this supreme being of everything, eventually cease to exist? If God was created at some point, can it also die at some point?

Shakyamunison
I think no.

Mišt
Why?

Punker69
Are you serious?

Shakyamunison

Mišt
Originally posted by Punker69
Are you serious?

....No, Im mocking you specificallyno expression

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Because time does not exist. God is not a man on a cloud, to me, God is the everything and more, the universe +. I do not believe in a beginning or end to the universe. We are just a flashing light in the nothingness.

Fair enough smile

Punker69
Because time does not exist. God is not a man on a cloud, to me, God is the everything and more, the universe +. I do not believe in a beginning or end to the universe. We are just a flashing light in the nothingness.

blink

Makedde
Time does not exist? What do you call hours and minutes?

debbiejo
^ Time does not exist outside our dimension. What we can sense.

God cannot be destroyed because it is not in a physical form, but is part of all physical forms in their essence, energy level.

SolLuna
Is this a real question or a joke??? laughing confused

Mišt
So if all forms/energy levels ceased to exist, then would God cease to exist?

Originally posted by SolLuna
Is this a real question or a joke??? laughing confused

Its real, I wouldnt waste time spamming here. Take it seriously or dont take it at all.

Im not religious, so I dont mind what answers come out.

SolLuna
If all forms/energy cease to exist...then nothing in the whole universe would be alive...there would be blackness and nothing more...come on now... confused

Mišt
And? Question was would God cease to exist as well. If your sitting here with this attitude, take it elsewhere erm

If everything has a starting point, can it have a finishing point? Can God end, is the question.

debbiejo

SolLuna
Therefore if God were energy...then no he couldn't be destroyed...he wouldn't cease to exist.

Mišt
Originally posted by debbiejo
Energy can't be destroyed.

Yeah, but hypothetically.....would it happen?

debbiejo

Atlantis001
God cannot die as it is by definition beyond time, and something can only die if they depend on time. In many philosophies the divine, spiritual, and the eternal are things beyond time and space. People always related the concept of immortal, and eternal to the divine.

Mišt
How so? I just didnt get your 'dying depends on time' bit...

Atlantis001

finti
when people sotp believing gods die

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by finti

That depends on what God is. If God is just a belief, then you are correct, but if God is the universe, I don't think the universe needs us.

debbiejo

Only in myth type gods. reading

Don't hurt me..sweat

Shakyamunison
Only in myth type gods. reading

Don't hurt me..sweat

I'll try not to. stick out tongue

AOR

Darth Jello
Omnipotence paradox

debbiejo
Whooo paradox..........I do believe in those.

Mindship
Does Infinity have a beginning or an end? By definition, no, otherwise it wouldn't be Infinity.
Whatever you wanna call it, by definition it always was and always will be, outside of which exists nothing. This means any thread dealing with characteristics or specifics (eg, can God die, who created God, does God have limits, is God energy/consciousness/matter/nature/spirit, on and on and on, etc, etc, etc, forever and ever) all come down to the Same Answer: yes-no-maybe-both-neither..........

Answers (including the above) regarding Infinity/God/Ultimate
Ground are, at best, an entertaining, perhaps intellectually enlightening glimpse through a pinhole at the Ineffable.

Tired Hiker
I think that once all humans are wiped out of existence, God will die as well. The Earth will still turn, though, with or without us and God. God is in our minds. That is all.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Tired Hiker
I think that once all humans are wiped out of existence, God will die as well. The Earth will still turn, though, with or without us and God. God is in our minds. That is all.

You are correct, if that is how you define god. I see God as much bigger. I see God as the universe +.

finti
only kind

JacopeX

RoguePw25
No, God can not die. God always "was" and will always be. How can someone who created the entire universe die? He can't. God is a spirit, not like us who have blood and who are born and such.

finti
imaginary friends doesnt have blood or are born like us either, does it make them real or true because of that

sithsaber408
No God will never die.

He was never born.

He always has been.

He loves all of you scoffers, just go to him. angel

finti
as I said before when man stops or change their beliefs gods die

Ladyluck
as I said before when man stops or change their beliefs gods die

I agree with you on that one.

sithsaber408
Mere man has no effect on Almighty God.

We are his creation.... not the other way around.

debbiejo
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Mere man has no effect on Almighty God.

