CONFIRMED!! Topher Grace is playing...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheOnes2
A scoop from the people who is on the set of Spider-man 3:

http://rishoutfield.blogspot.com/2006/01/spectacular-spider-fan.html

"I worked on SPIDER-MAN 3 today. It looks like it will be good. Kirsten Dunst is hot. So, what have you been up to?"wink. I have no heavy spoilers (except one, which I'll keep to myself), so will lightly talk about my day.

And yes, sad to say, Topher Grace is indeed playing Eddie Brock/Venom."

(Original Source: http://www.superherohype.com/news/spider-mannews.php?id=3818)

steverules
So in the movie is he venom or is he just playing Eddie

TheOnes2
Doesnt say. Read it through if you want. i just skimmed it quickly and spotted it

StinkFist462
* nvm

Marcus4600
YES! VENOM IS HERE! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

http://www.alaph.com/spiderman/pictures/enemies/venom/venom02.jpg

^Definately gonna be seeing that. A-freakin-mazing.

steverules
Wh do you think we kept that in spoilers!?!

StinkFist462
sweet. two sissy's battling on screen.

Doc Ock
This is not a confirmation.

When Sony announces it,then it's a confirmation.

Doc Ock
Originally posted by StinkFist462
sweet. two sissy's battling on screen.

What the f**k?

Do you mean Tobey and Topher??

steverules
WTF!?!

Marcus4600
Ignore that stinkfist guy. He's being stupid. His word is about as credible as that Mr. Parker guy.

steverules
Explains alot.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Doc Ock

yes

Silverstein
my friend in real life, during class also coincidently used the words 'two sissys fighting' and wow. hopefully it wont be that

Marcus4600
Yeah, a big alien with huge teeth and an ugly tongue that almost beat up Superman. Yeah, real sissy.

Silverstein
i meant Topher and Tobey...

NoFate007
I'm hoping that if he really is Brock/Venom, he's along the lines where the symbiote really buffs him up, and that he actually gets intimidating in it. I don't want to see "angry Eric Foreman". I want to see "WE'RE GONNA KICK YOUR ASS AND EAT YOUR BRAINS SPIDER-MAN" Venom.

I don't think he'll be able to do the voice, and I think its implied that he wouldn't be able to do the fight scenes because of Venom's pure size...but who knows. Look at Darth Vader. You've got 4 guys doing that - Hayden/Shaw for Anakin, JEJ for voice, and Prowse for stunts. Maybe Topher is Hayden/Shaw to Raimi's Venom.

Spideys Sister
We love Venom love

DBZ MAN
Well they can EASILY enhance the voice so that wouldn't be a problem. Maybe they are going to use a prosthetic suit like the thing in the FF movie

jgiant
that would be terrible...

steverules
Venom would look like a big giant black rubber with whit bits.

atharpina
Originally posted by NoFate007
I don't think he'll be able to do the voice, and I think its implied that he wouldn't be able to do the fight scenes because of Venom's pure size...but who knows. Look at Darth Vader. You've got 4 guys doing that - Hayden/Shaw for Anakin, JEJ for voice, and Prowse for stunts. Maybe Topher is Hayden/Shaw to Raimi's Venom.

They could just do something to enhance his voice to a make him sound menacing. Like they did with Cillian's voice when he had the Scarecrow mask on.

Silverstein
Originally posted by steverules
Venom would look like a big giant black rubber with whit bits.

id rather have a clever cgi Venom, but if they did have a prosthetic suit they could cover it with slime to look shiny lol. Topher might be too small and Venom would be roughly the same height, maybe an inch taller but with a wide load...it would be awkward. They'd have to edit each scene to take out wrinkles that show up - like in Hellboy, but F4 they did not bother with it.

Knightfall93
We love Venom! Letsssssss eat sssome brainssssssss

TheOnes2
They have to use use the same technology they used on I Robot, Lord of the Rings and King Kong

NoFate007
I think the best option would be not to even have Topher don any type of suit for Venom, basically have him just play Brock.

