Who is the best fighter in the LOTR world

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

w00t2112
Who was the best fighter out of the Elves, Orcs, Men and Dwarves?

Darth Traya
FIngolfin?

DanielLB
Orcs-You cant pin-point one orc so it'll be a certain race, maybe the Great Orcs or Orcs of Mordor.
Men-Hard beacuse theres so many, maybe King of Gondor at one point, Beor, House of Eorl.

Actually, this thread is kind of pointless, theres soooo many different people you could choose from-needs to be more specific

Hello Friend
Hurin. By far.

ILoveMyDaniel
I would have to say....Aragorn is the best fighter.

w00t2112
Fighter as in their physical prowess and their skills with melee weapons eg. a sword

kanis
borg i would have to go with the humans, elves and dwarfs not just in LOTR but in all fantasy books. You could be reading one book where you like elves and another where you like humans or dwarves.

Icicle

Lord DarqueLand
Sauron with the Ring in the fight against Isildur and the Elves and Men...I mean he lost the ring but he was best fighter

lioness_haze
legalos iz da best fighter cause i love him
love orli orli oli love

DanielLB
Another orli fan girl

Blaxican_Jedi
Gimli could beat Legolas and Aragorn at the same time in a melee fight.

kamikz
Aragorn could cut Gimli's axe into two.

chucktaylor
Amen! All hail Anduril!

DanielLB
Originally posted by Blaxican_Jedi
Gimli could beat Legolas and Aragorn at the same time in a melee fight.

I would say Aragorn and Legolas would compeltletly destroy Gimli in one second!

lothlorien.elf
HALDIR is the best fighter X) i think so ... please dont tell me off for saying that - as i know some people will.

DanielLB
Originally posted by lothlorien.elf
HALDIR is the best fighter X) i think so ... please dont tell me off for saying that - as i know some people will.

hehe i hope your not refering to mestick out tongue haha wink big grin eek! laughing lol

lothlorien.elf
Originally posted by DanielLB
hehe i hope your not refering to mestick out tongue haha wink big grin eek! laughing lol

hehe no comment wink

DanielLB
stick out tongue

lothlorien.elf
wink

Blaxican_Jedi
Gimli would win Im serious. His fat is impentrable. And he would just smother than in it.

lothlorien.elf
yeha ... he just has to shift ... and boom ... theyre all dead eek!

Great Vengeance
Tulkas.

Revolver Ocelot
Originally posted by Revolver Ocelot
Hurin. By far.

The man was a beast, taking down 60 trolls. There are none from the Third Age that can hold a candle to him, and there are very few from the first age that can contest with him.

Turin, Fingolfin, Ecthelion, Elendil, Gil-Galad all get honorable mentions.

Tallis
The Witch-King

Traya
Meh, Hurin was a beast, but I'm not exactly inclined to put him on Fingolfin's level.

Bar-en-Danwedh
turin...

elves and gods are a bit unfair to throw into the mix...

i mean comparitvley for what they were...

and for a man, Turin kicked some major ass especially considering how many times he was alone. he killed elves, men, orcs, and the father of all dragons Glaurung.

Feanor took on alot of balrogs, which is worth mentioneding regardless of the outcome.

Draugwen

Bar-en-Danwedh
Maedhros became better with his left hand in combat than he had ever been with his right after loosing it... that's a level of dedication and spite that is VERY worth mentioning...

but when the equivilant of satan comes to your door and asks for your help, and you tell him to bugar off out of paranoia of him wanting your craftwork... i gotta giove kudos... i mean there should be a picture of feanor in the dictionary next to fierce...

seriously... he really had a dutch temper.

Draugwen
equivalent of satan? confused

Draugwen
Whom did you mean by that?

Bar-en-Danwedh
Melkor...

He let him have it. he mouthed off, and MElkor left...

Draugwen
Originally posted by Bar-en-Danwedh
but when the equivilant of satan comes to your door and asks for your help, and you tell him to bugar off out of paranoia of him wanting your craftwork... i gotta giove kudos...

I can't really remember Morgoth doing that stick out tongue Am I having some holes in my memories of the Silm? confused

Great Vengeance
If you dont count Tulkas, then the best fighter is Faenor.

Traya
Meh, if were only counting men then:

Hurin.

But if we count elves and so on, I'm more inclined to think Fingolfin.

