Star Wars Television Show- Official Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedi Priestess
We dont really have a TV section yet, and I wasnt sure if this would be considered EU? At any rate Im going to slap it up here and if it needs to be moved so be it.

Thanks to movieweb.com

During our recent visit to WonderCon, MovieWeb got to go one-on-one with head of Lucasfilm fan relations, Steve Sansweet, to talk about the company's plans for the upcoming Star Wars TV series in the works.

There were rumors that Kevin Smith would be attached to the Star Wars TV show. Today, he said no.

Steve Sansweet: I can say no too. Kevin's a huge Star Wars fan and it's great to have Kevin as a Star Wars partisan. He's been really nice to us, he mixed the sound of almost all his movies, including the new one, Clerks 2. So no, Kevin's a great guy, but he's not involved in any current Star Wars project. Maybe someday in the future?

Speaking of the future, you said the Star Wars TV show is years away...

Steve Sansweet: We're doing it in two phases. The first is Star Wars animation, which is CG 3-dimensional animation, like a Toy Story, that takes place during the period of the Clone Wars that takes place between Episodes 2 and 3. And that we're setting for Fall of 2007. Preproduction is underway, we're doing animation test, people are working on initial scripts. So we're well under way on that. And George is very much taking hand and is very much part of the whole process. I know some people thought maybe he would just hey "hey, go do it," but George is Star Wars and he's always gonna be very closely involved in this.

The other project is live action, and the live action is going to take place between Episode 3 and Episode 4. We're looking at a 1 hour show and Rick McCallum has said the ideal would be to come up with 100 hours to really get into the story line and characters, and that's the direction we're going in. So that is really targeted more towards the end of the decade.

Speaking of characters, we hear it's not going to be the main characters...

Steve Sansweet: Correct. That's what George has said. For the most part, it's going to be characters you've seen a little of or seen some of, and they will be the central figures. But of course the plot lines will have to take into account what is happening in the rest of the galaxy, so you'll hear the names Luke and Han and Darth and things like that.

So we will have a core group of heros, it won't be episodic with a new hero each episode?

Steve Sansweet: I think there will probably be story arcs where we'll have some very familiar kinds of character continuity. Ya, I think you need to do that to do it like a movie. For most movies, not like Star Wars, but most movies where every movie you do it's a different group of characters. No I don't think that's what Star Wars fans want or expect.

This sounds like possibly one of the most ambitious televisions projects EVER. How is it going to happen?

Steve Sansweet: Somebody has to buy it first, you know what I mean? You can produce lots of TV and unless it's very compelling, nobody's going to want to put it on their channel. But there's so many channels of distribution. You turn around and every 6 months there's something new. There's ipod downloads, there's premium sites, there's through-the-telephone. You just don't know what's going to be here in a couple of years. In 3 years, what's going to be the hot new way of distributing? So I think that's always a possibility. Clearly you want to do something that's going to get to as many fans as possible that's as wide as possible.

Do you think it's possible to see failure with the foundation of the Star Wars universe, the merchandise, the movies, the DVD's.

Steve Sansweet: If you're always concerned with failure, you're never going to go out there and take any risk at all. Star Wars itself was a huge risk from the very beginning. Even Empire Strikes Back. As successful as Star Wars was, the bank that was lending George money to make the movie independently cut off his credit line. Nothing is a sure thing. I think there's every indication that we're going to do things that people are going to like and there's the sort of way you head.

Would it be too early to speculate on new villains? A new Grievous/Darth Maul type?

Steve Sansweet: I think in the Clone Wars animation, I think it's possible that we're going to see villains that we already know, like Grievous. I think it's way to early to speculate what's going to happen in the TV show. I think George has an idea of what he wants to do, where he wants to go with it, what kinds of characters he wants in it, but that's something...he's working on the animation right now...that he'll explore later.

How come Jar Jar didn't die in Episode 3???

Steve Sansweet: You shouldn't assume things... I'm not saying he did, but all kinds of things happened off screen in different areas of the universe. I didn't see him in the funeral procession for Padme. But you never know the future of Jar Jar, there's a lot of years to go into with Star Wars. You don't know what happened between 3 and 4. That's a 19 year period, lots of stuff can happen.

As for the new TV show: There's so much dynamic action in the movies, can that possibly be duplicated for a TV show?

Steve Sansweet: Ya, I really think you can do that in episodic TV now. It's interesting because a lot of the techniques that Geroge used in Episode 1, for example, were things that he developed in "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles." Some of the special fx techniques of crowd, doubling, tripling, quadrupling the size. With computer animation and storage and rendering getting faster and faster, I think you'll be able to see some of the things you see in the movies be transfered to the TV. Look at some of the shows like Galactica and some of the other shows that have amazing special Fx."

Any idea on the music?

Steve Sansweet: Of course we used John Williams music in The Clone Wars, the cartoons on Cartoon Network. I don't know if any specific decision on that has been made.

3D Star wars, what can you tell us about that?

Steve Sansweet: Well, the technique exists. George and Rick McCallum are very excited about it, but you need to do a digital projection of the movie. That's how this system works. Look, there's like 90 screens in the US that have digital projections, the same number they had back in 1999, that's clearly not going to do it. You need at least 1,000 or a couple of thousand theaters in order to spend the kind of money it takes to convert the film to 3D. Late in 2005 and and this year, a lot of theaters are announcing that they are going to switch to digital projection. People have come up with a standard for the projection and they're coming up with schemes in order to finance it. It's just a matter of time. If there will be enough theaters by 2007 or if we'll have to wait a little bit longer. But it's going to happen, and it's going to happen in the near future.

