Official Boxing Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dean7879
ok im really starting to enjoy boxing of late
eastman vs hopkins...any predictions?
should lennox come out of retirement?

Shaolin Monk
hopkins/eastman fight was horrible...hopkins reminded me of a UFC fighter that only has wrestling skills...he did JUST enough to win against an opponent that was an extreme underdog. But still, that was his 20th title defense, and that is mind boggling.

I'm lookin forward to Manny Pacquiao (or however you spell his last name) against Erik Morales on March 16th. I hope Pacquiao whoops his ass, I've never liked Morales.

Next weekend Cotto fights, been watchin him since his early Friday Night Fights days.

I have mixed feelings about Lennox coming out of retirement. There is no good heavyweight...period! Toney is a b!tch, John Ruiz is a low blowing whiner, Chris Byrd has limited skills, Vladimir Klitscko has no chin, Vitali Klitscko has heavy hands but he's shown many weaknesses in his last 2 fights, Golatta is an infamous "cheater", it goes on and on. I would like to see Lennox Lewis beat Vitali again though.

dean7879
i wanna know whast happened to prince nassem hamed..he was a skilled fighter

Shaolin Monk
awwwwwww dean, don't talk about him! lol....I never could stand that guy. We have "boxing parties" (I think I mentioned that in another thread) every time its on HBO/Pay-Per-View (as well as UFC), and we always have these hispanics over. They watch the spanish boxing channel, and keep us informed on whats going on with hispanic fighters. They've heard different things about Prince. Things like "he is in trouble with the law again" and "he's giving up boxing to become a trainer"....but I dunno what's true and what's not.

I never liked Prince because he was waaaaaay too arrogant. If he wouldn't have thought so highly of himself, he coulda been a brilliant fighter. I hated when he came down to the ring on a swing. I wanted to shoot him off lol

RZA
Hamed was cool, he was my favorite fighter back in the days. I know he was very arrogant and I can understand why some people hated him but he did back it up a lot, I luv how he would knock out people with just one punch and those crazy leaping uppercuts, man nobody could do that. He won almost all of his fights by knockout....I mean c'mon, luv em or hate you gotta give the guy some credit and to have that kind of power in that weight class was unthinkable before he came along. He made that feather weight division exciting again. I still remember that fight he had with Kevin Kelley, man that was a classic. He was funny too...I like when he use to say 'They all want to get knocked out'.. laughing out loud
You notice how he mysteriously disappeared right after all this terrorism crap started...hmm...wonder if that had something to do with it.

As far as Lennox returning, why? He already showed us the best he had to offer. He got old in that fight against Vitali and he knew it. Is he gonna show us anything different now after two years away from the ring? I don't think so.

I love that Roy jones finally got knocked out and twice too. Talk about someone who was arrogant and talked a lot of crap. I luv how he would always refer to himself in the third person, 'Roy Jones don't lose to nobody', 'Roy Jones is undefeated', 'Roy Jones is the best of all time'...lol...yeah and Roy Jones also never fought anybody that's why. Even after he got knocked out by Tarver he still kept talkin crap, 'Oh it was a lucky punch, Roy Jones still the best ever' then Glenn Johnson finally shut him up for good. boxing

Btw, whatever happened with David Tua?

Morning_Glory
boxing

Shaolin Monk
Nice title you got there lol

David Tua is SUPPOSEDLY fighting in "other countries". Larry Merchant said something about it that night in October when there were 4 heavyweight fights. He didn't say any specific country, he just said "Tua is off fighting in other countries to gain back his confidence".

RZA
lol...yeah I guess great minds think alike huh? and wait till you see my new sig, if I ever get it finished... sad Our interpretations of what Shaolin means in this case might be a bit different tho.

I guess Tua must be in the far east training like me big grin . Come back Tuaman we need you!

Joker1237
I think VK is a ok fighter, there is no one out there that can relly BEAT VK.

I execpt Vk to beat Rahman in April.

IF he beats Ruiz and Byrd, than VK has proven in my eyes that he is the true champion. But thsos fights wont happen in a few years.

I think of this like the Rocky Marciano period. Now Rocky was a good fighter, retired undfeated at 49-0. But he was a flaw slugger, BUT there was no one in his TIME that could have beaten Marciano.

Patterson has not proved himself yet, Liston was a good 5 years a way from making the rankings. So Rocky retire on top with no one in the title pic. MArciano did not just beat the divison, he destory it, and when Poor Patterson became champ, there was hardly any one left for him to fight.

finti
Tua just won his comback match(first match in 2 years) with a 10th round stopage of Talmadge Griffis. It was a poor performance on Tuas part, he was very ring rusty.
I would like to see him up agains Lamon Brewster, Samuel Peter or a reamtch with Chris Byrd

Patterson gopt his ass whooped by Ingemar Johanson

Joker1237
Well he did Johanson did not come up up until 1958, got the shot in 59. But Ingo is a vyer underrated fighter, a great right hand, Just for a few years after Rocky retire, There was relly no one out there for Patterson to prove himself. Ingo came in 58, and of couse Liston flatten Patterson in the early 60's.

fruits
im related to jack dempsey

Joker1237
ThaT IS GREAT, Do you know there are 2 Jack Dempsey's in boxing?

The first one was middle weight champ in the 1890's and of couse the GREAT heavyweight champ Jack Dempsey.

Did you see any of his fights on film?? I have a bunch of his fights, most complete

Only fights that are not complete are Dempsey Tunney 1 and the Dempsey Sharkey fight.

forumcrew
i dont know a lot about boxing... but do you think tyson has a chance?

