Superman getting a power boost

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sexyking
I was just curious are DC going to boost up his power i mean nowadays people are claiming supergirl is stronger than him and i just dont like that idea, no i am not against strong female characters i just like the idea of superman at least being better than most superheros i know certain scenarios have been set where it could be wildly known as fact that she is stronger then him ijust think its time something boosted his power.

ZephroCarnelian
Just keep reading Infinite Crisis.

They'll find a way to give Supes his mojo back.

Same with Darkseid.

They're gonna be the main players in the comic world once again. smile

sexyking
Originally posted by ZephroCarnelian
Just keep reading Infinite Crisis.

They'll find a way to give Supes his mojo back.

Same with Darkseid.

They're gonna be the main players in the comic world once again. smile

Happy Dance Amen to that

((The_Anomaly))
What do we mean by "mojo" exactly?

Were not talking "pre-crisis type mojo" are we?

God I hope they dont do that....

NPC
Ok what the hell is pre-crisis? Im tired of people refering to it an me not knowing what it is. Is the crisis when his powers changed an his suit changed?

Xirius
For a long time, DC comics had two different, parallel streams of continuity. Two entire seperate worlds, each with all the DC characters, but different pasts and stories.
This was majorly confusing to read, and eventually the "crisis" was written, in which the two worlds combined. Im not sure on what exactly happened during the crisis, but the outcome was that the characters and backstories of both worlds combined.
One effect of this was that Supermans powers were finally limited to a more sensible amount.

By the way, this crisis is not the same as Identity Crisis, or Infinite Crisis (although there are many similarities between it and Infinite)

Thats pretty much all I know about it, hope it helps smile

eleveninches
I personally want to see supes regain his precrisis power levels. It will make a nice change after having him depowered for a year

((The_Anomaly))
See saying Post-Crisis Superman is "depowered" isn't the word I would use. More logically and reasonably powered is the better way to put it. Pre-Crisis Superman was ridiculous. Too ridiculous to believe.

I'll be pretty (VERY) annoyed if they take him back to Pre-Crisis levels.

Sir Whirlysplat
People talk about Precrisis and get confused - He was not inconsistant or ridiculous for the early eighties for the most part, however he had some plus powers like the ability to move through space and time. I'd like to see these back!

Fender42
I'm a big fan of Supes but doesnt it get old when the good guy always wins? I mean when you are as power full as "the almight Superman" who needs a power boost? Personally, I'd like to see Supes get his arsk kick every once in a while!

Fender42
*almighty* sorry

((The_Anomaly))
I agree with Fender. And I don't want Supes' time traveling abilities to make a comeback.

The Ion
There's a difference between getting his PC power back and getting his ludicrous PC style stories back. There's characters in comics more powerful than Superman and they have wonderful stories.

sexyking
Originally posted by Fender42
I'm a big fan of Supes but doesnt it get old when the good guy always wins? I mean when you are as power full as "the almight Superman" who needs a power boost? Personally, I'd like to see Supes get his arsk kick every once in a while! He should be all powerfull though i mean he was the first wasnt he i think they should make a point were supermans powers are of the chart after all he is superman

Fender42
Don't get me wrong, I love the superman story line but I also think that the other characters should be all powerful and more powerful than superman. If Supes could just walk through all the competition without getting a scratch, there wouldn't be a need for a comic book or any other stories. They could just make posters that said "Superman is the ULTIMATE superhero and can't EVER be beaten. ever. period. the end."

MattDay
Superman does have villains who can stand up to him, if he becomes as powerful as PC supes, they'd need him fighting low heralds and such to keep the competition good

Fender42
Well, guess a little more power wouldn't be that bad as long as his villains also got a little more powerful. Superman is probably one of the most hard arsk superheros ever thought up but the classic "Underdog" story is still popular in my book.

