Wheel of time vs. Dragonlance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shogun DXPSI
I love the dragonlance series, but i haven't gotten around reading the wheel of time series, I was just wondering which is better

Council#13
let's see...

Dragonlance!!!

Azure
hi!! i dont know know what Wheel of Time is, but i really dont know much, but i agree with you, Dragonlance is sooo much better than anything!

Morridini
I would say the Wheel of Time, as I have never heard of Dragonlace.

Azure
of corse im giong to argue!

Council#13
Defend Dragonlance using the magic, gifts for Solinari, Lunitari, and Nuitari!

Gregory
Dragonlance is mostly awful. On the other hand, Wheel of Time is, what, twelve books long already, and clearly isn't going anywhere. So, uh ... whichever.

Morridini
Well WoT ends with the next book, nr 12...and the three prologues...and the book about WoT...and probably some epilogues, it never will end.

Azure
Originally posted by Council#13
Defend Dragonlance using the magic, gifts for Solinari, Lunitari, and Nuitari! wow i never thought you wuold say anything like that.....COOL!!

Azure
Originally posted by Gregory
Dragonlance is mostly awful. On the other hand, Wheel of Time is, what, twelve books long already, and clearly isn't going anywhere. So, uh ... whichever. 12... thats it? Dragonlance has over60 books, and if i am right... whitch is hardly ever... they are still writing a few

Azure
Ast kiranann Soth-aran/Suh kali Jalaran
Ast kair Gardurm Soth-aran/ Suh kali Jalaran
Ast bilak moiparalan/ Suh akvalar tantangusar

Est Suluras oth MIthas

Gregory
"DragonLance" isn't a series like Wheel of Time is; it's just all of the books published by TSR that take place in that game world. I don't think any single DragonLance series is more than a trilogy, discounting the books that are only tied together by a commen theme ("ancient races," whatever).

Which makes the original question sort of meaningless, since different books are written by different authors. I have sort of a soft spot for the early Weiss/Hickman stuff (although I don't ever plan on rereading it), but the rest of it is about what you'd expect from books based on a Dungeons and Dragons game (i.e. bad).

Shogun DXPSI
well initially i was trying to say Weiss/Hickman, i gotta say they're the best authors for Dragonlance

Morridini
So dragonlace is a lot of books concerning different characters and settings just in the same world? The world they live in being the only mutual factor?

Azure
ok.. i first want to say, have any of you actually read the books? and understood them? and no, Dragonlance books are NOT just books that are concerning different characters and settings in the same world. There is a book on just about every character in the group. Then there is the main story on all of them put together. And even tho there are different authors, that only gives us a chance to read somthing different, and not the same writing style. even tho i have only read 6 books so far, if you ask Council#13, he has read more than me, so hell know more.

Azure
oops! hell is actually supposed to be he'll, forgot to type the puncuation mark

Gregory
"The group?" You mean the Heroes of the Lance? Yes, there are stories about every member of the group, some of which directly contradict each other--for example, the knight goes to one of the moons and meets a dragon, then doesn't believe in dragons in a book that's supposed to take place later. This is because the books about the individual heroes were written later, by different people, in an attempt by TSR to cash of the first trilogy's success.

And then--because I'm right about what DragonLance is, and you are not (if you've only read six books, it's no wonder you missed this stuff)--there are all of the DragonLance books that have nothing in common with each other except that they're set in the same world--one about Huma the knight, an d Kaz the minotaur, and one about the under-sea elves--the time has long passed since I could think of their names)--the ones about the three other tribes of elves, the one about the minotaur regiment, the one about the Dragons, the one about that sailor woman and her crew, two books about Weasle (if you really want, I could try to find the names of all these books, but it seems like sort of a waste of time), the Citadel of Magic trilogy, several story anthologies, and so forth.