Joker1237
Nope he is shot. 39 years old. Asking Tyson to regain the title at 39 is asking for Louis to beat Marciano at the same age, or Ail to beat Holmes at 39.

As it turn out, both Louis and Ail got there BUTTS handed to them, and badly.

T.M
once again i got beaten to a thread by dean lol

i havent really watched much boxing only the British fighters really hitman, calzaghe ect

i really like boxing though nothing better than 2 guys beating the shit outta each other big grin

what u think about calzaghe going up a weight u think he could cut it at the higher levels ??

personally i think he could.

jaden101

AdventChild
I wonder why the Martial Arts thread has more posts than this thread has...

kyllacam
Ali waz da best he would dance around then sting his oppenets face with lighting fast hands and would then tire his enemy out then wail on his face and stomach and yes he waz little cocky but he backed up every word of it and his stamina is among one of the best

AdventChild
Originally posted by kyllacam
Ali waz da best he would dance around then sting his oppenets face with lighting fast hands and would then tire his enemy out then wail on his face and stomach and yes he waz little cocky but he backed up every word of it and his stamina is among one of the best
Can any one say "Too much Credit!"

"Ali was the best, he would run away avoiding to get hit and then sucker punch his opponent when his opponent was off guard and eventually tired em out...That's what i saw in ur post.....

No, he didn't back up everyword..that's why he lost several matches...

kyllacam
its not called runnin away its called tactics u cant just get in there and swing i meen u can but that shows that u have no skill u just weigh alot and can hit hard but ali did tire out his opponet and im sorry if u dont feel tha same way but i feel like ali is to this day tha greatest sorry

AdventChild
Ali is better than Tyson ever was and ever will be...I give him that..And he would be Bruce Lee as well....

Joker1237
only one guy retire and stay retire unbeaten, and That is Rocky Marciano

Bicnarok
Boxing has become a joke. Too many belts, too much money influence, and especially the heavyweight division, which has old fat slobs fighting fighting for titles so the champs gets an easy win, dunno why anyone would pay to watch such crap.

I used to be a huge fan, but since Tyson, Hahmed, Hearns and others have left the scene its become rather pathetic.

finti
what you count the matches when he was way over the hill. Ali lost to Frazier and Norton, after 1976 the Ali we knew was gone, he was ring tired and finished as a top rated boxer. Leon Spinks who wouldnt have beaten him of the then top 10 heavyweights, he met Ali after just 8 professional fights and that he won says more about the condition of Ali than anything else. Larry Holmes and Trevor Berbrick well Holmes was as good as any at that time Berbrick though nah.
Ali was washed up by 1976 and should have ended it right there, to have lost to such opponents as Frazier and Norton well the three year lay off didnt do Ali no good yet at least he lost to some excellent and though as they come fighters.

With this said boxing has indeed become a joke, a world champion aint no world champion any more unless it is undisputed, and that would say how many belts???

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by RZA
Hamed was cool, he was my favorite fighter back in the days. I know he was very arrogant and I can understand why some people hated him but he did back it up a lot, I luv how he would knock out people with just one punch and those crazy leaping uppercuts, man nobody could do that. He won almost all of his fights by knockout....I mean c'mon, luv em or hate you gotta give the guy some credit and to have that kind of power in that weight class was unthinkable before he came along. He made that feather weight division exciting again. I still remember that fight he had with Kevin Kelley, man that was a classic. He was funny too...I like when he use to say 'They all want to get knocked out'.. laughing out loud
You notice how he mysteriously disappeared right after all this terrorism crap started...hmm...wonder if that had something to do with it.

What happened to him...? Barrera happened to him.

He got caught in a fight with a Mexican who was tough as nails as a fighter, and was a great boxer too....
Hamed was exposed as a loud mouth, chinny braggard who had totally leaky defence and a big punch and was not considered a draw after that incident that shattered him...

Hamed had built up a career of KOs against guys who were over the hill or not-yet-at-the-hill in the experience stakes...

Yup the Kelley fight was a classic... Early warning signs for Hamed fighting an aging boxer who didn't buy into the intimidation before the bout and knew what to look for in the gaps in Hameds "Defense" and timed his shots well to expose them/capitalise on them...

The Muslim thing post 9/11 may have been a tiny bit of it, after even Ali went into hiding for a while after that, but there are STILL plenty of fighters who proudly show off their Muslim faith to interviewers...

Bicnarok
Barrera fought an off form Hahmed, otherwise he would have been down in 2

wuTa
every since boxers have advertise goldenpalace.com on there back, and shit like that....boxing has gone to shit

kyllacam
true true

finti
Hahmed was too much show and too little boxing in his last fights, his arrogance lost him the fight Barrera and if Hammed came to the fight off form it just emphasize his arrogance

jaden101
so Amir Khan won again...5th pro fight...won inside the 1st round

Df02
even better though... Graham Earl (from Luton, woo) beat Romanov, an international rated lightweight

finti
Luton huh go hatters!!!!!!
Amir Khan really impressed me in the olympics, if he has the right people around him as a pro this guy will reach far

Cosmo Kramer
Who would win this fight of the eras?

koolruningz
Ali. Way more skillful and was incredibly accurate with his punches, after 6 or 7 rounds Rocky wouldnt even be able to see. Rocky could take a beating and was one of the most durable, but Ali could take punishment to (he took all Foreman had and he was a very hard puncher) and fought for 11 rounds against Kenny Norton with a broken jaw. I would say the fight would either be stopped due to Rocky being too mashed up or Ali would knock him out late in the fight.
It would be great to see heavyweights fight again instead of the way they just hug for 12 rounds nowadays or hit the deck as soon as a decent punch is thrown.