(Underdog story meaning the less powerful guy kickin really powerful guy's tail) yes yes

Drache53
Eh, I really don't think supes should get a power boost. I, myself, have never read a pre-crisis story, but ((The Anomaly)) has made it pretty clear that I don't want to. Seriously, how much has it been said that Supes can lift? Like, somewhere around 8 billion pounds (I think I saw that in Wizard, I'll have to look it back up). Honestly, who need to be THAT strong? I myself prefer the underdog type storyline like Fender mentioned above. That's why I'm such a big Spider-Man fan. He actually has to WORK to beat his bad guys. Hell, sometimes he's even beaten. But he always comes back to kick ass and take names.

MattDay
Superman is Superman, bring back SUPERmans powers to his full!!

it makes sense to keep him as he was originally

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by Drache53
Eh, I really don't think supes should get a power boost. I, myself, have never read a pre-crisis story, but ((The Anomaly)) has made it pretty clear that I don't want to. Seriously, how much has it been said that Supes can lift? Like, somewhere around 8 billion pounds (I think I saw that in Wizard, I'll have to look it back up). Honestly, who need to be THAT strong? I myself prefer the underdog type storyline like Fender mentioned above. That's why I'm such a big Spider-Man fan. He actually has to WORK to beat his bad guys. Hell, sometimes he's even beaten. But he always comes back to kick ass and take names.

Yea, unless your an over the top fanboy who jerks off to the fact that "supr4m4n is teh 1337!!11 pwn3r supr4m4n tis pwning teh 5qu33b5 liek n00bs!!!111 z0MG!!!111 LOLzz!!! supr4m4n 15 2 1337 teh g3t roxxorz by 4ny0n3!!!!11"

Then you dont wanna read Pre-Crisis Superman stories. They're just ridiculous.

The Ion
Or maybe they just like fun, epic stories with god like beings clashing in the sky? Nah, they're just total fanboys. roll eyes (sarcastic)

ZephroCarnelian
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Yea, unless your an over the top fanboy who jerks off to the fact that "supr4m4n is teh 1337!!11 pwn3r supr4m4n tis pwning teh 5qu33b5 liek n00bs!!!111 z0MG!!!111 LOLzz!!! supr4m4n 15 2 1337 teh g3t roxxorz by 4ny0n3!!!!11"

Then you dont wanna read Pre-Crisis Superman stories. They're just ridiculous.

No. That post is ridiculous.

I have many many pre-Crisis comics from the late seventies/early eighties and they're absolutely fine.

The stories are basically exactly the same as modern ones.

The only differences in Superman's powerset, seems to be that he's ACTUALLY invulnerable and that he can fly through time.

Would it be that much of a big step to take current Superman to that level?

Femi32
What's with all the pre-crisis Superman hate. Ever heard of Silver Surfer? He can do anything. He can turn anybody or anything to whatever he desires, traval lightyears in seconds, use an enemies weakness against them with cosmic awareness, can take supernovas and blackholes without flinching, takes mindless Hulk's punches without flinching, turn intangible, invisible, and whatever he wants to do with power cosmic. There are people more powerful than Superman.

((The_Anomaly))
Yes, I don't like marvel comics for the most part due to their stupid cosmic beings. Silver Surfer is one of the reasons I don't read marvel.

And as for the Superman traveling through time? No. IMO no one should be able to do that under their own willpower. Its just stupid. I mean whats the point? Not only can Pre-Crisis Supes pretty well not be beat. If for some reason something goes wrong he just goes back in time to fix it? Not even worth reading. Its just too absurd to take seriously. He cant lose, and if he cant lose then why read it in the first place?

For me, characters have to be at least somewhat believable. Clark is an alien, he is not a god.

Lets keep it that way.

Femi32
Darkseid made whooping Pre-crisis Superman a hobby. He did it all the time. He could do anything Superman could and more. Pre-crisis Superman was not unbeatable. He even got whooped by PC Mongul.

I don't see anything wrong with Silver Surfer. I like characters with low and high power levels as long as they have a good story to back it up and don't get past the Living Tribunal. By the way, how come you have problems with characters with huge power levels, yet you are a DBZ fan?