Gregory
Against my better judgment, I poked around Amazon and found the names of some of the books I listed above, plus a few others, all unrelated except that they occur on Krynn:

The Dragons
The Gully Dwarves
The Kagonesti
The Dargonesti
The Irda
Land of the Minotaurs
Fistandantalus Reborn
Vinas Solamnus
All of the New Adventures books (at least seven)
Children of the Plains
Brother of the Dragon
The Gates of Thorbarden
Weasel's Luck
Gallen Beknighted
The Magic of Krynn (anthology)
Kender, Gully Dwarves, and Gnomes (anthology)

I enjoyed them as a kid, but most of these authors are hacks. Even Weis and Hickman--the best of the bunch, but hardly literary superstars--are better in there non-DragonLance stuff, where they have the freedom to do their own thing.

Morridini
I just found out that an author I like, Richard A. Kaan, has written some Dragonlace books. Are they any good Gregory (assuming u have read them)?

Gregory
You mean Knaak? I haven't read any DragonLance novels in a long time, but I believe that I considered The Legend of Huma, which he wrote, to be a very good book when I read it, and I think I liked Kaaz the Minotaur (although not as much); those are the only books I've read by him.

(Disclaimer: I had awful tastes as a kid)

Morridini
Yeah I meant Knaak.

Azure
You mean Knaak? I haven't read any DragonLance novels in a long time, but I believe that I considered The Legend of Huma, which he wrote, to be a very good book when I read it, and I think I liked Kaaz the Minotaur (although not as much); those are the only books I've read by him.

(Disclaimer: I had awful tastes as a kid) its not an awful taste if it is Dragonlance

Council#13
Dragonlance so owns Wheel of Time. Wheel of Time sounds dumb stick out tongue

Azure
i dont think you should judge it like that but...I have to agree with you, to protect Dragonlacce

Council#13
okay okay, Wheel of time is "okay" but dragonlance is better

Azure
that is putting it more nicely

Smasandian
Dragonlance so owns Wheel of Time. Wheel of Time sounds dumb stick out tongue

Have you even read the series?

You cant compare if you havent read this series.

I cant say which one is better because I havent read dragonlace, but I tell you one thing, Wheel of Time is soo envolved. Im at the 6th book, and I still havent even scratched the surface

Gregory
That's because Jordon is completely incapable of getting to the point.

Azure
I do agree with you, we shouldnt jump to conclusions, but nothing has ever caught my intrest so much as Dragonlance has, I wouldnt mind if you yelled by using all capital letters, that was what we did to you people

Smasandian
That's because Jordon is completely incapable of getting to the point.

As I said before, its only the 6th book I'm at, but I do like how he explains everthing around you and makes the series plot feel like it is actually happening.

It kept my interest so far, and the books so far, still include so many major plot points that allows for that many books.
The length of each book is alot, but the characters to me seem real, and motivated by something other than the plot of the book.

(It's really hard for me to really point of why I like it, but thats pretty much it)

Morridini
Well WoT do go a bit downhill at 7-9, however the end of 9 was great, and again 10 wasn't anything special. 11 was good though.

Azure
I am finally on The Second Generation (this was directed to Council #13)

Council#13
Originally posted by Smasandian
Have you even read the series?

You cant compare if you havent read this series.

I cant say which one is better because I havent read dragonlace, but I tell you one thing, Wheel of Time is soo envolved. Im at the 6th book, and I still havent even scratched the surface

Nah, I havent read it. Never heard of it either. I like involved books. Maybe I'll try out Wheel of Time

Azure, that's good! It links to the War of Souls and also Dragons of A Summer Flame

Azure
yay for me!!!

Azure
Wow! this thread really died!

Council#13
Yeah, I know! stick out tongue maybe because dragonlance won!!!

Super Kal El
Wheel of Time is soo much better in nearly every way, the most boring book of the series (Book 10) is more deep and interesting then the best Dragonlance story - that should produce some reinterest in the series

Council#13
Have you even read a single dragonlance book? Because if you had, I bet you wouldnt say that. Undoubtedly Wheel of Time is more in depth (according to Azure) but that does NOT make it better. The only series where the worst book is better than a dragonlance book is the very slim chance of the Bartimaeus Trilogy

Azure
what age group is Wheel of Time recommended for? (*puts finger to lips* dont tell them what uors is yet Council#13)

Azure
Yeah, I know! stick out tongue maybe because dragonlance won!!!
mabe they dont want to deal with us fools anymore sick

Council#13
Because we're right??? stick out tongue

Azure
DOMINATION AT LAST!!! laughing

Azure
hear ye! hear ye! listen and understand! At last Dragonlance is victorious! long weeks have we slaved in battle with steel and cobweb! Many have died, but they fought with honor- knight or not a knight- so may Paladine gather their souls and let them rest in peace. We do not morn the loss of those who have fullfilled their destenys. Well enough of that, LET'S DRINK!beer

Morridini
Originally posted by Azure
what age group is Wheel of Time recommended for?