Have someone else as the Venom body - a guy who's taller and way more muscular than Topher is. Combine that with CG additions, such as the tendrils flaring, the slime, the tongue and whatnot.

As for voice, either heavily manipulate Topher's to make it really, really different (deeper, slightly raspier, more evil sounding since Topher has a really calm and simple voice), or just get a voice actor to do the work. Get someone who's done voices for characters like that, hell even get the guy who did Venom's voice for the animated series, but spruce him up a bit. That'd work even.

DBZ MAN
What about if Venom went complete CGI like for Hulk?
I think hulk was plausable enough to look real so theres no reaso it can't work with venom, He doesnt even really have a face. But maybe even that would spill their budget a tad..

steverules
Well venom does roll his symbiote face back to reveal Eddies face every now and then, so how would they do that if there was a scene where he did that?

TheOnes2
Put Topher on a Green Screen stage and film him doing that. Tke of his head in computer and place it under Venoms face and roll Venoms face back to reveal- *shock* Eddie

steverules
Thats what I was thinking.

doctorstrongbad
Well If they introduce Topher as Eddie brock and at the end he gets the venom outfit that would make sense.

Marcus4600
Originally posted by NoFate007
I think the best option would be not to even have Topher don any type of suit for Venom, basically have him just play Brock.

Have someone else as the Venom body - a guy who's taller and way more muscular than Topher is. Combine that with CG additions, such as the tendrils flaring, the slime, the tongue and whatnot.

As for voice, either heavily manipulate Topher's to make it really, really different (deeper, slightly raspier, more evil sounding since Topher has a really calm and simple voice), or just get a voice actor to do the work. Get someone who's done voices for characters like that, hell even get the guy who did Venom's voice for the animated series, but spruce him up a bit. That'd work even.

Well, I can agree with some of that, but we haven't seen if he can do some sort of deeper voice, but a voice actor would be cool. They should do the double-layer that they did in the animated series. If they got a body double, the best bet would be the guy from Resident Evil: Apocalypse, because he's the right proportions (he actually looks like Brock too!) Also, if they got a good animatronic mask like the ones used in AVP, then they could do a great job. However, I bet they'll go with the CG.

steverules
Originally posted by doctorstrongbad
Well If they introduce Topher as Eddie brock and at the end he gets the venom outfit that would make sense.

Yup.

NoFate007
Originally posted by Marcus4600
Well, I can agree with some of that, but we haven't seen if he can do some sort of deeper voice, but a voice actor would be cool. They should do the double-layer that they did in the animated series. If they got a body double, the best bet would be the guy from Resident Evil: Apocalypse, because he's the right proportions (he actually looks like Brock too!) Also, if they got a good animatronic mask like the ones used in AVP, then they could do a great job. However, I bet they'll go with the CG.

True, we haven't heard him do a Venom voice yet. I'm sort of judging him by what I've seen already, but he might be able to do an awesome voice.

And yeah, I think they'll go heavily on CGI for Venom. If they use Hulk as a springboard, but of course, not make it weird like Hulk did, they can pull it off. If they fix the Hulk flaws they'd have a good Venom. At the very least, the expressions on Hulk's face were pretty good.

Marcus4600
Yeah. Also, check the Ghost Rider special effects clip that Sony is showing off. Lemme get the link real quick.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/ghostrider/site/rider.html

steverules
Looks cool!

Knightfall93
this is a Spidey thread! Take it comc book movies! Has anyone got pics of the Topher Grace guy or that Gwen Stacy actress, I'm not familiar with them

TheOnes2
Gwen Stacy:

Marcus4600
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0333410/photogallery

Marcus4600
^ooops

Here's Topher looking a little more Brock-ish

steverules
Thats not Brock-ish looking, thats a non-brock-ish look. Brock has blonde hair, no glasses and big muscles and looks all butch. he looks like the opposite!

Marcus4600
Well, that pick is from a couple of years ago. IMDB has some pics of him looking bigger now. Tobey Maguire went from wussy looking to muscular in the course of a year. Topher was cast a while back. I think he can do it, and that pick is a good start.

