Top Three Batman Graphic Novels of All Time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Scarecrow756
Hay Guys, my queston to you is what are your top three Batman Graphic Novels of all time. Mine are.

1. Dark Knight Returns
2. Arkham Asylum
3. Hush Volume Two

Etrigan
for 3, I can't really narrow it down.

But for a top 5, in no particular order:

1. Long Halloween
2. Hush (overall story)
3. DKR
4. Killing Joke
5. Year One

Bardock42
Dark Knight Returns
Year One
Long Halloween

atharpina
I like..

1. Long Halloween
2. Arkham Asylum
3. Killing Joke

Knightfall93
1. Long Halloween
2. The whole KnigtSaga
3. Year One

Impediment
Top 3?! Damn.................

The Dark Knight Returns

Arkham Aylum

The Long Halloween

Knightfall93
It's damn tricky to pick, isnt it?

batmanreturns2k
well i have to say those are great graphic novels but i away like the one that leed on continue to over g n and leed to a bigger story like hush no mans land exc so here mine

1- is got to be hush vol 1&2 - exc
2- child of dreams
3-Legacy
there maybe my fav but theres so maney i have lot of gn thats all i collect there so cool i would love to work for dc comic s man that would be cool cheers

Knightfall93
That's a rare choice list.. Legacy IS good but... that good?

Darth Macabre
Top 3? Wow, hmm. I'd have to go with:

1) Year one.
2) Hush v.2
3) Child of dreams.

Knightfall93
Is Child of Dreams that manga one? And wht's it actually about, all the Amazon review said it was manga

Scarecrow756
I have seen it in a couple of comic stores recently.

Knightfall93
I dont have any comic stores naer me... man, English towns suck

batmanreturns2k
go to Forbidden Planet in the west end holbon they got alot ok cool styff there search the web theres a online store

batmanreturns2k
it kind of manga but not to bloody its kepts to the batman faith and its by Kia Asamiya he also dos other japan comic cool stuff

Knightfall93
ahte the manga art on "Death in the family", the spiderman 1 not batman. It looks like goddam Pokemon art!

Impediment
Another close pick, IMO, would have to be Year One, as well.

Knightfall93
Theres so many good ones

Scarecrow756
I would also have to pick Under the Red Hood and Batman Year One.

Knightfall93
What to buy, oh what to buy:
Hush??
Under the Hood???
I just dunno what comic to buy at th e min

Scarecrow756
Under the Hood I just got today and I thought it was amazing and it gave me a few ideas on how to portray Black Mask in my script for Batman Escalation.

batmanreturns2k
hey Knightfall93 differently get under the hood is so cool got some pretty good fights in it

Scarecrow756
I especially liked the fight at the end between Batman and Red Hood.

batmanreturns2k
the new gns that are coming out know that contiune from hush are aswome i thing they should make a great big book of the batman his hole life story in it that would be cool

batmanreturns2k
yeah thats was cool and when he had that mini gun blasted all those guys then stuck in that girls face ?? i forgot her name

Scarecrow756
I think she was in War Games.

batmanreturns2k
hey do u guys know how much the complett hush 608-619 with SIGNED by LEE LOEB SKETCH VARIANTS how much do u think that be worth ??

batmanreturns2k
yes she was she help out green arrow for the monks i will find out

batmanreturns2k
she is called onyx

batmanreturns2k
she s cool but not better then batgirl 2 sweet

Knightfall93
Do you mean Cassandra Cain? She is batgirl II or ven 4 if you count Helena Bertinelli/ huntress in NML!

wuTa
helena bertinelli is sooo HOT! drool

Knightfall93
I know!!!! She rocks my world!!!!!!!!!!!

batmanreturns2k
it s got to be Cassandra Cain and barber there hot

Knightfall93
Babs is OK, Cassie is RED HOT, but I just have a real thing about Helena...

Etrigan
Aye, same. She is damn hawt.

