Batmans mind

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sexyking
Ok i am not complaning but do you guys think they will touch on batmans intelligence in bb2 they didnt seem to do that at all in bb it was mostly lucius fox that was the whizz.

Knightfall93
Oh, so a guy who manages to survive as a super hero is a complete moron? furthermore, a hero with NO natural powers!?

SpyCspider
^uh...complete moron? I don't think that's what the previous poster meant at all.

He just wanted to know how Batman's intelligence can be explored more so when it comes to his scientific gadgets, as opposed to having a Morgan Freeman playing "Q" providing him with stuff.

Same argument can be used against Peter Parker having organics instead of making up his own webshooters.

NoFate007
I was thinking the same thing. One of Batman's most noteable traits is his absolutely insane genius, and they really focused more on Fox being smarter in the first one. I'm hoping that they sort of say that Fox sort of has been teaching him everything he knows, and in the sequel, Batman doesn't need Fox as much - only as someone to do the stuff while he's off on an assignment or whatever. You know, sort of "I don't have the time for this, Fox, help me out?"

Knightfall93
I dont think they were making Bruce stupid, its just it isnt very believable if thhis guy just happens to be able to build cars and stuff... I think Year 1 even says he uses Wayne Enterprises to get his gadgets bought in/ made. He isnt the inventor!

wuTa
i thought they tapped into it a little bit by having him outsmart ra's at the end.....i mean how much could they do?...batman's genius really doesn't come into play unless he needs to solve a crime or outhink a criminal, and he did outsmart ra's and he did figure out what crane was doing with his inmates, i think his smarts should come into play more for the sequel, i just hope they don't over do it and make him super-genius, and kill the realism

atharpina
Yeah, I don't think Ra's was a very good main adversary to show Batman's intelligence with. His goals were just so open the whole time, there wasn't much to figure out. We did get to see a little detective work with the whole Falcone/Scarecrow drug ring though. Batman used some mighty fine sluething skills to figure that one out.

NoFate007
Oh yeah, by no means Bruce was portrayed as an idiot in the film. I just hope they up his intelligence in the second one...maybe make him show off a little bit of that "prep = batgod" stuff he's famous for that we all love. I'd love to see him pull off something not too intricate but like that.

atharpina
The way this series is going, Batman can't be a super genius. Bruce dropped out of college and went around the world for 7 years. He can have great knowledge of the criminal mind, and good reasoning. That's about all we need though, right?

Knightfall93
Hey, he's a genius because he was born that way! I reckon he was actually a super- duper- genius soldier experiment by an army scientist... hang on, i'm thinking of the Hulk!

wuTa
Originally posted by atharpina
The way this series is going, Batman can't be a super genius. Bruce dropped out of college and went around the world for 7 years. He can have great knowledge of the criminal mind, and good reasoning. That's about all we need though, right?

true, but he did drop ot of princeton, that's not an easy school to get into, but i do agree with you, they gave him plent of knowledge of the criminal mind

Knightfall93
He got himself locked up and all he eveer did was watch/ fight inmates, he;d get knowleedge of the crim mind there!

Zarathustra
Originally posted by atharpina
The way this series is going, Batman can't be a super genius. Bruce dropped out of college and went around the world for 7 years.
Believe it or not, knowledge is accessible outside of Ivy League campuses. If Bruce Wayne, or anyone else, wants to learn about a subject the information is available. All he needs is a library card, though being a billionare he probably would have bought some books. Anyway, Bruce would have needed to accumulate his learning outside of schools in any version of the story: a stack of degrees from Yale and Oxford sitting in Wayne Manor wouldn't do much for the vapid playboy image. The story told in some comics has Bruce faking incompetence and disinterest in schools all over before promptly dropping out, moving on, and getting learning elsewhere.

atharpina
I wasn't saying Batman was an idiot and didn't know how to read or write or do basic math...

I just meant he wouldn't be an incredible genius and have all kinds of knowledge of chemistry and machinery (enter: Lucius Fox).

Knightfall93
How do you know? There's like 10 missing years at least...

atharpina
I was talking about the movie and in the movie it's 7.

"You've been gone 7 years." - Alfred on plane to Gotham

And it basically showed us what he'd been doing during those 7 years on screen and I also read the BB book which was derived straight from Goyer's final script. It says Bruce snuck onto a cargo ship and started on a trip to many different countries where he acted as a criminal to study their mind. This path led him to that Asian prison that we see in the movie and from there he went straight to Ra's Al Ghuls palace and then from there straight home to Gotham.

He had no time for this extra education you speak of, at least in Chris Nolan's world. Trust me, I wouldn't even have started on this if I wasn't sure I knew what I was talking about.

Knightfall93
Umm...maybe he learnt engineering and technology at Princeton? Is Princeton like the American reply to Eaton and harrow or something?

WrathfulDwarf
BB2 needs to put the spotlight on Batman's Detective Skills. All the films have failed to provide the image of the World's Greatest Detective.

Gregory
You know, someone can be an absolutely insane genious, the highest IQ in the world, and still not be able to invent tanks and stuff.

And there's a reason that the films and comics don't focus on Batman's detective skills nowadays. Namely, what's to detect? "The Gotham museum has been overrun by plants! I wonder if there are any fingerprints?" "The bank vault door has been frozen solid ... but by whom?" "Good heavens, who could have robbed the jewlry store and left those riddles?"

The inevitable result of having about twelve villains total, all with their very obvious characteristics, is that the potential for mystery is sort of limitted. I'd love to see Batman as a detective, but for a viable mystery, you'd have to not feature one of the major villains; otherwise it would be ninety minutes of Batman figuring out something the entire audience already knows, and who wants that?

NoFate007
See, I completely agree with you Gregory. There isn't much to detect in his world anymore...

However, they do show it in other ways, for instance, his prep-godliness. Particularly if you look at Justice League things, Batman's a detective and genius in that.

But yeah, if you see someone dead and smiling, it'd be ridiculous to have him go "Hm....perhaps we should call Mr. Freeze, see what he was planning to do with this man."

atharpina
That's a good point.

But they could still show some of his detective skills for this new movie series. Even if we know who the bad guy is the entire time, it will be his first encounter and we can watch from that perspective.

Knightfall93
Make an animated Long Halloweenm!!!!!

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Gregory

And there's a reason that the films and comics don't focus on Batman's detective skills nowadays. Namely, what's to detect?

Did you forget the murders that happen in Gotham? Those don't require forensics or something?....not all murders are committed by the notorious foes of Batman. "and comics don't focus on Batman's detective skills nowadays" ......City of crime? War Games?

CSI: Gotham City would have tough competition with the Batman around.

Gregory
Didn't I say that they could make a movie about Batman's detective skills if it didn't feature on of his rogue's gallery? Pitty almost nobody would go to see it.

As for War Games, I'm morally opposed to being conned into bying titles I don't normally buy to follow convoluted, often poorly-written, stories. Therefore, I never read War Games.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Gregory

As for War Games, I'm morally opposed to being conned into bying titles I don't normally buy to follow convoluted, often poorly-written, stories. Therefore, I never read War Games.

Then try and read War Crimes (the aftermath) a lot more shorter and more conclusive saga.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=5542

Knightfall93
I just need Crimes to complete the War series

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.