Would Star wars still be interesting without Jedi?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Hello Friend
Without Lightsabers, Force Powers, Sith Lords, etc.

I think it would still be interesting, just not as good. We'd still have great characters like Han Solo, Chewy, etc. Hell, Luke would have still worked as a good starpilot.

But it means no Yoda, no Ben Kenobi (or, a very different one)

Fishy
No...

Well it might be, its just hard to imagine Star Wars without the force and it would kinda ruin a lot of what made the movies great there could still be a lot of EU but if the force would suddenly be removed from the movies, well you might just as well throw them away. Even the OT when the show of force was far less then in the PT would be worthless.

General G
Originally posted by Fishy
No...

Well it might be, its just hard to imagine Star Wars without the force and it would kinda ruin a lot of what made the movies great there could still be a lot of EU but if the force would suddenly be removed from the movies, well you might just as well throw them away. Even the OT when the show of force was far less then in the PT would be worthless.

pretty much

ESB - 1138
Originally posted by Hello Friend
Without Lightsabers, Force Powers, Sith Lords, etc.

I think it would still be interesting, just not as good. We'd still have great characters like Han Solo, Chewy, etc. Hell, Luke would have still worked as a good starpilot.

But it means no Yoda, no Ben Kenobi (or, a very different one)

Pointless thread really. That's like saying would the Lord of the Rings be as good without the One Ring or would the Matrix be better without the matrix. Star Wars (if anything) focuses on the Jedi.

Tangible God
The whole concept of SW revolves around Jedi and the Force--with lightsabers.

Dark Aristokrat
I'd like SW without the Jedi, personally. Just the sci-fi universe without the concept of jedi knights is interesting enough for me. I think since the PT came out, SW has become a saberfest, and it's annoying after awhile. Look at the versus thread: 99% saber to saber combat.

Captain REX
Pretty much.

Faroth
Yeah, the OT had just enough of everything. It'd be OK, just not as actiony.

Dark Aristokrat
I kinda liked it. Plus it had that dark, gritty and industrial 80s feel.

Faroth
What did?

Dark Aristokrat
The OT

Illustrious
Yeah, I agree that the PT basically became one bad Chinese martial arts movie with saberfight after saberfight. The sad thing is, Chinese martial arts movies probably have better choreography (chalk that up to better choreographers and people who actually know WTF they're doing).

SW could probably be a decently successful series without Jedi, but it wouldn't be the global phenomenon sans lightsaber fights.

DE Calvin
The main characters are Jedi so...WTF???

SnakeEyes
For me, personally, I wouldn't find Star Wars nearly as interesting. I mean, I'm sure I'd still like it, but it really wouldn't be the same. The Force wouldn't exist, and to me, that is an essential part of the Star Wars mythos. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you took away the Force/Jedi/Sith and so forth, it wouldn't be nearly as unique, and for me, it would be less interesting.

DE Calvin
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
For me, personally, I wouldn't find Star Wars nearly as interesting. I mean, I'm sure I'd still like it, but it really wouldn't be the same. The Force wouldn't exist, and to me, that is an essential part of the Star Wars mythos. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you took away the Force/Jedi/Sith and so forth, it wouldn't be nearly as unique, and for me, it would be less interesting.
You NAILED it.

JaehSkywalker
no...

Dark Aristokrat
Originally posted by Illustrious
Yeah, I agree that the PT basically became one bad Chinese martial arts movie with saberfight after saberfight. The sad thing is, Chinese martial arts movies probably have better choreography (chalk that up to better choreographers and people who actually know WTF they're doing).

SW could probably be a decently successful series without Jedi, but it wouldn't be the global phenomenon sans lightsaber fights.

Perhaps not, but it'd still be a cult classic.

Tangible God
Frankly, I feel the PT could do with a little less Jedi stuff.

But when it comes to the post-ROTJ books, I skip right over anything that involves Luke or his students contemplating the Force, or how nor to use it.

Decay
it depends on how much the characters and the universe changed as a result. would palpatine still be the evil manipulating emperor. would anakin still be vader with a suit after making some wrong decisions in his life. would he even have met palpatine. the movies themselves would change, but so would the characters. the eu would be cool, but not much different than other sci fi universes.

FistOfThe North
I take it no one would be interested in the post-Jedi purge era in between ep.3 and 4. Cause those times are basically Jedi-less.

I dunno. When I see Star Wars I see more than the Jedi and the Force. I love the politics, the different cultures on other Star Systems and they're history and the legal and illegal business activities that go on and about the galaxy between merchants, weapons dealers, bounty hunters and corporate giants. I've even read Star Wars stories that didn't even involve Jedi that I found very interesting. So yea, to me Star Wars would still be interesting without Jedi.

FistOfThe North
*their

The book "Tales from Jabba's Palace" was a great read and the stories in it were practically Jedi-less.

As a matter of fact, I highly recommend it.

Fishy
Of course can be good without Jedi, great even. Some of the best things of Star Wars don't involve Jedi. But the Jedi are a part of Star Wars, the force is. Star Wars would not be Star Wars without the force. A book without it is a completely different thing then an entire universe without it. And I doubt that the movies would have been as much of a succes if there wouldn't have been a force.

We wouldn't have Yoda, we wouldn't have Darth Vader and especially not in that way, we wouldn't have the raw emotional fights and Palpatine trying to turn Anakin or Luke would be.."I have a good dental plan"

The story just wouldn't be the same. The universe might still have been good but without the force it would never have been this good.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Fishy
Of course can be good without Jedi, great even. Some of the best things of Star Wars don't involve Jedi. But the Jedi are a part of Star Wars, the force is. Star Wars would not be Star Wars without the force. A book without it is a completely different thing then an entire universe without it. And I doubt that the movies would have been as much of a succes if there wouldn't have been a force.

We wouldn't have Yoda, we wouldn't have Darth Vader and especially not in that way, we wouldn't have the raw emotional fights and Palpatine trying to turn Anakin or Luke would be.."I have a good dental plan"

The story just wouldn't be the same. The universe might still have been good but without the force it would never have been this good.

Understandable.

I agree that, overall, SW with the Jedi and the Force make for better stories than without them. Just saying It doesn't become uninteresting if they're not apart of a tale.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.