Racially Insensitive, Racist, Or Not?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FeceMan
The word 'Negro'.

Methinks it is the same as saying Caucasian, but I've been brought up as it being a racial slur.

Thoughts?

Darth Jello
It's a racial slur

Darth Macabre
Well what it all comes down to is the skull of the individual. Negroid is the skull type of what we call "Blacks or Negro's" today. Where as Caucasoid is the skull of "Whites or Caucasians" today. Mongoloid is a term used for not only Asiatic people, but also Indigenous people across the world. It honestly depends. I, myself, don't view the word "Negro" as a slur, but others might.

Negro, I believe, derives from the word black in Latin.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Darth Jello
It's a racial slur
I forgot to ask, but please say 'why'.

JacopeX
nigar and Nigga are almost the same but it depends wut you mean by it. When you say ******, thats wrong and racist but when you say nigga, its almost like sayin "dude"

soleran30
lol unless your from the suburbs and white and go in the ghetto and say nigga cuz then you are racist and catch a beat down lol.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by FeceMan
The word 'Negro'.

Methinks it is the same as saying Caucasian, but I've been brought up as it being a racial slur.

Thoughts?

It's obviously a racial slur. Thoughts? hmmmm The only thing worse than the logic in this question is your pRovocative aim of this thread.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
It's obviously a racial slur. Thoughts? hmmmm The only thing worse than the logic in this question is your pRovocative aim of this thread.
Why is it OBVIOUSLY a racial slur, you tool?

GCG
Yeas but he is asking why cannot you refer to a black man by 'negro' just the same way 'caucasion' is said to a white man.

soleran30
because a white man is white and not black....................... how many negative stigmatisms are attached to the word caucasion throughout history?

Sir Whirlysplat
Why is it OBVIOUSLY a racial slur, you tool?

Trying to get something of value out of your post is like trying to squeeze orange juice out of an apple. It's truly amazing the way you never let an idea interrupt the flow of your typing, but then, making sense isn't your area of expertise, is it? Oh well, at least you only charge what your free advice is worth. I suggest you need Mark Twain's advice; "It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." It's no wonder you call yourself "Master of Excrements"

Originally posted by soleran30
because a white man is white and not black....................... how many negative stigmatisms are attached to the word caucasion throughout history?

Exactly!

FeceMan
Trying to get something of value out of your post is like trying to squeeze orange juice out of an apple. It's truly amazing the way you never let an idea interrupt the flow of your typing, but then, making sense isn't your area of expertise, is it? Oh well, at least you only charge what your free advice is worth. I suggest you need Mark Twain's advice; "It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." It's no wonder you call yourself "Master of Excrements"

Exactly!
This? Coming from you? I would consider such as a compliment after reviewing your post history.

Sir Whirlysplat
This? Coming from you? I would consider such as a compliment after reviewing your post history.

When I want your monkey-brained opinion I'll rattle your cage, okay? I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself on the Internet. Have you ever noticed that whenever you sit behind a keyboard, some idiot starts typing? As Ellen Glasgow once remarked: "He knows so little and knows it so fluently."

FeceMan
When I want your monkey-brained opinion I'll rattle your cage, okay? I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself on the Internet. Have you ever noticed that whenever you sit behind a keyboard, some idiot starts typing? As Ellen Glasgow once remarked: "He knows so little and knows it so fluently."
I've noticed that your observations of me wouldn't require visiting KMC to view, as you've a perfect example right under your own nose.

"The fox has many tricks. The hedgehog has but one. But that is the best of all." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of your one-trick-pony insults.

Sir Whirlysplat
I've noticed that your observations of me wouldn't require visiting KMC to view, as you've a perfect example right under your own nose.

"The fox has many tricks. The hedgehog has but one. But that is the best of all." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of your one-trick-pony insults.

I can tell that your charisma bypass was successful.

FeceMan
I can tell that your charisma bypass was successful.
And it's too bad your lobotomy didnn't take place at the point in your life when your mind had a bit more elasticity.

Now leave the thread and stop ruining my legitimate question. You can insult me in PMs, if you want.

Sir Whirlysplat
And it's too bad your lobotomy didnn't take place at the point in your life when your mind had a bit more elasticity.

Now leave the thread and stop ruining my legitimate question. You can insult me in PMs, if you want.

Nahh..... Bored now and I have to give a lecture early tmz. Have a good night Shit Bloke smile

GCG
Look Feceman, Its all The United State's fault that you cannot call a negro a negro. Their sheer lack of respect for African descendants and a remandment in slavery by the American people has made the word a bad one.

Today, they are doing the same with Muslims by showing them the same disrespect as they did to Negros.

Perhaps in 300 years time the word Muslim will become derogatory. I hope that I am wrong.