We are his creation.... not the other way around. We aren't just a creation, but are part's of IT it's self.

finti
gods are mans creation so they have all the affect that are on gods

Imperial_Samura
Plenty of gods as concepts have died over the years. Mighty state religions, or gods held sacred by tribes of ten or so people. As humanity marched on they were forgotten. Lost to the sands of time. Arguably they are quite dead, whether they ever existed in reality or not. In that sense the Christian God, or Islamic God or whatever, if they only exist thanks to us (which is very likely) will most certainly be gone one day.

You are correct, if that is how you define god. I see God as much bigger. I see God as the universe +.

I guess it also depends on how one sees the universe ending. All the suns dying, matter drifting away forever, becoming more and more dispersed, totally lifeless and cold... Or all matter being drawn back to a single point... compacted, crushed, the death of the old universe and god, but the potential beginning for a new one in some future big bang.

And at the risk of much angry debate, for those people who believe in the Christian God, and more importantly believe that Jesus WAS God, that Jesus and God were one, then clearly he can die.

RoguePw25
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Plenty of gods as concepts have died over the years. Mighty state religions, or gods held sacred by tribes of ten or so people. As humanity marched on they were forgotten. Lost to the sands of time. Arguably they are quite dead, whether they ever existed in reality or not. In that sense the Christian God, or Islamic God or whatever, if they only exist thanks to us (which is very likely) will most certainly be gone one day.

I guess it also depends on how one sees the universe ending. All the suns dying, matter drifting away forever, becoming more and more dispersed, totally lifeless and cold... Or all matter being drawn back to a single point... compacted, crushed, the death of the old universe and god, but the potential beginning for a new one in some future big bang.

And at the risk of much angry debate, for those people who believe in the Christian God, and more importantly believe that Jesus WAS God, that Jesus and God were one, then clearly he can die.

But that's just the thing, Jesus did die, He died on the cross for our sins. BUT he rose again in 3 days. I thought the thread was asking if God could die, in the sense of dying and staying dead. If that's the question then no, God can not die.

MistressofSnape
Yes, he can die. God died 500 years ago. Or at least the Christan God did.

Makedde
Originally posted by MistressofSnape
Yes, he can die. God died 500 years ago. Or at least the Christan God did.

So you believe that there is no God? There can't be, if he died. confused

debbiejo
Originally posted by RoguePw25
But that's just the thing, Jesus did die, He died on the cross for our sins. BUT he rose again in 3 days. So did Mithra and he did it first... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Darth Jello
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnipotence_paradox

finti
ha ha brilliant and so simple

Atlantis001

leonheartmm
he is omnipotent, therefore anythin he wishes will come to pass, if he wishes to kill himself, it would come to pass..............oh no wait, how can he die if he is omnipotent?

oh yea, i forgot, there is NO omnipotent god.

debbiejo
Originally posted by leonheartmm
he is omnipotent, therefore anythin he wishes will come to pass, if he wishes to kill himself, it would come to pass.

HAHAHA...

But if god is part of us all which would make us also divine in essence, we could kill ourselves and we could create an object that is too large for us to lift. We could lie, steal, kill and have sex outside of marriage, and still not be condemned. Cause who would condemn us? US?

leonheartmm
HAHAHA...

But if god is part of us all which would make us also divine in essence, we could kill ourselves and we could create an object that is too large for us to lift. We could lie, steal, kill and have sex outside of marriage, and still not be condemned. Cause who would condemn us? US?

ur touching on things beyond the normal human comprehension. we neither are, nor were, or will ever be. nuthing exists, no conepts no nuthing, just a will, that wills itself to exist even when non existance does not exist, everything is part of that will or dream, some more some less, but nuthing escapes it, for it is all there is, this bubble of thought n will will forever wander the eternal oceans of nuthingness, guided only by fate, the one force that predates will itself, n the one force that will influence the path of everything.

Jedi Priestess

debbiejo
It's too bad that gods die.........I was rather fond of mine.........Poof!

Ogami Itto
laughing out loud i don't think God can die!!

