A V-Day Question

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DanieLs_4_Ever
Why do some people pronounce Valentines Day "Valentimes Day" ?? I've never figured that out. It irks me, to be quite honest erm

rickyduck
cos they're thick?

KENobi™
Originally posted by rickyduck
cos they're thick?

yes

Morning_Glory
blink

Bloigen
I own.

Commando Queen
I dunno.. i know my older cousin says it because she cant pronounce it the right way

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by Bloigen
I own.

no

Bloigen
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
no

yes

Alpha Centauri
I swear Morning Glory just posts one word to boost post count.

On topic: Yes, cos they're thick.

-AC

bloody bows1
bloigen may own but i own more
cool

Violet_Byatch
What's the big deal?
People pronounce things differently

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Violet_Byatch
What's the big deal?

The big deal would be that it's "Valentine's Day" not "Valentime's Day".

When did it become ok to say a word differently than intended, whilst knowing it's wrong?

-AC

Violet_Byatch
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

When did it become ok to say a word differently than intended, whilst knowing it's wrong?

-AC

So people can't help pronouncing it that way.

Like for instance....ME embarrasment

K.Diddy
Originally posted by DanieLs_4_Ever
Why do some people pronounce Valentines Day "Valentimes Day" ?? I've never figured that out. It irks me, to be quite honest erm

Never thought about it, noticed, or cared to be quite honest smile

Raven Guardia

-AC

there is no big deal unless your anal enough to make it one erm so what if its not pronounced perfectly. Not everyone can pronounce every word correctly.

Alpha Centauri
So people can't help pronouncing it that way.

Like for instance....ME embarrasment

You can, really. Instead of 'm', it's an 'n'. Simple, impossible to NOT do.

-AC

Violet_Byatch
Originally posted by Raven Guardia
there is no big deal unless your anal enough to make it one erm so what if its not pronounced perfectly. Not everyone can pronounce every word correctly.

Thank you big grin

Alpha Centauri

If you pronounce it wrong without knowing the actual way it should be pronounced, fine.

If you pronounce a word wrong in the face of actually knowing it's wrong just because you "don't care", then that's stupid. Not asking you to agree, Raven. Just the way it is.

-AC

Violet_Byatch
You can, really. Instead of 'm', it's an 'n'. Simple, impossible to NOT do.

-AC

Everybody says things differently.

Like-
Vase
Chocolate
Tomato
Carmel

etc.

Alpha Centauri
Everybody says things differently.

Like-
Vase
Chocolate
Tomato
Carmel

etc.

Yeah that's different and mostly down to accent. Eg: Vase is spelt the same all the time. American's pronounce "A" as "ay", a lot of the time. Other's, for example England, say "ah". Vayse/Vahse. Both are still 'Vase'.

Carmel is actually meant to be "Caramel", that's what it's called. It's like American's who say "'erbs". It's not like that.

"Valentine" and "Valentime" are completely different. You know "m" sounds different to "n" and you know that "n" is the correct one. I'm not picking on you, really, there's just no logic there.

-AC

Raven Guardia
If you pronounce it wrong without knowing the actual way it should be pronounced, fine.

If you pronounce a word wrong in the face of actually knowing it's wrong just because you "don't care", then that's stupid. Not asking you to agree, Raven. Just the way it is.

-AC

of course its the way it is. I forgot who this was coming from.

Honestly, its no BIG DEAL. people are not stupid just because they don't want to pronounce words right, that would just be silliness(on purpose) or laziness. The way people say things does not make them stupid. Different regions have different ways pronunciation. And some even if they know they right way of saying it, they cant. Some people just have harder times saying certain words.

Violet_Byatch
Yeah that's different and mostly down to accent. Eg: Vase is spelt the same all the time. American's pronounce "A" as "ay", a lot of the time. Other's, for example England, say "ah". Vayse/Vahse. Both are still 'Vase'.

Carmel is actually meant to be "Caramel", that's what it's called. It's like American's who say "'erbs". It's not like that.

"Valentine" and "Valentime" are completely different. You know "m" sounds different to "n" and you know that "n" is the correct one. I'm not picking on you, really, there's just no logic there.

-AC

Well i'm PROMISING you that i say it differently from Valentines. I can't help it.

Alpha Centauri
people are not stupid just because they don't want to pronounce words right

Yes, they are.

If you have a medical condition that doesn't allow you to pronounce words correctly, that's fine. Not your fault because you genuinely cannot pronounce it right even if you wanted to. You are confusing "Can't" with "Won't".

If you purposefully say a word differently and incorrectly in spite of knowing that you are wrong, you're stupid and you don't deserve use of the English language.

Well i'm PROMISING you that i say it differently from Valentines. I can't help it.

Unless you have a medical condition that stops you from pronouncing words right, yes you can help it. Like I said, not picking on you, but it's true.

-AC

DanieLs_4_Ever
What's the big deal?
I didn't say it was a big deal, really, I just said it irks me.

Violet_Byatch
Yes, they are.

If you have a medical condition that doesn't allow you to pronounce words correctly, that's fine. Not your fault because you genuinely cannot pronounce it right even if you wanted to. You are confusing "Can't" with "Won't".

If you purposefully say a word differently and incorrectly in spite of knowing that you are wrong, you're stupid and you don't deserve use of the English language.

Unless you have a medical condition that stops you from pronouncing words right, yes you can help it. Like I said, not picking on you, but it's true.