Cosmo Kramer
I heard they were filming a movie together and Rocky hit him in the gut and Ali demanded more money.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by dean7879
ok im really starting to enjoy boxing of late
eastman vs hopkins...any predictions?
should lennox come out of retirement?

Finally. A boxing thread smile

Cosmo Kramer
Yeah it is!

jaden101
i thought someone would've mentioned the joe calzahge vs jeff lacy fight from last night...absolutely fantastic...calzaghe was outstanding the entire fight despite being the considered the underdog...it was generally thought that this would be the fight that calzahge would hand the baton over to lacy to be the next dominating champion of super middle weight...instead calzahge took him apart in every round

credit where credit is due though...i haven't seen a fighter take that much of a beating and either be knocked out or have the fight stopped...lacy only went down once in the last round but he could barely see as both eyes were badly cut

credit also has to be given to the ref who understood fully the importance of the unification title fight and thus gave lacy every opportunity by not stopping the fight

points were 119-107, 119-107, 119-105 to calzahge

best fight i've seen in quite a few years

forumcrew
years? it was a one sided fight so I dont know that it can be considered that great of a fight. It was fun to see though. You see Cotto destroy Branco? Cotto just couldnt be stoped that fight, and he fought much smarter than some previous ones, not getting as wild once ahead. Its also a shame Vargas's eye was so F'd up b/c I think he could have beat mosely, mosely was not that impressive looking.

Ex11B
Whos next for Cotto?

forumcrew
he wants to fight hatton or mayweather... not sure if that will happen or not though. I think Hatton and mayweather should have a unification fight, and then let Cotto have 1 more prep fight and if he does great again, give him a title shot at the unified belt vs the hatton mayweather winner. Doesnt that sound fun?

T.M
Originally posted by jaden101
i thought someone would've mentioned the joe calzahge vs jeff lacy fight from last night...absolutely fantastic...calzaghe was outstanding the entire fight despite being the considered the underdog...it was generally thought that this would be the fight that calzahge would hand the baton over to lacy to be the next dominating champion of super middle weight...instead calzahge took him apart in every round

credit where credit is due though...i haven't seen a fighter take that much of a beating and either be knocked out or have the fight stopped...lacy only went down once in the last round but he could barely see as both eyes were badly cut

credit also has to be given to the ref who understood fully the importance of the unification title fight and thus gave lacy every opportunity by not stopping the fight

Calzaghe out boxed, out fought out everything... he was better than Lacy in every department. That was the best I have seen Calzaghe for some time. just goes to show what he can do when both his hands are healthy.

Lord Shadow Z

I had to watch the re-run on the morning because I fell asleep during the second warm-up fight but...yeah... Calzaghe just took him apart for 12 rounds and Lacy was billed as quite a good fighter back home.

That was actually the first time I'd seen Calzaghe fight, I'd seen the Williams-Skelton fight also a week ago and that was terrific.

forumcrew
no suprise mayweather took it to judah and somewhat dominated him. The punch totals were sad for judah. The fact that Judah tried to cheat in the 10th is just pathetic as well. For those of you who dont know, byu the 10th the fight was about over unless judah could knock out mayweather. So judah punched him in the balls and then when he kealed over form the obvious low blow he hit him in the back of the head as the ref tried to protect him. then a small riot happened with trainers and other people flooding the ring in a mini brawl.

Deano
can someone give me the names of the top boxers in each division please?
im curuious

forumcrew
man I think Rocky Juarez deserved a victory last night but im very happy he didnt get a loss, a draw is a fiar decision i suppose but i really think he did a great job against an amazing fighter.

forumcrew
Originally posted by Deano
can someone give me the names of the top boxers in each division please?
im curuious

Heavyweights: Truth is this division is garbage. Wladimir Klitschko (46-3) is the best in it right now but that doesnt say a lot.
Hasim Rahman (41-5-2)
James Toney (69-4-3)
Chris Byrd (39-3-1)
are some other top heavyweights

Light Heavy:
Antonio Tarver (24-3) hes one of the best fighters in the world period
truthfully theres no real competition for him from guys who fight at light heavy regularly, but a lot of guys move around weight classes and Tarver is one of them. So im going to throw out some guys between middle weight, supper middle, and light heavy:

Roy Jones Jr. (49-4)
Jermain Taylor (25-0) (absolute BEAST)
Winky Wright (50-3)
Bernard Hopkins (46-4-1)

The next 2 are both at supper middle and while are both good, are not in the same league as the guys above:
Joe Calzaghe (41-0)
Jeff Lacy (21-1)

Junior Middle:
Oscar De La Hoya (38-4) (he can fight at higher or lower weight as well)
Roman Karmazin (34-1-1)
Shane Mosley (42-4)
Fernando Vargas (26-3)

Welterweight:
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (36-0) (heavily considered the best fighter in the world -- himself taylor and tarver are the top 3 id say)
Arturo "Thunder" Gatti (40-7)
Carlos Baldomir (42-9-6)
Antonio Margarito (33-4)
Luis Collazo (26-1)
Zab Judah (34-4)

Junior welterweight:
Ricky Hatton (41-0) (hes one of my favorite fighters around right now 30 wins by KO)
Miguel Cotto (26-0)
Kostya Tszyu (31-2)

Lightweight:
Jose Luis Castillo (54-7-1)
Diego "Chico" Corrales (40-3)
Acelino "Popo" Freitas (38-1)
Jesus Chavez (43-3) (serius injury may knock him out of these discsuions unfortunatly)
Juan Diaz (29-0)

JUNIOR LIGHTWEIGHTS:
Manny Pacquiao (41-3-2)
Marco Antonio Barrera (61-4)
Erik Morales (48-4)
Rocky Juarez (25-2-0) (should be either (26-1-0) or (25-1-1) but he was screwed over last night)

Thats as low as im going because the competition starts to fall off when you get into guys weighing 120 and less.