Revolver Ocelot
Of the sons of Finwe, Feanor was "greatest and mightiest", but Fingolfin was "proudest and strongest". And IIRC "greater in arms". You might say that those terms overlap, but those are Tolkien's words

kamikz
K I'm not really "that" familliar with Silmarillion and that stuff, but I have read some and one of my buddys have told me some stuff, and I can't say that I'm impressed with Fingolfin.... He had a magical sword and got crushed by Morgoth when he was weaker, but because he held his sword up in the air he wounded him.... Can someone tell me why he is on such a high horse here please. I'm not mocking Fingolfin, but this is the only thing I've heard about him, and it impresses me as much as Isildur cutting of Sauron's ring blink .

Revolver Ocelot
Being "proudest and strongest" of the mightiest non-Ent non-Ainur race in Arda does account for something.

kamikz
So that is all?

Belegūr
Glorfindel. Because he sacrificed himself. stick out tongue

maham
Eowyn! laughing
she was courageous enuf 2 go 2 the battlefield despite all the discrimination she got fr bein a woman n she fought well too smile

vanice
I'm ready to go with Kamikz. There are no facks saying that Fingolfin is a god-like fighter. I wuold say Turin. He did it all by himself. Tulkas is the best fighter, but he IS a god so.. but all of the Hour, Hurin, Tuor, Turin are gid fighters and sad storrys.

Draugwen
Well, it takes a lot to face Morgoth in combat alone... I do think that's something that speaks for Fingolfin :P And I think Morgoth even was afraid to face him, even though he killed him in the end...

vanice
It takes a lot of courage maby, but that is not what makes you a good fighter is it? I mean Eowyn is very courageous, facing a nazgul, but that doesn't make yuo a good fighter. Gil galad was a good fighter beacuse he slew many orcs. That's a concrete fackt.

Draugwen
I mean that Fingolfin fared pretty well against Morgoth, and that accounts a lot for his skill... After all Morgoth was a Vala, and one of the mightiest (if not the mightiest) and Fingolfin was 'only' an elf...
Morgoth would have stomped most within half a minute. At most.

kamikz
How exactly did he stand up to him? A fly can survive against me for 5 minutes because I'm missing him but he is barley a challenge.. And if it is a bee of some kind, when I finally get him he hurts me with his tail (lol). So what exactly happened? I'm not so familliar with the story...

Discos
Maedhros would be mine,

The most ultime fighter in the known world of Arda - Tulkas. No arguements, if so bring them forward smile

Draugwen
laughing out loud Who would stand up against Tulkas? But since he's a Vala he's way beyond the others anyway stick out tongue

Razielim
Uh, Hurin would destroy Turin.

And why has no one mentioned Ectchelion? Or Elendil? Or Gil Galad... All were great.

Even Aragorn was pretty nifty. Though it seems like the First Age guys are at the top.

Discos
yup First Age was the stronger years, men were not as weak and everyone was full of pride and united against evil, third age got quite lazy...damn you Denethor

Draugwen
well, the evil side got a little lazy as well... considering that the amount of dragons, balrogs and the like in their lines diminished somewhat stick out tongue
So you can hardly blame the Third Age warriors too much wink

LadyOfMirkwood9
I would say one thing LEGOLAS!!!!!! Is the best fighter no doubt

st@rlight
INUVATAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and from Arda: Manwe yes

coolmovies
No its ARAGORN LOLZ

it_wasn't_me
glorfindel is cool but who is best that's hard to know.

thtadthtshldntb
After Tulkas, and the other Valar and Maiar, the most highly skilled is probably Fingolfin but Feanor in terms of overall power, the most powerful of the Children of Illuvatar is Feanor.

themadsurfer
In LOTR the best fighter is obviously without discussion Glorfindel.
In all Tolkien lore that would be Fingolfin.

themadsurfer
Originally posted by kamikz
K I'm not really "that" familliar with Silmarillion and that stuff, but I have read some and one of my buddys have told me some stuff, and I can't say that I'm impressed with Fingolfin.... He had a magical sword and got crushed by Morgoth when he was weaker, but because he held his sword up in the air he wounded him.... Can someone tell me why he is on such a high horse here please. I'm not mocking Fingolfin, but this is the only thing I've heard about him, and it impresses me as much as Isildur cutting of Sauron's ring blink .

