My computer>Xbox360

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BackFire
I just got a new video card yesterday, a Geforce 7800 GS. And boy, oh boy, is it sweet. My games can run on the highest res, all of them (aside from FEAR) can have AA and AF enabled.

I was playing Call of Duty 2 earlier and it actually looks superior to the Xbox 360 version, which looks damn sweet itself. And it runs like a dream.

Great card, I'd recommend it to everyone.

dave123
My modded XBOX > 360

yes

KENobi™
Originally posted by BackFire
I just got a new video card yesterday, a Geforce 7800 GS. And boy, oh boy, is it sweet. My games can run on the highest res, all of them (aside from FEAR) can have AA and AF enabled.

I was playing Call of Duty 2 earlier and it actually looks superior to the Xbox 360 version, which looks damn sweet itself. And it runs like a dream.

Of course computers are gonna have the headstart on everyone because they are easily upgradeable.

How much did the card cost?

Personally I've never been one to play PC games, I can't get used to the controls.

Ast

But does it have custom faceplates? big grin

Yeah, Im really stretching. stick out tongue

BackFire

KENobi™
Originally posted by Ast
But does it have custom faceplates? big grin

Yeah, Im really stretching. stick out tongue

Actually, yeah you can get PC custom cases. stick out tongue

The card cost around $300.

I don't even know what that is. But it sounds like something I don't care about.

Well see, you spent $300 just on the graphics card, however much for your computer, more hdd, more RAM, possibly a new sound card...it all adds up.

BackFire

KENobi™
As does the numerous accessories for the Xbox 360 that people end up buying.

Plus, the PC monitor is capable of resolutions that no regular TV is. In order to get matching resolutions for the 360 you need to get an HD TV, which costs about 3 times more then my PC cost.

I don't buy accessories for my 360. Just the wireless controls.

That's true, but even on a regular TV the graphics are amazingly beautiful.

Ast
Plus, the PC monitor is capable of resolutions that no regular TV is. In order to get matching resolutions for the 360 you need to get an HD TV, which costs about 3 times more then my PC cost.

Its okay, I already had HDTVs before getting the xbox. stick out tongue

BackFire

JKozzy
My PC > the 360 as well. It does cost more, but you can do so much more too. I have an MSI RX800 card (256 mb vidram, pciexpress x16) and I've been able to run games perfectly on highest res with no slowdown. My PC is my next-gen system.

Refused
Is this the shortest time a console has held the Graphics throne? Oh wait, they never had it to begin with. wink

Avenger2.0
Looks like I'm a winner

SaTsuJiN
pc's own consoles in general.. theres no refuting that big grin

Mišt
I just got a new video card yesterday, a Geforce 7800 GS.

You bastard! Im saving for a 256mb 7800GT, gonna cost like $550, but when Oblivion comes out...pwnage gameplaydroolio

BackFire
You can get a 7800 GT for way less then 550. You talking about the GTX?

KENobi™
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
pc's own consoles in general.. theres no refuting that big grin

It's all a matter of opinion really. Like I said, I've never been able to get control of myself with a mouse and keyboard.

Not to mention games you can't get on PC.

I'm not a console fanboy, but I prefer them because for myself it's easier to pick up and play.

Originally posted by Refused
Is this the shortest time a console has held the Graphics throne? Oh wait, they never had it to begin with. wink

When you're right, you're right, but the 360 still hasn't shown all it can do yet. The current games are running on less than half the potential it can have. PC's will always have better graphics though since they are easily upgradeable.

BackFire
Mouse and Keyboard are factually superior in some games, such as FPS and RTS games. For FPS games they offer a much tighter control of the movement and aiming that isn't possible with console controlers. If you get used to using a Mouse +Keyboard, I garauntee, you will never be able to use a console controller again.

Mouse and Keyboard is even more important for RTS games.

Lana
Personally I tend to have a bit of trouble with mouse control.....just ask Ken, Mist, and Tpt about us trying to play Jedi Academy and my inability to really move or anything because I couldn't get the hang of the controls laughing out loud

KENobi™
Mouse and Keyboard are factually superior in some games, such as FPS and RTS games. For FPS games they offer a much tighter control of the movement and aiming that isn't possible with console controlers. If you get used to using a Mouse +Keyboard, I garauntee, you will never be able to use a console controller again.

Mouse and Keyboard is even more important for RTS games.

I can understand the RTS games, and I see where you're coming from with the FPS, but personally it's not for me.