LethalFemme
wow i find it so refreshing when two people can use big words and quotes from famous or dead people in an argument.......lol

but on the subject of the thread

1) Negro is derived from spanish meaning black.

2) Though it maybe politically correct as in the whole skull statement made by DM (good statement by the way wink ) it's been tainted

3) The most obvious of all............you cant compare Caucasian to Negro there was never an era where it was abused as the word negro and then evolved to ****** to become less correct grammar and just a racial slur. But because ****** evolved from negro the word negro itself will always be tainted and viewed as racist erm

GCG
Originally posted by LethalFemme

1) Negro is derived from spanish latin meaning black.

If I may... smart

LethalFemme
Originally posted by GCG
If I may... smart

sorry i was typing so quickly just went from here to there lol thanx

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by JacopeX
nigar and Nigga are almost the same but it depends wut you mean by it. When you say ******, thats wrong and racist but when you say nigga, its almost like sayin "dude"

yes

Nigga means dude, just like vato, ese, homes, and compa in Spanglish. If some white boy called me "ese" I wouldn't take offence, but it would definately look wierd and out of place.

laughing (I'm picturing it right now)

Capt_Fantastic
Well, this thread went down the pisser really fast.

wink

Imperial_Samura
Hmmm. It's unfortunate. Initially I would say that the word "negro", in a purely denotative form, should not cause offense, nor is there racist implications. It isn't a derogatory term, or insulting slang. However, much like others have already said, long periods of misuse have given it negative connotations of the type which certain people might find offensive.

I don't find it's inherently racist, but then it can be used in that fashion, though many words, many innocent words, used in an incorrect context, or spoken with the right amount of scorn or malice can appear racially insensitive.

Victor Von Doom
Actually, 'negro' is from the Spanish for black, which is in turn from the Latin.

Makedde
I don't think it is racist at all. It's just a word.

Blacks whine about being called Negro or ******, but they are quite happy to listen to music by black rap artists who refer to themselves, and other blacks, as *******.

Because of this, I don't see how the word ****** can be offensive, eithor.

I don't really care, maybe I would have a difference of opinion if I were black, and could see it from another point of view. smile

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by GCG
Look Feceman, Its all The United State's fault that you cannot call a negro a negro. Their sheer lack of respect for African descendants and a remandment in slavery by the American people has made the word a bad one.

Today, they are doing the same with Muslims by showing them the same disrespect as they did to Negros.

Perhaps in 300 years time the word Muslim will become derogatory. I hope that I am wrong. Is it really fair to call that an "American" thing? It's really more of a western thing in general.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Makedde
Blacks whine about being called Negro or ******, but they are quite happy to listen to music by black rap artists who refer to themselves, and other blacks, as *******.

It's kind of like the whole "I can make jokes about my mother, but you can't. Why? Because she's MY mother."

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
It's kind of like the whole "I can make jokes about my mother, but you can't. Why? Because she's MY mother."

Not really, homes. I don't mind if a white boy calls me an "ese" or a "vato". Nigga just means dude.

NIGGA: Neva Ignorant, Getting Goals Accomplished
-coined by Tupac

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Makedde
I don't think it is racist at all. It's just a word.

I don't really care, maybe I would have a difference of opinion if I were black, and could see it from another point of view. smile

I don't believe that you don't care, because you shoehorn this point into so many posts that it's becoming slightly suspicious.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Not really, homes. I don't mind if a white boy calls me an "ese" or a "vato". Nigga just means dude.

NIGGA: Neva Ignorant, Getting Goals Accomplished
-coined by Tupac

Yes, social adaption, social assimilation. While it might not be perfect, there is wise thinking sometimes in taking a word, a descriptor, used to deride and torment, and making it into something... better. Taking it away from the aggressors as it were and making it your own - and in a way taking away a bit of their power.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I don't believe that you don't care, because you shoehorn this point into so many posts that it's becoming slightly suspicious.

erm What are you implying, ese?

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Yes, social adaption, social assimilation. While it might not be perfect, there is wise thinking sometimes in taking a word, a descriptor, used to deride and torment, and making it into something... better. Taking it away from the aggressors as it were and making it your own - and in a way taking away a bit of there power. People always say it's supposed to take away the power of the word but I don't understand how that's so. It's still just as offensive out of a white person's mouth so how is it any less powerful?

Makedde

And I would like you to please keep in mind that I use this as just an example. I am not racist in any way, I assure you of that. smile

GCG
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Is it really fair to call that an "American" thing? It's really more of a western thing in general.

From the historicity of its derogation, I am afraid so.

Capt_Fantastic
So let it be written, so let it be done:

There is nothing wrong with the word "negoid" There was a guy at my job in high shool that brought in his birth-certificate! Under species it said: Neroid! I laughed my ass off! I had never heard it, and given his sense of humor, neither did he. Learn from it! Live it.