Books have recommended age groups? That's not common here at least, however I personally know 4 ppl who read them, me (19), a friend (19), another friend (22) and my cousin (21).

And just to put a new twist on the debate, use this site called Googlefigth to compare WoT and Dragonlace, it compares the amount of hits google get when searching for two terms, and compare them. http://googlefight.com/

Results: http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=%22Wheel+of+Time%22&word2=Dragonlace

MistressofSnape
um... Can somebody tell how many books are in the Wheel of Time series? Thanks, in advance.

Council#13
hear ye! hear ye! listen and understand! At last Dragonlance is victorious! long weeks have we slaved in battle with steel and cobweb! Many have died, but they fought with honor- knight or not a knight- so may Paladine gather their souls and let them rest in peace. We do not morn the loss of those who have fullfilled their destenys. Well enough of that, LET'S DRINK!beer

Happy Dance Palandine, Takhisis, and the lesser gods are also battered from the battle. The mages of High Sorcery are nearly vanquished, and the clerics in the land are nearly gone. But we won! Wheel of Time has been CRUSHED. Our forces will recover and we'll move against Deltora Quest!!! (we're gonna leave LOTR, HP, and the Bartimaeus Trilogy alone though yes )

Morridini
Originally posted by MistressofSnape
um... Can somebody tell how many books are in the Wheel of Time series? Thanks, in advance.

11 main books so far, the series will end with 12 books. There are also going to be 3 prologues, so far only one has been released. There is also a book about the Wheel of Time world.

MistressofSnape
So are these long novels? (i.e. more than 300 pages) If their more than 100 but less than 200 pages I won't read 'em. My theory is short books don't make good reads. Except The Little Prince and Curious George, but that's another story all together.

Morridini
Each book is between 700-1000 pages I think.

MistressofSnape
Wow... so long... So what's the first one,...and the second and third?

Morridini
The names of the books?

1-Eye of the World
2-The Great Hunt
3-The Dragon reborn
4-The Shadow Rising
5-The Fires of Heaven
6-Lords of Chaos
7-A Crown of Swords
8-The Path of Daggers
9- Winter's Heart
10-Crossorads
11-Knife of Dreams

Azure
Happy Dance Palandine, Takhisis, and the lesser gods are also battered from the battle. The mages of High Sorcery are nearly vanquished, and the clerics in the land are nearly gone. But we won! Wheel of Time has been CRUSHED. Our forces will recover and we'll move against Deltora Quest!!! (we're gonna leave LOTR, HP, and the Bartimaeus Trilogy alone though yes ) What the hell! mad I love Deltora Quest!

Azure
TRATOIR!!!!!!!!

Council#13
fine, we can leave Deltora Quest alone

mailedbypostman
Lol, googleffight killed dragonlance. Still might try dragonlance out...

MAYBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....

Azure
fine, we can leave Deltora Quest alone I forgive you, but you got lucky, because I was just about to have you be-headed!

Council#13
Ast kiranann kair soth-arn suh kali jalar-

oh wait, we're not gonna fight? okay hug

Azure
I had a better spell on my lips! Naanaa

Council#13
A spell better than a lightning bolt? What the f**k? Only Lord Soth had more powerful spells, and he's a Death Knight. You're an Elf Mage. You can only do spells of light!!! stick out tongue

Azure
correction: Dark Elf Mage! I inherited the Tower of High Scorcery in Palanthas, and the spell was going to blast you back in time to before the Clatacysm ( if that is how you spell it)

Council#13
no Cataclysm. Oh dear, you're a darkelf mage? not good...

