Playstation 2 Woes: Cooling fan isn't working

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
So I was over a friend's house, and while friend A was playing, friend B tripped over the out-stretched controller cord, and the PS2 comes falling down about 4 feet to the ground. The DVD drive got jammed, and I had to open the console up to get it unjammed. Put it back together, and it ejects fine and everything. I put the game in, and it works perfectly.

But something seems a little off. The PS2 is too quiet. I turn it around, and the fan isn't functioning. I took it apart again this morning to see if I missed a connection, but no luck.

Does anyone with a knowledge of the PS2 have any idea if the fan is what's not working, or is there some circuitry that may have been fried, causing the fan to not work?

I'm getting a fan off ebay in hopes that it's only a mechanical failure. If that doesn't work, though, does anyone have any idea what the problem may be?

Lana
Not a clue....our PS2 took a similar dive a few years ago, but the fan still worked fine, it was the lens that got messed.

dave123
It's not an xbox?

Seems like quite a big problem to me....

JKozzy
I take it this is a much more common problem on an Xbox than a PS2, then?

dave123
I meant the fact that you have a PS2 as opposed to an xbox is a problem wink

JKozzy
Meh, I might eventually get one. Xbox has nothing I want to play, especially since Halo 2 is being ported to PC (Windows Vista only, though)

stick out tongue

So, yeah.. back on topic. Anyone know any remedy?

dave123
Halo 2 really isn't all that erm

Temporary solution would be to cool it with an external fan (a 'real' one) and only play it for short periods... or put a sealed bag of ice on it big grin

JKozzy
I was thinking about the external fan as a temporary solution, but I'm not sure if it'd blow into the console enough.

How long would it take for the console to fry and/or shut off without a fan? erm

dave123
I dunno, but as soon as you notice it taking too long to load up, turn it off

JKozzy
Just read on another site that average time before it goes out is about 20 minutes...

Purchased this from ebay, I have a version 7. I'm praying this does the trick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-2-COOLING-FAN-POWER-BLOCK-Version-5-8- PS2_W0QQitemZ8257765971QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmd
ZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

powerfulone1987
whose system is it?

I would get another system.

is it comprehensible.....

JKozzy
Mine. And why would I want to get another system for $150 if I can get a new fan for $10? A new system is my last resort.

Alpha Centauri
I know several people, including myself, who went through multiple PS2's.

Most unreliable machine there is and it's not a matter of "I can put a fan on it." Should you have to?

-AC

Mišt
laughing out loud If this thread was about an xbox, people would be bitching about Microsoft and its faults...

Maybe you knocked it out of place a bit or something...can you check to see where the fan is plugged in? Do you play it standing up or lying down?

JKozzy
It was being played lying down horizontally -- I've unplugged the fan from the motherboard and replugged it several times, tried adjusting the fan' mechanical parts, but nothing. Either the fan itself is busted, or some circuitry was fried, I don't know which erm

powerfulone1987
That's just me, I wouldn't want a messed up Playstation 2. I would buy one before I would open it up and go that deep into it.

*Oh, it's not working*

*To the store to buy a new one*

(*Not open it up and all that, I 'd be afraid that I would mess it up even more beyond prepare*)

But if you know what you're doing, more power to you.

Alpha Centauri
You shouldn't have to do that, though.

You should be able to buy your PS2, take it home and barring some massive freak malfunction or accident, keep it for as long as you desire (realistically).

It shouldn't have to go into repairing your own PS2 or checking to make sure it works when you buy it.

-AC

Lana
Hey, our PS2 has gotten the hell beat out of it and barring the incident when it fell five feet to the floor and had to get the lens replaced (which they did for free, including shipping and such), it's never had any problem stick out tongue

You drop a system from that height, something's going to go wrong.

JKozzy
So I got the fan, and nothing. I'm thinking that it might be a fuse. Any other opinions?

Red Superfly
I'm on my third PS2.

Everyone I know that has ever had a PS2, has had theirs break, stop working or become tempermental.

