Anti-U.S. war movie hit in Turkey

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darkman87
A movie depicting Americans as the bad guys in Iraq has become a super hit in Turkey, a secular Muslim country and a NATO ally of the United States.

More than 2.5 million Turks thronged to see the movie "Valley of the Wolves -- Iraq" in the first 10 days and pirate copies reportedly are doing a roaring business.

"The film is absolutely magnificent," Bulent Arinc, the parliament speaker and one of several politicians to attend the gala in Ankara, told The London Times. "It is completely true to life."

The report said the audience clapped when the "bad guy," played by Billy Zane, was killed. What has upset the Turks was the arrest of 11 Turkish special forces, which is the opening scene in the movie, but for which the United States already has apologized. The movie also shows the Abu Ghraib abuse.

A 26-year-old editorial assistant said the movie "shows all the awful things the American soldiers did in Iraq." U.S. diplomats have tried to play down the significance of the movie.

What do you say?

I think it is a good answer to Americans. This is how we felt after Midnight express. No offense just write your comment.

Mišt
Is it being released worldwide or in specific countries? Havent heard of it before...

Ushgarak
I think the film destroyed its own credibility with the organ-harvesting Jewish doctor. This anti-semitism was crass and unneccessary and betrays an approach which has no critical or moral value.

Makedde
The Amercians are the bad guys in Iraq, they are killing innocent people. I hope to see this film, I look foward to it.

FG725
no need for this liberal B.S. besides have you seen pics from Iraq because i was sent an email of the people there and the little kids were all happy holding up signs saying thank you mister Bush. And we aren' t the ones who would send little kids like 12 with bombs attached to them but we could always let evil dictators take over that would be nice for the people wouldn't it i myself would rather die then be under control of a dictator and we should've let Hitler keep killing Jews as well right? If we didn't finish off Sadam's reign as soon as he got enough power he would be just like Hitler

Soth
Originally posted by FG725
no need for this liberal B.S. besides have you seen pics from Iraq because i was sent an email of the people there and the little kids were all happy holding up signs saying thank you mister Bush. And we aren' t the ones who would send little kids like 12 with bombs attached to them but we could always let evil dictators take over that would be nice for the people wouldn't it i myself would rather die then be under control of a dictator and we should've let Hitler keep killing Jews as well right? If we didn't finish off Sadam's reign as soon as he got enough power he would be just like Hitler Do you realize that those pictures of jubilant kids are likely doctored? Iraqis as a whole hate our guts. If anyone is happy that we're there, they're in the EXTREME minority. You know why? We may have come with intent to liberate, but now it's a occupation where the citizens lives are worse than they were under Saddam. And although Saddam was bad, we should have actually come up with plausible reasons to invade instead of the BS we were fed. (WMDs and 9/11).

That said, I think this thread should be moved to General Discussion, because it's gonig to become less and less about the movie.

PS: Never trust pictures sent in e-mails

BackFire
That just screams "gimmick movie". Sounds lame.

Rapscallion
Originally posted by Soth
Do you realize that those pictures of jubilant kids are likely doctored? Iraqis as a whole hate our guts. If anyone is happy that we're there, they're in the EXTREME minority. You know why? We may have come with intent to liberate, but now it's a occupation where the citizens lives are worse than they were under Saddam. And although Saddam was bad, we should have actually come up with plausible reasons to invade instead of the BS we were fed. (WMDs and 9/11).

That said, I think this thread should be moved to General Discussion, because it's gonig to become less and less about the movie.

PS: Never trust pictures sent in e-mails

But you should always trust films by Michael Moore.

In response to the rest your post...

Hate america for what? I can understand if they hate the current administration. God knows I hate it too. But you can't seriously believe that most Iraqis hate americans. What would they hate them for? Liberating them from one of the most horrific dictators in the past 40 years? OR do they hate americans for helping them set up a democratic government? Or do they hate the american soldiers who trained their police and army so they can protect themselves instead of having to have America protect them? Or do they hate american soldiers for dying to save their country? Jesus can you believe the nerve of some people? They're willing to die to save Iraqis even though they have no reason to be there. Yep those humanitarians piss me off too.

As for the movie, it doesn't have much credibility if it isn't an american or Iraqi film.