Even after I bought a high end mouse it would jump around and I'd suddenly be looking at the floor or the ceiling when playing a FPS on my computer. Needless to say I would get killed fast.

Mišt
You can get a 7800 GT for way less then 550. You talking about the GTX?

Different currency, a GTX would cost me $1120, I could buy a new computer for that.Originally posted by Lana
Personally I tend to have a bit of trouble with mouse control.....just ask Ken, Mist, and Tpt about us trying to play Jedi Academy and my inability to really move or anything because I couldn't get the hang of the controls laughing out loud

We should do that again sometime...fond memories of dismemberment and Leia slave skin....love

I dont think I could play CoD2 as well on a 360 as I can with a PC, it takes me way too long to line up for headshots and so on with a control. My mouse jumps around though as well, worst problem for FPS. Counterstrike is a biatch when that happens, its like...5 of them against me, and Ive got them lined up for a headshot...mouse goes spastic and Im looking at the ground, then Im dead banana5

KENobi™

Lana
We really should fire up the multiplayer JKA and take over random servers again stick out tongue that was awesome.

(and yes I will track down that slave Leia skin too stick out tongue)

However, my laptop is VERY spastic when it comes to the mouse, it'll randomly shoot off to various corners of the screen which is incredibly annoying. And no it's not just my mouse, it's the laptop, because it does it with the touchpad, my mouse, and my other mouse (which I broke).

Mišt
Indeed we should shifty

KENobi™
I haven't played since like September since we all last played.

Mišt
Me too laughing out loud I cant remember what my controls are...or who my character is blink Or what my name is for that matter...

Lana
I'll have to find my copy and install it to my laptop.

Mist, didn't you always play as Quinlan?

I remember Ken playing as Spider-Man laughing out loud

Stefan would change his character a lot....

BackFire

Mišt
Have you tried getting a 3D Mark score for your new card? My current card (6600) only got 5000 (3D Mark '03), pretty poor for my needs. It runs all the new games pretty good, but when I crank the detail and everything up to full, I lag.

I thought GS models are newer than GT?blink As long as you dont have to upgrade for a while, an AGP card should run perfectly fine, so I dont think you'd have anything to worry about thumb up

BackFire
My current card gets 13700 on 3d Mark 03.

The GT should get around 15000

Mišt
...holy shit, gotta get me one of thoseshock

MadMel
lol. i wanna get a good graphics card, but its too expensive, especially with my wish list this year.

Red Superfly
I have a GTX.

Kiss my girth.

laughing out loud

Smasandian
My current card gets 13700 on 3d Mark 03.

The GT should get around 15000

15000 is really hard to get. Even companies that specilize in gaming PC's like Alienware and Voodoo cant even get that with their top of the line computer.

Mouse control in FPS's is the only way to go. It reallly shows how good your are without some sort of auto aim. With WASD configuration, you get ultimate control on how you play an FPS. I'm not even including how you can reconfigure the whole setup if you want. Just look at some of the crazy Unreal 2004 guys, they have some crazy setups.

If you have trouble controlling with an mouse, then you seriously have something wrong with the setup.

Red Superfly
Originally posted by Smasandian
15000 is really hard to get. Even companies that specilize in gaming PC's like Alienware and Voodoo cant even get that with their top of the line computer.

Mouse control in FPS's is the only way to go. It reallly shows how good your are without some sort of auto aim. With WASD configuration, you get ultimate control on how you play an FPS. I'm not even including how you can reconfigure the whole setup if you want. Just look at some of the crazy Unreal 2004 guys, they have some crazy setups.

If you have trouble controlling with an mouse, then you seriously have something wrong with the setup.

If someone could make a controller that simulated the greatness that is the keyboard and mouse setup, and bundled it with their console, console FPS's would truly shine as the PC ones do.

Once you get used to a keyboard and mouse setup with FPS's it's hard to go back in my opinion. Only a few games get controller based gameplay right, like Goldeneye, but all too many developers, like EA, simply try to port games from keyboard/mouse gameplay into a controller setup, and the game suffers as a result.

Refused
Originally posted by Red Superfly
If someone could make a controller that simulated the greatness that is the keyboard and mouse setup, and bundled it with their console, console FPS's would truly shine as the PC ones do.

It's called the Nintendo Revolution.

BackFire

My card, overclocked, gets about 14,200 in 03, I know some cards can get over 20,000, like the X1900xtx or and 7800GTX.

15,000 isn't that hard.

