MTV's Unplugged

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Smallville
Why do they not have MTV Unplugged anymore? I mean, I understand that Rap is the most played genre of music now, but there are still rockers in the world, and I really like when bands do acoustic sets. BRING IT BACK!

Victor Von Doom
The problem is, MTV is a corporate station, and many artists of any note wouldn't want to do it.

Smallville
Very true.

Besides, MTV would have to stop airing most of there CelebReality Crap they have on.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Smallville
Very true.

Besides, MTV would have to stop airing most of there CelebReality Crap they have on.

It used to be a great station. Now it's just pop and disposable trends.

Dr. Strangelove
Fuse still has rock oriented shows. Although Fuse is starting to be crap, as well.

Alpha Centauri
Alicia Keys recently did an Unplugged session, it was alright but it didn't have the feeling of shows passed.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
It must be divine providence that brought about the inception of this thread because I just recently got my hands on some old Unplugged CDs! The Nirvana set was the hallmark, but there were some other great sets too: R.E.M. and Live to name two.

I had the misfortune to tune into MTV when I was on holiday recently, and I couldn't believe the amount of crap on it. Admittedly, I wasn't expecting it to be good, but I was just surprised by the utter banality of it all. Stupid adverts made by twenty-somethings with severe cases of ADD, shows about people choosing dates based on someone's bedroom, VJs who I wanted to beat with a stick, and 'bands' with people in their late-twenties singing about crushes on girls in high-school! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
It must be divine providence that brought about the inception of this thread because I just recently got my hands on some old Unplugged CDs! The Nirvana set was the hallmark, but there were some other great sets too: R.E.M. and Live to name two.

Have you heard the AIC session? In my opinion it is better than the Nirvana record.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Not that I know of. I ain't really down with them.

Smallville
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Have you heard the AIC session? In my opinion it is better than the Nirvana record.

Unplugged in New York isn't all that people give it credit for. However, I did like the version of Plateau they did. Best song on the album, in my humble opinion.

OB1-adobe
Why do they not have MTV Unplugged anymore? I mean, I understand that Rap is the most played genre of music now, but there are still rockers in the world, and I really like when bands do acoustic sets. BRING IT BACK!

They won't because:
Playing music or anything related is not their M.O anymore
Vh1 too.
Remember:
Headbangersball
Unplugged
Diary
Making the video
Behind the music
Video music awards
Vh1 music awards

.....and a bizillion specials of bands playing like somewhere in a club or some big event, or watching them in the studio.

If you don't because it got pushed off to make room for:

Made
Celebrity fit club
Date my mom
Flavor of love
Pimp my ride
Laguna Beach
Room Raiders

The closest we get is Cribs, and the surreal life.

I remember when people bitched about rap only being on, now we can't hear one fukcking note

Darth Jello
well, unplugged pretty much topped with cypress hill, paul mccartney, hole, and nirvana. I can't thing of a single band right now who'd i want to hear doing an unplugged set.
If you really wanna hear a fantastic one tho (not an MTV one), i have a link to a website where you can download an amazing set that garbage played unplugged

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Darth Jello
well, unplugged pretty much topped with cypress hill, paul mccartney, hole, and nirvana. I can't thing of a single band right now who'd i want to hear doing an unplugged set.
If you really wanna hear a fantastic one tho (not an MTV one), i have a link to a website where you can download an amazing set that garbage played unplugged

What website?

And Incubus should do an unplugged. Chili peppers should do one. Hell I think Metallica should do one. Be cool if tool did one. U2 should do one. maybe the deftones too. Just because its not plugged in doesn't mean it can't be heavy.

Alpha Centauri
Tool would never do that.

Incubus have more or less done one on their Morning View Sessions DVD.

-AC

mysterio69
pearl jams was good. it was back when eddie was drunkard.drunk

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Audioslave doing an unplugged session would most probably rule the world from a great height. Follow that up with a Damain Marley session, and we're in business.

amity75
Originally posted by mysterio69
pearl jams was good. it was back when eddie was drunkard.drunk I've still got that on VHS and still watch it. Pearl Jam ruled the world back then. Can anyone remember Kiss doing an unplugged show? Jesus. Actually Metallica are the only band I can think of right now who would suit an unplugged show as obviously a lot of their stuff is classical guitar based. Though the Stones would be interesting (If you paid them 90 bzillion dollars each) and Page and Plant would be great to see.