Soth
Originally posted by Rapscallion

Hate america for what? I can understand if they hate the current administration. God knows I hate it too. But you can't seriously believe that most Iraqis hate americans. What would they hate them for? Liberating them from one of the most horrific dictators in the past 40 years? OR do they hate americans for helping them set up a democratic government? Or do they hate the american soldiers who trained their police and army so they can protect themselves instead of having to have America protect them? Or do they hate american soldiers for dying to save their country? Jesus can you believe the nerve of some people? They're willing to die to save Iraqis even though they have no reason to be there. Yep those humanitarians piss me off too.

As for the movie, it doesn't have much credibility if it isn't an american or Iraqi film. I never mentioned Michael Moore, nor was I referencing him at all, those were my opinions.

In response to the rest of your post. . .

You're correct that I shouldn't be generalizing. When I said that the Iraqis hate America, I should have been specific. Yes, the citizens of Iraq don't hate the United States, or Americans, but they have no reason to love the Bush Administration. But, a valid point would be that we live in a representative democratic republic, so therefore it's a synecdoche: Bush is the current face of the United States. So by extension, the Iraqis aren't too happy with us right now either.

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by Rapscallion

As for the movie, it doesn't have much credibility if it isn't an american or Iraqi film.

I bet you'd be happy too if some country invaded America, abducted citizens, including your family members, captured government officials, and tortured them all, all in the name of liberating America from the Bush Administration.

I can't believe you idiots swallow that bush propaganda splooge. He lied to your faces about weapons of mass destruction and you still accept what he says as truth? How many times is he going to use September 11th as an excuse for invading the wrong ****ing country?

Pertaining to the movie, even if it is anti-american, americans can't say they've never made a movie that's anti-every-friggin-other-country-in-the-world.

Punker69
This should be moved to the General discussion forum. No real discussion of the movie is taking place.

Darkman87
Originally posted by Punker69
This should be moved to the General discussion forum. No real discussion of the movie is taking place.

I thought that would be wrong before writing in here. Whatever! I ask for their opinion of the movie if they have seen it.

By the way, if someone needs pics of this movie, I have got plenty of it. I would love to see that opinions about the movie more than the comments of Iraq war. Thanks for your concern. As I said, if you need pics, write it down. I will take care of it.

Rapscallion
Originally posted by Soth
I never mentioned Michael Moore, nor was I referencing him at all, those were my opinions.

In response to the rest of your post. . .

You're correct that I shouldn't be generalizing. When I said that the Iraqis hate America, I should have been specific. Yes, the citizens of Iraq don't hate the United States, or Americans, but they have no reason to love the Bush Administration. But, a valid point would be that we live in a representative democratic republic, so therefore it's a synecdoche: Bush is the current face of the United States. So by extension, the Iraqis aren't too happy with us right now either.

I apologize about the comment about Michael Moore that was a little uncalled for. It's just that since most of the people I argue with about this is are still in high school (myself included) most arguments that people have against Bush come from watching Farenheit 9/11 because no one gets involved enough to watch the news or read the paper. Sorry again, I'm just used to arguing with people who don't actually pay attention to politics. I agree with the rest of your post.

Rapscallion
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak
I bet you'd be happy too if some country invaded America, abducted citizens, including your family members, captured government officials, and tortured them all, all in the name of liberating America from the Bush Administration.

I can't believe you idiots swallow that bush propaganda splooge. He lied to your faces about weapons of mass destruction and you still accept what he says as truth? How many times is he going to use September 11th as an excuse for invading the wrong ****ing country?

Pertaining to the movie, even if it is anti-american, americans can't say they've never made a movie that's anti-every-friggin-other-country-in-the-world.

First off, George Bush, stupid though he may be, is not a dictator. If Saddam Hussein was may president, I would want someone to intervene and kick him out. Capturing government officials? Well yeah, duh. What else would you call Saddam Hussien? As for the torturing them all, that's just a flat out lie and you know it. I can tell by your post that you're not stupid so why do you have to ignore your own intelligence and insult mine by saying some stupid bulsh*t that you just made up? Most Iraqi officials were not tortured. Some were, but most were not. Obviously even if only one out 1000 people were tortured, it's still an atrocity, but you don't have to make up lies to make a point. Just tell the truth.

