Ghostwriting???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

whats your opinion about rappers accepting ang spitting lyrics coming from another rapper? are the emcees just lazy? or they are accepting the fact that they just cant compose hot lyrics?

i dont care if an MC rap another mc's lyrics as long as he acknowledges it in the credits. of course its gotta be some ill shit too.

rappers who should use ghostwriting:

jay-z rapping nas lyrics <---- will be on some incredible shit
dre rapping rakim lyrics
cam rapping j.r. writer (the writer of writers, CHEAA!) lyrics

ADD-ON!!!

Victor Von Doom
It's not the end of the world: in rock the singer often sings lyrics composed by another band member, for example Rush, or the Manic Street Preachers.

After all, the vocalist's skill need lie only in vocals, not necessarily words.

Bierbommetje
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
It's not the end of the world: in rock the singer often sings lyrics composed by another band member, for example Rush, or the Manic Street Preachers.

Isn't exactly the same as a rapper rapping lyrics by another rapper, though. We would be talking someone outside the band providing the lyrics.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Bierbommetje
Isn't exactly the same as a rapper rapping lyrics by another rapper, though. We would be talking someone outside the band providing the lyrics.

Like Elton John then.

It's no big deal, unless the rapper is trying to pass themselves off as some kind of poet.

Deathblow
Originally posted by #16
dre rapping rakim lyrics

That's just sensible on Dre's part.

DiamondBullets
As long as it sound tyte, then its all good imo.

-hh-
i don't like the whole idea of another artists writing lyrics for another. it just doesn't seem as though the artist himself did much.

Like Rhymefest writing lyrics for Kanye or Cube with Eazy etc...

Mugen
Originally posted by #16
whats your opinion about rappers accepting ang spitting lyrics coming from another rapper? are the emcees just lazy? or they are accepting the fact that they just cant compose hot lyrics?

i dont care if an MC rap another mc's lyrics as long as he acknowledges it in the credits. of course its gotta be some ill shit too.

rappers who should use ghostwriting:

jay-z rapping nas lyrics <---- will be on some incredible shit
dre rapping rakim lyrics
cam rapping j.r. writer (the writer of writers, CHEAA!) lyrics

ADD-ON!!! i dissaprove completely, rap styles and flows are reflected by the writer, not the person who raps it.

to quote The Weathermen

"If you ghostwrite for a *****
you most likely a *****
how else could he see the world through both eyes of a *****"

Inspectah Deck
Rhymefest and Kanye West

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by -hh-
i don't like the whole idea of another artists writing lyrics for another. it just doesn't seem as though the artist himself did much.

The lyrics are the least important part of music though. They're an add-on.

-hh-
The lyrics are the least important part of music though. They're an add-on. i understand that, but i care much more for the lyrics than the actual "beat".

Dr. Strangelove
The lyrics are the least important part of music though. They're an add-on.

I would agree with you with other music like rock, jazz etc, but hip hop is a different matter. Hip hop is based on lyrics first and music/production second.

Example: Ras Kass' "Soul On Ice" is considered by many to be one of the greatest hip hop albums ever because of Rass' amazing poetic lines, yet production wise it is pretty mediocre. Jedi Mind Trick's "Legacy of Blood" is an amazingly produced album. Very beautiful latin type beats. Yet it is considered weak, because of the MC Vinnie Paz's weak lines and hackneyed subject matter.

-hh-
"i hate blacks and whites so much i bust handguns at a panda"- Ras Kass

laughing

rickyduck

Thats true, as Led Zeppelin and many other bands also used music written by other bands

i understand that, but i care much more for the lyrics than the actual "beat".

LOL man, why is he getting a pass

if i post what he see i wouldve gotten everybody against me stick out tongue

Victor Von Doom
i understand that, but i care much more for the lyrics than the actual "beat".

That's fair enough, so in that case for you it shouldn't happen. However for me, it's not a big deal. Even then though, that's about good or bad lyrics, not lyric source.

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
I would agree with you with other music like rock, jazz etc, but hip hop is a different matter. Hip hop is based on lyrics first and music/production second.

Example: Ras Kass' "Soul On Ice" is considered by many to be one of the greatest hip hop albums ever because of Rass' amazing poetic lines, yet production wise it is pretty mediocre. Jedi Mind Trick's "Legacy of Blood" is an amazingly produced album. Very beautiful latin type beats. Yet it is considered weak, because of the MC Vinnie Paz's weak lines and hackneyed subject matter.

I don't think hip-hop is based on lyrics first. Admittedly, a much greater percentage of hip-hop fans prioritise the lyrics, but that's missing an important point- without the music, hip-hop is poetry. Without the lyrics, it's still hip-hop.

Lyrics factually have less significance to the music than the music itself, but many fans don't look at it as music first and foremost (strangely). To those, this is obviously an important issue.

Furthermore, no-one is talking about 'bad' lyrics; it's about replacement lyrics. If someone uses their own bad lyrics there will, as you mention, be an adverse reaction by the fans.

Originally posted by #16
LOL man, why is he getting a pass

if i post what he see i wouldve gotten everybody against me stick out tongue

Who's getting a pass?

Who's getting a pass?

you man

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by #16
you man

Insert Neo style *bring it on* smiley here.

Insert Neo style *bring it on* smiley here.

what?

Alpha Centauri
You just got made a fool of and you're too stupid to notice it, is what.

-AC

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
You just got made a fool of and you're too stupid to notice it, is what.

-AC

uhmm oookaaay...

*salutes AC*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.