Ya, we have James Cameron, Robert Rodreguiz...

Steve Sansweet: Ya, a lot of people are going digital. The thing with digital is, it's just a transmission method. It can look like film. You can make it do whatever you want to do. It's just an easier kind of thing to use.

Indiana Jones?

Steve Sansweet: We're all hoping. We have our fingers crossed. There's a script that's been done. We just need to get the buy-off of three very independent men: Harrison Ford, Steven Speilberg and George Lucas. And were all hoping that there is an agreement and that we can go ahead and film Indy 4 sometime this year, late this year.

Any details you can give up?

Steve Sansweet: George knows, Harrison knows and Steven knows, and they are keeping a very closed mouth about it. I don't know, that's for sure.

Any last comments you wanna throw in there?

Steve Sansweet: It's so great to see the fans out there supporting us. And they know, as we've been saying, "Star Wars is forever." We really mean it and that's because the fans have been so supportive. They want more and we're going to give them more. As long as they want it, we're going to have it for them.

PVS
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
...like a Toy Story

sick

Jedi Priestess
I was just kind of doing the happy dance that Kevin Smith wasnt going to be involved myself. laughing out loud

sithsaber408

Steve Sansweet: Well, the technique exists. George and Rick McCallum are very excited about it, but you need to do a digital projection of the movie. That's how this system works. Look, there's like 90 screens in the US that have digital projections, the same number they had back in 1999, that's clearly not going to do it. You need at least 1,000 or a couple of thousand theaters in order to spend the kind of money it takes to convert the film to 3D. Late in 2005 and and this year, a lot of theaters are announcing that they are going to switch to digital projection. People have come up with a standard for the projection and they're coming up with schemes in order to finance it. It's just a matter of time. If there will be enough theaters by 2007 or if we'll have to wait a little bit longer. But it's going to happen, and it's going to happen in the near future.

Boy I can't wait for this!!! eek!

I know of 2 or 3 theatres in Northern California/the Bay Area that have digital projectors, I just hope that the rest of the theatres get on the ball soon.

This would be an awesome event, ... I can already see people linning up for it.

Imagine 3-d digital movies, that don't require the glasses. eek!

KENobi™
How is this not EU? Expanded Universe, aka what's not seen in the movies.

Either way, great read.

PVS
i think that puts it above EU. non-canon yea, but i dont think its EU at all.

KENobi™
Originally posted by PVS
i think that puts it above EU. non-canon yea, but i dont think its EU at all.

He was involved with The Clone Wars cartoon as well, yet that was in the EU forum.

Da preacher
Sorry JP, but I think this is definately for the EU section.

BUSTED!

Thorin
cant wait for it to come out on tv.w00t

Cascador
I dont know...Its mainly about the tv series...and they take it over where the "movie" of episode III ends + the fact that George Lucas is involved makes it non-EU...he was going to write the first 100 episodes of the tv-serie, right? So it's canon...all EU is not canon...so it belongs more here than in EU

actually it belongs in the secton of Star Wars tv...but like she said, that doesn't exist yet.

PVS

KENobi™
Originally posted by PVS
but is clone wars really EU? whats ush's take?

Not all of EU is non-canon. The title itself "Expanded Universe" classifies any given medium that is not the actual movie, whether it be books, tv, games, etc.

If Lucas wrote a new Star Wars novel, based after ROTJ that would be classified as EU, would it not?

Scarecrow756
We dont really have a TV section yet, and I wasnt sure if this would be considered EU? At any rate Im going to slap it up here and if it needs to be moved so be it.

Thanks to movieweb.com

During our recent visit to WonderCon, MovieWeb got to go one-on-one with head of Lucasfilm fan relations, Steve Sansweet, to talk about the company's plans for the upcoming Star Wars TV series in the works.

There were rumors that Kevin Smith would be attached to the Star Wars TV show. Today, he said no.

Steve Sansweet: I can say no too. Kevin's a huge Star Wars fan and it's great to have Kevin as a Star Wars partisan. He's been really nice to us, he mixed the sound of almost all his movies, including the new one, Clerks 2. So no, Kevin's a great guy, but he's not involved in any current Star Wars project. Maybe someday in the future?

Speaking of the future, you said the Star Wars TV show is years away...

Steve Sansweet: We're doing it in two phases. The first is Star Wars animation, which is CG 3-dimensional animation, like a Toy Story, that takes place during the period of the Clone Wars that takes place between Episodes 2 and 3. And that we're setting for Fall of 2007. Preproduction is underway, we're doing animation test, people are working on initial scripts. So we're well under way on that. And George is very much taking hand and is very much part of the whole process. I know some people thought maybe he would just hey "hey, go do it," but George is Star Wars and he's always gonna be very closely involved in this.

The other project is live action, and the live action is going to take place between Episode 3 and Episode 4. We're looking at a 1 hour show and Rick McCallum has said the ideal would be to come up with 100 hours to really get into the story line and characters, and that's the direction we're going in. So that is really targeted more towards the end of the decade.

Speaking of characters, we hear it's not going to be the main characters...

Steve Sansweet: Correct. That's what George has said. For the most part, it's going to be characters you've seen a little of or seen some of, and they will be the central figures. But of course the plot lines will have to take into account what is happening in the rest of the galaxy, so you'll hear the names Luke and Han and Darth and things like that.

So we will have a core group of heros, it won't be episodic with a new hero each episode?