Bardock42
Well I personally think that Negro is an acceptable term, but we didn't have the same history with Blacks as it was in the USA. If people generally find it offensive to be called that they shouldn't be (called that I mean). I personally believe that African American is just going to far, and, although I don't know many black people (kind of hard to find any around here) I am sure most don't mind "black".

PVS
its just an example of the ridiculous side of PC.
we have the united negro college fund and the national association for the advancement of colored people, but then popular culture turns around and says "now its a racial slur...just because we said so". and why? because racist people would refer to black people as "negro" or "colored" as a matter of reference and not name calling...just the same as everyone who wasnt racist. thats why they tried to wash the word "black" away. thankfully the majority of black people laughed that off and said "just call us 'black' ffs."

makes me wonder who is really calling the shots. was it really a group of black people who coined the title "african american"? i suspect not.

soleran30
the context and the way you use it has as much impact as the word iteself

PVS
but thats just it. racist people (from what i have witnessed) never use "colored" or "negro" as racial slurs. they have a whole arsenal of other words which they use quite liberally.

soleran30
And I agree with you in my experience it has a close association with the word n1gger and hence negro is a sensitive word.

Now a word that always boggled me anyway is cracker..................

LordFear
I don't think cracker is such an offensive word for white folks.
I have seen a far greater reaction outta them by saying white trash or trailer trash. I think its the equivalent of "you is so ghetto nigga" for blacks.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic

Under species it said: Neroid!

Species?

Gregory
Look, a word can't be inherently offensive. "******" is only offensive because the black community is offended by it. If they're offended by "Negro," it's offensive, for the same reason. If the white community got together and decided that "Caucassian" was an offensive word it would be, as quickly as that.

Personally, I can't think of any reason to use "negro" or "colored" when you can just as easily use "black." "Well, I know that black isn't an offensive word, and I know that some people think negro and colored are. What to do, what to do?"

(FYI, I believe that the NAACP has acknowledged that "colored" is sort of offensive, but kept the name for historical reasons).

(Edit: You know what? Screw autocensor features. Although I guess that the board is supposed to be PG-13).

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Gregory
Look, a word can't be inherently offensive. "******" is only offensive because the black community is offended by it. If they're offended by "Negro," it's offensive, for the same reason. If the white community got together and decided that "Caucassian" was an offensive word it would be, as quickly as that.

(Edit: You know what? Screw autocensor features. Although I guess that the board is supposed to be PG-13).

The final paragraph kind of plays on the themes you brought up in the first. Why censor a word, when someone can write a very offensive paragraph without using it?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Where I live, if someone says 'n*gger' it translates back into English as 'That one'.

I say 'n*gger' all the time when I'm buying fresh fruit.

Da preacher
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Well what it all comes down to is the skull of the individual. Negroid is the skull type of what we call "Blacks or Negro's" today. Where as Caucasoid is the skull of "Whites or Caucasians" today. Mongoloid is a term used for not only Asiatic people, but also Indigenous people across the world. It honestly depends. I, myself, don't view the word "Negro" as a slur, but others might.

Yup Niger, Nigra, Nigrum.

DiamondBullets
People, I'm half Black and Hawaiian, and I can tell you that "negro" aint derogatory. If anything, it's an outdated descriptive word just like "colored".

PVS
Originally posted by DiamondBullets
If anything, it's an outdated descriptive word just like "colored".

exactly!

whobdamandog
Words are words. The only power they have over oneself is the power one gives them.

whobdamandog
Nahh..... Bored now and I have to give a lecture early tmz. Have a good night Shit Bloke smile

The most ironic thing about this thread is the fact the Fece's usually a huge spelling/grammar buff, however, just about every one of his posts within this thread contains some sort of spelling/grammatical error.. roll eyes (sarcastic)

PVS
and the biggest irony is nobody gives a shit. smile

got topic?

Ogami Itto
This is an honest question so please forgive my ignorance!!
Where i live is a real small place, and 99% of the people here are white. (I had never laid eye's on a Negro until i was 16, apart from on the tv/films and stuff) We used to (some still do) refer to black people as darkie's. there was no racism in it just a word to describe a black person.

As i got older i thought better of using the word particularly as their are more ethnic groups living up here now!! So is the term darkie offensive to a Negro? i know there a lot worse sounding words but I'm honestly not sure? smile

PVS
Originally posted by Ogami Itto
Where i live is a real small place, and 99% of the people here are white. (I had never laid eye's on a Negro until i was 16, apart from on the tv/films and stuff) We used to (some still do) refer to black people as darkie's. there was no racism in it just a word to describe a black person.