Shocking build quality. I'm surprised someone hasn't died, not from an electric shock, but from the huge slap to the face that Sony likes to dish out to most of its customers.

stunna1773
ur fans f'ed u need a new one.

i had the same problem with mine

JKozzy
I put a known-working fan inside and it still doesn't work.

powerfulone1987
Well now will you buy a new one ?

JKozzy
More than likely. I wasn't going to get a new one for $100+ if I could fix it with a $9 part, though. That would make zero sense.

powerfulone1987
Were you playing games regularly before it broke?

is it comprehensiible.....

JKozzy
Yes.

Refused
Sucks, i'd gut it out 'til the PS3 comes out but that's just me.

JKozzy
That's going to more than likely be another year, I'd rather not.

SaTsuJiN
I found this advice :

# The fan quit on my PS2. How do I fix it?

(0 ratings) submitted by game masta (B, 82%, 14 ratings), Feb 1, 06

I'd say send it into a repair shop to get fixed EB games and futureshop should repair it deping on the damage.

Then on this particular site they're offering a fan you plug into the USB port for 10 bucks.. http://www.saveware.com/ps2_replacement_parts.htm

JKozzy
Yeah, problem is it doesn't read most of my games anymore, only a select few. Which pushed me over the edge that it was more than just the fan, but the motherboard. And I don't want to get into fiddling to fix that. That's not worth my time, Fixing the fan would've been.

Thanks for the advice though, SaTsuJiN. smile

powerfulone1987
yeah, i was considering waiting for the PS3 when I had my little incident with my system, but I decided not to and bought a new one.

El_NINO
Originally posted by JKozzy
So I got the fan, and nothing. I'm thinking that it might be a fuse. Any other opinions?

Take it to a expert, they will help you out

El_NINO
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
yeah, i was considering waiting for the PS3 when I had my little incident with my system, but I decided not to and bought a new one.

You may want to read what I posted

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=375090&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=18

powerfulone1987
Ok, I read it. Now what?

JKozzy
Alright, so I got a new slim PS2. In anticipation for getting a new PS2, I updated my old PS2's modchip's OS/BIOS. Later I have a friend over and show him how games don't work. Updating the BIOS made it work again, somehow. Now the fan was the only problem. After finding some good help on the Afterdawn forums, I came across this link: http://www.bradnkristy.com/PS2fan/

I followed the instructions, and presto! Fan worked again! It looks silly but it works. $7 cable saves me $150. Now the fan gets power from the USB port. Here are some images for those interested:
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/3323/ps2front8uc.jpg

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/3541/ps2side6ek.jpg

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/92/ps2back22bn.jpg

Just like new.. laughing out loud

powerfulone1987
So what about your new slim ps2?

JKozzy
It's being returned so I can get my money back. If/when this one goes for good, I'll get a new PS2 then, when I need it. Now I'm considering using the money from the slim PS2 to possibly invest in an Xbox.

powerfulone1987
you wouldn't rather get a Xbox 360 than a Xbox, although I wouldn't get either.

JKozzy
No, I don't want a 360. I'm more interested in the modifications of an Xbox console, and all of the different programs and emulators that have been developed for the system by the masses of amateur programmers. None of that exists for the 360, plus the price is almost triple of the Xbox's. I'll look into it in maybe a month or so, right now I'm happy I was able to get my PS2 to work again. I'm anticipating the US release of Kingdom Hearts II with much enthusiasm, which is why I scrambled to find a solution.

powerfulone1987
Oh yeah, I never thought of that. What misery you would have been in if when Kingdom Hearts 2 came out and you had no way of playing it.
I forgot how close it's release date is.
I may get it.

Any games you're looking forward to playing on Xbox.

JKozzy
Halo/Halo2, Fable, Project Gotham 2, haven't really looked into it much.

powerfulone1987
I'm not sure but haven't you said how over rated the Halo games are?

JKozzy
They are, but they're still fun games.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.