Ringil is a nice sword but nothing was said that she was that powerful as you are saying. Aragorn's sword had more renown than Rigil, Turin's sword was freaking mighty and would stomp Ringil at any time even Turgon's sword had more fame so your point fail. Morgoth was weaker but he was still huge and strong to the point where he hit the ground and made craters (that finally resulted in Fingolfin's death), his speed was said to be like lightning (so he was undoubtedly fast but not that literally of course) and even with that mighty, speed and size(he towered in front of Fingolfin) Fingolfin was still faster and skilled enough to hit him without being hit, when finally he got hit by Morgoth's shield he didn't yield and kept rising even with the pounding of the dark lord's mighty(that proves how strong Fingolfin was). At the end he literally crippled Morgoth to the point where he couldn't walk straight for the rest of his life.
How can you compare that with Isildur's feat? Isildur didn't wrestled with Sauron he actually left that part for his father and Gil-Galad and one thing is to cut a finger the other is cripple someone forever especially someone more powerful than Sauron even weakened.
As others were saying the simple mention that he was mightier in arms than Feanor who was actually capable of fighting multiple Balrogs(less powerful at that time but still no one had ever killed them in battle) already puts him in the top fighters and one of the most capable physically.

Kadan
Gurthang is the sword that will kill all of the mightiest within Ea. And the sword that would 'kill' Melkor in the Dagor Dagorath.
Ringil as a sword is below Turin's. But both blades are greater then Narsil.
Anyway, as for the question of this thread.
Tulkas is practically the God of War, and is the single greatest warrior in all of Arda (and Ea,) if he could be added then he'd take the spot.

Originally posted by Generic Hero
The man was a beast, taking down 60 trolls. There are none from the Third Age that can hold a candle to him, and there are very few from the first age that can contest with him.

Turin, Fingolfin, Ecthelion, Elendil, Gil-Galad all get honorable mentions.
Actually, Hurin took down 70 Troll's after picking up a Troll battle axe that was lying around, and took them all down with a single strike.
Not only that but he utterly destroyed Melkor/Morgoth's armies, and was only defeated because quite literally all of his foes were on top of him.
Don't forget Earendil as well. And Elendil and Gil-Galad were strong for sure, but only by Second Age standards.

Originally posted by Swirly Girl
Meh, Hurin was a beast, but I'm not exactly inclined to put him on Fingolfin's level.
Hurin was stated to be the greatest warrior in all of Arda behind Tulkas.
Hurin was a greater fighter then Fingolfin bro.
Maybe not in power, but certainly in skill.
It goes.
Hurin
Fingolfin/Feanor
Turgon
Turin/Tour
Earendil
Beren
Ecthelion
Think I forgot a few.
It either goes like that, or Fingolfin/Feanor are both on the top. But I'm pretty sure I'm right.
Melkor actually feared Hurin's bloodline enough to curse it. And he also hated Hurin quite hugely.
Didn't know where to put Fingon,

Kadan
Note It's been a year or so since I read the Sil, so I am not completely correct here.
But remember Hurin withstood Melkor's will himself.
Hurin also defied Melkor to his face.

themadsurfer

Angelalex242
The best fighter is Bombur. But only if he's in a barrel at the time. wink

NemeBro
Fingolfin is the greatest martial combat of the elves. Hurin is the best of Men. Orcs? I can't recall any in the books being particularly capable. No idea on dwarves. Samwise the Brave is the mightiest Hobbit to ever live.

Robtard
I forget, were any of the Elven groups/cultures noted as being more powerful than the other?

NemeBro
Yes, the Noldor IIRC were the most militarily powerful of the Elves, and the Noldor tended to produce the most powerful elves (with some exceptions like the Sindar Luthien, though she was also half-Maia), such as Fingolfin, Feanor, Ecthelion, and Galadriel.

Kadan
Originally posted by NemeBro
Yes, the Noldor IIRC were the most militarily powerful of the Elves, and the Noldor tended to produce the most powerful elves (with some exceptions like the Sindar Luthien, though she was also half-Maia), such as Fingolfin, Feanor, Ecthelion, and Galadriel.

Don't forget good old Glorfindel, Turgon, and the sons of Feanor.
Think I missed some...

KuRuPT Thanosi
Tulkas and easily

Jmanghan
Talion?

NemeBro
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
Tulkas and easily Tulkas isn't an elf, orc, man, or dwarf.

Daisy Roberts
Aragorn

themadsurfer
Originally posted by Daisy Roberts
Aragorn

Many men in the first age would beat him.

PaulsHomeAlone
I would honestly have to say Aragorn.

carthage
Fingolfin, and Turin probably comes second

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
How does Galadriel stack up to Fingolfin?

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by PaulsHomeAlone
I would honestly have to say Aragorn.

In the movies, yes, very likely.

Mindset
Legolas would rape him.

Inhuman
The Eegles

ares834
Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
How does Galadriel stack up to Fingolfin?

As a combatant, not well.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Mindset
Legolas would rape him.

No. Even Gimli outscored Legolas in the battle of Helm's Deep.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.