As i got older i thought better of using the word particularly as their are more ethnic groups living up here now!! So is the term darkie offensive to a Negro? i know there a lot worse sounding words but I'm honestly not sure? smile

laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing eek! confused sad

Ogami Itto
i'm serious don't make fun smile

whobdamandog

Well guess what? The "religious right" fights against the thing that you who are on the "religious left" represents, you act as if you are holier than thou with your terminologies like "darkie." However, you are just full of pride, anger, and foolishness.

By the way, you forgot to capitalize "I" in the sentence above. And "Darkie" should not have an apostrophe. The plural form of Darkie is "Darkies."

On topic, PVS..why do you hate African Americans?

Ogami Itto
You've got it wrong !!this is my view on "citizens of the earth":

White, black,yellow whatever all fall under 2 categories: 90% idiots
10%cool

it was an honest question sorry if u took it the wrong way! as u have pointed out I'm no literary genius.

And i'll take that as a yes then

PVS
Originally posted by whobdamandog
On topic, PVS..why do you hate African Americans?

derptastic!

DiamondBullets

"Darkie" no expression...................smile..................big grin ............... laughing

Dawg, I would seriously advise you frum using that term.

Ogami Itto
Boy i'm glad i asked that question over the net!!!!! happy

oh and thanks for giving me a straight answer DiamondBullets!

Capt_Fantastic
Species?

yeap. you might think i'm joking, but i'm not. i guess when you're born a black man, in the south, in the 60's, that's what happens.

GCG
Thats just ...........WOW !

powerfulone1987
The word 'Negro'.

Thoughts?
well if you think that's the same thing I pray for you if you ever find yourself in a crowd of black people.

is it comprehensible.....

JacopeX
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
yes

Nigga means dude, just like vato, ese, homes, and compa in Spanglish. If some white boy called me "ese" I wouldn't take offence, but it would definately look wierd and out of place.

laughing (I'm picturing it right now) laughing

FeceMan
Originally posted by whobdamandog
The most ironic thing about this thread is the fact the Fece's usually a huge spelling/grammar buff, however, just about every one of his posts within this thread contains some sort of spelling/grammatical error.. roll eyes (sarcastic)
Incorrect, troll.

Now go off and die like a good whob should.

I still don't think it's racist. I mean, some could take it as offensive, what with its resemblance to '******', but it's...um...not, I think. Negro is the same as Caucasian, isn't it?

powerfulone1987
no it's not genius.

Gregory
Just FYI, the guy had "Negroid" on his birth-certificate because that used to be a technical term used by American anthropologists; I don't think it's used any more (this was the 60's?)

(I wish everyone in this thread had their location field filled in with something meaningful; something can be offensive in one place and okay in another).

DiamondBullets
Negro is the same as Caucasian, isn't it?

Nope, not by a longshot. "Caucasian" is both a medical and a legal term. "Negro" carries an old school stigma, and conjures images of the segregation era. Use that word in mixed company, and heads will turn, but the word "caucasian" won't that. Unless your over 65; "negro" shouldn't be in your vocabulary.

powerfulone1987
Just FYI, the guy had "Negroid" on his birth-certificate because that used to be a technical term used by American anthropologists; I don't think it's used any more (this was the 60's?)

(I wish everyone in this thread had their location field filled in with something meaningful; something can be offensive in one place and okay in another).
it's not just this thread, People all over have multiple random things as their location. So you'd better get used to it.

And I've yet seen an offensive location, if there's one.

soleran30
Unless your over 65; "negro" shouldn't be in your vocabulary.

Whats the proper verbage in todays world then.................black man?

DiamondBullets

Yes. "black"

Makedde

I guess my nana has an exception. stick out tongue She used to have a cat called ******, in fact, everyone had a cat or dog named ****** back in those days. You can't call an animal that now, of course, maybe because it's offensive to the animal? I know many old people who have cats or dogs named ******, not because they are racist, but because it's a name that was very popular for pets way back when. wink

Capt_Fantastic
Yes. "black"

Or turd. Either applies in your case.

Please! You sit there and act like an authority on race realtions and then turn around and intentionall fulfill every useless black stereotype in the book? What a joke.

finti
so you think they put the feeling of animals above those humans that would find it offensive?

Gregory
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
it's not just this thread, People all over have multiple random things as their location. So you'd better get used to it.

And I've yet seen an offensive location, if there's one.

I'm not "offended," and I'm perfectly used to it. At the same time, people who's argument amounts to, "Well where I live it's not offensive" shouldn't expect to get taken seriously if nobody knows where that is, since something that's socially acceptible in, say, Siberia might not be acceptable in NYC.

finti
I think they have the issue of dont eat the yellow snow in both the places you mentioned

DiamondBullets
Or turd. Either applies in your case.

