Today, Feb. 19, 2006, I have decided to cryopreserve my body immediately upon death.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
Vefore making my set in stone, final decision, I've done my extensive research on the matter and it's what I will do.

Koala MeatPie
I was thinking of doing the same thing, But you see...

No matter how your freeze your body, The Waterinside your cells Freeze, and expands, apon defrosting, the cells break.

In a thousand years when they found the cure for cancer AIDS and whatever. (Actually, I beleive they already foudna cure for AIDS, And Cancer cures already do exist just no in western Medicine)

In a thousand years when they found the cure for cancer AIDS and whatever, they will realse that all theos people frozen so long ago have gone to waste.

Reason when Mamoths And icemen Are preserved... Well... Not much (if anything) of tehre internal organs are left intact.

Makedde
What the hell??

Koala MeatPie

Makedde
^I didn't know he meant freezing, I thought he wanted his body in a tomb or something.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
I was thinking of doing the same thing, But you see...

No matter how your freeze your body, The Waterinside your cells Freeze, and expands, apon defrosting, the cells break.

In a thousand years when they found the cure for cancer AIDS and whatever. (Actually, I beleive they already foudna cure for AIDS, And Cancer cures already do exist just no in western Medicine)

In a thousand years when they found the cure for cancer AIDS and whatever, they will realse that all theos people frozen so long ago have gone to waste.

Reason when Mamoths And icemen Are preserved... Well... Not much (if anything) of tehre internal organs are left intact.

Yes, but it's believe that in the future, through bio-molecular nanotechnology, that the problem with the expansion of defrosted cells upon the reanimation of a patient, will likely and easily be solved by then.

Koala MeatPie
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Yes, but it's believe that in the future, through bio-molecular nanotechnology, that the problem with the expansion of defrosted cells upon the reanimation of a patient, will likely and easily be solved by then.

You do realise that term has been Invented even before the technology to do what is suggests exist.

Here is A term For you:

Bio Cranial Cross Nano Examination.
In the future We will be able to cure the mentally with Nano Bots.
Oh and by the year 2000 we will be all in hovercars.

What was it they said a few years ago? OH YES! :
"Cloning will solve almost all life's problems"

When the body has been frozen, the damage has already been done.
The cells have already been stretched and ruptured.
The Nanos will have to shrink, repair and reinforce each cell of the body.

IF that is ever possible, And even by the time it is "affordable" it will be worth much more then the 10,000$ it cost

Unless you wanted to be with with a bill apon you waking up, or become Bankrupt in the future!

Anyways, you will probably live to be 80, by then, Today's health and Bodly dammage will already be done, and all your youth is gone, and you are impotent.

Why do you want to be impotent in the future?

Old men will never be sexy.
Ever.

FistOfThe North
You do realise that term has been Invented even before the technology to do what is suggests exist.

Here is A term For you:

Bio Cranial Cross Nano Examination.
In the future We will be able to cure the mentally with Nano Bots.
Oh and by the year 2000 we will be all in hovercars.

What was it they said a few years ago? OH YES! :
"Cloning will solve almost all life's problems"

When the body has been frozen, the damage has already been done.
The cells have already been stretched and ruptured.
The Nanos will have to shrink, repair and reinforce each cell of the body.

IF that is ever possible, And even by the time it is "affordable" it will be worth much more then the 10,000$ it cost

Unless you wanted to be with with a bill apon you waking up, or become Bankrupt in the future!

Anyways, you will probably live to be 80, by then, Today's health and Bodly dammage will already be done, and all your youth is gone, and you are impotent.

Why do you want to be impotent in the future?

Old men will never be sexy.
Ever.

So what you're saying is I shouldn't do it then...

Nevermind
I wouldn't. I think the whole thing is pretty meaningless. I mean when you defrost all your friends and family will be gone, and what's the point of living a lonely existence. When the curtains close for me I'll bow out.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Nevermind
I wouldn't. I think the whole thing is pretty meaningless. I mean when you defrost all your friends and family will be gone, and what's the point of living a lonely existence. When the curtains close for me I'll bow out.

My friends and family will obviously be gone unless they decide to join me but how would it be meaningless? I think it'd be meaningful. I'll know about new technologies, sciences, trends, the arts, the ability to know what had happened since i went in and a million other things. And ill have my own life.

Meaningless would be to have you corpse buried for it to only be rotted away and eaten by maggots. At least with cryo there's some chance. And if i don't get reanimated, then just bury me..

My decision is set. I'm still in my 20's and have just over a half century left of life maybe. Hopefully cryo will be much more advanced at around 2050. I think it will. Either way, I'm excited as hell.

Mindship
The philosophy implied behind cryogenics is materialist-reductionistic: we are biological machines, nothing more, all you have to do is repair the broken parts and voila! brought back from the dead, all good as new.

Maybe.

Personally, I don't think so. I think this freezing thing is a stroke of marketing genius--21st century snake oil--that the gullible swallow hook, line and sinker. Freezing a frog--that wasn't dead--and thawing it out a few days later is a whole other ballgame. We don't know what damage--beyond our ability to detect--may have occured. And, it wasn't dead.