Knightfall93
Yummy

MarkyMatt
3) Arkham Asylum- Probably one of the most darkest stories ever written in batman history. It's psychological persona puts it deep into effect which made the story so special. I think Dave McKeon's art also made a big impact on the story which made it dark and creepy. The Joker was the star of the book saying some of the most shocking lines in the book, especially about the joke about the father who's wife was having a baby. Just plain twisted. Add a little of Batman's instinct and survival skill in the book, especially with the fight he had with Killer Croc you got a great book.

2) Hush Volume 1 & 2- Jim Lee's art captured alot of readers eyes which played out a big part of how successful this story was. The storyline though was probably the best though. A new villain introduced using the other villains such as The Joker, Poison Ivy, Two-Face, Killer Croc and others. It made readers keep guessing who was the man behind the bandages? Jeph Loeb made twist and turns making the readers guess at first that it was Harvey Dent (Two-Face). Then they pulled something shocking out supposedly bring back to life the former Robin killed by The Joker, Jason Todd. Of course we all know whoever has read the story what happened next. It was finally reveled that Tommy Elliot childhood friend of Bruce Wayne was Hush. Let's not forget Selina Kyle finally knowing who is the man behind the mask (Batman). As the Catwoman/Batman Relationship took a big step. All the elements were good in this book which made it so special.

1) The Dark Knight Returns- A story that takes place in the future where Batman has not been seen for over 20 years. Finally Bruce Wayne decides to come out of retirement to finally try to win the War on Crime. We also seen the unretirement of The Joker in which goes on a mass murdering seen killing over 200 people in an TV show which he was the special guest. The Final confortation between Batman and The Joker was so special and a fitting in, in how Batman could never finish The Joker off was truly the best part of the book. And of course Batman beating Superman apart only to "Fake his Death" and to one return again in the sequel that didn't live up to expectations as this book did.

Etrigan
Well, thankyou for the big fat smelly spoilers of who Hush was.

I've read it, but some others might not have.

King_Thorin
Originally posted by MarkyMatt
3) Arkham Asylum- Probably one of the most darkest stories ever written in batman history. It's psychological persona puts it deep into effect which made the story so special. I think Dave McKeon's art also made a big impact on the story which made it dark and creepy. The Joker was the star of the book saying some of the most shocking lines in the book, especially about the joke about the father who's wife was having a baby. Just plain twisted. Add a little of Batman's instinct and survival skill in the book, especially with the fight he had with Killer Croc you got a great book.

2) Hush Volume 1 & 2- Jim Lee's art captured alot of readers eyes which played out a big part of how successful this story was. The storyline though was probably the best though. A new villain introduced using the other villains such as The Joker, Poison Ivy, Two-Face, Killer Croc and others. It made readers keep guessing who was the man behind the bandages? Jeph Loeb made twist and turns making the readers guess at first that it was Harvey Dent (Two-Face). Then they pulled something shocking out supposedly bring back to life the former Robin killed by The Joker, Jason Todd. Of course we all know whoever has read the story what happened next. It was finally reveled that Tommy Elliot childhood friend of Bruce Wayne was Hush. Let's not forget Selina Kyle finally knowing who is the man behind the mask (Batman). As the Catwoman/Batman Relationship took a big step. All the elements were good in this book which made it so special.

1) The Dark Knight Returns- A story that takes place in the future where Batman has not been seen for over 20 years. Finally Bruce Wayne decides to come out of retirement to finally try to win the War on Crime. We also seen the unretirement of The Joker in which goes on a mass murdering seen killing over 200 people in an TV show which he was the special guest. The Final confortation between Batman and The Joker was so special and a fitting in, in how Batman could never finish The Joker off was truly the best part of the book. And of course Batman beating Superman apart only to "Fake his Death" and to one return again in the sequel that didn't live up to expectations as this book did. damn dude, you picked same 3 i was gonna put down.thumb up

Knightfall93
"April Fools! Your wife's dead and your baby's a spastic!

Etrigan
Joker was really harsh in that book.

It was good, though. Scared the hell outta me.

Knightfall93
I havent read it...

