OT slow duels vs. PT fast duels

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

locuasohappy
i was wondering why in the original trilogy the lighsaber duels were so slow (and the lightsaber was very thin) and in the Prequels the duels were so much faster and intense (the lighsabers were thicker and slightly shorter)

Faroth
I liked the OT duels because they kind of had more varied moves, and not just "Slash right, slash left, slash right, slash left, block right, block left, block right, block left" style moves. Although, some PT fights had variety.

SS_181st_Snow
Originally posted by locuasohappy
i was wondering why in the original trilogy the lighsaber duels were so slow (and the lightsaber was very thin) and in the Prequels the duels were so much faster and intense (the lighsabers were thicker and slightly shorter)

Because 1: the OT was made in late 70's, early 80's, where Lucas himself was revolutionizing the technology. The PT was made in this era, where a 5 year old can do on a comp what Lucas spent millions doing.

2: the PT was a while before the OT, where Jedi were high in numbers, even tho they barely practiced lightsaber duels until Maul showed up, but in the OT the only two Jedi left (not counting Luke here), well, Yoda lost his lightsaber for one thing, and Ben had no reason keep practicing.

Jack Daniels
OT jedi drank to much...lol

Tangible God
How appropriate.

But yeah, OT came second, but made first.
PT came first, made second.

With about 20 years in between the trilogies, technology and excuses for lack of technology will have been created.

Jack Daniels
hey none was there to tell obi-wan not to drink.....you notice in aotc he went str8 to the bar when finding bounty hunter chic....annie of course would follow his lead...jedi see jedi do...lol...luke well yoda never thought of warning him of how much jack daniels or correlian ale could slow him down...LOL

Blaxican_Jedi
Technoligy gaps and and other such things.

Obi-wan was a hermet who lived in a backwater planet. he had no need to keep practicing. Also he as old, very old for a human. Yoda 1. lost his ligh sabre. 2. He lived in a swamp on a backwater planet. 3. He was getting old for whatever alien he was.

Vader was also gettin kinda old. And he had lost every limb he had at one point in time. Also I think after just choking people out with a flick of your wrist for ten years will make you kind of lazy.

All the jedi after werds were not trained right. In the PT, people were accepted into the Jedi temple and trained at the ages of five and such. Luke and the others did't get trained till adult hood. The training lasted like 10-15 years, with the right euipment and such. Luke was only trained for like three days total. one dat with Obi-wan and 1 and a half with Yoda, besides training by himself.

bogen
just cause your one minded about the drink

Wesker
I think everyone's assuming it's more tech than trend.

The OT duels, ANH aside (Because in that case, tech really DID dictate the rules of combat), are simple but effective. There's less emphasis on duelling, however, and more on drama. The style was part-European broadsword style, part- kendo style. I personally liked the lack of emphasis on a saberfest and the more dramatic but simpler style.

In the PT, the influences are more eastern, like kung fu type swordsmanship. More emphasis on spins and flips and flourishes (Which are really of no use in real swordsmanship). I really think this type of choreography is inferior rather than superior in terms of authenticity. While most people may not notice, I notice all too well how glaringly unrealistic the style is and how useless most of the moves are. TPM Qui Gon Jinn does a complete spin just to slash at Maul's legs. It has to be the most telegraphed attack in SW history right next to Luke's Clumsy Stab in ROTJ at Vader (Complete with Ninja Shout). However, PT Jedi swordsman are much faster and more precise, especially Obi versus Anakin or DOoku versus anyone.

But anyways, the change was due to a change in trend in movie fighting, more than a change in tech.

General G
Well, after episode 3, noone had any use or couldn't practice lightsaber fighting techniques. Yoda lost his lightsaber so he couldn't practice. Darth Vader didn't need to practice because he believed all jedi to be dead but Obi-Wan, and he didn't think it was very likely for him to find him. Obi-Wan didn't need to practice because he was watching over Luke while he was growing up and he was getting old so he couldn't move as fast.

jedi2187
I agree with Wesker on the choice of OT fight style. Epi 2 and 3 had some great swordplay, but duels like in ESB and ROTJ keep me glued to the set.