Smallville
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
I remember when people bitched about rap only being on, now we can't hear one fukcking note

Bra-****ing-Vo, my friend. I couldn't put it any better myself.

Koala MeatPie
MTV is nothing but one big huge comemrcial.

Its total sh°t.

Smallville
Yes, it is. And to think... it is MUSIC TELEVISION, and there is no music on it.

RedAlertv2
A Jimmy Eat World unplugged would be cool

furryman
alice in chains unplugged is amazing; quintessential grunge listening.

Darth Jello
garbage's unplugged set at y100- http://garbage.shattereddreams.net/thevault.html

Smallville
Garbage suck. A Jimmy Eat World would be cool. Or Coheed and Cambria, Taking Back Sunday would be awesome too.

el_barto
Originally posted by amity75
I've still got that on VHS and still watch it. Pearl Jam ruled the world back then. Can anyone remember Kiss doing an unplugged show? Jesus.

No, not Jesus, Kiss. KISS

Smallville
Originally posted by el_barto
No, not Jesus, Kiss. KISS

They are hard to differentiate between though.

RedAlertv2
Garbage suck. A Jimmy Eat World would be cool. Or Coheed and Cambria, Taking Back Sunday would be awesome too.

I dont like TBS but your right Coheed and Cambria would be good

Alpha Centauri
Garbage suck but you suggest anything involving Taking Back Sunday would be awesome?

Priorities and talent perception obviously not a strongpoint here.

-AC

Darth Jello
You guys are hilarious. Garbage are the only band in the mainstream that represent traditional punk rock ethics but you'd rather listen to a bunch of sad poser sucks like TBS and Jimmy eat world? christ

Alpha Centauri
Jimmy Eat World are not posers, they're also better than Garbage.

I really like Garbage, but to call them punk rock is stupid. There are no real punk bands left. Punk had a lifespan and it's gone.

-AC

Darth Jello
explain why garbage are not a punk band?

i'll reply after classes

Alpha Centauri
Because they're not a punk band are they? They're just a rock band, with pop elements. What an odd question.

Nothing remotely punk about Garbage. The Sex Pistols, Fear, The Misfits, these were/are punk bands. Garbage are not a punk band.

Not much further we can go.

-AC

Darth Jello
blondie, the go-go's, souixsie and the banshees, the pretenders, and even the B-52's were lumped in as punk at one point or another. You're trying to define punk as a particular sound as opposed to a rock philosophy and approach. You don't have to sound like the Circle Jerks or Black Flag or Minor Threat to be a punk band.

Alpha Centauri
The key there is "lumped in".

Many bands get wrongly lumped in where they don't belong, hence why there are so many problems.

-AC

Smallville
You're trying to define punk as a particular sound as opposed to a rock philosophy and approach.

Wouldn't one reflect the other? I mean, if we aren't defining music by the sound, then couldn't Garth Brooks or Peter Frampton be Punk?

furryman
'punk' is all about the attitude of the circa 70s/80s movement.
see: iggy pop

if not involved in said movement, classification could be seen as 'pop-punk' or 'punk revival'

Alpha Centauri
Every genre born out of time or phase has a lifespan.

Grunge, nu metal etc. It all dies within time. Punk was one of them. Music was the catalyst for a movement. No more movement, no more musical catalyst.

-AC

RedAlertv2
One could argue that punk has been reborn as something new

Smallville
True. Much like there is Nu Metal ( laughing )

Darth Jello
punk's been around since 1958 in one form or another and is still around, if not in the spirit of garbage, in the fact that the misfits, tsol, di, and the adolescents are still releasing albums and touring.

Darth Jello
back on topic, i like the original name but should it still be called unplugged as opposed to "acoustic" or "minimalized" or something? I mean everyone's plugged into an amp anyway and bands like Nirvana even used effects (reverb and chorus).

Smallville
Very valid point.

Makes me think what other truths I have been blind to.

Victor Von Doom
back on topic, i like the original name but should it still be called unplugged as opposed to "acoustic" or "minimalized" or something? I mean everyone's plugged into an amp anyway and bands like Nirvana even used effects (reverb and chorus).

It sounds good I guess. Maybe they could call it 'Bare'.

Or...just take the M out of the station name and be done with it.

Smallville
MTV sucks.

They fell into a trap of commercialization and lost sight of music.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.