Steve Sansweet: I think there will probably be story arcs where we'll have some very familiar kinds of character continuity. Ya, I think you need to do that to do it like a movie. For most movies, not like Star Wars, but most movies where every movie you do it's a different group of characters. No I don't think that's what Star Wars fans want or expect.

This sounds like possibly one of the most ambitious televisions projects EVER. How is it going to happen?

Steve Sansweet: Somebody has to buy it first, you know what I mean? You can produce lots of TV and unless it's very compelling, nobody's going to want to put it on their channel. But there's so many channels of distribution. You turn around and every 6 months there's something new. There's ipod downloads, there's premium sites, there's through-the-telephone. You just don't know what's going to be here in a couple of years. In 3 years, what's going to be the hot new way of distributing? So I think that's always a possibility. Clearly you want to do something that's going to get to as many fans as possible that's as wide as possible.

Do you think it's possible to see failure with the foundation of the Star Wars universe, the merchandise, the movies, the DVD's.

Steve Sansweet: If you're always concerned with failure, you're never going to go out there and take any risk at all. Star Wars itself was a huge risk from the very beginning. Even Empire Strikes Back. As successful as Star Wars was, the bank that was lending George money to make the movie independently cut off his credit line. Nothing is a sure thing. I think there's every indication that we're going to do things that people are going to like and there's the sort of way you head.

Would it be too early to speculate on new villains? A new Grievous/Darth Maul type?

Steve Sansweet: I think in the Clone Wars animation, I think it's possible that we're going to see villains that we already know, like Grievous. I think it's way to early to speculate what's going to happen in the TV show. I think George has an idea of what he wants to do, where he wants to go with it, what kinds of characters he wants in it, but that's something...he's working on the animation right now...that he'll explore later.

How come Jar Jar didn't die in Episode 3???

Steve Sansweet: You shouldn't assume things... I'm not saying he did, but all kinds of things happened off screen in different areas of the universe. I didn't see him in the funeral procession for Padme. But you never know the future of Jar Jar, there's a lot of years to go into with Star Wars. You don't know what happened between 3 and 4. That's a 19 year period, lots of stuff can happen.

As for the new TV show: There's so much dynamic action in the movies, can that possibly be duplicated for a TV show?

Steve Sansweet: Ya, I really think you can do that in episodic TV now. It's interesting because a lot of the techniques that Geroge used in Episode 1, for example, were things that he developed in "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles." Some of the special fx techniques of crowd, doubling, tripling, quadrupling the size. With computer animation and storage and rendering getting faster and faster, I think you'll be able to see some of the things you see in the movies be transfered to the TV. Look at some of the shows like Galactica and some of the other shows that have amazing special Fx."

Any idea on the music?

Steve Sansweet: Of course we used John Williams music in The Clone Wars, the cartoons on Cartoon Network. I don't know if any specific decision on that has been made.

Ya, we have James Cameron, Robert Rodreguiz...

Steve Sansweet: Ya, a lot of people are going digital. The thing with digital is, it's just a transmission method. It can look like film. You can make it do whatever you want to do. It's just an easier kind of thing to use.

Indiana Jones?

Steve Sansweet: We're all hoping. We have our fingers crossed. There's a script that's been done. We just need to get the buy-off of three very independent men: Harrison Ford, Steven Speilberg and George Lucas. And were all hoping that there is an agreement and that we can go ahead and film Indy 4 sometime this year, late this year.

Any details you can give up?

Steve Sansweet: George knows, Harrison knows and Steven knows, and they are keeping a very closed mouth about it. I don't know, that's for sure.

Any last comments you wanna throw in there?

Steve Sansweet: It's so great to see the fans out there supporting us. And they know, as we've been saying, "Star Wars is forever." We really mean it and that's because the fans have been so supportive. They want more and we're going to give them more. As long as they want it, we're going to have it for them.

Sounds exciting I can`t hardly wait. eek!

Jedi Priestess
Holy hannah! For those of you areguing this I think the part I underlined makes it quite clear as to what I was thinking when I posted it here. I ALSO said if it needs to be moved feel free to move it.

Good grief http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/spadesmamma61/Smilies/POS.gif Im continually reminded why I shouldnt be posting news to this hell hole anymore. erm

KENobi™
Coulda slapped it in the EU forum and if it needed to be moved out of there, so be it. eek!

Jedi Priestess
That would work if I ever WENT to the EU section, but since I dont, and I wasnt sure if it WAS EU or not, I put it here as it can just as easily be moved if need be. BUT, why dont we wait till an actual moderator stops by and weighs in k? eek!

PVS
we were not arguing the validity of the thread. just dabating whether or not it falls into the technicallity of EU. nobody suggested any thread moving. at least thats not what i was doing.

chinabing
I can't wait for a "very special" episode of Star Wars.

Jedi Priestess
Going by that statement wouldnt it stand to reason if it is EU it will need to be moved. yes

PVS
Going by that statement wouldnt it stand to reason if it is EU it will need to be moved. yes

i'm arguing that its not EU.
my reasoning is GL's direct involvement and the direct tie in with the saga story line. same for clone wars.

KENobi™

yes

Originally posted by chinabing
I can't wait for a "very special" episode of Star Wars.

"Master Yoda, I need to speak with you about...drugs."
"I hear that some Younglings have been molested. Anakin? Were you...touched...when you were in the younger classes?"

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by PVS
my reasoning is GL's direct involvement and the direct tie in with the saga story line. same for clone wars.