Please! You sit there and act like an authority on race realtions and then turn around and intentionall fulfill every useless black stereotype in the book? What a joke.

"Or turd. Either applies in your case."

^Dude........that was weak.

I actually identify more with being Hawaiian. As far as the Black stuff; I just sayin' how it is.

Gregory
Originally posted by finti
I think they have the issue of dont eat the yellow snow in both the places you mentioned

Do we all agree that whether "Negro" is offensive is a social question?

Can we all agree that different things are acceptable in different societies? What might be offensive in one place might not be in another.

...then can't we agree that it's silly to talk about whether "Negro" is offensive when all of the people talking about it are from different parts of the world and, what's more, nobody knows where the other people are?

That's all I'm saying.

Bardock42
Well Negro in particular is an Issue of the United States, and the Thread starter is from there, so I guess he was referring to that.

finti

botankus
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well Negro in particular is an Issue of the United States, and the Thread starter is from there, so I guess he was referring to that.
Shut up, Nazi. stick out tongue

Sincerely,
Honky

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by botankus
Shut up, Nazi. stick out tongue

Sincerely,
Honky

laughing "Nazi"

Makedde
Originally posted by finti
so you think they put the feeling of animals above those humans that would find it offensive?

I was kidding.

FeceMan
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
no it's not genius.

Thanks for helping.

Go kill yourself, you worthless, pain-in-the-ass ****tard who hasn't contributed to this thread at all.
Nope, not by a longshot. "Caucasian" is both a medical and a legal term. "Negro" carries an old school stigma, and conjures images of the segregation era. Use that word in mixed company, and heads will turn, but the word "caucasian" won't that. Unless your over 65; "negro" shouldn't be in your vocabulary.
I KNOW heads will turn, and I KNOW the stigma attached to the word, but isn't it the same as Caucasian? Caucasoid --> Caucasian; negroid --> Negro?

Yeah, I mean, what the ****, like, damn that To Kill a Mockingbird shit and whatnot.

powerfulone1987
I'm not "offended," and I'm perfectly used to it. At the same time, people who's argument amounts to, "Well where I live it's not offensive" shouldn't expect to get taken seriously if nobody knows where that is, since something that's socially acceptible in, say, Siberia might not be acceptable in NYC. well you're taking the location thing to a whole other level so i'll leave this one alone.

ibleedyankeeblu
to me its like the word Jew.. its not a slur but it doesnt sound right for sum reason... blink

Blue nocturne
Negro means black, How is that offensive.

Nazgulinthedark
The word 'Negro'.

Thoughts?

isnt it black in spanish? and how can it be offensive if they have The United Negro College Fund and all kinds other organizations that have negro in the name?
methinks they are calling themselves negro ninja

Blue nocturne
Originally posted by Nazgulinthedark
isnt it black in spanish? and how can it be offensive if they have The United Negro College Fund and all kinds other organizations that have negro in the name?
methinks they are calling themselves negro ninja

You tell me, I think it's a double standard.

Nazgulinthedark
Originally posted by Blue nocturne
You tell me, I think it's a double standard.

yes, we can't call them black, we have to say "african american", but its ok for them to call us white.

Blue nocturne
yes, we can't call them black, we have to say "african american", but its ok for them to call us white.

Just like the N word.

BackFire
African American is a stupid term. Black is a fine term. The only people who will get upset over the term black are over sensitive dipshits who shouldn't be taken seriously and shouldn't leave their house because chances are they'll get offended by something stupid.

Blue nocturne
Originally posted by BackFire
African American is a stupid term. Black is a fine term. The only people who will get upset over the term black are over sensitive dipshits who shouldn't be taken seriously and shouldn't leave their house because chances are they'll get offended by something stupid.

What about the term negro?

Nazgulinthedark

and then when they do get offended they'll sue your ass for racism

BackFire
I can see why that term would offend some people, because how it used to be used. But I agree more or less with what Diamond Bullets said earlier in the thread, that it's just an outdated term.

Blue nocturne

You can sue for being offended laughing

What is up with are judicial system?

BackFire

Yeah, they can't sue me for that.

Blue nocturne
Yeah, they can't sue me for that.

But isn't racism the belief of superioty of a certian race?

BackFire
It can be.

You can't be sued for being racist though, unless you commit a crime as a result of being racist.

Blue nocturne
It can be.

You can't be sued for being racist though, unless you commit a crime as a result of being racist.

Should people get more time for hate crimes, I don't think they should.

BackFire
No they shouldn't.

Nazgulinthedark
If youre an employer and you fire a black person because they are a bad and inconsiderate worker, they can sue you for racism, but did you commit a crime by firing a bad worker?

Blue nocturne
No they shouldn't.

