How would Gimli fare against Legolas?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cosmo Kramer
Fight to the death with any weapons available.

ESB - 1138
Legolas will shoot Gimli with an arrow. End of story.

kamikz
Well that depends on how close they are. Dwarves are excellent sprinters, and in melee Legolas is dead. The Dwarves were also the best damage taking race of all, their skin was created as hard as rock. If a berserker Uruk-Hai could take 2 of Legolas arrows and still continue without being slowed down I think Gimli could at least take 3. Dwarves are also faster runners than humans, on a ranger shorter than 15 meters he would be beside him in no time at all.
But I still think Legolas winning is more likley. laughing

DanielLB
I really couldn't see Gimli defeating Legolas for the above reasonsstick out tongue So im going to go with Legolas aswellbig grin

kamikz
LMAO. laughing

mace=badass
Well, considering Legolas never runs out of arrows, and can shoot multiple ones, and never misses, He wins.

Hello Friend
Gimli would kick his ass. Legolas is a pussy who needs a shitload of range for him to not suck. Gimli chops his head off in Melee combat.

But if Legolas starts a good distance away, he wins.

Blaxican_Jedi
Lego does run out of arrows. But yeah he would still win ony cause of the range thing.

DarthLazious
Legolas would kick Gimli's ass anytime and he is a master with the bow.

Council#13
This is kinda tough to decide. Dwarves are natural sprinters, and if he can reach Legolas in time, he would lope off his head (that is if Legolas just stands there trying to shoot through Gimli's armor). However, Legolas might be able to shoot an arrow, run, shoot an arrow, run.... etc. he might win in that case.

Darth Traya
I'd say that Gimli wins.

DanielLB
Originally posted by Cosmo Kramer
Fight to the death with any weapons available.

Gimli with atomic bomb VS Legolas with atomic bomb?!

Well both would either die.......or be friends! and make peace!!!!!!!!!!!1 hahaha

DraconaInVolata
Well, as several have pointed out, I agree that Legolas would win, and to be honest, I'm not a big Legolas fan. But he's smart enough to start with some distance and might just shook Gimli.

mr heavy metal
legolas will aniolate him with a bow little gmmli will gewt shot in the eye with an arrow

Darth POW
even in combat gimli is slow with his axe and legolas could easily dodge and get him with his knife. and if theres a distance between them gimli is dead.

Blaxican_Hydra
Gimli's fat woudl abosrb the arrows and thsn repel them back, and if Gimli falls over he could roll at a top speed of over 80 Mph!!!

ESB - 1138
Originally posted by Council#13
This is kinda tough to decide. Dwarves are natural sprinters, and if he can reach Legolas in time, he would lope off his head (that is if Legolas just stands there trying to shoot through Gimli's armor). However, Legolas might be able to shoot an arrow, run, shoot an arrow, run.... etc. he might win in that case.

Dwarves or not natural sprinters. The only reason you say that is because Gimli said it. Gimli said it because an elf was leaving him in the dust and Gimli didn't like that. Legolas has duel swords that he can wield pretty well as shown in the Two Towers and Legolas (in the movie) took down a Mumakil which Gimli could only dream of doing.

Blaxican_Hydra
Gimli could have taken down that Mumakil if he wanted to, he just didn't want to ocmpletely out do LEgolas, which he did anyway. In the battle for Helmds Deep Gimli owned Lego-lamb in kill count.

ESB - 1138
He won by 1 kill that's real pwnge right there huh? A dwarf is afraid to go underground and an elf isn't? (Path of the Dead)

willman
have any of you read the books? when aragorn, legolas and gimili are chasing the orcs and merry and pippin, gimili is SLOW!

Blaxican_Hydra
Originally posted by ESB - 1138
He won by 1 kill that's real pwnge right there huh? A dwarf is afraid to go underground and an elf isn't? (Path of the Dead)

That was in the movie, and in the books Gimli wins by more. Peter JAckson is just homsexual and so he wanted to LEgolas to be sexy. Half of the crap he does in the movies he doesn't do in the books.

And considering the fact that LEgolas ahd nineteen whiel Gimli had 2..how did he catch up so fast?

Jarshewa
even though legolas is foo foo,he would win.dwarves may be fast sprinters or whatever but an elf has gosta be faster.

carribean fairy
yeh, elves are faster than dwarves but i dont think they wqould fight anyway so because they r friends, there more likely to be doing this beer

Jarshewa
lol.yeah maybe gimli, but legolas would be drinking wine like a sissy

Darth POW
no remember in the films legolas out drinks gimli

Blaxican_Hydra
yup, in the hobbits those elves get drunk liek no tomarrow.

ESB - 1138
Originally posted by Jarshewa
lol.yeah maybe gimli, but legolas would be drinking wine like a sissy

Legolas beat Gimli in a drinking contest so what would that make Gimli?