The best talent is by far in the lower weights as far as the most competition. Also a lot of these guys move up and down to make for great fights they are not stuck in just a single weight class.

Hope that helps!

Deano
nice one! you know your stuff.

ive started to get into boxing again, i agree juarez got screwed over.

Thanos_6383
Good Thread

forumcrew
HUGE fight tonight. "The Magic Man" Tarver is taking on "The Executioner" Bernard Hopkins tonight in Atlantic City. This fight is a giant one for both of their careers, as it is supposed to be B-hops last fight ever, and Tarver still has a lot left to do, but this would be a nice add on to the resume.

forumcrew
-edit im not sure why i said tarver has a lot left to do, but he certainly isnt done after this fight, but he is getting up there with B-Hop there has been some talk about him going after a heavyweight title, mainly if someone (klitchko) could unify the division.

forumcrew
wow so far its Hopkins 30 Tarver 27, and Bhop is really making him move and work, I think hes banking on Tarvers body giving out on him because of all the weight change hes had to go through.

live updates:

Round 5! Tarver goes down -- well sorta. His glove hit the mat ref rulled it a knockdown, hop gets 10-8

6: another solid round for Bhop

7: save as 6, crowd heavily for Bhop i dont think i mentioned that.
Unofficial scorecard
Tarver: 9, 9, 9, 10, 8, 9, 9
Hopkins: 10, 10, 10, 9, 10, 10, 10

forumcrew
well Tarver looked awfull, the weight loss maybe?

Scores are 118-109, 118-109 and 118-109

all for the winner and NEW light heavyweight champion of the world, Bernard Hopkins

Deano
hatton will be fighting mayweather soon it appears

forumcrew
i think hatton is in trouble. Hes gonna have to catch mayweather with some really hard shots early to slow him down. I dont think hatton can ever win it in a decision.

Deano
he'll go for the body as much as possible. should be a great fight though

forumcrew
how official is this? I thought mayweather and the golden boy were gonna fight next for a massive pay day.

Mattomic
Ooooooh, I gotta give the edge to Mayweather, and i'm English

I just think he's technically better and has the tools to beat Hatton, Hatton is an ugly fighter, just tries to slug out wins which is a good tactic, but when you get in the wrong with a guy as talented and as evasive as Mayweather, it only serves as detrimental to Hatton's style

forumcrew
yea im a fan of hattons as well.. just think this is a terrible fight for him.

Mattomic
Joe Calzaghe vs. Bernard Hopkins is in the pipeline apparently, both parties have expressed interest in making it happen, but if Joe performs the way he did the other night, he'll be going for an early shower

RZA
^
That should be a good fight, if the 'pride of Wales' shows up to fight the way he did against Lacey. He didn't look too impressive in his last fight against Saiko 'The Scorpion' Bika. <- Btw, that has to be one of the coolest names ever. He'll prob get more fights on that alone.

Btw, with all this talk about Mayweather, let's not get a head of ourselves and forget that he still has to take care of business at hand and that's Carlos Baldomir. And where's the Castillo rematch?

Also, what ever happened to Kostya Zsu and for that matter Naseem Hamed?

forumcrew
Mayweather easily beat baldormir. And now he is gonna do 1 more fight and then retire! It better be him vs De La Hoya.. and if not at least Cotto or Hatton. But I wanna see mayweather vs De La Hoya with Cotto vs Hatton that same night.. what a great night of fighting that would be.

Also Peter Manfredo from the contendor MIGHT be fighting Roy Jones.. that would be the worst idea for jones cause it means nothing if he wins and is devistating if he loses.

Bicnarok

forumcrew
the heavyweight division is terrible. an outsider could be tricked into thinking klitchko is a good fighter.

Bicnarok
Where are all the top US heavyweights gone? too busy plying american football eh, more money less pain, better looks and no brain damage?

botankus
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Where are all the top US heavyweights gone? too busy plying american football eh, more money less pain

Yeah. Too bad they never chose soccer, for I think the toe stubs and shin splints scared them off. I guess they just had to settle for the head concussions, torn ACL's, broken limbs, dislocated shoulders, cracked ribs, and momentary paralyses.

forumcrew
there are plenty of great boxers... simply at lower weights.

Deano
Originally posted by botankus
Yeah. Too bad they never chose soccer, for I think the toe stubs and shin splints scared them off. I guess they just had to settle for the head concussions, torn ACL's, broken limbs, dislocated shoulders, cracked ribs, and momentary paralyses.

well soccer is the best sport in the world....

Deano
good win for harrison tonight. fully deserved

chris_64256
Originally posted by Deano
well soccer is the best sport in the world.... shit

gabrielangel
Has anyone else noticed that Professional boxers today drop their left hand more than ever before.

forumcrew
Originally posted by teampac08
Nah, there's room for debate on that. Pound for pound list changes often. And while Mayweather is perhaps the most talented boxer right now, he hasnt proved his greatness recently. He hasnt fought as great a schedule as let's say Pacquiao or Wright. When people put someone like Pacquiao over Mayweather, it's because Pacquiao's fought harder opposition and has been successful at it.

moving the convo over here.