It's ironic society calls certain crimes a "Hate crime" but isn't crime filled with hate and malice intent generally?

BackFire
If youre an employer and you fire a black person because they are a bad and inconsiderate worker, they can sue you for racism, but did you commit a crime by firing a bad worker?

They'd have to be able to prove that they were fired because of their skin color, hard to do.

And even that isn't being sued for simply being silently racist, it's because an action was taken.

It has nothing to do with my previous post which you said would get me sued for racism.

Blue nocturne
The concept of race is stupid, I always said that.

Nazgulinthedark
They'd have to be able to prove that they were fired because of their skin color, hard to do.

And even that isn't being sued for simply being silently racist, it's because an action was taken.

It has nothing to do with my previous post which you said would get me sued for racism.

I know just saying "I'm racist" won't get you sued, I shouldnt have posted that,
but people can get sued for racism for the stupidist of things, especially in the South. This one day care worker I knew got sued by the black community for child abuse because she told a little black girl to go sit in time out because the kid was beating up the other kids. A stupid person at a register might get sued if he counts the coins wrong and accidentally shortchanges a black person.

Blue nocturne
I know just saying "I'm racist" won't get you sued, I shouldnt have posted that,
but people can get sued for racism for the stupidist of things, especially in the South. This one day care worker I knew got sued by the black community for child abuse because she told a little black girl to go sit in time out because the kid was beating up the other kids. A stupid person at a register might get sued if he counts the coins wrong and accidentally shortchanges a black person.

Like I said stupid judicial system we have, It's like that lady who sued McDonald's because she spilled hot coffee on herself.

Nazgulinthedark
Like I said stupid judicial system we have, It's like that lady who sued McDonald's because she spilled hot coffee on herself.

that lady got serious burns, and like youve never spilled anything on yourself.

Blue nocturne
that lady got serious burns, and like youve never spilled anything on yourself.

I never sued anyone for "MY MISTAKE", Doesn't McDonald's coffee read "CAUTION HOT" on the cups?

Nazgulinthedark
they only started putting that on there because the lady sued them, they didnt have that when she got burned.

Blue nocturne
they only started putting that on there because the lady sued them, they didnt have that when she got burned.

How much did she sue them for?

Nazgulinthedark
I dunno erm

Blue nocturne
I dunno erm

Looks like I'm going off topic.

Nazgulinthedark
Meh...whatever erm

The Omega

Bardock42

The Omega
(Shrugs wildly)
Is it improbable or impossible? wink

Bardock42
Originally posted by The Omega
(Shrugs wildly)
Is it improbable or impossible? wink Didn't we establish that "Impossible is nothing"?

But now talking the next 5 billion years I mean at least the differences in gender are undeniable...and won't one already be part of a group?

KidRock
The word 'Negro'.

Thoughts?

What ISNT racist these days?

Bardock42
Originally posted by KidRock
What ISNT racist these days?

Ketchup.

Nazgulinthedark
mustard! eek!

Bardock42
mustard! eek!

Racist.

lil bitchiness
The word 'Negro'.

Thoughts?

We shouldn't really refer to each other by the colour of our skin. Nothing to do with political correctness, I jsut think its unnecessary.

But anyway...a lot of my friends are black. My house mate is black as well.
The boys have told me that I should refer to them as 'nigga' cos thats what they call each other...but no matter how many times they remind me that it is ''fine'' I can't bring myself to say it (which they find funny)
They don't call me a ''white girl'' so i dont see the need to call them Negros or 'niggas' or whatever...

I don't necessarily think Negro is a racial slur.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
We shouldn't really refer to each other by the colour of our skin. Nothing to do with political correctness, I jsut think its unnecessary.

Yeah, I'm with you on that.

Judging a person on the colour of their skin is just as much a misnomer as judging them based on where they are born; both aspects are things that are out of control of the individual. Unlike characteristics such as trustworthiness, honesty, charm, sense of humor, and integrity, which should be the real basis for judging a person.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Darth Macabre

That would be "niger" not "negro".

Niger was used as a cognomen (last name or combinations of last names one is given by himself, or others, that distinguishes that man from others who posses identical first (praenomen) and family (nomen) and often pointed out a physical trait or idiosyncracy.

Many romans had the same praenomen and nomens. For example, you could walk down the streets of Rome and meet 30 Marcus Caecilius'.

However, you would address each Marcus Caecilius by his appointed cognomen such as:

Marcus Caecilius Rufus (meaning "red haired"wink

Marcus Caecilius Magnus (meaning "great"wink

Marcus Caecilius Britannicus (meaning "of britain"wink

Marcus Caecilius Lepidus (meaning "gentleman from a family of bastards"wink

Marcus Caecilius Stabo (meaning "cross-eyed"wink

or

Marcus Caecilius Niger (meaning "black haired"wink

As for the word "negro", here's kind of an interesting look at the word (as politically charged as it is, it does make some interesting points):
http://www.unia-acl.org/archive/who_r_we.htm

And well said Ya Krunk'd Floo.