I have no idea what it is myself. I just thought people might be interested in it is all. As I said, Im sorry now that I even posted it.

queeq
But who visits the EU section? This is too important NOT to be discussed. I'm gonna leave it here for a while.

KENobi™
Originally posted by PVS

And as I already said, not all EU is non-canon, it is possible for direct Tie-In's to still be considered EU. Look at the novel "The Approaching Storm", the book was written as a precursor to Episode II because Lucas wanted that story told, and he references it in the movie's opening scroll as well. To me that is a direct tie-in.

The Clone Wars cartoon, though it's out-there, is directly tied into the movies as well, where do you think Grievous got his cough? The show is EU, but it ties in.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by queeq
This is too important NOT to be discussed. I'm gonna leave it here for a while.

Well ok then that was my thought as well. Good to know I put it in the right place for now.

chinabing
Canon vs. Eu arguments kill threads!

But back to the tv series, I think it's fantastic! Story lines I'd like to see:

"Teen Boba": It's "The OC" meets Sci-fi's "Galactica"
"Governor's Aide" It's like "Benson" meets "Star Trek"
"Gungan At Large," "Mon Mothma vs. Mon Calarmi" etc. etc.

Blaxican_Jedi
this awsome. I went to Wonder-Con and saw the starwars part of it to. i also posted something like this in the EU section before I knew this was here. Ah well. No one was as intrested in MY thread. *feels hurt*

KENobi™

No no expression

PVS

its a news thread so who gives a shit?

whats to discuss?

"ZOMG THIS IS THE SHIZNIT!!!1111"

Ushgarak

KENobi™
Originally posted by Ushgarak
No, because the definition of EU is basically that GL didn't do it. Whether it was canon or not would be a different question, though I would suspect GL would say it is.

Anyway, as queeq says, this belongs here for importance stakes. This is the most 'current' EU area; if the tv series ever takes off it will probably get an area of its own.

Show me this definition, link me to where it says this on the official site.

The title itself means Expanded, aka anything added to the overall story that is not the movies.

PVS

KENobi™
Originally posted by PVS
i always though that the true definition of EU is both

-a piece of work which GL took no part in creating, but rather just looked at it and said "yeah sure, its ok. you can use my trademark"

and

-a piece of work which does not directly tie into the sage. a.k.a. the adventures of adolescent yoda and things of this sort

That's my point.

The TV show is not going to be a direct tie-in, it will be focused on characters we've seen briefly or not at all.

PVS

KENobi™
Originally posted by PVS
well, i think the reference to major saga charaters kinda works it out of the EU area by technicality. you know what? i dont think there is a definative answer to it confused

I don't see how. Other EU items have references major characters as well.

DE Calvin

Shut up. The EU forum is better than this one, at least we use logic.

KENobi™
Originally posted by DE Calvin

Dude...no.

The EU forum is okay if you stick to the novel threads or those about game strategy, but the Vs. threads are idiotic.

PVS

laughing out loud good one

DE Calvin

Jedi Priestess
Sorry but ALL the vs threads in there are stupid far as I'm concerned. And not just in the SW section, the comic VS threads are just as asinine.

Cascador
I agree...its stupid that they always try to figure out who's stronger...what's this obsession who is stronger anyway!
Anakin was stronger than Obi-Wan basically but still Obi-Wan won the duel!

KENobi™
Sorry but ALL the vs threads in there are stupid far as I'm concerned. And not just in the SW section, the comic VS threads are just as asinine.

Vs. threads, no matter the content = stupid. yes

PVS
i find that most trolls come from the vs. forum.
thats not a spit in the face of people that like the forum.
just pointing out an observation. it seems to attract less savory people.

chinabing
Sorry, reading vs. threads and "it's EU" or "it's Canon" flame threads cause eyes to glaze over.

Jedi Priestess

KENobi™
well ya know, it is a global matter of life and death if the Hulk can take down Supes and if Maul can kick Xizor's ass. laughing out loud

The whole concept is idiotic.

Maul would never face Xizor, and if he did Xizor is not a fighter anyways, just a crimelord. It's up to the actual writers to decide who would win regardless.

But what's worse is when they have (I swear I saw this one) 3 Darth Mauls vs. Mace Windu, Anakin Skywalker, and Kit Fisto....something that would never happen!

Jedi Priestess

KENobi™
Hearkens back to the playground arguments of "oh yeah, well my dad can kick YOUR dad's ass" mentality. erm

yes

DE Calvin
You guys really should get involved some debates, which is where we derive the fun from. The EU forums subscribers, also have a wider view of things and use real logic. yes

Jedi Priestess
The EU forums subscribers, also have a wider view of things and use real logic. yes

hysterical um no thanks no expression

KENobi™
You guys really should get involved some debates, which is where we derive the fun from. The EU forums subscribers, also have a wider view of things and use real logic. yes

Real logic, meaning...2 General Grievous' vs. Wicket, C-3PO and Obi-Wan Kenobi?

DE Calvin

Mišt
Wow, a relelvant thread....oh wait, its already gone offtopic with useless crap...what a shame...

2007w00t Only a freakin' year away!

Sucks about the live action being so far away though sad

Now if only people could make relevant threads like this more often.....

Cascador
Well I don't mind the EU threads...there is at least some sense there IMO
but the versus threads are stupid...you can't get any logic or knowledge out of those threads...often they are also mistaken and try to think that this or that person would win just because they prefer that character above the other, which makes the competition unfair.

Mišt
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f86/t392045.html

Originally posted by Blaxican_Jedi
ditto.