Superman doesn't have to have a believable power level to be a good character. Just good stories. I don't care if he throws the moon at somebody. As long as the story is good and the writers don't use illogical plot devices. I definetly don't want to see Superman struggle with an airplane, either. That's as much illogical as him traveling through time.

ZephroCarnelian
Originally posted by Femi32
Darkseid made whooping Pre-crisis Superman a hobby. He did it all the time. He could do anything Superman could and more. Pre-crisis Superman was not unbeatable. He even got whooped by PC Mongul.

I don't see anything wrong with Silver Surfer. I like characters with low and high power levels as long as they have a good story to back it up and don't get past the Living Tribunal. By the way, how come you have problems with characters with huge power levels, yet you are a DBZ fan?

Superman doesn't have to have a believable power level to be a good character. Just good stories. I don't care if he throws the moon at somebody. As long as the story is good and the writers don't use illogical plot devices. I definetly don't want to see Superman struggle with an airplane, either. That's as much illogical as him traveling through time.

Excellent post mate! yes

((The_Anomaly))

1) Yes, you are right about the Darkseid thing.

2) And yes you are kinda right. As long as their powers make sense. The story is key, but to have Superman pulling along 5 planets with no difficulty (which he did in PC) is just dumb. See its cause to me ANYONE pulling 5 planets along is just dumb, all the time. It should just not ever happen. To me, Superman DOES have to be somewhat believable. Lifting a plane shouldn't be a problem (at all. no where did I say he should be that weak), they should draw the line at lifting the moon however, and nothing beyond that (at the most). And I still think lifting the moon is damn steep, but I COULD believe it, he is Superman after all but he should have to use ALL his strength to pull that off, and be exhausted after doing it. And time travel under his own power? no, just no. Thats is just too dumb to even think about.

3) I like DBZ because despite their extreme power, they are always the underdogs. Going into every battle in DBZ they arnt supposed to be able to win. They're strong, but there's always someone stronger and it takes everything they have in order to beat them. Superman isnt like this, especially PC Superman. Now you would say that "well then just put all the bad guys on the same, or higher level of power then Superman". But no. See there's a line as I said. The DBZ characters don't cross that line, PC Superman does cross that line. And if you were to make all the bad guys hes fighting stronger then him to make him the underdog all the time then everyone would be past that line, and it would just be stupid. Believability is a HUGE factor for me. I mean 2 guys throwing Stars and planets at each other in their fight is absurd, no matter how you slice it. You could achieve the same effect by having them throw trucks, and small buildings at each other or something. Same fight, same drama, same everything, cept its more believable.

Blue nocturne
Pre crisis superman sneezed and destoryed a distant star system, superman million
punched 80,000 yrs into the future and DBZ is over powered...right...

Blue nocturne
I love the classic super man he's my favorite but I wish he had limits.

((The_Anomaly))
Thats who I am. I love Superman, but I DO wish he had limits. Thats why I loathe PC Superman. (and apparently I'd not be too large of a fan of Superman one million either)

The character is an awesome one. Of all the 'Supermen' (versions of Supes) The Smallville one is my favorite. Hes cool, and believable, yet still strong, fast and all that.

Superman, written right, is awesome. Written bad, hes not so hot. His story and all the mythos that goes with him are amazingly awesome, he just needs to be not so dumb all the time. And that means no 00ber power. He needs to have ower and lots of it, but not so overpowered that it seems retarded. Some writers seem to forget that he is an alien, hes a being who was born and will/ can die. He is not a demi-god, or a god. He. is. an. alien. Thats it. An alien who is lucky enough to have amazing abilities when under a yellow sun. Nothing more.

Femi32
He needed WW and GL's help to move the moon. Is that good enough?

((The_Anomaly))
Pretty good yea.

MaxG
Aren't some of you confusing Silver Age with Pre-Crisis? I remember him blowing out suns in Silver Age but not Pre-Crisis. Iirc correctly he was depowered to fit alongside the rest of the JLA Pre-Crisis and was further depowered Post Crisis by Byrne.