I'm Master of Wayreth, and with the power of Raistlin Majere, and powerful enogh to rival Chaos!!!! evillaugh. I'll blast you back to the Age of Starlight! laughing

Azure
do I look like I care no expression

Council#13
not anymore laughing out loud

Azure
besides, I dont even believe you!!!

Council#13
laughing me neither sad

Azure
I did not think you did! It was wistful hope!

Council#13
It was yes

Azure
I though so. There is no way you could be more powerful than me. I have looked SPAM (the canned meat) right in the face, and lived!

Council#13
No way!!! That's impossible!!!!

Azure
No way!!! That's impossible!!!!

YOU WISH!!!

Azure
yes! I did look SPAM in the face and lived! I even smelled it, and it is repulisive!

Council#13
laughing out loud i bow before you pray

Azure
...you better! cool

Azure
I think we really did win the fight! no one has talked on here except for us! And I imagine you are only talking on here, because you fear me! You are afraid of what I will do to you if you dont! you are afraid I will feed you the canned meat from the Abyss! SPAM!!!!!!!!!

Council#13
Yup we won the battle! Or the other people fear us smokin'

Oh you wish I feared you box

Azure
I dont wish...I know! you are wishing I was wishing that you were just wishing you feared me! But that's ok, you dont have to be ashamed of your fears. Everybody fears something. You just happen to fear me! That's not your fault, a=everybody bows down to me!

Council#13
no2 I'm not scared of YOU. I'm scared of dolls, doll face.

Azure
no2 I'm not scared of YOU. I'm scared of dolls, doll face. huh what are you saying by that? What the f**k?

Council#13
Ohh that doll thing. You know in the old movies, sometimes the guys call the girls "doll face". well i'm also scared of dolls....so....

Council#13
Okay, Azure here's a basic sort of sig. I sent you a PM about you giving me details for me to make a "better" one (I hope)

Cheers smile

Azure
just wondering, what is "we await you summons" ? It is beautiful, but I think it would sound better if it said "we await your summons"

Azure
I kinda dont know how to put on my sig. embarrasment

Azure
Ohh that doll thing. You know in the old movies, sometimes the guys call the girls "doll face". well i'm also scared of dolls....so.... ohh, now I get it! smile the only old movies I watch are the Twilight Zone series.

Council#13
I kinda dont know how to put on my sig. embarrasment

Okie-day. You go to the Edit Profle, then in the signature thing, click the link beneath that, then "upload signature" then find yeah.....

Azure
ok, thanks

Azure
I did what you told me to do, and it went to this thing that said, "upload signature" and from there I dont know what to do.

Council#13
I think that you can use this link smile http://www.killermovies.com/forums/sigupload.php?s=

Okay, firstly you must save the image/sig as a JPG or JPEG file. Next when you go to the link above you click the "Browse" button. Then you find the image/sig then click "ok". After that, click "Upload sig". Then, you copy the link in bold that they give you, then click the link "profile", then you copy it into the sig area. big grin

Azure
DAMN!! I did what you said, and it worked half way, they said it was too big. I am sorry this is causing so much trouble for you embarrasment

Council#13
laughing No problems! I'll just resize it! thumb up

Council#13
Okie, here are two versions. The images might not be as clear, because the image is smaller. Sorry. embarrasment Anyway, sorry about the typo on the old one also. Sometimes my brain skips ahead of my hands so I leave out letters. Happens when I'm writing with a pen/pencil also. embarrasment

Council#13

Azure
just in case you are wondering, I am trying to get the computer to agree with me, about the sig.

Council#13
Qui?

Azure
Qui? ???

Council#13
???

Azure
????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!! haha, I beat you!

Council#13
cry

Azure
dont cry, we'll just pretend you won! smile

Council#13
Happy Dance But we both won in the victory over Wheel of Time! Happy Dance

Azure
Dragonlance2gunsWheel of Time

Council#13
Dragonlance destroys Wheel of Time! Happy Dance

Azure
dragonlance2gunsblowupwheel of time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.