Originally posted by Faroth
True dat.

Originally posted by PurpleSaber
Good point, Fett wins.

Originally posted by JaehSkywalker
fett.

Sounds like the party is going off in that place...banana5 Real logic...they havent given over half a sentence to support their arguments...you cant just post an answer and assume it's the right one. These people lack the mind power to come up with pros and cons of each character, certain situations that might occur, or even take into consideration any locations that the fights take place.
Originally posted by bad_boba017
Setting In geonosis arena

Whats the point of putting a setting in if you're not going to incorporate it into your arguments? No one so far has used that point in an argument.

Omg Im ranting about a forum I dont even like sick

Ushgarak

PVS
Originally posted by Ushgarak
EU material is done under a particular licensing arrangement as the franchise is tendered out to other writers.

If GL ever did more work, it wouldn't come under that process. EU isn't a vague term, it is one that is officially used, and it will never apply to anything GL does.

And for certain, anything GL does will not be considered EU on these forums.

BUT...what if...for the sake of argument...GL decided to produce a star wars story removed from the saga. lets say he chose to do a "tales of the jedi" series. would that be considered 'expanded universe'

Ushgarak
It doesn't make much difference, GL doesn't consider the Holiday Special to be in continuity at all, but that doesn't make it EU.

If GL specifically produced something FOR the EU, it would be different, but that's getting beyond any useful scenario.

DE Calvin

queeq
Noobs are good.... to b!tch about. wink

kimmeh
I was just kind of doing the happy dance that Kevin Smith wasnt going to be involved myself. laughing out loud

miffed

ShadowKing
How much import can we put in Steve Sansweet's interview...the dude stated he didn't see Jar-Jar at Padme's funeral procession....does he even watch the frikkin movies!!!bangin

...I, for one, thought the Clone Wars cartoons outdid EP III for pacing (especially the tight first season), character development (face it, Grievous in Clone Wars = Bad Ass Jedi stomper, Grievous in EP III = grade B wimpy villain), and action (Anakin and the Clones being attacked by Asajj Ventress). EU or canon, good story beats flawed story every time. CGI animated characters could look awesome if they don't go all kiddie with it and god help them if they make it look like anime!

TV show is too far off in the future to have much to say on it...will we even care about more SW stories in 3 - 4 years? bored

sithsaber408
Originally posted by ShadowKing

TV show is too far off in the future to have much to say on it...will we even care about more SW stories in 3 - 4 years? bored

eek! yes

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by kimmeh
miffed

Sorry Bilb, I think he sux. laughing out loud

queeq
Hehehehe

PVS
i think that if given the opportunity kevin smith would surprise everyone.
just because he makes silly movies doesnt mean he's limited to them, and he
is one of the biggest star wars fans out there.

Cascador
I think actually that his movies are good, and yeah is a great star wars fan...I saw his reviews about the prequels and he praises them. I think he would do a good job!

PVS
well, he actually ripped into ep1 heavily.

J-Unit
I just hope the series will turn up good and tie in good with episode III and IV thats all u should proably think the same smile

chinabing
Kevin Smith is a lewd punk. Anyone read his Rolling Stone SW article last year? I wish he'd stay away from Star Wars.

queeq
He can love it but shouldn't make it.

Unless we get Darth Silent Bob...

Jedi Priestess
zap dont EVEN suggest that

KENobi™
Originally posted by PVS
i think that if given the opportunity kevin smith would surprise everyone.
just because he makes silly movies doesnt mean he's limited to them, and he
is one of the biggest star wars fans out there.

Exactly. Look at what he's done with the comics he writes. Amazing work that isn't childish, fart jokes.

Originally posted by PVS
well, he actually ripped into ep1 heavily.

Rightfully so.

Cascador
yeah but I've seen his reviews of episode II and III
you can't say that he complained about those...

queeq
Which is rather suspicious...

ShadowKing
....a not faraway future on Fox.......

Star Wars - The TV Show

This weeks episode written and directed by Kevin Smith

scene...

Coruscant, outside the Emperor's chambers as he holds a meeting with Darth Vader, two Clone Warriors approach the Imperial Guard....

Clone1: Look here Zeta3, two Imperials...have you ever seen such a pair...

Clone 2: Wait ...something's not right (turns his head sideways)...oh right...right! I'm just not used to seeing them when they're not flat on their ass...

laughter ensues

Imperial Guard 1: Shut up dickwad...or I'll have fat ass (IG 2's helmet turns to look at IG1) here lay into you like I did your mom last night! WHAT Beyotch?

IG1 begins to pace left and right, ending in a pelvic thrusting stance...

yeah, Kevin Smith would be a great choice... roll eyes (sarcastic)

sithsaber408
"You can call me... Darth Balls. BUNG!!!"

sick big grin

ShadowKing
laughing

general_lloyd
wink wink

general_lloyd
oh i get it now Happy Dance laughing out loud Happy Dance

general_lloyd
helpsmilie

general_lloyd
blowup

queeq
Oh Kevin...

Cascador
Originally posted by queeq
Oh Kevin...

I think he tries to make a love confession but he can't find the words roll eyes (sarcastic) J/K

queeq
I wonder why...

EPIIIBITES
I am starting to think more and more about the Star Wars TV series...and I'm getting a little worried!!

These tv shows are gonna rock. They're gonna be like a hundered mini movies full of cool stuff and cool effects (I'd imagine done with the latest digital filming technology). How cool will that look on kick ass tv?