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Unlike characteristics such as trustworthiness, honesty, charm, sense of humor, and integrity, which should be the real basis for judging a person.

^Who are you, Martin Luther King? laughing out loud

Bardock42

It's Dr. Martin Luther King to you...

DiamondBullets
It's Dr. Martin Luther King to you...

It's Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to you...

KharmaDog
It's Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to you...

It's RevDr. Martin Luther King Jr. to you...

Bardock42
He's dead...lets stop arguing about him....

KharmaDog
He's dead...lets stop arguing about him....

I was being more of a smat*ss than arguing, but your point is taken, on with the topic...

Ya Krunk'd Floo

"There it is, the MLK. When you absolutely, positively, have to kill every single motherf*cking post in the room; accept no substitute."

lil bitchiness
Yeah, I'm with you on that.

Judging a person on the colour of their skin is just as much a misnomer as judging them based on where they are born; both aspects are things that are out of control of the individual. Unlike characteristics such as trustworthiness, honesty, charm, sense of humor, and integrity, which should be the real basis for judging a person.
I concur, as usual.

Anyway, I would like to add something, again, while we're on the subject of 'race'.

There is just no such thing as race in humans. WE don't have sub-races or subspecies. Skin pigmentation does not constitute as a difference in race.
It doesn't do so in any other animal, and I don't get why it should in humans.

FeceMan
"There it is, the MLK. When you absolutely, positively, have to kill every single motherf*cking post in the room; accept no substitute."
LOL.
I concur, as usual.

Anyway, I would like to add something, again, while we're on the subject of 'race'.

There is just no such thing as race in humans. WE don't have sub-races or subspecies. Skin pigmentation does not constitute as a difference in race.
Meh. It's too late to change it now. As long as people aren't assholes about it, I don't see any reason it should change.

Oh, and related to this:

"In X-Men: Legends, Rogue has a special attack known as 'Southern Strike'. Now, I wonder...when she uses it, does she refuse to help the X-Men until Storm sits in the back of the Blackbird?"

(Though I suppose that one needn't ask if that's considered racially insensitive big grin.)

NineCoronas
In Spanish, Negro is that the name of the color black. "Neh-gro".

meep-meep
The word 'Negro'.

Thoughts?

Depends on the context you are using it in.

Capt_Fantastic
The word 'Negro'.

Thoughts?

Hey, call them what they are. In this system. Differentiation is a *****.

I'm sick of this "Only we can call ourselves Niggars" bullshit. If you can do it, so can we.

So,as long as they call themselves Niggars, so too can we.

They are Niggars, Negros, negroids, darkies and plowers...field hands. They're second class citizens, that's all there is to it. Unless they respect the plight of others who are also persecuted.

Blue nocturne

I'm sick of this "Only we can call ourselves Niggars" bullshit. If you can do it, so can we.

They are Niggars, Negros, negroids, darkies and plowers...field hands. They're second class citizens, that's all there is to it. Unless they respect the plight of others who are also persecuted.

Don't you think that's a bit far, not all African Americans call each other Nigga it's just a certain group, to generalize like that is very ignorant. I think this only "we can use the N-word" mentality stems from the "Everyone is against the Negro" belief.

lil bitchiness

I can't tell if you're being scarcastic with some of the comments, so I might have misunderstood.

What do you mean they are ''second class citizens''? In what way?

Blue nocturne
I can't tell if you're being scarcastic with some of the comments, so I might have misunderstood.

I think ( but I could be wrong) that he's trying to say it's okay for African Americans to be treated as second class citizens, because they are too racially sensitive and don't acknowledge other people's plights.
But this mentality comes from centuries of oppression and runs deep;But I can't speak for him.

Alpha Centauri
I concur, as usual.

You don't get why it exists...so you say "There is just no such thing as race in humans."? That strikes me as quite ignorant.

Has it truly got to the point of being racially sensitive that you would now have us all say we're the same race? If you want to be anal, yes the human race. That's a species.

There are over 450 species of shark. They're fish, all of them. So does that mean they're not different? Because if someone is African and someone else is English, it doesn't matter? We're the same?

I'm not one to judge race, I have friends from all different races and religions, but the fact is...there's a difference between being pro-equality because it's right, and being pro-equality to the point that you remove everyone's birth given right to be different.

I'm certain that in saying "We're the same", you mean well. Infact I'd say that's a fact, but that's selfish. That's Bono of U2. "Look at how much good I'm doing. Look, I want you all to see, hence the cameras being here, but I really am doing it for selfless reasons."