Avalonofthewind
Here's a comment from John Byrnes himself:

Here's a link to the site for those interested:

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6624&PN=19&TPN=1

Magee
I think it would be great if they brought him back to pre-crisis levels. It was more the writers and storylines which I had a problem with rather than his power set. Comics have come a long way in the last 20 years and his pre crisis powerset, imo could easily work in the current DC universe.

MattDay
magee your right, i think that's the way it should start going, it is the stories after all and he has enough villains which are extremely powerful that it would be more interesting for him to fight with. Doomsday would need to evolve beyond PC supes, which would make him absolutely menacing to pretty much anyone, darksied could return to original powers and duke it out with supes like they used too. Man loads of stuff, it would be good timing to bump him back to his hay day!

spetznaz
What's with all the pre-crisis Superman hate. Ever heard of Silver Surfer? He can do anything. He can turn anybody or anything to whatever he desires, traval lightyears in seconds, use an enemies weakness against them with cosmic awareness, can take supernovas and blackholes without flinching, takes mindless Hulk's punches without flinching, turn intangible, invisible, and whatever he wants to do with power cosmic. There are people more powerful than Superman.

Easy:
Because the Silver Surfer is from Marvel and Superman is from DC.

Have Superman speedblitz an opponent and you'll have actual threads made (like in the comic vs forum) denouncing speedblitz.

And in the same breath the same posters will spout forth how King Thor can 'obliterate a planet,' how the Silver Surfer can travel at a 'hundred times the speed of light,' and how the Phoenix can extinguish solar systems.
Oh, and don't dare bring characters like Sentry into the mix (apparently he can do 'anything'). Apparently the irony that the Sentry was in part based on Superman flies over their heads.

I can understand how some may not want Superman sneezing away planetary systems, however there is a group that would prefer Superman in an even more depowered state. Maybe that would make it easier for them in the versus forum (eg when they make threads like the one that was comparing Superman's heat vision to Cyclop's optic blasts. As if that is a comparison to begin with).

I've always maintained that Superman is SUPERman .....not some version of a 'male Rogue' or a 'flying Colossus' with Cyclop-esque optic blasts and Quicksilver level speed!
He is arguably the prime superhero, and thus should have a set of powers that are significantly substantial.
He should NOT be at a level where he could be just another member of the X-men.

It is rather ludicrous.

sexyking
Originally posted by spetznaz
Easy:

Have Superman speedblitz an opponent and you'll have actual threads made (like in the comic vs forum) denouncing speedblitz.

And in the same breath the same posters will spout forth how King Thor can 'obliterate a planet,' how the Silver Surfer can travel at a 'hundred times the speed of light,' and how the Phoenix can extinguish solar systems.
Oh, and don't dare bring characters like Sentry into the mix (apparently he can do 'anything'). Apparently the irony that the Sentry was in part based on Superman flies over their heads.

I can understand how some may not want Superman sneezing away planetary systems, however there is a group that would prefer Superman in an even more depowered state. Maybe that would make it easier for them in the versus forum (eg when they make threads like the one that was comparing Superman's heat vision to Cyclop's optic blasts. As if that is a comparison to begin with).

I've always maintained that Superman is SUPERman .....not some version of a 'male Rogue' or a 'flying Colossus' with Cyclop-esque optic blasts and Quicksilver level speed!
He is arguably the prime superhero, and thus should have a set of powers that are significantly substantial.

It is rather ludicrous.

You my friend is correct whats the point in having super in your name if your not super.

Avalonofthewind
Originally posted by spetznaz
Easy:

It is rather ludicrous.

Well put. In some ways the power upgrades are unavoidable. With practically EVERYONE nowadays getting power upgrades there wouldn't be anything SUPER about SUPERMAN withouth them.

IMO, Superman should always be on a different level entirely than your 'standard' hero. A good writer can still write great stories around a ridiculous power set.

Post crisis, Superman's rogue galeries have also come a long way powerwise from Lex and Toyman.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.