OneBigFanBoy
Tobey Maguire is muscular?

He still looks like a 95lb weakling.

DBZ MAN
No he did get pretty muscular.

Silverstein
someone post a new pic of the bulked up Topher

spencerspider
lol this is weird, im back and this is the only news..

OneBigFanBoy
Yeah people seem to think that Topher and Maguire are the next candidates for Mr. Universe.

atharpina
Tobey was like ripped for the first movie. I don't think they had a shirtless scene in the second so I don't know about that.

DBZ MAN
Originally posted by OneBigFanBoy
Yeah people seem to think that Topher and Maguire are the next candidates for Mr. Universe.

Being muscular does not mean you are an automatci candidate for MR. UNIVERSE no roll eyes (sarcastic)

spencerspider
I saw a pcture of him on another website taken from like a week before they started filming. He still is no Venom, he does look a little bigger, but remember, they are already filming. He has no time now to get much bigger

FG725

yeah for all we know they just wanna get a few laughs outta people but im sure your fine with that

Marcus4600
Sony hasn't confirmed Gwen either, but we know she's in there too. Can you say double standard?

Drache53
Double standard? I, being a Venom fan, think that maybe they shouldn't have Topher doing Brock. But then again, I have A LOT of faith in Topher's acting ability (see Win a Date With Tad Hamilton). I'm riding the fence on this one, so don't call on me to support any of you..

Marcus4600
That's not what I was talking about. Nobody makes a fuss about Gwen being in SM3 without any confirmation by Sony, but everyone does with Venom. It doesn't really make sense to me.

Drache53
Eh, like I said, it could go either way. Hasn't the lady that plays Gwen SAID that she's playing Gwen? I haven't really been reading up on that..

Marcus4600
Yes, she has. And Kirsten Dunst said that Topher is Venom. People are saying one source is credible, and the other isn't just because of who they are. It's just ridiculous.

Drache53
I believe that people don't believe it because Topher is, bluntly, a shrimp. I can relate, I'm 5'10'' and 145 pounds. He looks nothing like Brock, even though he has bulked up. The lady that plays Gwen actually looks like her (I saw that one pic you posted earlier).

Doc Ock
Not to mention Venom's story has alot of baggage with it.And looking at this cast of thousands,it hasn't a hope in hell of being done correctly.

Which is why,if Venom is in it,it'll be Raimi version.And that is not a good thing.

Drache53
At least, if he is in it, he'll be making more joke than Tobey.. Whoops, did I say that? Sorry, I just think Topher can pull off wise-cracks better than Tobey.

Doc Ock
You're assuming the script will have wisecracks in it for him.

Spidey get's about two per movie.

Drache53
Low blow. If he is Venom, they'll probably give him more wise-cracks than Spidey.

Doc Ock
Jonah Jameson get's more than Spidey.

spencerspider
lol yea, he gets the most I think..

Silverstein
Jonah Jameson get's more than Spidey.

"crap. crap. mega crap" some how, to me, this line by jameson was sort of borderlining cheeziness almost as cheezy as some of spider-man's jokes (in the movie ofcourse to clarify)

spencerspider
well he has more than just that one..

Silverstein
Spiderman 1: the best ones were

"thats a nice suit, did your husband give it to you?"

...i cant remember someone post another

Marcus4600
From the video game:

"You and I are like brothers!"

"Oh yeah? Well I'm tellin mom!"

MuffinmanMike
That's not what I was talking about. Nobody makes a fuss about Gwen being in SM3 without any confirmation by Sony, but everyone does with Venom. It doesn't really make sense to me.

Sam Raimi has said he hated Venom.

Knightfall93
He'sd said he hated, huh, Muffinman? well, that means he hated but he didnt say he HATES Venom, he may love Venom now to all we know

spencerspider
um listen, he meant past tense like he has previously said that he hates Venom. See now I am saying he hates Venom. He said he hated, so he hates, do you get it?

DBZ MAN
Some guys say that to throw fans off the scent lol.