But then again i'm not sure if he is real, i just finished reading the bible!! i'ts a sham, no mention of dinosaurs anywhere!!

you would think there would be maybe a small paragraph saying

Before man, God made the dinosaur, but he got bored of them so he destroyed them and made humans!

wait a minute now i understand why they DIDN't put that in big grin

MistressofSnape
Originally posted by Makedde
So you believe that there is no God? There can't be, if he died. confused
There are Gods. I just believe the Christen one has died. Allah has yet to meet his termination but it's only a matter of time... There are many, many Gods so one God dying and the people not knowing is a minor inconvenience, that's why their prayers never get answered. She can no longer hear them.

Ogami Itto
people believing in something doesn't make it real!! allah's yet to be terminated??? who by the terminator?? i'm not tring to be funny but how do u know when a god is dead??

debbiejo
Allah? sick Has done us so much harm as a people.

Ogami Itto
yeah but u can't "terminate" him ! anyway allah or jehovah have never harmed anybody!! Only people!! Which makes me think religion was invented by people to control people!!

debbiejo
Mmmmmmmmm...yep!

sithsaber408
gods are mans creation so they have all the affect that are on gods

Not the REAL God.

The one who created the world.

Or if your an evolutionist, then the one who started the big bang.

I agree that many gods are created by man, and as such, are fallable.

But no matter what he is named by people, at different times and in different places, there is one God, who will not die.

That distinct honor belongs to us.

We die.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Not the REAL God.

The one who created the world.

Or if your an evolutionist, then the one who started the big bang.

I agree that many gods are created by man, and as such, are fallable.

But no matter what he is named by people, at different times and in different places, there is one God, who will not die.

That distinct honor belongs to us.

We die.

If the God you are talking about is the bible god, then that god is man made.

Ogami Itto
I agree!I mean look at the bible, it was written by humans !(apparantly under the influnce of God)

HMM So thats what they called it in them days!!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Ogami Itto
I agree!I mean look at the bible, it was written by humans !(apparantly under the influnce of God)

So, if the man who wrote the bible was driving his Chariot and got pulled over, would he get a DUG (Driving under the influence of god)?

laughing

Ogami Itto
So, if the man who wrote the bible was driving his Chariot and got pulled over, would he get a DUG (Driving under the influence of god)?

laughing

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

leonheartmm
yeah but u can't "terminate" him ! anyway allah or jehovah have never harmed anybody!! Only people!! Which makes me think religion was invented by people to control people!!

sure he can.

{takes a rocket launcher out in the face of allah n says in the scarface accent}

"SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND"

{boom}

"ASTALAVISTA....BABY"

{machenical voice}
"UVE BEEN TERMINATED"

{credits role while the terminator theme plays}

Ogami Itto
uhh that wouldn't work

leonheartmm
uhh that wouldn't work

it already did smile

Ogami Itto
I'll take your word 4 it big grin just don't tell his followers

RoguePw25

The Bible was yes written by humans who were inspired by God.

Great Vengeance
If he wanted to die I dont suppose anyone could stop him.

debbiejo
Originally posted by RoguePw25
The Bible was yes written by humans who were inspired by God. I'm inspired by god too....But no one listens. I should probably write my book.. cool

ImOne
God is a synonym for consciousness. Consciousness can't die.

The "omnipotent entity paradox" proves that people create their own reality. It's only a paradox if your reality exists in a space and time construct.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by ImOne

The "omnipotent entity paradox" proves that people create their own reality. It's only a paradox if your reality exists in a space and time construct.

cool What he said.

Mindship
Can this thread die?

debbiejo
Originally posted by Mindship
Can this thread die? No...It will never die...just like god...

Originally posted by ImOne

The "omnipotent entity paradox" proves that people create their own reality. It's only a paradox if your reality exists in a space and time construct. Yeah...kinda like that... cool

Shakyamunison
Can this thread die?

I'm not sure. I'll post ever day for the next 10 years and see if at any time it just dies. laughing

Miss_Faye
Yes. Everything that has a beginning has an ending. Much like this God. I can bring him down. Oh yea! ....Hm..shifty

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Miss_Faye
Yes. Everything that has a beginning has an ending. Much like this God. I can bring him down. Oh yea! ....Hm..shifty

There is no beginning to time and the universe.

debbiejo
Energy cannot die, nor words...Or is that thoughts...... messed

Miss_Faye
There is no beginning to time and the universe.

Of course there is, it all had to start at one point or another. Such as the big bang and what not.

