Batman Returns: where is Batman/Bruce Wayne?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Harvey Dent
I was watching the first hour of Batman Returns and noticed Bruce Wayne/Batman has very little screen time. Way too much focus on Penguin/Max Shrek/Catwoman and not much Batman/Bruce Wayne.

The movie looks great with all the Gotham City sets and I noticed it doesn't take a photo-realistic approach like BB does, but I still think that this movie is more of an iteration of Batman than being true to the comics - something the cartoon did much more better (that's because the writers actually had knowledge of who Batman was.)

Just look at the opening credits - all we see is a basket floating that is carrying the penguin! That took up way too much screen time and a true Batman fan doesn't want to see that.

Scarecrow756
I completely agree with you as much as I like Batman and Batman Returns their major flaw was the fact that Batman did not have much screen time and there is too much emphasis on the villains.

Cascador
well he does have more screentime in Batman Returns than in Batman '89! They just concentrated more on the villains cause there were just more villains than in the first one...simple as that...

Knightfall93
Or... because Tim Burton thought he could get away with pissing around with the characters more if everyone focused on the villains, who he believed to be more alter- able... then again, he DID make batman into The Joker in murderous method!

Cascador
no he thought of giving the character of the pinguin more depth...cause he is mostly known as just a thief in the comics...(so there goes the fact he didn't know anything about the comics) He thought the character of the comics didn't have any depth so he decided to give him more history and it worked fine IMO

Knightfall93
if you think Pengy's just a thief... he's the goddam King of Giotham helf the time! Oh my God...

atharpina
Burton made bad guy movies, not Batman movies.

Knightfall93
Exactly, and he made Pengy completely wrong anyway! And... didnt like a single guy, Bob the Goon or whhoever, pound Bats? That is SO wrong...

Mr Parker
Boy it sure was.Thats one of many things wrong with The Burton Batman movies is he paid so much attention to the villians that there was no room for character development for batman.The first film should have been The Joker with the second The Penguin and Catwoman.Because like Harvey said so wellmthey had the majority of the screentime and batman was just a supporting character.That would be okay for a tv show but NOT a movie.a movie is a special case.

by the way harvey,check your pm box okay?

Knightfall93
Hear hear!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.