Drache53
Indeed.

Marcus4600
Not surprised. People told me that Doc Ock wasn't gonna be in the second one, and it was gonna be the Lizard.

Spideys Sister
Why is it the game has more wisecracks than the actual movie?

Knightfall93
Because the game is reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally looooooooooooooong, if ya mean SM2. And its actually brill as well

spencerspider
Not surprised. People told me that Doc Ock wasn't gonna be in the second one, and it was gonna be the Lizard.

Most people heard that from Kirsten. And that is why they said that. She is a liar.

Marcus4600
^ Nope. They "figured" it would because Connors was mentioned in the first movie. I knew that it would be Ock or Venom, because Gobby, Ock, and Venom are the top 3 villains. My bet is on Venom in the next one, and I take eye witness acounts of Grace as Venom over the rantings of someone who can't prove a dumb spoiler that doesn't even make sense. Grace could be Electro or Venom, either really doesn't matter that much. I'll still go and see it. I'd just prefer it was Venom.

chucktaylor
I prefer Venom.

But seeing Venom getting played by an actor who is absolutely his complete opposite?

I'd prefer Electro instead.

Darth Jello
depends on the portrayal. Lately, good ol' max dillon's been portrayed as someone nearly as creepy as Bullseye and that might not play well in terms of tone with the spider-man movies. what if topher was playing someone totally out of left field? Stilt-Man would be great for comic relief and the purple man would be awesome too (especially considering the fate of gwen stacey and killgrave's powers/psychoses). Topher kind of looks like both so that would be ok. Scorpion would be nice if JJJ wasn't involved in his creation in the movie.

spencerspider
I'd say he does not look nothing like Brock. So, he needs to be Electro.

Marcus4600
Well, let's not forget that Hollywood is pretty darn good at getting people who don't look like they could play the part to look like they can play the part. Tobey Maguire didn't look like Peter Parker. Hugh Jackman didn't look like Wolverine, and so forth. I think it can be pulled off, but there's gonna be some CG or a body double.

Knightfall93
Originally posted by spencerspider
I'd say he does not look nothing like Brock. So, he needs to be Electro.
So he does look like Brock!?

Yarr
bleh hang on im gonna host it.

Knightfall93
Umm

StinkFist462
Originally posted by Yarr
bleh hang on im gonna host it.

feelin the pic.... confused

Drache53
My bet is on Venom in the next one, and I take eye witness acounts of Grace as Venom over the rantings of someone who can't prove a dumb spoiler that doesn't even make sense.

I have one question on account of you saying this all over these forums: WTF do you mean by eye-witness accounts? And actually, that 'spoiler' thing made plenty of sense.

Marcus4600
If you read earlier in the thread, there was a blog entry of someone's eye witness account that Topher was Brock/Venom.

Silverstein
Well, let's not forget that Hollywood is pretty darn good at getting people who don't look like they could play the part to look like they can play the part. Tobey Maguire didn't look like Peter Parker. Hugh Jackman didn't look like Wolverine, and so forth. I think it can be pulled off, but there's gonna be some CG or a body double.

there has to be one reason or another why Topher was chosen as Eddie Brock (if he is). I can only judge Tophers acting from the 70s show(comedic role), date with tad hamilton(somewhat serious but not convincing).

im not sure why Tobey was chosen, but he is a good actor with plenty of experience, he atleast fits the part.

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, might have been a miscast BUT people probably grown to love him, Jackman is an amazing actor though. You cant compare Hugh Jackman to Topher Grace...to me, topher doesnt look like any villain.

Drache53
Could you give me a link please? I'd like to see this.

Marcus4600
Originally posted by Silverstein
there has to be one reason or another why Topher was chosen as Eddie Brock (if he is). I can only judge Tophers acting from the 70s show(comedic role), date with tad hamilton(somewhat serious but not convincing).

im not sure why Tobey was chosen, but he is a good actor with plenty of experience, he atleast fits the part.