EPIIIBITES
Reason #1: Gotta seriously get a new kick-ass tv. Lucas knows exactly where the future of film is heading...And it's about making digital entertainment for kick ass wide-screen TVs and the latest in high tech home entertainment systems...Imagine if they make the episodes in widescreen...Oh my.

Reason #2: Gonna have to buy the DVD TV boxsets. Just thinking that the Lucasfilm gameplan is to pour a lot of money into every one of these episodes, knowing full well they're gonna get it all back by being the best selling TV boxsets of all time. Don't think the tv rights will give them enough return...unless it's all Superbowl commercials or something.

and Reason #3: The sheer time spent probably watching these more than just once. I really hope it's got tons of cool visuals, action, sets, etc...and not a whole lotta love story or anything.

Ok. I'm excited

Red Superfly
Well, seeing as Vader is just a guy in a costume, its obvious he'll be in it a lot due to no need for big actors (apart from JEJ).

So, "hell yeah it will rock" comes to mind.

But then I realise its Lucas doing it, and he's made three pretty crappy movies on the trot so far.

Sith Master X
Well, Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid have expressed their interest in returning for the TV show. It'll probably be pretty good.

Captain REX
Only question is how would Ewan return? Obi-Wan is hiding on Tatooine.

Palpatine returning, though, would probably be a very vital thing.

We can only hope for the best. I will probably watch the TV show despite all corniness.

Red Superfly
Originally posted by Captain REX
Only question is how would Ewan return? Obi-Wan is hiding on Tatooine.

Palpatine returning, though, would probably be a very vital thing.

We can only hope for the best. I will probably watch the TV show despite all corniness.

All of Obi-Wan's scenes will be him and Qui-Gon in Obi-Wans pad.

Qui-Gon: "You learned that ghost trick yet"

Obi-Wan: "No. Go away"

Qui-Gon: "I'm just saying"

Obi-Wan: "Well don't"

Qui-Gon: "How long have you been here now? 2, 3 years?"

Obi-Wan: "7 years."

Qui-Gon: "Man...."

Obi-Wan: "..................."

Qui Gon: "I did it on my first try"

Obi-Wan: "SHUT UP!!!! SHUT UP!!! SHUT UUUUUUUUUP!"

Captain REX
laughing out loud

I heard Frank Oz wants to come back as Yoda, too... whistle

PVS
nothing to lose.
if it rules i'll love it.
if it sucks i'll disown it.
so bring it on smile

Amun~RA
Originally posted by PVS
nothing to lose.
if it rules i'll love it.
if it sucks i'll disown it.
so bring it on smile well i gues you covered the basics. no expression

Darth Subjekt
Didnt HC say he would come back for it?

Bespin Bart
...Why?

Stun
he may remove his mask in a meditation chamber maybe? i'd definatley be interested if Ian's coming backwink

NoFate007
I thought it wasn't supposed to include any of the main characters, including Vader. I thought it was supposed to be basically about a few characters that they'll just make up and do whatever they want to with. I assume that means "here are like 3 Jedi we made up, here are like 3 Rebel Alliance soldiers, and here are like 4 Imperials, throw in a bunch of guys in stormtrooper armor and we'll just make every episode one of those types of series when they just go to a new place, meet a new guest character, fight the bad guys, everyone leaves, and then we restart again" kind of things.

Who knows.

Jedi Priestess
Thats what I heard too.
Where are you guys getting all this Ian, Ewan and Hayden comng back stuff. huh Id like to see some linkage on
that.

LanceWindu
Thats what I heard too.
Where are you guys getting all this Ian, Ewan and Hayden comng back stuff. huh Id like to see some linkage on
that.

I've heard them all mention it...doesn't mean they'll get their wishes. The only one I want back is Ian.

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by NoFate007
I thought it wasn't supposed to include any of the main characters, including Vader. I thought it was supposed to be basically about a few characters that they'll just make up and do whatever they want to with.

As far as I know from all the artciles I've read that's baically it. And really, it makes sense that Lucas wants to just wanna leave the classic characters and stuff alone and have a fresh pallette to work with.

...and you'd have to think that's good in a way...having the usual suspects in there could be limiting for the writers...plus there'd be the risk of them writing some dumb stuff about the classic characters that could just ruin them.

I'm guessing they'll maybe have Vader and the Emperor in it in very limited supply, and make references about OT and NT stuff, but that's about it.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by LanceWindu
I've heard them all mention it...doesn't mean they'll get their wishes. The only one I want back is Ian.

DO you have a link for that? I just cant imagine Ewan OR Hayden agreeing to do TV.

Fox5
Agreed,show us some proof to support your claims please.

EPIIIBITES
I wanna see some bounty hunter stories. A whole episode following a week in the life of a bounty hunter.

Fox5
Well you may,somewhat, get your wish.There's a rumor that It may be based on Boba Fett.I may be wrong,because like I said,it's a rumor.

DeVi| D0do
I remember reading very recently that McCallum sai dthere will be no "stars" from the films in the series... Whether that means characters or actors, I don't know...

PVS
Originally posted by LanceWindu

thats the only semi-likely candidate.
as for obiwan, all he would be doing is hanging out on tattooine and contacting quigon, and there's no way in hell they'll get liam neeson to do the show, so scratch that. and why would GL bother cutting a check for hayden when the only possible scenario would be a chamber scene. not really necessary. even yoda's presence would make no sense at all. until luke shows up he's nothing more than a little green basketcase on dagobah. yup, the only one with any significance at all would be palps, but really he's not needed either, just as he wasnt needed in ANH or RotJ (barring the hologram scene). im sure we'll here plenty of references to all of them, but highly doubht we'll see any of them. maybe a hologram or two of him dishing orders, but i wouldnt expect much more. as far as vader, i can see that happening, considering he is the ey player for the bad guys in ep4, it only makes sense...just to help tie eps 3 and 4 together, or whats the point?