Even if we are no more than machines, dead is dead. They may clone/reintegrate a new body with your genetic blueprint, but You--the unique You who exists here and now--will be dead, dead and gone for a thousand years.

Hey, it's your money and it's a "free" country. Knock yerself out (no pun intended).

debbiejo
You're still just a dead body.........You're not comin back or anything........Oh, but go for it....why not, you'd be the topic of conversation at ThanksGiving and Christmas..

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Mindship
The philosophy implied behind cryogenics is materialist-reductionistic: we are biological machines, nothing more, all you have to do is repair the broken parts and voila! brought back from the dead, all good as new.

Maybe.

Personally, I don't think so. I think this freezing thing is a stroke of marketing genius--21st century snake oil--that the gullible swallow hook, line and sinker. Freezing a frog--that wasn't dead--and thawing it out a few days later is a whole other ballgame. We don't know what damage--beyond our ability to detect--may have occured. And, it wasn't dead.

Even if we are no more than machines, dead is dead. They may clone/reintegrate a new body with your genetic blueprint, but You--the unique You who exists here and now--will be dead, dead and gone for a thousand years.

Hey, it's your money and it's a "free" country. Knock yerself out (no pun intended).

In 1967, scientist froze an Earthworm using the cryo technique and it was to be reanimated exactly 10 years to the day in 1977. The worm was reanimated. The average life span of an Earthworm is no more than 6 years.

And it's not snake oil because there are only four clinics in the US. Mostly all persons working in cryo are not rich. I've never seen commercial or advertisements on it. It's a choice. A potentially valid one.

Most Scientists believe Cryogenics can be considered as an official science.

And as for death.. Death is a process. Your body does not shut down all at once. Once your heart stops, your considered dead clinically but physically all your organs do not shut down simultaneously. So in actuality, your not all dead.

There'll be a "stand by" team in the hospital that will wait for my heart to stop and immediately start the cardiopulmonary support process along with the cooling of my body with my still active organs including my brain, still working. Then I will be cryopreserved.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by debbiejo
You're still just a dead body.........You're not comin back or anything........Oh, but go for it....why not, you'd be the topic of conversation at ThanksGiving and Christmas..

Like I said your your encased, the majority or probably all your organs are still fresh and active. And to say "Your not coming back from anything" is supportive but how many people have been resuscitated after their heart has stopped for even up to 5 mins. It has happened.

haha how about this, you bury your corpse 6 ft deep underground forever and become maggot food and I'll take my chances with cryo. Chances? What chances...lol what have I got to lose.

I'm so gonna do it.

debbiejo
You're personality won't come back though...you'd just be a vegetable.

FistOfThe North
You're personality won't come back though...you'd just be a vegetable.

See there's no proof of that. it's an assumption.

Since the brain an all the materials that come with it like imprinted material on they way you were, how you acted, the physical mannerisms you had, memories, feeling and emotions you had, and so on and so fourth, these would be preserved as well. All your personality is is a biological imprint in your brain that you're born with. It's apart of your DNA/brain.

Mindship
If they get to you before you are truly dead, then there is some measure of hope. Medical science does get increasinlgy better at pulling people back from the brink. But dead--all dead, end of process--is dead.

History attests to how we think we have something all figured out, we try it, only to discover there are 10,001 other factors that we never considered, that we never even thought to consider.

Best of luck.

debbiejo
See there's no proof of that. it's an assumption.

Since the brain an all the materials that come with it like imprinted material on they way you were, how you acted, the physical mannerisms you had, memories, feeling and emotions you had, and so on and so fourth, these would be preserved as well. All your personality is is a biological imprint in your brain that you're born with. It's apart of your DNA/brain. But there is more to us then just brain materials. Other studies in science have experimented with these theories..

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Mindship
Best of luck.

Thanks, Mindship.

FistOfThe North
But there is more to us then just brain materials. Other studies in science have experimented with these theories..

I believe that in the future, in my lifetime, the ability to upload your mind, emotions, feelings, and the imprinted individual mentalities that people have will be uploadable via either a computer or some other form of technological mechanism. I truely do believe this.

Hit_and_Miss
Heres the kicker... How much is this going to cost you???

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
Heres the kicker... How much is this going to cost you???

Prices rage in between $20,000 and $200,000 depending on a bunch of this like how long you wanna stay under, for how many centuries, how grave your condition was after your heart stopped, all in which life insurance will fully cover. Surely anyone is able to collect this over a lifetime especially if your well off. Or receive contributions or have life insurance. Now this is including storing me, maintain me and finally resuscitating me sometime in distant future.

Since inflation will happen when I reanimate in the future, when I am resuscitated, everything would be paid off through a life insurance payment program especially provided by the clinics for cryogenic patients.

Another payment option is for your relatives in the future, who may be eager to see you, who'd pay for any remaining cost. And if you didn't plan to get life insurance when you were younger then i guess you'll owe the clinic. You'd have to get a job and marketable skills really quick that i bet can be uploaded into your neurosis, and until you get a spot of your own you'd stay with a currently unborn relatives' great-grand children, who knows..