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, might have been a miscast BUT people probably grown to love him, Jackman is an amazing actor though. You cant compare Hugh Jackman to Topher Grace...to me, topher doesnt look like any villain.

I can definately agree with your sentiments there. He was in a serious role with Dennis Quaid in a recent movie, but I can't remember the name of it. His beefing began there. I think that he can pull it off well, but we'll just have to see.

chucktaylor
"In Good Company"

Marcus4600
Thanks Chuck. Random question: Would anyone know where I could get a torrent with the second season of Iron Man?

Anyway, I'm hoping that if Topher plays Venom, then he can get the whole brain eating anti-hero thing down. I've only seen Venom eat brains in the Hunger though. After that, he went for Chocolate bars, because both contain phenathylamine. Sign of the Boss has possibly the funniest Venom lines and situations of all time. Brock as a nun? Hillarious.

Knightfall93
A nun?

Marcus4600
Yup. Lemme get a scan real quick.

Knightfall93
LMAO

Marcus4600
Thought you might like that one. I'll get a few more in real quick. The whole Sign of the Boss storyline was half comedy. I'll go to photobucket and put in some pics from the series. It's a must-read!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/sacrifice932000/VenomSignoftheBoss0103.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/sacrifice932000/VenomSignoftheBoss0105.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/sacrifice932000/VenomSignoftheBoss0116.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/sacrifice932000/VenomSignoftheBoss0222.jpg

spencerspider
Eddie lol he has his funny times.

Knightfall93
hes the funniest of 'em all

spencerspider
lol yea

SnakeEyes
To me, Spider-Man 3 is looking worse and worse with all this terrible news. I know it's not really confirmed yet, but from what we think we know (and what we do know), it's sounding pretty bad, IMO.

Knightfall93
just too crowded. itll have to be 8- 10 hours or just plain old BS!

atharpina
Optimism boys!

....optimism

spencerspider
I doubt 8-10 hours. 2 and a half hours will be fine in my way. Have Venom fight in a big battle at the end which lasts 20 min. First off in the fight, Sandman fights Spiderman and they are about even. Venom comes and bites Sandman and he dies. Then Venom fights Spiderman and Spiderman gets the crap beat out of him and then Harry comes, helps Peter out and together they kill Venom. Harry is wounded very badly and tells Peter he is sorry and that he is his best friend. Harry dies. Show Harry's funeral and that is 30 min. So you have 2 hours to intro Brock, show MJ, Aunt May, Peter, Eddie, Jamesons, Gwen and daddy, and Sandman's family. And a little of Harry deciding what to do. I think they can do it.

atharpina
I'll bet if they show Harry's funeral it'll just be a little 5-10 minute long wrapper-upper. Reminiscent of Norman's funeral in the first movie.

spencerspider
That's how I had it times, about 10 min.

Knightfall93
But what about "Enter the Sytmbiote"

Drache53
If things go the way I think they will, it'll probably be in the place where Spidey usually swings around. Maybe.

Altar[1stONE]
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
To me, Spider-Man 3 is looking worse and worse with all this terrible news. I know it's not really confirmed yet, but from what we think we know (and what we do know), it's sounding pretty bad, IMO.

laughing LOL that could be true

Spideys Sister
Originally posted by atharpina
Optimism boys!

....optimism 24/7 Optimist! I love this guy! That's right. Positive is the way to go.

Marcus4600
If it goes the way that I suggested it, it Think that when the punch collides, you don't see Venom's face, but you just see the white spider. Also, he needs to make Spider-Man run away from him scared, and THAT'S how they end the movie.

Knightfall93
Yeah, Spidey doing freakish swinging followed by Venom, but Venom should swing by catapulting himself up with each web strand and doing huge leap forwards. He should do the Ultimate- esque "massive leaps"

atharpina
Originally posted by Spideys Sister
24/7 Optimist! I love this guy! That's right. Positive is the way to go.

*girl

Thanks though!

I hope whatever they do with Venom isn't unbelievably disappointing. What's with all these ideas of Venom dying after one final fight between Spidey, GG2, Sandman, and him? Sounds not good....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.