I've been watching ESB lately, and watched how Vader fought with Luke. The beginning was very tame, like Vader studying to see how well Luke does at using a lightsaber, and as the movie progresses, Vader takes off the kid gloves and gives his son a good thrashing.

SS_181st_Snow
Heh, yeah I noticed that too. And after Luke tapped him in the shoulder, Vader just went no holds barred, which schooled Luke in 3 seconds flat. You could even hear in his voice that he was ticked.

Illustrious
Originally posted by Wesker

The OT duels, ANH aside (Because in that case, tech really DID dictate the rules of combat), are simple but effective. There's less emphasis on duelling, however, and more on drama. The style was part-European broadsword style, part- kendo style. I personally liked the lack of emphasis on a saberfest and the more dramatic but simpler style.

In the PT, the influences are more eastern, like kung fu type swordsmanship. More emphasis on spins and flips and flourishes (Which are really of no use in real swordsmanship). I really think this type of choreography is inferior rather than superior in terms of authenticity. While most people may not notice, I notice all too well how glaringly unrealistic the style is and how useless most of the moves are. TPM Qui Gon Jinn does a complete spin just to slash at Maul's legs. It has to be the most telegraphed attack in SW history right next to Luke's Clumsy Stab in ROTJ at Vader (Complete with Ninja Shout). However, PT Jedi swordsman are much faster and more precise, especially Obi versus Anakin or DOoku versus anyone.

But anyways, the change was due to a change in trend in movie fighting, more than a change in tech.

More eastern cinematography, but definitely not more eastern style. You'd be hard pressed to say some of those lightsaber styles were eastern.

ESB - 1138
Watch ESB again. They move quickly they just don't use pointless flips and turns. They fight the way one should fight with a sword instead of jumping around the room.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Wesker

But anyways, the change was due to a change in trend in movie fighting, more than a change in tech. Damn Janus, you've observatorially pwnt us.

Wesker
Originally posted by Illustrious
More eastern cinematography, but definitely not more eastern style. You'd be hard pressed to say some of those lightsaber styles were eastern.

This is more correct, I agree. I typed it up in a hurry before work.

And yeah, the OT battles were very interesting to watch. Atmosphere and dialogue was far more important.

Darth Traya
I liked the ANH duel. It's superior to most PT "ZomG" duels.

You can see Obi and Vader test each others defences. They circle round each other and then fight.

Captain REX
I'm just waiting for n00bs to run in and say 'n0, teh PT z0mG! dools were teh bestest! pwnt ANH!' so I can slap them...

Good observations, Janus. Teh Terrorist is with you.

ESB - 1138
The only PT duel better then the OT (mostly the Empire Strikes Back) is Anakin vs. Obi-Wan.

SS_181st_Snow
Originally posted by ESB - 1138
The only PT duel better then the OT (mostly the Empire Strikes Back) is Anakin vs. Obi-Wan.

The reason it was good is because it was just like the OT duels, it had the emotion, and the suspense. It was probably the most emotional duel out of the whole saga.

SnakeEyes
I really like both the OT and PT duels.

Obi-wan versus Anakin in ROTS really impressed me. It had tons of emotion and excellent choreography.

There is something special about the OT duels, however. They seem to be just as epic but not nearly as flashy.

Ganner Rhysode
Originally posted by SS_181st_Snow
Because 1: the OT was made in late 70's, early 80's, where Lucas himself was revolutionizing the technology. The PT was made in this era, where a 5 year old can do on a comp what Lucas spent millions doing.

Okay, show me even just a five minute video YOU made that even matchs up to Episode I. If even a five year old can do it, should be no problem for you...

Wesker
Originally posted by Captain REX
I'm just waiting for n00bs to run in and say 'n0, teh PT z0mG! dools were teh bestest! pwnt ANH!' so I can slap them...

Good observations, Janus. Teh Terrorist is with you.

Thanks, Rex.

((The_Anomaly))
I liked all the duels. But to be honest I do like the PT duels over the OT duels. But this is because I'm a huge martial arts (kung fu) movie guy. I love stuff like that, and so I loved the Eastern influence in the PT duels.

As it stands I liked Anakin vs. Obi-Wan the best and the duel of fates second. With the ESB duel pretty close behind. All the rest of the duels are kinda on the same level. both PT and OT.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.