I dont see how you could say mayweather has fought easier competition recently. Mayweather has taken on gotti, judah and baldomir within the last 2 years. And oh yea hes never lost. Not saying being undefeated makes you the best, but winning just under 90% of your fights (Pacquiao) does hurt your chances at being #1 (to me)

Really for me above everything else it just comes down to how freaking smart and talented he is. He could win without ever knocking anyone out, and the only way he is gonna lose a fight is because of the punchers chance. No one is gonna beat him in a decision because he has the best technical skills far above and beyond the level of anyone else.

Oh and hes still very tough. Judah nailed him with a low blow and followed it directly with a blow to the back of the head and mayweather still didnt go down. Also after this he stayed smart, stayed defensive and finished the fight with an easy win. A lot of fighters are too dumb and lack control and go get into brawls in these situations which always leaves that opening that you could go down and shortens your career taking un needed blows.

I didnt buy into all the mayweather hype at first, especially because he isnt always the most exciting fighter to watch. But Ive now seen the majority of his fights and its just mezmerizing watching him work.

teampac08
Originally posted by forumcrew
moving the convo over here.

I dont see how you could say mayweather has fought easier competition recently. Mayweather has taken on gotti, judah and baldomir within the last 2 years. And oh yea hes never lost. Not saying being undefeated makes you the best, but winning just under 90% of your fights (Pacquiao) does hurt your chances at being #1 (to me)

Really for me above everything else it just comes down to how freaking smart and talented he is. He could win without ever knocking anyone out, and the only way he is gonna lose a fight is because of the punchers chance. No one is gonna beat him in a decision because he has the best technical skills far above and beyond the level of anyone else.

Oh and hes still very tough. Judah nailed him with a low blow and followed it directly with a blow to the back of the head and mayweather still didnt go down. Also after this he stayed smart, stayed defensive and finished the fight with an easy win. A lot of fighters are too dumb and lack control and go get into brawls in these situations which always leaves that opening that you could go down and shortens your career taking un needed blows.

I didnt buy into all the mayweather hype at first, especially because he isnt always the most exciting fighter to watch. But Ive now seen the majority of his fights and its just mezmerizing watching him work.

You cant compare Gatti, Judah, and Baldomir to Barrera, Morales,and Marquez. Gatti is exciting to watch but he's not very talented and has always lost the bigger fights of his career. Judah has talent, but always lacked focus. Baldomir beat an overrated Gatti and Judah. Barrera, Morales, and Marquez are all hall of fame worthy fighters. Pacquiao has destroyed Barrera by tko, Morales was knocked out twice, and even the judge who scored a decision in favor of a draw knew that Marquez shouldve lost by a point to Pac. Yes talent is important in the pound for pound list, but so is competition. As of these past few years Mayweather's competition is no where near the level of Pacquiao's. Pac lacks skill, but posseses an unreal amount of speed and power for his size. Not to mention his relentless attack and pace more than makes up for his lack of boxing skills.

forumcrew
I wish Mayweather would not retire. I would like to see cotto and hatton fight for the right to fight mayweather after he fights oscar de la hoya. Hell id like to see cotto and hatton fight anyway.

teampac08
I wish Mayweather would not retire. I would like to see cotto and hatton fight for the right to fight mayweather after he fights oscar de la hoya. Hell id like to see cotto and hatton fight anyway.

This is what I was thinking too. Instead of fighting overrated boxers like Gatti, Judah, and Baldomir he should have went against better boxers like Cotto, Margarito, Hatton, and even Williams. That wouldve solidified his ranking in the pound for pound list even more. Cotto vs Hatton would be a great fight, I'd give it to Cotto though because he's naturally the bigger fighter. Hatton has a chance if they fought at a lower catch weight. Cant wait for Hatton vs Castillo though.

teampac08
By the way, who's going for who in the Hopkins vs Wright fight. I have this gut feeling that Wright's going to win.

forumcrew
I would go with wright also. Has there been any talk of wright and taylor having a rematch after the draw?

teampac08
I would go with wright also. Has there been any talk of wright and taylor having a rematch after the draw?

Been talks but an agreement on both sides has never fully materialized.
Wright shouldve won that match, but I expect Taylor to get it next time. He was hurting Wright with his punches but his biggest mistake in that fight was getting stuck in the ropes too often. That gave Wright the opportunity to hurt him.

jaden101
i'm looking forward to the big fight this weekend

Joe Calzaghe v Peter Manfredo Jnr

personally i think Calzaghe will destroy him...if he battered Jeff Lacy senseless for 12 rounds then he'll wipe the floor with Manfredo.

teampac08
i'm looking forward to the big fight this weekend

Joe Calzaghe v Peter Manfredo Jnr

personally i think Calzaghe will destroy him...if he battered Jeff Lacy senseless for 12 rounds then he'll wipe the floor with Manfredo.

No offense to Calzaghe fans, but I dont know why this guy is so popular. His claim to fame was beating Lacy, who didnt beat other great fighters to prove himself good. Calzaghe's undefeated but until he beats Kessler, whos the second best fighter in the supermiddleweight division, I dont seem as that good or special.

forumcrew
You gotta give anyone respect who holds a title for around 10 years defending it what 15 or more times? There should be a unification fight with kesseler though. I wouldnt give Peter much of a chance but he did beat Scott Pemberton easily at least.

forumcrew
what a bad fight. They are getting way too protective, the ref stepped in sooooo early. Manfredo was in no way hurt most of the blows were not landing. Blah had watching something so boring. The result was gonna be the same eventually but you gotta give manfredo a chance. He didnt have to win that fight to improve his standing he just had to put up a fight and they didnt even let him try.