Etrigan

Right.

Knightfall93
It sounds a bit... grim

Scarecrow756
It was quite grim.

Knightfall93
i gathered

Etrigan
VERY grim.

Knightfall93
eek

Impediment
Arkham Asylum is one of my top 3, not only because of the fantastic art, but because Grant Morrison showed us all what the infamous Bat-Foes are really like when they're not trying to pull off some nefarious criminal scheme. Drooling, pants-pissing, moaning, wailing, looney-tooney psychotics. Just like the victims of their crimes, the Bat-Foes are victims of their own sicknesses. It's kind of an ironic story, if you ask me.

Knightfall93
Oh, irony, Gods humour!

Etrigan
I thought the art was a bit trippy. So smeared, a bit hard to tell what's happening in some panels... and what was up with Joker's scrawly red font? I could barely read it.

Twas a good book though.

Knightfall93
Good but ggrim. Hmmm... I'll look into it

atharpina
You should definitly look into it.

One of the best, no doubt about it.

Knightfall93
OK, thanks, peops

Etrigan
It's spooky. The way Batman changes is really weird.

I mean, you want to see teh Dark Knight shove a piece of glass into his hand just because Mad Hatter persuaded him to?

Knightfall93
That sucks...???

Impediment
Originally posted by Etrigan
It's spooky. The way Batman changes is really weird.

I mean, you want to see the Dark Knight shove a piece of glass into his hand just because Mad Hatter persuaded him to?

Thats the point of the story: to show us that Batman is just as crazy as the inmates inside the walls of Arkham. The only difference is that Batman is not a murdering sociopath bent on elaborate criminal schemes. The psychosis of the Dark Knight is obsession with bats, and the unrelenting hunger for revenge. A hero he may be, still........Batman is not as sane as you think he is. He even said himself to Gordon: "Batman's not afraid of anything. It's me. I'm afraid. I'm afraid that the Joker might be right about me. Sometimes I.....question the rationality of my actions. And I'm afraid that when I walk throught those asylum gates....when I walk into Arkham and those doors close behind me.....it'll be just like coming home."

Batman Returns
DKR is the BEST. end of story.

Knightfall93
DKR was balls. OK jump out at me if you want...

Impediment
Originally posted by Knightfall93
DKR was balls. OK jump out at me if you want...
So what you're saying is that the vast majority of fans, comic writers and artists, novelists, and critics are.........wrong for for universally praising Frank Miller's definitive Batman story? Wow. Tell me why you thin that DKR was "balls". If you please.

Etrigan
I think he disliked it because Batman was so violent and moody in it.

I admit, I loved it, but it's opinion.

Knightfall93
Sorry, i should have said "in my opinion". You're entitled to love it, I just hat the way batman KILLS in it and he acts as a soddin' paedophile

Impediment
IMO, I love it. It's one of the greatest Batman stories ever. Where do you think that Batman is a "soddin' pedophile"?

Etrigan
I think the idea of that is that Batman walked around naked at one point or something.

IMO, DKR was awesomeness.

Knightfall93
Hee walked around naked... with Carrie

atharpina
I saw the TAS episode with a nod towards DKR in it. I didn't like it much myself. Then I read the book, and agree with Knightfall. The violence just is too...different.

Knightfall93
Which TAS episodse? what happened?

Etrigan
Originally posted by Knightfall93
Hee walked around naked... with Carrie

You have to remember, Batman is a bit of an obsessed nut. He doesn't care. Neither did Carrie. So why should you?

atharpina
Cause....it's creepy.

It was this TAS episode called "Legends of the Dark Knight." It was about these three kids who tell stories about Batman solving different crimes. One was of Batman from like the 40's I guess, fighting the Joker. Then it was the DKR story, fighting the mutants. Then...I don't know. Maybe the third story was set in the normal animated series universe. He fought Firefly in it.

