Daredevil Comics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Scarecrow756
Hey guys I need some advice on what Daredevil comics to get because I am fairly new to the chracter, please could you help.

Black Adam
Well you can always start off with the frank Miller trades.

Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller vol 2 and 3.

I heard volume 1 is just frank Miller on artwork not writing.

Then there's Daredevil Born again trade. you can buy that over the internet. Maybe even your local comic shop if your lucky. One of the best DD trades out there. Or so I heard since I've never had the chance to read it or even buy itmad

Then there are the Bendis written trades.

Daredevil Volume 1 - "Guardian Devil"
Daredevil Volume 2 - "Parts of a Hole"
Daredevil Volume 3 - "Wake Up"
Daredevil Volume 4 - "Underboss"
Daredevil Volume 5 - "Out" & "Trial of the Century"
Daredevil Volume 6 - "Lowlife"
Daredevil Volume 7 - "Hardcore"
Daredevil Volume 8 - "Echo - Vision Quest"
Daredevil Volume 9 - "The King of Hell's Kitchen"
Daredevil Volume 10 - "The Widow"
Daredevil Volume 11 - "Golden Age"
Daredevil Volume 12 - "Decalogue"

There all good. lot of talking and character and plot development. light on action but I still enjoy it.

They should still be sold at your local comic shop since there not that old. But you can buy them online as well.

I recommend those. But You should skip Echo vision quest. since DD is hardly in it and it was just about echo.

Daredevil Volume 2 - "Parts of a Hole" is where we first meet echo. Never really liked her but if you want to know more about her thats a good place to start.

A new team just started on the DD book with the latest issue. The art doesn't seem so dark and inky as it was with the Malev on. and it looks like we may get a bit more action then we got with bendis.

Etrigan
Well, as Black Adam said, The Visionaries are a very good place to start. All 3 volumes. Frank Miller. Excellent work.

Born Again. Another Frank Miller, but you may want to read some other stuff before getting into that. It's a bit heavy for a new DD reader.

The four DD Legends Volumes. That includes plenty of stuff on his origin. DD Yellow, Typhoid Mary, Born Again, and Man Without Fear. All good stuff.

Or Stan Lee's originals, but they are hard to get hands on.

roughrider
Of course, you have to understand - DD was considered a much-lower tier character, hard to seperate from Spider Man, until Frank Miller came on the title at the dawn of the 1980's. This is where he made his name, and DD became one of the most acclaimed and exciting reads for Marvel; the focus turned from colourful villans to regular street crime, and the Kingpin became his greatest enemy. Miller's Born Again storyline was his second stint, from 1985-86; the Kingpin found out DD's identity and destroyed his life. Miller was a giant in the industry by then, and wrapped the storyline just when he was releasing The Dark Knight Returns. That same year, he also did the DD graphic novel Love & War, about the Kingpin's wife falling into insanity. The team of Bendis & Maleev, just finishing now, have done the best work on this title since Frank Miller.

Knightfall93
that's dark... but if you're in the UK, Typhoid mary is currently in the Wolverine/ Deadpool comic and theres a fairly old DD issue in Mighty World of marvel each month...

ScarletSpider
Also, Daredevil 82 this month marks the start of Ed Brubaker's run, I'd highly recommend picking it up!

Scarecrow756
Thanks for your help. big grin

Knightfall93
Thanks for finding me these, Crow!

Etrigan
Originally posted by Knightfall93
that's dark... but if you're in the UK, Typhoid mary is currently in the Wolverine/ Deadpool comic and theres a fairly old DD issue in Mighty World of marvel each month...

They're taking him out of MWOM soon....

wuTa
Murdock Papers eek!

DarkCrawler
Brubaker rocks...

willRules
Daredevil guardian devil was amazing. I loved the art..................

Etrigan
The art is awesome, yes. But the plot? Good.... until they bunged in the final stroke of explanation for the terrible, supernatural things that have been going on.