Dr. Strangelove
That ref was an idiot. He got totally caught up in the crowd. Not that Manfredo would've done anything but as forumcrew said, most of Calz's shots weren't even landing.

teampac08
Pacquiao vs Solis soon!!! Cant wait for Pacquiao to rip into this guy. If this guy survives 12 full rounds with a focused and trying Pacquiao, and he gives him legit competition then major props to Solis. Highly doubt it though. cool

jaden101
what a bad fight. They are getting way too protective, the ref stepped in sooooo early. Manfredo was in no way hurt most of the blows were not landing. Blah had watching something so boring. The result was gonna be the same eventually but you gotta give manfredo a chance. He didnt have to win that fight to improve his standing he just had to put up a fight and they didnt even let him try.

yeah...definitely stopped FAR too early...but the fact the the bookies were giving odds of a calzaghe win at 50-1 on, then it seemed like it was going to be a foregone conclusion

if he can defend his title another 6 times he will be the longest reigning champion of any weight division EVER...currently he's defended his title 20 times...Kesslers record, while undefeaated, is hardly lined with opponents of the calibre of Jeff Lacy and Chris Eubank, as calzaghe's is

although yes...it would be a great fight...and if calzaghe is going to sight him he needs to do it soon cause he is getting on a bit and age might start becoming a factor

T.M
You gotta give anyone respect who holds a title for around 10 years defending it what 15 or more times? There should be a unification fight with kesseler though. I wouldnt give Peter much of a chance but he did beat Scott Pemberton easily at least.

That was his 20th title defense.

forumcrew
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2829904

looks like kessler vs calzaghe isnt happening and it also sounds to me like calzaghe will be done at 20.

From the article:
Warren will instead fax rival promoter Lou DiBella with a $3 million offer for middleweight super champion Jermain Taylor to step up and fight Calzaghe in July -- unless Kessler has a change of heart.

"Let's see if Mogens Palle has a rethink or whether Jermain Taylor will take it and is really serious about fighting Joe," said Warren.

Bernard Hopkins fights Winky Wright in July and the winner could be another option for Calzaghe.

If he moves up or down from the weak 168 division to fight the real competition I think hes gonna get killed. Especially if he fights one of the best fighters in the world in Taylor.

Friedmeyer22
The one boxer i love to watch is Antonio Tarver

forumcrew
Man i was embarrassed for Tarver after the Hopkins fight. I guess in a couple weeks we will see if Rocky was to blame at all or if Tarver is just too old at this point.

Friedmeyer22
ya bcuz he got dominated by Hopkins

teampac08

Until he fights somewhere out of Europe and takes on better competition then I still dont think he's that great. Same with Hopkins, didnt give him that much respect until his competition became harder towards the later stages of his career. He took on Taylor twice, fought Tarver, and is now taking on Wright. That's not an easy list of opponents at all.

jaden101
Until he fights somewhere out of Europe and takes on better competition then I still dont think he's that great. Same with Hopkins, didnt give him that much respect until his competition became harder towards the later stages of his career. He took on Taylor twice, fought Tarver, and is now taking on Wright. That's not an easy list of opponents at all.

the entire american press were touting Jeff Lacy as the next great super middleweight champion...even the UK press and pundits all said that the fight was to be where one great champion bows out and another takes over

calzaghe beat him stupid for 12 rounds...won EVERY round and made him look amatuerish...then the US press claimed that Lacy was overrated to begin with.

Ashira had only lost once until he fought calzaghe
bika had only lost once
veit had only lost once
Lacy hadn't been beaten

forumcrew
the fact is in the 168 pound division your not gonna fight a lot of hard competition its a BS division.

teampac08
All I ask is for him to fight Kessler. Those two need each other to solidify their careers.

forumcrew
cotto is fighting judah... cotto is gonna cream him

Kuchiki
Anyone watching the Pacquiao vs Solis match?

forumcrew
Calzaghe wants to fight taylor... and he is willing to do in in the usa.. hes gonna get creamed.

jaden101
Calzaghe wants to fight taylor... and he is willing to do in in the usa.. hes gonna get creamed.

laughing laughing

Bigga Nigga420
Rocky vs Mike T?

forumcrew
Please say your talking about Marciano

Bigga Nigga420
Lets look back at Roy Jones history because you all musta forgot
Hit habath with 4 hooks at one time,beat Hopkins with a hert hand,do you remember the left hook that tony got,stopped Frazer with a body shot,he got DQ after giving a whooping to griffin..then rematch and 1st round 1 punch he sat down,and you guys have the nerve to say he hasn't fought no buddy but he just makes them look like no buddys....talasko got beat with a broken rist!beat jonson for the title!

jaden101
Originally posted by Bigga Nigga420
Hit habath with 4 hooks at one time,beat Hopkins with a hert hand,do you remember the left hook that tony got,stopped Frazer with a body shot,he got DQ after giving a whooping to griffin..then rematch and 1st round 1 punch he sat down,and you guys have the nerve to say he hasn't fought no buddy but he just makes them look like no buddys....talasko got beat with a broken rist!beat jonson for the title!

lets look at his last 4 fights...he lost 3 of them...the end

teampac08
Originally posted by Bigga Nigga420

I dont think anyone should argue about Roy Jones' talent. He was unbelievably quick and had some of the sharpest reflexes that boxing has ever seen. If you're still arguing that he has a chance against Ali, however, you should stop. Ali is a natural heavyweight. He'd overpower Roy Jones Jr.