Mišt

I rarely use WASD laughing out loud I always set my FPS controls to Left mouse = Shoot, Right mouse = Forwards, then leave AD as strafe and fiddle around with the other buttons, so much easier for me than WASDOriginally posted by BackFire
My card, overclocked, gets about 14,200 in 03, I know some cards can get over 20,000, like the X1900xtx or and 7800GTX.

15,000 isn't that hard.

How do you overclock a video card? Never tried it before..

Smasandian
Just the card or the whole machine?

Also, I think it depends on what version you have.

The reason why I said 15000 is really hard to get is because the brand new PC Gamer issue had a computer with dual core AMD processors overclocked to 2.8 Ghz, and dual 7800 GTX PCI Express cards, and that machine only go 14,756 3DMark05. I'm sorry but if that computer cant get 15000, no computer can. It's a beast of a machine. The guy who does the hardware, the Vede, he has mentioned that it broke the record of the 3dMark test. And that guy tests alot of computers and knows his shit.
So im still thinking 15000 is really hard to get.

EDIT: My bad: I didnt see that you got 14000 on the 03 version. Sorry, my mistake. The computer I mentioned got 36,008 on that version. I wish I had that computer. (for only 6500 american)

BackFire
Oh, yeah 15000 in 3dmark 05 is damn near impossible. If I broke that I'd shit my pants.

Right now I get about 7000 in 05, which is pretty decent.

Also, Mist, overclocking a card is easy. You just have to download a program.

You said you were going to get a 7800GT, right? You can just download the program straight from Nvidia, and it will allow you to overclock it in the video card menu.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=42&p_created=1097082552&p_sid=UGDz*w*h&p_lva=& amp;p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0P
SZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjYmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY
9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfZ
m5sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9b3ZlcmNsb2Nr&p_li=&p_topview=1

Red Superfly
I have a Flux Capacitor built into mine.

It doesn't do anything, because the Flux Capacitor is a fictional piece of equipment.

Interesting bit of trivia, there.

Mišt

You said you were going to get a 7800GT, right? You can just download the program straight from Nvidia, and it will allow you to overclock it in the video card menu.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=42&p_created=1097082552&p_sid=UGDz*w*h&p_lva=& amp;p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0P

Nice and easy then, sweet. How much of a difference did it make for you after you overclocked?

BackFire
It was noticeable. Boosted my FPS by around 15 in most games.

Smasandian
I'm never overclocking my card or CPU unless somebody else does it.
A: my warrently is done if I overclock.
B: my computer is just fine, and I rather live with more fuzzy lines than having my computer overheat and die.

But if you can support it, and its cool down there, it will work.

Mišt
Bump and stuff.

Oh, yeah 15000 in 3dmark 05 is damn near impossible. If I broke that I'd shit my pants.

Right now I get about 7000 in 05, which is pretty decent.

I finally got this program last night, but when I set it to "Test Optimal Overclocking Settings" it started testing, then the screen just went off and the computer froze, so I had to restart. Did it a couple of times to make sure it wasnt just an error, but nope.

I set the manual overclock settings about 50mhz higher than what it was, then restarted and tried to run 3dmark 03 but it got halfway through and stopped for some reason. How high did you overclock your card to safe settings?

BackFire
I have the 7800gs, you have the GT. I don't think the GT overclocks as well as mine, but it's superior anyways, has more pipelines and yours at default speeds is better than mine overclocked, so don't worry.

You can read some reviews online to see how high you can overclock your card.

DarkC

My pee-pee hurts. no expression

Good job, I might need to buy a computer once I can afford it; I really want to play WoW on high res, with no lag.

Mišt
I have the 7800gs, you have the GT. I don't think the GT overclocks as well as mine, but it's superior anyways, has more pipelines and yours at default speeds is better than mine overclocked, so don't worry.

You can read some reviews online to see how high you can overclock your card.

I had a look around today, by default my card came at 450mhz/650mhz, and Ive got it running at 520mhz/720mhz at the moment with no problems or overheating. The site said they overclocked theirs to 565MHz/885MHz...insane. I think they said a GTX came standard at 660mhz/850mhz...so Im slightly under itcool

My 3dmark error said "A 3d score could not be obtained because the 3dmark window lost focus" Any idea what thats about?confused Other than that its running fine.

Dayscribe
Computer>Console, to be honest. I like having my consoles just because I don't have to constantly worry about memory.

crazy_shadow

tweak the video card and i'm sure you can put fear on the highest res. it offers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.