Blaxican_Hydra
Better than Legolas.

Jarshewa
when does legolas outdrink gimli in the movie?
i must of missed that.............

(offtrack question...do you think tolkien smoked weed,or was just always refering to tabacky)

Blaxican_Hydra
1. It was a deleted scene, so you could only see it in special edition.

2. Yes he did smoke weed.

Jarshewa
im a cheap bastard,but i bought the special edition to "the fellowship" so i take it it wasnt in that.

id enjoy to see that though.

DanielLB
Its in the ROTK EE

Blaxican_Hydra
Yeah.

Jarshewa
thanx-time to find 30 bucks

Council#13
Dwarves or not natural sprinters. The only reason you say that is because Gimli said it. Gimli said it because an elf was leaving him in the dust and Gimli didn't like that. Legolas has duel swords that he can wield pretty well as shown in the Two Towers and Legolas (in the movie) took down a Mumakil which Gimli could only dream of doing.

Gimli was tired because he was running for so long. But i wont argue that Legolas is the better runner

ESB - 1138
Originally posted by Council#13
Gimli was tired because he was running for so long. But i wont argue that Legolas is the better runner

Aragon and Legolas were still holding strong. Gimli was falling further and further behind.

Revolver Ocelot
This still alive? I thought it was quite clear in the books that Gimli > Legolas, though not by much. Tolkien stated himself that Legolas did the least out of the Fellowship.

That's why movie Legolas is a bad incarnation. Fanboys flock to him and defend him even when's he's outclassed.

Anyways, if Legolas starts with a good distance and gets a good shot he'll win. He has no real chance in melee combat.

Blaxican_Hydra
Originally posted by Revolver Ocelot
This still alive? I thought it was quite clear in the books that Gimli > Legolas, though not by much. Tolkien stated himself that Legolas did the least out of the Fellowship.

That's why movie Legolas is a bad incarnation. Fanboys flock to him and defend him even when's he's outclassed.

Anyways, if Legolas starts with a good distance and gets a good shot he'll win. He has no real chance in melee combat.

kamikz
Originally posted by Blaxican_Hydra
That was in the movie, and in the books Gimli wins by more. Peter JAckson is just homsexual and so he wanted to LEgolas to be sexy. Half of the crap he does in the movies he doesn't do in the books.

And considering the fact that LEgolas ahd nineteen whiel Gimli had 2..how did he catch up so fast?

No, everything here is in the book as well, he only wins by 1 and he is afraid to walk down to the undead (but what the hell has this with the fight to do?).

Blaxican_Hydra
He did not kill a mumuk in the books. He did not slide down a flight of stairs on a sheild killing ten orcs, and he did not jump on the back of a fercocious troll and shoot it in the head. Half of the things he did were exxagerations.

kamikz
Of course, but the two reasons that I quoted from you is from the book.... I was more aiming on you're reply to that other guys quote, I didn't see the rest about "half the things done in the movies"....sorry.

vanice
Originally posted by Blaxican Style
He did not kill a mumuk in the books. He did not slide down a flight of stairs on a sheild killing ten orcs, and he did not jump on the back of a fercocious troll and shoot it in the head. Half of the things he did were exxagerations.

and what has this tp do with this topic? I can admit that Legolas is a bit overpowerd is the movies, but peter jacksson hasn't changed the storry.

vanice

and what has this to do with this topic? I can admit that Legolas is a bit overpowerd is the movies, but peter jacksson hasn't changed the storry.

Draugwen

Legolas had seventeen while Gimli had two stick out tongue And in the book he had at least twenty when Gimli had two. Also in the book, it seems Gimli caught up so fast because he had to chop his way through to the caves at some point.
Quote: "'Where is Gimli?'
'I do not know,' said Aragorn. 'I last saw him fighting on the ground behind the wall, but the enemy swept us apart.'
'Alas! That is evil news,' said Legolas.
'He is stout and strong,' said Aragorn. 'Let us hope that he will escape back to the caves. '
' I desired to tell Master Gimli that my tale is now thirty-nine.'
'If he wins back to the caves, he will pass your count again,' laughed Aragorn. 'Never did I see an axe so wielded.'"
That much for that question anyway... wink And Legolas and Gimli would never fight each other yes

Fëanor
Originally posted by Draugwen

That much for that question anyway... wink And Legolas and Gimli would never fight each other yes

no they wouldn't. but they might have dinner together -sigh-....laughing just kidding!! stick out tongue

Draugwen
laughing out loud

Miino
Aragon and Legolas were still holding strong. Gimli was falling further and further behind.

just something...

Gimly wears lots of armour?

vanice
Originally posted by Miino
just something...

minirostat? 25% fd bredlast here

Miino
Originally posted by vanice
minirostat? 25% fd bredlast here

ye ye..stick to topic anyway ^^

kamikz
Originally posted by Miino
just something...