Bicnarok

Lord Evolution
I got Mayweather over De la Hoya.

jaden101
Originally posted by Bicnarok
I see that massive monsterous russian Valeuv has lost his title, to another russian.

Uzbekistani (if that's the correct term) but close enough...he also fights out of Germany...Ruslan Chagaev...pretty decent fighter...he beat sprott (who knocked out Audley Harrison)..also Ruiz and then Valuev

keep an eye on roman greenberg...seems to be one of the few heavyweights with any potential at the moment...

although he's not US...infact he doesn't know what he is...Russian...Israeli...British...bit of everything...

Angelo Dundee says that "Greenberg has the fastest hands for a heavyweight since Muhammad Ali."

and Dundee should know...he was Ali's trainer

forumcrew
heavyweight division is a complete joke right now.

Wladimir Klitschko is considered the top guy though. The circus act that was Valeuv was interesting but he was just too slow and unskilled to be any good.

Who knows maybe Tommy Morrison will be the savior of the heavyweight division. (100% joking just to be 100% clear)

Deathstroke
Is anyone else watching the Contender tournament on espn?

forumcrew
ive watched it a little. Gomez was the only one ive seen start to finish so far because I liked him on season 1 (never watched season 2). Was glad to see him dominate.

Bicnarok

Arctic
Mayweather won but yet again didn't deserve it. I dislike him a lot. Oscar should have won. Im disappointed.

jaden101
never saw it because it was on at about 5 am over here but from what i saw on the tv this morning it looked a good fight

a split points decision is never going to be a line drawn under their rivalry though

Bicnarok

jaden101

forumcrew

teampac08
Mayweather Jr. won the fight, but not the interest of the casual sports fan. This isnt the kind of fight that would bring in new fans, and only hardcore boxing fans would understand his fighting style. A casual fan or even most boxing fans want to see a brawl, but as a fighter one would want to possess Mayweather's ability to punch without getting hit back. It's a shame boxing's image relied heavily on this fight, but that's what happens when the heavyweight division is extremely weak and the sport's best fighters are in the lower divisions and come from foreign countries. Meaning that someone like Pacquiao or Rafael Marquez would never receive the overall popularity or attention they deserve.

Healing Artisan
the fight was great, but Lampley is a ****ing idiot.

Jim Lampley: "MMA is entertaining. The kind of talent you saw in the ring tonight...nothing in MMA is within light-years of anything you saw from Mayweather and De La Hoya tonight."

Caps Conscience
Alot I mean alot of Mayweathers punches where coming off of DLHs gloves. He should have lost that fight, but I'm not upset about the decision. I can see why the judges gave him the win.

Caps Conscience
Whats funny is that a week later in the Taylor Vs Spinx fight, you had Taylor fighting the same fight DLH fought and Spinx fighting the same fight PBF fought except to me Spinx was more effective, yet the outcome was completely different. Go figure.

Caps Conscience

forumcrew
Originally posted by Caps Conscience
Alot I mean alot of Mayweathers punches where coming off of DLHs gloves. He should have lost that fight, but I'm not upset about the decision. I can see why the judges gave him the win.

Mayweather landed by far the larger quantity of clean shots. He also landed more power shots. He also deflected most of Oscar's blows with his arms. Is he the most exciting to watch? Nope but hes the best.

Caps Conscience
Mayweather landed by far the larger quantity of clean shots. He also landed more power shots. He also deflected most of Oscar's blows with his arms. Is he the most exciting to watch? Nope but hes the best.

I've seen the fight several times without sound. Alot of shotss where sounding looking good but they where comming off of DLHs gloves. I'm not saying that DLH was overwhelmingly accurate but he pressed the action and did enough for the decision IMO.

forumcrew
pressing action doesnt mean anything to me. He pressed it because if he didnt hed never land a single shot. Maybe they should change the rules I dunno but within the rules of the point system they use PBF easily won. He landed more punches bottom line even if half of his were deflected he still landed more. It wasnt exciting or pretty but he knows what to do to out point someone.

Caps Conscience
pressing action doesnt mean anything to me. He pressed it because if he didnt hed never land a single shot. Maybe they should change the rules I dunno but within the rules of the point system they use PBF easily won. He landed more punches bottom line even if half of his were deflected he still landed more. It wasnt exciting or pretty but he knows what to do to out point someone.

Not really they landed about the same, but the difference was the PBFs shots looked more impressive when they got through. Like I said I'm not mad at the decision because I can see how someone would give the fight to him. That someone would not be me though.

Bicnarok

Caps Conscience
My boy Cotto silenced all the doubters in an impressive TKO victory over Zab Juday in the eleventh. I was a very good fight though.

Darth Vicious
My boy Cotto silenced all the doubters in an impressive TKO victory over Zab Juday in the eleventh. I was a very good fight though.

Happy Dance Yes he did! Happy Dance

forumcrew
Not really they landed about the same,

according to the compubox numbers they werent even close in total punches, accuracy of punches, or power punches.

I was glad cotto won I dont like Judah at all. Although cotto went pretty low twice, the second time hurt to watch he nailed him.

Caps Conscience
according to the compubox numbers they werent even close in total punches, accuracy of punches, or power punches.

I was glad cotto won I dont like Judah at all. Although cotto went pretty low twice, the second time hurt to watch he nailed him.

Compubox was definitely counting the shots that where hitting Oscars gloves as lande punches. Compubox isn't the most accurate system.

Darth Vicious

Cotto aint a dirty fighter but damn he got him good in the nutz! He probably broke Judhas cup!

forumcrew
yea i know i really like cotto but damn that second shot makes me sick just to watch.