God, what the hell.... Mysterio. What a quick, rushed, cliche way to end such a good book. It turned a clever, interesting story into a silly, unoriginal letdown.

ScarletSpider
Kind of like wussing out with Clayface at the end of Hush.

willRules
Originally posted by ScarletSpider
Kind of like wussing out with Clayface at the end of Hush.

Yeah, but I still really enjoyed Hush though. smile

Super Guy
I actually liked the Guardian devil ending. They finally had agood Mysterio story... and he died! w00t!

Doctor S.T.D.
Originally posted by roughrider
Of course, you have to understand - DD was considered a much-lower tier character, hard to seperate from Spider Man, until Frank Miller came on the title at the dawn of the 1980's. This is where he made his name, and DD became one of the most acclaimed and exciting reads for Marvel; the focus turned from colourful villans to regular street crime, and the Kingpin became his greatest enemy. Miller's Born Again storyline was his second stint, from 1985-86; the Kingpin found out DD's identity and destroyed his life. Miller was a giant in the industry by then, and wrapped the storyline just when he was releasing The Dark Knight Returns. That same year, he also did the DD graphic novel Love & War, about the Kingpin's wife falling into insanity. The team of Bendis & Maleev, just finishing now, have done the best work on this title since Frank Miller.

Although Ed Brubakers stint has kept the high standards consistent.

marvelprince
Yea I was a bit skeptical of how whether or not the book would remain good after Bendis and Maleev left but Bru was great on Batman imo and Lark has a nice gritty feel to his art too. They've managed to keep the book on a high standard

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Black Adam

Guardian Devil was written by Kevin Smith and illustarted by Joe Quesada. It was one of the stories that really got me into the DD character. Pretty good stuff.

Doctor S.T.D.
Originally posted by marvelprince
Yea I was a bit skeptical of how whether or not the book would remain good after Bendis and Maleev left but Bru was great on Batman imo and Lark has a nice gritty feel to his art too. They've managed to keep the book on a high standard

Bru's a real talent, his winter soldier and cap material is brilliant, and i thought his Authority arc wasn't bad.

Super Guy
Originally posted by Black Adam
Well you can always start off with the frank Miller trades.

Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller vol 2 and 3.

I heard volume 1 is just frank Miller on artwork not writing.

Then there's Daredevil Born again trade. you can buy that over the internet. Maybe even your local comic shop if your lucky. One of the best DD trades out there. Or so I heard since I've never had the chance to read it or even buy itmad

Daredevil Volume 2 - "Parts of a Hole"
Daredevil Volume 3 - "Wake Up"
Daredevil Volume 4 - "Underboss"
Daredevil Volume 5 - "Out" & "Trial of the Century"
Daredevil Volume 6 - "Lowlife"
Daredevil Volume 7 - "Hardcore"
Daredevil Volume 8 - "Echo - Vision Quest"
Daredevil Volume 9 - "The King of Hell's Kitchen"
Daredevil Volume 10 - "The Widow"
Daredevil Volume 11 - "Golden Age"
Daredevil Volume 12 - "Decalogue"

There all good. lot of talking and character and plot development. light on action but I still enjoy it.

They should still be sold at your local comic shop since there not that old. But you can buy them online as well.

I recommend those. But You should skip Echo vision quest. since DD is hardly in it and it was just about echo.

Daredevil Volume 2 - "Parts of a Hole" is where we first meet echo. Never really liked her but if you want to know more about her thats a good place to start.

A new team just started on the DD book with the latest issue. The art doesn't seem so dark and inky as it was with the Malev on. and it looks like we may get a bit more action then we got with bendis. When you say Bendis trades, that's mislerading- that's all of DD volume 2, not the Bendis stuff. Kevin Smith wrote Guardian Devil and david Mack wrote Parts of a Hole and echo- Vision Quest. Also, now out are the Murdock Papers (Bendis' last arc) and the Devil, Inside and Out (brubaker's first) in TPB format...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.