Well...yeah he does, and his axe weights much more than any of Aragorn's/Legolas weapons.

And to ESB 1138, he said good "sprinters" not long distance runners. Dwarves are faster than Elves in short distance...

vanice
true that

LadyOfMirkwood9
Gimli would never have a chance HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Cosmo Kramer
Yeah he would.

lordmohahat
gimli every time. he would win through sheer stubborness. remeber the dwarves were the only ones who could stop glaurung(first and possibly mightiest of the dragons). bring back venom so we can have CARNAGE

Cosmo Kramer
Hell ya

ESB -1138
Originally posted by kamikz
Well...yeah he does, and his axe weights much more than any of Aragorn's/Legolas weapons.

And to ESB 1138, he said good "sprinters" not long distance runners. Dwarves are faster than Elves in short distance...

Gimli said that when they were running for days in and days out. For all you know Gimli was just trying to make him being the slowest have a reason.

Quark_666
Legolas in the books was good, but he didn't outshine most of the other characters the way he did in the movies. He was an excellent Archer, and he was good with a sword. That is all.

Gimli's behavior in the books seems to indicate he did wonderfully when he could hack at his opponent's defence to his heart's delight...as long as his opponent stayed within range of his ax. Look at the way he caught up with Legolas once the place became flooded with orcs.

But Legolas isn't stupid enough to stay in range of Gimli's ax.

Violent2Dope
One shot to the neck or face and the midget dies.

Spidervlad
Lets face it, in the movies they made Gimli some weak midget who slowly chops things down. I mean, I didn't even see any cool scenes of Gimli slaying anyone/anything. However, atleast they made Legolas look like a freaken power ranger. You have to say, the mumakul part was just WAY too much.

Gimli was wearing heavy armor, he had a heavy axe, and added to that his legs are much shorter than Aragorn's or Legolas's. I don't remember that Gimli was falling back ALOT. He was complaining a little thought.

Movie wise= Legolas Wins
Book wise= Gimli wins.

Violent2Dope
I've read the books and watched the movies, I admit Legolas in the movies was uberfied but still even in the books Legolas would only need one shot to kill Gimli.

Dresta
Legolas takes this, easily.

tulakhordpwns

Biccie
lol elves can run as well wink

Legolas would win for sure, his skill with the bow is fantastic, as is his skill with his swords.

He is very fast and would dodge gimilis attacks, even if the dwarf did get close enough.

Alowishis
Its all about the setting...

Range: Legolas without doubt

Sword vs Axe: While Lagolas is fast and would dodge "easily" Gimlis axe, Gimli would withstand many hits from Legolas sword. Gimly is strong and can fight with much heavier armor and a great axe. One blow of Gimlis axe would surely wound Legolas so much that the second thrust could be the fatal one. Legolas would become so dizzy and off balanced by that powerful blow and give Gimli the upper hand. With Legolas knowing this, and Gimli beeing far from a novice, I think it would be a long fight. Mostly with Legolas avoiding Gimlis axe and trying to find openings for small strikes between the much needed parries. While Gimli on the otherhand, with his remarkable fighting skills, stubbornness and endurance never would grow tire.
I Would put my money on Gimli, think I would win the bet at least 60% of the times.

Bare knuckle fight: Gimli would wipe the floor with the slender elf

thefallen544
I personally favour Gimli, if he could get within close range especially so. The use of an Axe against an unarmoured Elf would be quite devastating. Plus, Gimli openly wore a coat of what I assume to be Dwarven steel mail. Whilst I doubt it would turn a direct hit with an arrow, it should certain turn a glancing shot.

Although the sprinting ability of the Dwarves seems to be, at best a concoction of the script writers for the movie. I scanned through a few of the books, and the quotes about the Dwarves and their ability seem to lend lend themselves more to the idea that they have a very high endurance and are thus, suited to long distance rather than short distance sprints.

In the Silmarillion, on the making of the Dwarves in chapter "Of Aule and Yavanna"

'Aule made the Dwarves strong to endure. Therefore they are stone hard, stubborn'
and
'they suffer toil and hunger and hurt of body more hardily than all other speaking peoples'

There's quotes in Fellowship and Two Towers which also allude the the Dwarves capacity for endurance, but I am already deviating from the point so wont bore you all by posting them. Unless they are required of course, then I would be glad to.

CPT Space Bomb
MOVIE Legolas wins.

Books, Gimli destroys him. Legolas did the least of all the fellowship (even less than the hobbits), this comes from Tolkien himself. Jackson pimped Legolas out in the movie to create an army of fanboys for him.

dadudemon
Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
Jackson pimped Legolas out in the movie to create an army of fanboys for him.

You mean "fangirls"....right? big grin

Vaiem
In the movies, Legolas would take Gimli easy. But if we're going by book standards, I think Gimli would come out triumphant.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.