Caps Conscience
That fight was a war. Thats is exactly what boxing needed. I would like to see a rematch but Zab has to fight some other people first. Maybe Judah Vs Spinx 3.

forumcrew
cotto vs hatton anyone?

Caps Conscience
cotto vs hatton anyone?

Why? Hatton is bum and Castillo is going to dismantle him. Hatton has been very protected his whole career and the only real fight that he has defeated was a very old Kostya Tzu.

Caps Conscience
Cotto is probably going to fight the winner of Margarito and Williams. And after that it should be Mayweather..............

teampac08
Cotto is probably going to fight the winner of Margarito and Williams. And after that it should be Mayweather..............

Williams vs Cotto would be a good fight. I have a feeling Williams will take the Margarito fight. Anyway, Cotto has no chance against Mayweather. As boring as Mayweather is, he puts on a boxing clinic everytime.

Caps Conscience
Williams vs Cotto would be a good fight. I have a feeling Williams will take the Margarito fight. Anyway, Cotto has no chance against Mayweather. As boring as Mayweather is, he puts on a boxing clinic everytime.

Don't sleep on Cotto. Mayweather is not going to get away with the BS he got away with DLH when he fights Cotto. Not saying its an automatic win for Catto but Mayweather has to be ready for a war with Cotto and I don't think he is has that kind of fight in him.

jaden101
Why? Hatton is bum and Castillo is going to dismantle him. Hatton has been very protected his whole career and the only real fight that he has defeated was a very old Kostya Tzu.

another example of an arrogant American thinking the only worthwhile boxing comes out of the US... Hatton will wipe the floor with Castillo like he did with Urango, Collazo and Maussa

castillo's loses?...7
Hatton's losses...0

of course...it'll be the same as when Calzaghe battered the shit out of Jeff Lacy...after over hyping him the US press then said he wasn't actually that good and that Calzaghe still hadn't fought anyone good and so still wasn't a great champ

Caps Conscience
another example of an arrogant American thinking the only worthwhile boxing comes out of the US... Hatton will wipe the floor with Castillo like he did with Urango, Collazo and Maussa

castillo's loses?...7
Hatton's losses...0

of course...it'll be the same as when Calzaghe battered the shit out of Jeff Lacy...after over hyping him the US press then said he wasn't actually that good and that Calzaghe still hadn't fought anyone good and so still wasn't a great champ

Castillo was fighting real oppostion while hatton was getting ran out of the 147 pound division. lol

Has nothing to do with being american or british and has everything to do with proving yourself against worthwhile competitiion. I will ask you who has Hatton beaten in the last two years that is a could headline a paperview without him. I'll wait. wink

Caps Conscience

castillo's loses?...7
Hatton's losses...0

I never gave Lacy any such credit, but I am still waiting for Calzanghe to fight the Winky Wright, Bernard Hopkins or Jermaine Taylors before I give him any respect.

Bicnarok
I watched a repeat of the Valuev V Shagaev (forgive spelling mistakes)

Although the level of boxing was total and utterly pathetic it was still an interesting match considering the size and reach difference, still should have taken place in a circus tent not on TV for a world title.

jaden101
I never gave Lacy any such credit, but I am still waiting for Calzanghe to fight the Winky Wright, Bernard Hopkins or Jermaine Taylors before I give him any respect.

the entire american and british press proclaimed Lacy as the next great champion...when he got shown up for the average fighter that he was the same press shunned him

the bookies had calzaghe 11-10 rank outsider..

the commentators even said that it would be the fight where one champ hands over the reigns to another

well...everyone knows what happened...Lacy got beaten all over the ring for 12 rounds and looked an utter mess after it and has only fought once since

but yes...i'd like to see him fight hopkins or taylor...and he better do it soon cause he's 34 years old and closing in on retirement.

as for Hatton-Castillo...guess we dont have long to wait...should be a good fight

Caps Conscience
the entire american and british press proclaimed Lacy as the next great champion...when he got shown up for the average fighter that he was the same press shunned him

the bookies had calzaghe 11-10 rank outsider..

the commentators even said that it would be the fight where one champ hands over the reigns to another

well...everyone knows what happened...Lacy got beaten all over the ring for 12 rounds and looked an utter mess after it and has only fought once since

but yes...i'd like to see him fight hopkins or taylor...and he better do it soon cause he's 34 years old and closing in on retirement.

as for Hatton-Castillo...guess we dont have long to wait...should be a good fight

Hatton is going to get KOed from a left hook to the body. Remember where you heard it.

jaden101
Hatton is going to get KOed from a left hook to the body. Remember where you heard it.

i'll hold you to that one.

Rascaduanok
Hatton will outbox him. It should definitely prove a worthy fight, since they both excel at what they do.

Caps Conscience
Originally posted by Rascaduanok
Hatton will outbox him. It should definitely prove a worthy fight, since they both excel at what they do.

I really don't see it happening for two reasons. In Hatton's last fight Urango's body blow where really bothering Hatton. Castillo is an excelent body puncher so you do the math.

jaden101
tonight's the night caps...you ready to see your boy go down?

jaden101
well...4th round knockout for Hatton...i now await the Castillo fans to say that Castillo was past it and Hatton picked him cause he was on his way out blah blah etc etc

Hatton: 43 wins...0 defeats
Castillo 55 wins...8 defeats...1 draw

personally i now think Hatton should take up the rumoured offer of fighting Mayweather jnr at the new wembley stadium...and retire if he wins

it means Hatton stepping up a division and Mayweather stepping down...what more of a challange could you set for yourself?

Caps Conscience
Castillo quit.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>