I think it's inexpensive for a project like this.

Hit_and_Miss
erm... have you actually got the life insurance people to agree to pay for this??? I can't believe they would....

powerfulone1987
Seems like it's more trouble than it's worth.

I'd be terrified to wake up in the distant future, not knowing where to start or anything.

And not knowing how this new world functioned. And how good a quality of life would you have if you awaken still as old as you were back then? How good of a job would one be able to get?

And how many more years would you actually have to live until you die again? Not many.

is it comprehensible.....

Koala MeatPie
And by then overpopulaion would be an evern bigger problem then today, not to mention the bad quality of earth, new bacterii / viri that youa re un protected from, much stronger strain of the common cold and we might have moved off to another planet if we are not all dead.

Morning_Glory
Vefore making my set in stone, final decision, I've done my extensive research on the matter and it's what I will do.

thats nice

Inspectah Deck

Did you get shot?

Originally posted by Makedde
^I didn't know he meant freezing, I thought he wanted his body in a tomb or something.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

FistOfThe North
And by then overpopulaion would be an evern bigger problem then today, not to mention the bad quality of earth, new bacterii / viri that youa re un protected from, much stronger strain of the common cold and we might have moved off to another planet if we are not all dead.

Or the opposite. But who knows right?

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
Did you get shot?

Shot? You mean like with a gun? Nnooo......? why..

I don't what you mean but I If I were killed, died in a fatal accident or from a horrible disease, cryo wouldn't work.

mysterio69
walt disney is frozen. when they find the cure for cancer, he's gonna thaw and f*ck some stupid ass motherf*ckers up.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by mysterio69
walt disney is frozen. when they find the cure for cancer, he's gonna thaw and f*ck some stupid ass motherf*ckers up.

I thought the same thing too but it has been officially known that Walt Disney is not being cryopreserved. I've researched it.

Inspectah Deck
Shot? You mean like with a gun? Nnooo......? why..

I don't what you mean but I If I were killed, died in a fatal accident or from a horrible disease, cryo wouldn't work.

Why wouldn't it help?

FistOfThe North
Why wouldn't it help?

No, it wouldn't help. I'd have to die a natural death in order for the cryo process to achieve maximum efficiency.

Inspectah Deck
Like a disease?

FistOfThe North
Like a disease?

Yeah,.. your last 3 posts have severely confused me. Either you're in the wrong thread or you need to go here...

http://alcor.org/AboutCryonics/index.html

Inspectah Deck
Yeah,.. your last 3 posts have severely confused me. Either you're in the wrong thread or you need to go here...

http://alcor.org/AboutCryonics/index.html

laughing out loud I wanted to know how come if you got shot you can't be frozen

No complications

FistOfThe North
laughing out loud I wanted to know how come if you got shot you can't be frozen

No complications

The only way for cryopreservation to work effectively is if the body is actually taken into the clinic right after natural death, like say at a hospital, so that the process of encasing your still fresh body will, in the future, have a higher chance of resuscitation. Being reanimated can occur more assuredly if there are fewer illnesses or trauma for future cryogenists to deal with. And since predicting when you'll get shot is not in the area of expertise for cryogenists, and that's not taking into account when you'll be found if your shot to death, the time of death and when you were brought into the "ICU" (Intensive Care Unit)'s trauma section.

But if you were shot dead and found and taken to a nearby local hospital and if you had a "stand by" team ready to take your recently deceased body then chances are you could become a cryo patient.

I'm sure in the future advanced scientific doctors and/or sophisticated delicate mechanisms would be able to use bio-molecular nanotechnology on your gunshot wound and have you as good as new, just before they reanimate you of course.

So yes. it may be possible to get shot to death and be cryopresevred, but only under the right circumstances.

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by mysterio69

reminds me of futurama

Walt Disney is thawed from his chamber and gets out and says "Are all the Jews dead yet?!"
"No"
He then slams the door shut and freezes himself again

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
reminds me of futurama

Walt Disney is thawed from his chamber and gets out and says "Are all the Jews dead yet?!"
"No"
He then slams the door shut and freezes himself again

lol

Inspectah Deck
The only way for cryopreservation to work effectively is if the body is actually taken into the clinic right after natural death, like say at a hospital, so that the process of encasing your still fresh body will, in the future, have a higher chance of resuscitation. Being reanimated can occur more assuredly if there are fewer illnesses or trauma for future cryogenists to deal with. And since predicting when you'll get shot is not in the area of expertise for cryogenists, and that's not taking into account when you'll be found if your shot to death, the time of death and when you were brought into the "ICU" (Intensive Care Unit)'s trauma section.

But if you were shot dead and found and taken to a nearby local hospital and if you had a "stand by" team ready to take your recently deceased body then chances are you could become a cryo patient.

I'm sure in the future advanced scientific doctors and/or sophisticated delicate mechanisms would be able to use bio-molecular nanotechnology on your gunshot wound and have you as good as new, just before they reanimate you of course.

So yes. it may be possible to get shot to death and be cryopresevred, but only under the right circumstances.

Alright, I understand smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.