As for paragraph two of your response, never did I once mention that there were WMD's. I know there weren't any. I didn't buy into W's Bs, I'm democrat for christ's sake. Just because I'm liberal doesn't mean I have to fall into the stereotype of being anti american. Most liberals are patriotic. But it seems that if anyone even suggests that they love their country (God forbid, not that) they get labeled as a stereotypical Bush-loving conservative. Never once did I ever justify Bush's excuse of 9/11 for invading Iraq. All I did was voice my support for the our soldiers who were lied to just as much as we were, and are giving their lives to try to form a stronger nation. You should be embarassed that you can't respect what U.S. and Iraqi soldiers are going through enough to do the same.

Oh and I'm not an idiot either stick out tongue

Arachnoidfreak
AHAR! Surprise! I'm conversing with someone with at least some sense.

I support our troops whole heartedly, they are only taking orders, and I didnt realize that being anti-american was the stereotype for american liberals theses days, I'm sure its just anti-republicans...

Still, the quote of yours i first responded to stands. Iraqis are human beings, they generalize just as much as Americans. I know you understand that there is wrongful hatred against all muslims, even ones who arent extremist and just live there lives. Do you think Iraqi citizens, who DO get their homes invaded and sometimes abducted into prisons 'in the name of liberty', don't hate all americans? When a child is at home and american soldiers kick down the door and take their father away because his second cousin was rumored to have a tie with an extremist group, what is that child going to grow up to think? Americans just abducted his father, of course he's going to hate Americans. How do you really think American soldiers perform their searches for the "rebels"?

In your post you made it sounds like America is the hero. No, America is the invading country. If we were at war with Saudi Arabia orAfghanistan, because those two countries bred most of the terrorists for the attack on 9-11, then my mouth would be shut and I wouldn't be spewing a word against it.

Can't blame the soldiers though, they take their orders from the top. And you know the torture thing is not a lie, true it didnt happen to Iraqi officials, but hundreds of citizens are tortured. I know you know about the new Abu Ghraib photos.

Besides, if Iraqis truly wanted freedom and where willing to do anything for it, they should have revolted. Viva la revolucion. Throughout history it's the basis for the destruction of corrupt government and creation of new government.

Rapscallion
O.k. I guess I agree with you in regards to some iraqi citizens hate americans due to specefic personal reasons, but I still find it hard to belive that the majority of Iraqis hate americans. I guess I'm pretty biased though or may be hesitent to except the truth if it is indeed the truth. i guess the only way we can know would be if we were there and experienced first hand the situation. And frankly i'd rather not so speculate I must.

I didn't mean to say that America is the hero. that said I still think we should respect and honor what americans (or most of them) are doing to help iraq even if the idea is pretty gung ho on the part of George W.

I do however disagree about what you said about Iraqis having a revolution if they wanted to be free. You make it sound kind of like they want to be opressed. Starting a revolution takes immense planning, time, and immeasurable courage. Most revolutions that occur are many years in the making, often it takes several generations of bad rulers to stir the public into creating a successful coup. The french revolution, if I recall correctly, took 2 or 3 generations of poor decisions by kings in France to destroy the economy and begin the rebellion, and during the course of the rebellion, 5 differnt regimes took power at some point or another. The Russian revolution occurred very quickly, but it had the help of WWI ruining the economy and Rasputen corrupting the Queen in the king's absence, otherwise it probably would never have happened at all. In Zair, the dictator Mobutu took power and killed those who refused to change there names from christian to traditional african names and change their religion as well. this led to a near genocidal situation, but it took 37 years (1960-1997) before he was overthrown, and the situation was much worse there than it is in Iraq so there was more motivation to rebel.Although this doesn't mean that Iraqis were satisfied with their lives, they just were just satisfied enough to not risk their lives. Iraqis may not have rebelled due to fear. With mass killings and people not knowing if they would get support from others if they opposed the government, it wouldn't make sense for an Iraqi to oppose the government because they probably didn't think they would accomplish anything. Also, with most of the wealth belonging to a corrupt regime, there would be no way to organise the revolution or buy by the necessary weapons to defeat the army. I think it is safe to say that Iraqis do want to be free, but would not have necessarily chosen this method of achieving it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.