Shakyamunison
Energy cannot die, nor words...Or is that thoughts...... messed

No matter what you do, you cannot destroy energy. All you can do is change it. cool

debbiejo
Seems I've heard that before.. stick out tongue .Oh, and I do it all the time....Change energy that is...

leonheartmm
No matter what you do, you cannot destroy energy. All you can do is change it. cool

u cant create energy but u can destroy it. i think theyll prove it gradually.

debbiejo
Energy is all around us and in us....so you can influence it....You can't destroy it....

Shakyamunison
u cant create energy but u can destroy it. i think theyll prove it gradually.

Sorry, check your information. We can nether create or destroy energy. If you have a scientific article that disputes that, please pm me the link. big grin

leonheartmm
Sorry, check your information. We can nether create or destroy energy. If you have a scientific article that disputes that, please pm me the link. big grin

no no i know. it just, sum1 errrr SPECIAL told me once that its possible even though mainstream science doesnt accept it.

Shakyamunison
no no i know. it just, sum1 errrr SPECIAL told me once that its possible even though mainstream science doesnt accept it.

Don't believe everything you hear. laughing

leonheartmm
Don't believe everything you hear. laughing

lol, really i DONT, its just a trustworthy source.

Shakyamunison
lol, really i DONT, its just a trustworthy source.

I was talking about my statement. laughing

debbiejo
Don't trust that either... wink stick out tongue

Mindship

It's not even accepted at the fringes of theoretical physics. May I ask: who is this sum1 special? And can he/she buy me a lottery ticket?

Shakyamunison
It's not even accepted at the fringes of theoretical physics. May I ask: who is this sum1 special? And can he/she buy me a lottery ticket?

However, I have met a few people who were a waist of energy. stick out tongue

Mindship
However, I have met a few people who were a waist of energy. stick out tongue

...and as well, of time.

Fortunately, no such creatures be found at KMC.
roll eyes (sarcastic)

apoc001
In my religion, we believe that God has a physical body of flesh and bone, but no blood. We believe he has something instead of blood, though no one knows exactly what it is. Some celestial substance, I guess. We believe this because blood is what separates life from death. But in the afterlife, there is no blood, just pure being.

debbiejo
Originally posted by apoc001
In my religion, we believe that God has a physical body of flesh and bone, but no blood. We believe he has something instead of blood, though no one knows exactly what it is. Some celestial substance, I guess. We believe this because blood is what separates life from death. But in the afterlife, there is no blood, just pure being. Bone but not blood?....But blood is formed in bone.

apoc001
he's eternal, so his bone's don't make blood. He's just an eternal being with a physical body.

K.Diddy

debbiejo
he's eternal, so his bone's don't make blood. He's just an eternal being with a physical body. Special bones????..........Nah...god has no bones......and no marrow.....no blood......

God is not in human form......god in my opinion is what we all are along with all that is..........not a person. Not a he.....but an all unto all.

apoc001
What about us being created in his own image, or the parts of the scriptures where God is seen as a man, or described as having a body?

debbiejo
What about us being created in his own image, or the parts of the scriptures where God is seen as a man, or described as having a body? Well if you list the scriptures I can answer them better....but god created in our image could mean many things, not just a physical body...It could be in spirit, or emotion, or creativeness....no where that I have seen does it say anything about having a body.

apoc001
Well maybe that's mostly in my religion then. But doesn't a prophet in the Old Testament see a vision of God? I don't where it is, but I studied the Old Testament two years ago. I could just be getting my books mixed up.

debbiejo
Well maybe that's mostly in my religion then. But doesn't a prophet in the Old Testament see a vision of God? I don't where it is, but I studied the Old Testament two years ago. I could just be getting my books mixed up. A vision????....in the OT?...can you find the scripture cause I have not heard of it....Can't think of a scripture about describing god.

Shakyamunison
Before you can answer can God die you have to determine what God is.

debbiejo
I do?????...........I thought a pic is worth a thousand words.....

