"Variable"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Punker69
Anybody know what the Variable in a science fair project is suppose to contain? I cant figure out what "variable" means.

Hit_and_Miss
its the variable your Testing....

"scientific fields such as biology, chemistry, and physics, the word variable is used to refer to a measurable factor, characteristic, or attribute of an individual or a system. In a scientific experiment, so called "independent variables" are factors that can be altered or chosen by the scientist. For example, temperature is a common environmental factor that can be controlled in laboratory experiments. "Dependent variables" or "response variables" are those that are measured and collected as data. An independent variable is presumed to affect a dependent one."

Your probably doing Dependant variables... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependent_variable

Example.... You want to find out if different weights fall quicker....
You set up your tests (Dropping different weights from the same hights)

Here your independant variable is The weights and your results(which will/won't change is the time taken for the weights to drop) is the dependant variable

Whats the test about???

dave123
There are also confounding variables, which are those that could affect your DV, but are not your IV

botankus
Originally posted by Punker69
Anybody know what the Variable in a science fair project is suppose to contain? I cant figure out what "variable" means.

Let us know your final grade. I enjoy seeing KMC'ers succeed in life.

Punker69
Lol, ok.

Red Superfly
A variable is what you put in your telly to pick up TV signals.

I can do science, me.

smile

Mišt
Its when you're lazy and cant be bothered saying very capable1eye

Im variable at making browniesflex

Lord Magnus
First reply summed it up... it's the things that are interchanged to affect your results, in a basic sense. Different plants, different insects, different people, different objects...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.