-AC

Fine! Fine fine fine!

I'll just stop saying it the way I've been taught for the past 20 years and say it your way.

Yeah that's likely roll eyes (sarcastic)

Raven Guardia

dude you take things way to serious. your so anal about stuff. WHO CARES? whats it really hurting for someone to not pronounce a word right by choice. Its not hurting anyone, if anything its just a poor reflection on themselves. other then that there is nothing you can do about it. Its not braking any laws, its not a crime. so don't get so uptight about it. Chill out.

Alpha Centauri
Fine! Fine fine fine!

I'll just stop saying it the way I've been taught for the past 20 years and say it your way.

Yeah that's likely roll eyes (sarcastic)

Not actually my way though is it? It's the correct way. If someone said "Pronounce 'The' as 'Cat'" would you do it?

Originally posted by Ravan Guardia
dude you take things way to serious. your so anal about stuff. WHO CARES? whats it really hurting for someone to not pronounce a word right by choice. Its not hurting anyone, if anything its just a poor reflection on themselves. other then that there is nothing you can do about it. Its not braking any laws, its not a crime. so don't get so uptight about it. Chill out.

You're the one so obviously bothered by my comments. Go and find the post where I said it was a crime, law-breaking or hurting anyone. Please do.

That doesn't change the fact that it's idiocy.

-AC

KENobi™
I agree with AC on this one.

It's not even pronouncing the word wrong, it's a different word altogether. N and M are different letters, different sounds, creating different meanings when used in Valenti_es.

Valentime? What is that? A time of the day for Valens? That makes no sence whatsoever.

Raven Guardia
You're the one so obviously bothered by my comments. Go and find the post where I said it was a crime, law-breaking or hurting anyone. Please do.

That doesn't change the fact that it's idiocy.

-AC

now your entering "I am turning this around on you" mode.By saying "you're stupid and you don't deserve use of the English language." obviously thats pretty harsh and getting pretty carried away erm.And if your gonna use extreme example for something as little as pronouncing a word wrong on purpose, and then actually believe it thats idiocy right there. I never said you said it was a crime or breaking any laws but you seem to think its as extreme as that roll eyes (sarcastic)

Alpha Centauri
now your entering "I am turning this around on you" mode.By saying "you're stupid and you don't deserve use of the English language." obviously thats pretty harsh and getting pretty carried away erm.And if your gonna use extreme example for something as little as pronouncing a word wrong on purpose, and then actually believe it thats idiocy right there. I never said you said it was a crime or breaking any laws but you seem to think its as extreme as that roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'm an idiot for calling someone who purposefully misuses the English language, an idiot? Yes...sure. You're not psychic, Raven. You don't know what I seem to think until I tell you so.

I seem to think it's extreme idiocy, nothing more. Why? Because it is. Think to yourself.

"This word says 'Cat', but I shall say 'Kut' because I want to."

Idiotic isn't it? Yes.

-AC

Raven Guardia
I'm an idiot for calling someone who purposefully misuses the English language, an idiot? Yes...sure. You're not psychic, Raven. You don't know what I seem to think until I tell you so.

I seem to think it's extreme idiocy, nothing more. Why? Because it is. Think to yourself.

"This word says 'Cat', but I shall say 'Kut' because I want to."

Idiotic isn't it? Yes.

-AC

your an idiot for for being so serious about it. Its not harming you for someone to purposly say it wrong, so why worry about it.

where did I say I was Pyschic hmmm?? prove it to me.

I will think to myself, when you start doing it too.

if people want to pronouce it wrong let them, I dont see why it bothers you so much.

Alpha Centauri
your an idiot for for being so serious about it. Its not harming you for someone to purposly say it wrong, so why worry about it.

A) It's "You're".

B) I'm not being serious at all, I'm just commenting.

C) I'm not worrying about it. Two lines of attack and all you achieved was a spelling mistake (in the midst of calling me an idiot) and two wrong assumptions.

Off to a bad start.

where did I say I was Pyschic hmmm?? prove it to me.

Where did I say you said you were? I just told you that you're not.

I will think to myself, when you start doing it too.

if people want to pronouce it wrong let them, I dont see why it bothers you so much.

Doesn't "bother" me so much, but I have the freedom to comment that it's idiotic because it is.

You are the one getting so overly worked up about this and continually insisting that I am, won't change that.

-AC

Raven Guardia
A) It's "You're".

B) I'm not being serious at all, I'm just commenting.

C) I'm not worrying about it. Two lines of attack and all you achieved was a spelling mistake (in the midst of calling me an idiot) and two wrong assumptions.

Off to a bad start.

Where did I say you said you were? I just told you that you're not.

Doesn't "bother" me so much, but I have the freedom to comment that it's idiotic because it is.

You are the one getting so overly worked up about this and continually insisting that I am, won't change that.

-AC

A) so now your fixing spelling mistakes, WOW you really are anal

B) your comments are a bit extreme erm

C) you prove yet once again to be anal

but by saying that I am not Psychic, had to come from somewhere? you just don't randomly tell people there not Psychic. so where in your clever head did you get the impression that I thought I was Psychic??

you can comment if you want, but what you think doesn't automatically make it true.

I am not worked up, you actually have me laughing. Your taking something so pointless as a mispronounced word and making into a huge ordeal.

WrathfulDwarf
Pity the thread turned into this conflict.

Closed on request.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.