Knightfall93
that sounds crap... anyone got a link to it? I'll check it out if they do...

sapphiremouse
some of these books ive not heard of then again, ive been out of the game for some time. only ones ive got is Dark Knight Returns,The Killing Joke, No Man's Land, A Death in the Famil. big grin

Templares
I hated the TDKR because of the mischaracterization of Superman. I may not have a soft spot for the Boy Scout but what Miller did, in retrospect, was simply apalling.

Arkham Asylum
The Killing Joke
The Long Halloween

Knightfall93
DKR is a loveor hatestory, and I hate, which is in the minority. It didm howeve, do great things for ftre Batman storys

Etrigan
Originally posted by sapphiremouse
some of these books ive not heard of then again, ive been out of the game for some time. only ones ive got is Dark Knight Returns,The Killing Joke, No Man's Land, A Death in the Famil. big grin

They are all major ones which are pretty important Bat stories.

Knightfall93
DKR isnt actually imortant in continuuity, but is important in a collection as its, for many people, the DEFINITIVE Batman story. Etty, I added a Mr J quiz...

Scarecrow756
I personally loved DKR.

Knightfall93
Crow, have you checked out the quiz tgredad?

roughrider
OK - I'm going to get real pissy & specific here. We're talking about Graphic Novels, right? That means something released as a one-shot story. Everyone who is metioning Dark Knight Returns, or Watchmen, or V For Vendetta - those were originally limited series, eventually just collected together. Others like Year One, Hush - regular series with an arc, just put into a collection. Real examples of Graphic Novels ( one-shot issue, coming out all on it's own) - Arkham Asylum, The Killing Joke.

My Number One favourite for this would be an 1980's Marvel Graphic Novel - Doctor Strange: Shamballa; written by J.M. Dematteis and painted by Dan Green.

Others would be:
Daredevil: Love & War - Frank Miller & Bill Sienkiewicz
Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph & Torment - Roger Stern & Mike Mignola
Arkham Asylum - Grant Morrison & Dave McKean

Knightfall93
roughrider, the title said BATMAN graphic novels, and aren't all comics collected together called graphic novels?n I'll be sure to look into the Daredevil one though... HE DA MAN!

roughrider
Yes, I was getting a little off-topic with my editorial. Strictly Batman Graphic Novels, it would go like this:

ARKHAM ASYLUM
GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT
THE KILLING JOKE

plus, the first Batman/Judge Dredd crossover, by John Wagner & Alan Grant with Simon Bisley.

Scarecrow756
What is Gotham By Gaslight like?

roughrider
It's like an Elseworlds Graphic Novel. It's a What-If Bruce Wayne existed in the Victorian era, late 19th century. He gets therapy from Sigmund Freud, and goes after Jack The Ripper.
It was done by Brian Augustyn and Mike Mignola, way back in 1989, same year as Arkham Asylum.

Knightfall93
It's supposed to be brilliant and the 1st Elseworlds story...

Scarecrow756
It sounds ok.

Knightfall93
I hear the limited edition Suprman Elseworlds "Speeding Bullets" which is really a batman story is FANTASTIC, according to Batman-on-Film. Clark Kent is raised by the Waynes and becomes a killer Batman, because his heat vision is activated when the Waynes are murdered...

jeffrodini
I'd just about have to say any Batman story written by Frank Miller... but has he written any others besides Year One, Returns and Strikes again?

MarkyMatt
well add All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder (Sigh) Biggest letdown I've ever read in my life so far.

Knightfall93
Meh... DKR misportaryed Batman IMHO. He was TOO brutal... his work on Daredevil is great though!

Etrigan
I liked it when Batman was an anarchist in Red Son, but that's not a Batman graphic novel.

Thunderstrike
Dark Knight Returns was amazing. I'd put it as #1.
#2 The Killing Joke
#3 Hush

Syndicate_Lord
Anyone read Prdgal? That's a great story just after Knightfall... Dick stnds in as Bats and it's really good!

Etrigan
It was pretty good, yeah, but there has been better.

Syndicate_Lord
It's a great tie up after KnighsEnd. I love the classics of the mid 90s...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.