Mišt
The more you think about the tv series, the more disappointed/excited you'll be, and it'll end up like ROTS where some parts were let down because of over hyped and so on.....so I say go find a new hobby for a few years, then wait until it actually comes out. At this point in time, I couldnt give two shits whether Obi Wan or Boba or anyone else is gonna be in it.

PVS
well your no fun! schmoll

chinabing
I think it'll probably be like the "Young Indiana Jones" series. I only watched a couple episodes, and was like "eh."

Now for a Star Wars TV series, I think they should get Harvey Korman and Bea Arthur!

Stun
i read on Wikipedia that Ewan, Ian and Jimmy Smits all expressed interest in the project, and Daniel logan i think has been called back to reprise his role as Boba Fett - yet nothing set in concrete, although all of this was listed under the facts according to Wiki

Facts
Pre-production was expected to begin in January 2006. Whether it has or not has not been confirmed.
In a recent interview, Steve Sansweet stated that the series will be released "towards the end of the decade." He gave the time period until release to be "about 3 years." Although the exact time of release is rather ambiguous at this point, fans expect the release to be around 2008.
The series will focus on minor characters in the Star Wars films, ones who viewers have seen on screen before in the films themselves.
The entire series will be set in the 19-year time period between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.
The series will last 100 episodes at 1 hour per episode.
Daniel Logan, who played the Young Boba Fett, has been asked to reprise his role as Fett for the new series by Lucas.
Lucas will produce the show with his work for the first season, and then "hand it off from there."
The style of the series will be in a similar style to Lucas' Young Indiana Jones TV series.
Cameos by main characters are not totally out of the question.
The show is still in its early planning stages, so many plot and/or story elements may change, as Lucas has shown to change his mind easily, such as expressing an interest in expanding the character Aayla Secura, then killing her in Episode III.
According to Lucas at Celebration II, in the series, "a lot of the issues from the films are connected, but you won't necessarily see a lot of the people that are connected."
Lucas has stated that, in producing the show, "we will do what would typically cost $20 million, for $1 million."
Lucas has stated that if this series, along with the 3-D animated Clone Wars series is successful, more series may follow. According to an interview at his AFI lifetime achievement ceremony, future series may include the possibility of a Knights of the Old Republic-era series.
Frank Oz (Yoda), Ian McDiarmid (Palpatine), Jimmy Smits (Bail Organa), Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan Kenobi) and Temuera Morrison (Jango Fett/clonetroopers) have expressed their interest in occasional appearances.
The series will be shot using Hi-Definition cameras, according to Rick McCallum at a recent press conference for the Revenge of the Sith DVD.
McCallum also confirms at the conference that many characters from the Expanded Universe will be seen in the series, who had previously only been seen in the novels, comics, video games, and other media.
McCallum describes the series as: "It is going to be much darker, grittier. It's much more character-based."
McCallum says on the writing and plot of the series: "We are just starting to interview writers and trying to really figure out which direction to go to. He envisions somewhere like 100 hours between Episode III and Episode IV with a lot of characters that we haven't met that have been developed in some of the novels and other things. We are really excited about that. Finally, we could have the opportunity to answer everybody's questions once and for all by the time we finish the series."
Only one major Rebel victory will occur in the series, per the opening crawl of A New Hope. However, it is possible that the Rebels may win minor victories.

chinabing
Originally posted by Stun
Only one major Rebel victory will occur in the series, per the opening crawl of A New Hope. However, it is possible that the Rebels may win minor victories.
It's been a while, but I think that battle was in the SW Radio Drama.

There was a surface battle with Vader, (Brock Peters great voice), and I think in another episode Leia gets the Tantive close to another ship and copies the Death Star files onto the ships "memory banks." Then they hop over to Tatooine to go find Obi-Wan, and then Vader's star destoryer appears again and ep IV's crawls rolls.

Sith Master X
Yep, I was about to post but Stun beat me to it. Wikipedia is also where I found Ewan and Ian expressing their interest in returning.

amity75
Ewan has bitched so much about Star Wars that I find it doubtful he'd want to return. Unless his movie career has dried up by the end of the decade...

sithsaber408
They could pay him a cool mil to do a day's worth of work, which would amount to like, 6 or 7 min. of screen time.

He'd do it.

They'd all do it.

GL has said "minor characters" from the movies, but just the other day RM said that they might open up with a bounty hunter-translate "Bobba"- to get things rolling.

I bet alot can change between here and then, and you can bet that Vader (whether played by Hayden or not) will make a guest apperance and kill a few Joe Jedi padawan's during Sweeps Week.

Sith Master X
Originally posted by amity75
Ewan has bitched so much about Star Wars that I find it doubtful he'd want to return. Unless his movie career has dried up by the end of the decade...

I'm curious, when did Ewan complain about Star Wars? He was always praising them whenever I saw him. erm

Jedi Priestess
you guys DO know that Winkipedia isnt necessarily FACT dont you?

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by sithsaber408
I bet alot can change between here and then, and you can bet that Vader (whether played by Hayden or not) will make a guest apperance and kill a few Joe Jedi padawan's during Sweeps Week.