I'm pretty sure if you went to an Aboriginal tribesman and said "We're the same" he'd be pretty offended.

-AC

Blue nocturne
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
You don't get why it exists...so you say "There is just no such thing as race in humans."

There is no such thing, it's a social construct.

Has it truly got to the point of being racially insensitive that you would now have us all say we're the same race? If you want to be anal, yes the human race. That's a species.

There are over 450 species of shark. They're fish, all of them. So does that mean they're not different? Because if someone is African and someone else is English, it doesn't matter? We're the same?

Last I checked humans from different "RACES" can interbreed so yeah were the same species maybe different breeds but same species.

I'm pretty sure if you went to an Aboriginal tribesman and said "We're the same" he'd be pretty offended.

-AC

Too bad it's true.

lil bitchiness
You don't get why it exists...so you say "There is just no such thing as race in humans."? That strikes me as quite ignorant.

Has it truly got to the point of being racially sensitive that you would now have us all say we're the same race? If you want to be anal, yes the human race. That's a species.

I'm not one to judge race, I have friends from all different races and religions, but the fact is...there's a difference between being pro-equality because it's right, and being pro-equality to the point that you remove everyone's birth given right to be different.

I'm certain that in saying "We're the same", you mean well. Infact I'd say that's a fact, but that's selfish. That's Bono of U2. "Look at how much good I'm doing. Look, I want you all to see, hence the cameras being here, but I really am doing it for selfless reasons."

-AC

a) If you actually care to pick up a contemporary book regarding 'race' you will see that the term is no longer used due to the reasosn I mentioned above. Instead of 'race' word 'ethnicity' is used, as this term as been challeneged for a while now

b) Term 'race' came into play when a middle class white western men decided that Black people are a SUB-RACE of White people.

'Race' is a socialy constructed idea. It does NOT exist in humans.

Bardock42

Well, besides me thinking that someone shat in his orange juice this morning, I think he is referring to people like DB, who is a classical homophobe while being black. Which is indeed funny since well....you can hide your sexual orientation but not your skin colour. So if DB can keep talking about homosexuals not having the same rights, white people should have the right to talk about black people not having the same rights. But I can't speak for him....although I did....weird.

Blue nocturne
Well, besides me thinking that someone shat in his orange juice this morning, I think he is referring to people like DB, who is a classical homophobes while being black. Which is indeed funny since well....you can hide your sexual orientation but not your skin colour. So if DB can keep talking about homosexuals not having the same rights, white people should have the right to talk about black people not having the same rights. But I can't speak for him....although I did....weird.

So because "ONE" black guy is a homophobes, blacks should be treated as second class citizens laughing what a stupid analogy.

Alpha Centauri
a) If you actually care to pick up a contemporary book regarding 'race' you will see that the term is no longer used due to the reasosn I mentioned above. Instead of 'race' word 'ethnicity' is used, as this term as been challeneged for a while now

b) Term 'race' came into play when a middle class white western men decided that Black people are a SUB-RACE of White people.

No longer used. Yes.

There are many words that were used during my father's day, now no longer used. It doesn't mean they don't exist. It just isn't used. There is a difference. A very clear one.

So basically, same bottle, different label. Essentially you're arguing a silly point.

'Race' is a socialy constructed idea. It does NOT exist in humans.

There's also a difference between not liking why something exists, and denying that it exists.

The term "race" came about in a negative way, fine. That doesn't erase the fact that it could easily be used in a neutral way. Because we aren't actually all the same are we? We are a single species with many different types of human in that species. Like any other animal. I use the term "race", not in the same negative way as those white western men, but in the exact same way as ethnicity is used, and contrary to your blinkered belief, it's as applicable.

If you'd bothered to pay attention to the world, you'd know that.

-AC

Bardock42
So because "ONE" black guy is a homophobes, blacks should be treated as second class citizens laughing what a stupid analogy.

I see you can read. No wait, I didn't say that...try again.

Blue nocturne

If you'd bothered to pay attention to the world, you'd know that.

-AC

So what proof do you have that people of another "race" are different species?

I see you can read. No wait, I didn't say that...try again.

I was not referring to you, so why did you quote me?

Alpha Centauri
What proof do you have that I said they were a different species, and not a variation and different type of the same species (human)?

What proof do you have of that? I'm guessing none, but shucks, indulge me.

(Save yourself the reply, I never said they were a different species. For further details, see: My posts.)

-AC

Blue nocturne
What proof do you have that I said they were a different species, and not a variation and different type of the same species (human)?

What proof do you have of that? I'm guessing none, but shucks, indulge me.

(Save yourself the reply, I never said they were a different species. For further details, see: My posts.)

-AC

Maybe it's when you used that whole "450 species of shark" analogy.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>