Shakyamunison
I do?????...........I thought a pic is worth a thousand words.....

confused

leonheartmm
yes god can die. anything can die.

debbiejo
confused My picture!!!.......It's worth a thousand words.....Like "I'm god"....... cool

Shakyamunison
My picture!!!.......It's worth a thousand words.....Like "I'm god"....... cool

confused

debbiejo
What?? You don't understand......you want me to explain it better? roll eyes (sarcastic)

maham
God doesn't die

no point left in bein God,is there?

apoc001
A vision????....in the OT?...can you find the scripture cause I have not heard of it....Can't think of a scripture about describing god.
Well I thought it was in there, but like I said, I don't know where. It might only be in the other book of my religion, though.

apoc001
Oh wait, I found something. Does the regular Bible have the book of Moses?

debbiejo
Oh wait, I found something. Does the regular Bible have the book of Moses? No it doesn't......must be one of the books the church left out or the dog ate it.......

The only place in scripture that I know where there is a description would be in Rev....With the White hair like wool riding on a horse, but this is symbolic.

apoc001
Well actually, I found something else since then.
Exodus 3:6 Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon him.
I also found other stuff. But most of it's in the New Testament.

debbiejo
Well actually, I found something else since then.
Exodus 3:6 Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon him.
I also found other stuff. But most of it's in the New Testament. Yeah, but it still doesn't give a description of what god looks like though.

Mindship
Yes.

Hit_and_Miss

debbiejo
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
So god could break gravity and rise, god could create energy, god could create a new colour... there is nothing he couldn't do....

Can god make a square circle??? roll eyes (sarcastic)

apoc001
True. But I think I found what I was looking for.
Genesis 5:1 "This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him."
That proves that it wasn't just a mental or emotional image he created us in, but in his physical likeness.

debbiejo
True. But I think I found what I was looking for.
Genesis 5:1 "This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him."
That proves that it wasn't just a mental or emotional image he created us in, but in his physical likeness. Doesn't necessarily mean physical though, and it doesn't say physical. It could mean emotional, thinking, spiritual, creativeness, etc.

How could a god have a form of a man or a woman? It would be limiting wouldn't it?

apoc001
Doesn't necessarily mean physical though, and it doesn't say physical. It could mean emotional, thinking, spiritual, creativeness, etc.

How could a god have a form of a man or a woman? It would be limiting wouldn't it?
No, because his physical body has been glorified. I guess it's limiting in that he can't make claws come out his hands or suddenly develop proboscis, but he probably won't need that too often. Basically, he has a physical body like us. But unlike us, he has eternal life, as well as the full power of the priesthood. That means he can do just about anything.

Hit_and_Miss
Can god make a square circle??? roll eyes (sarcastic)

He could also give you the ability to make a point when you post stick out tongue

debbiejo
roll eyes (sarcastic) .........No square circle then.

apoc001
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
He could also give you the ability to make a point when you post stick out tongue
I did make a point. Debbiejo asked if having a body would be limiting and explained why it wouldn't.
And why are you guys asking about square circles? He could make a circle square, but he would have to change the shape entirely. You knew what I meant when I said he could do just about anything. Stop acting so immature about it.

apoc001
I meant I explained why it wouldn't.

Hit_and_Miss
Apoc I wasn't talking to you... bebbie is quoting me from a previous thread where I said god could defy logic and create a square circle...

It was just a joke between us... don't worry ya self over it...

debbiejo
Yes, it's just a joke... laughing out loud

Hit_and_Miss
In fact when I go to heaven thats the first thing I'm gonner ask to see...

debbiejo
A square circle????......... huh.........Hmmm maybe if I'm good, god will give me a square circle necklace...If not maybe a circle triangle one.

Morgoths_Wrath
God IS dead.

Bowser jr
Someone/thing can not die if no one knows what they look like. Like god. How do we know if he walked on this planet. The same with Jesus how do we know if he lived as well. Who wrote the religious books?? evil face smokin' devil beer

lil bitchiness
If we imagine god as energy, then by our scientific findings it cannot die, because energy cannot be destroyed - it will only pass through as something else.

If everything around us is God, then technically it cannot be destroyed - since our perception is that nothing can be created or destroyed...

Then again, thats just todays science view...

debbiejo
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
If we imagine god as energy, then by our scientific findings it cannot die, because energy cannot be destroyed - it will only pass through as something else.

If everything around us is God, then technically it cannot be destroyed - since our perception is that nothing can be created or destroyed...

Then again, thats just todays science view... clap

Captain Falcon

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Captain Falcon
better question: does god exist? Then again if there is a creator, he's probably dead by now. I mean, 6,000 years?

Try 13 billion + a little.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.