...I like the way you think, Saber.

darthvader_fan
you guys DO know that Winkipedia isnt necessarily FACT dont you? sounds fact to me

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by Sith Master X
I'm curious, when did Ewan complain about Star Wars? He was always praising them whenever I saw him. erm

Ewan's on record for calling Phantom Menace "flat". He's shown his displeasure with it in a couple of interviews.

He said AOTC was an improvement on the first film, but seemed to kinda piss off Lucas et. all when he poked jabs at the film title the day it was revealed. While at a movie premiere with Nicole Kidman they started making fun of the tiltle, replacing "clones" with clowns" and riculing it. It was either McCullom or Lucas that made a comment following the incident on how innapropriate they thought that was and how he should be behind the films.

He did back up Ep.III all the way though...

...which of course I don't get...

...'cause if you know anything about me...

...you know that I think EPIII...

..........BITES!

sorry, couldn't resist.

EPIIIBITES

I do a website for my program at my university...and my profs weren't too impressed when I put a link on there to Wikipedia for students to use.

It's not reliable stuff.

JaehSkywalker
I wish it'll be showed in the philippines.... and not in cable... coz we don't have one... :cry:

DarthBanevv
You could always buy the dvds once they come out.

Stun

i never said that it was fact, but a fact they expressed interest. Though i think we need to hear this from other articles first

DarthBanevv
I have searched the web and I have a rumor that the person that will be at the helm of this project, will be Kevin Smith.

chinabing
Please no oh please no Kevin Smith. Ya can't swear on TV or in Star Wars, so KS already has 2 strikes against him.

DarthBanevv
I don't want KS either, but who do you think should do the show?

Stun
i think Sansweet stated that KS will have nothing to do with the project

Tthe Almighty
wikipedia is normally wrong, i have heard about the TV series i don't think it will be any good because the actors in the films would want to be paid a lot, and TV pays less so they may not accept the over especially Ewan McGregor (obi wan, eps,1,2,and 3). as he will be in other films.

DarthBanevv
I got this from IESB.com. I never said it was a fact.

Emerica67
when is it supposed to premiere and what channell

EPIIIBITES
Login and ask again in about 24 months from now and we might have a better idea.

Lana
I can't say I'm very interested in this at the moment, or that I have any real excitement for it.

Because face it, it's going to be FAR easier for them to majorly **** up and bomb with the TV show than for it to be great.

Therefore I am going to remain skeptical about it. That way if it turns out good, it will be a surprise. If it doesn't, I won't be disappointed with it.

InfiniteDY
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14125

Edit: And might I suggest making this a sticky thread... that way any new news on the show could be posted all in one place. smile

sithsaber408
From commingsoon.net:

- The "Star Wars" live action television show will consist of 100 hours ( or 100 1 hour each episodes )
- The "Star Wars" live action television show will be based on secondary characters with possible cameos by some movie characters
- The "Star Wars" live action television show will take place between Episode 3 & 4
- The "Star Wars" live action television show will be done at the pricepoint of 1 million dollars per episode
- The "Star Wars" live action television show will start filming in 2008

(they also think it may feature Quilan Vos)

Click on the link to read the full article:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14125

EPIIIBITES
"will start filming in 2008"???

...aaaargh!!!

Tnx 408

InfiniteDY
*cough*

ahem.

no expression

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f6/t400321.html

DarthBanevv
Nice work. But you should probably have posted in a thread that's already focusing on this subject.

Sith Master X
Wow, 2008. Looks like we've got a ways to go. Oh well, I'd rather they take their time with it and have everything nicely planned out so the series is good.

Blaxican_Hydra
How come everyoen keeps saying vader will be in it? When i went to wonder-con and the GL's boys talked abotu the show they said NO ONE FROM THE PREVIOSU MOVIES WILL BE IN IT. They may appear in the backround as a little hologram thats maybe 3 inches tall or omething, but THATS ABOUT IT.

InfiniteDY
At least I posted in the right forum. no expression

docb77
If there's another thread, how about posting a link?

InfiniteDY
I believe he was referring to this thread which is technically in the wrong forum and is really a thread that has gone off topic from the original comments made.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=396771&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Blaxican_Hydra
How come everyoen keeps saying vader will be in it? When i went to wonder-con and the GL's boys talked abotu the show they said NO ONE FROM THE PREVIOSU MOVIES WILL BE IN IT. They may appear in the backround as a little hologram thats maybe 3 inches tall or omething, but THATS ABOUT IT.

Exactly what I was wondering!

The story I posted from comingsoon.net is supposedly just a compilation of the stuff on theforce.net, and I didn't remember reading anything about major characters.

But yet, there it is in the article:

"The StarWars live action television show will be based on secondary characters with possible cameos by some movie characters."

Hmm.... wonder where they got that, as the article was the first place that I ever heard of that.

(hope its true though!)

Jedi Priestess
Its AICN, they are about as reliable as IMDB. Which is not very. no expression

Jedi Priestess
Bumping this so everything can get merged into one thread, pm'd Ush. smile

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by InfiniteDY
*cough*

ahem.

no expression

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f6/t400321.html

*cough*

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=391954&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1

Ushgarak
Ok, all TV talk in this thread from now on, thanks.

Alliance
BRILLIANT!

<smacks head with a Guiness bottle>

sithsaber408
Its AICN, they are about as reliable as IMDB. Which is not very. no expression

actually it was coming soon.net, supposedly quoting theforce.net.....

Wherin lies my confusion. smile

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>