Coded Speak - The New PC?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PVS
-I'm sure not all homosexuals are peadophiles, but you cant deny that when a man rapes a little boy, he's a homosexual. (homosexuality and peadophilia are directly linked)

-many people died during ww2, jews were a fraction. im not denying that many were killed. (the jews were never systematically killed, they were just casualties of war)

-many blacks are decent people, but just look at them all looting and killing after katrina. they were out of control and i support the decision to shoot first and ask questions later. (black people who are not obedient should be shot, white people who have committed the same crime were simply 'looking for food')

im talking about coded speak. a recent mutation of the dreaded PC, which the right claims to never use, and is soley a tool of the left. but is it? i have found in reading and listening to those of the extreme right, that they weild the art of PC like a samurai master weilds a katana. a tool which allows them to not directly admit their beliefs, but at the same time not deny them in the least.

i find that when the left decides upon PC terms, its just that. terms. no hidden meaning, but rather a dillusion of true meaning. a clumsy attempt to sophisticate our terminology, when in fact it only tends to delete any meaning from the subject of the term. of coarse i refer to the ridiculous side of PC. the side which calls black people "african american" when i have yet to meet a single black person who is offended or affected in any way by being called "black". but is there really a change in message behind these terms? or just a load of unnecessary syllables and hyphens? its annoying, but i honestly dont feel threatened by this manner of control.

what prompted me to make this thread was a budding off-topic debate on mel gibson in the holocaust denier thread. mel weilds PC in a way which allows him to dodge the question of "do you believe the holocaust was real?" and escape without a scratch. (response was similar to the above paraphrased example).

i have seen a growing trend in coded speak over recent years. it seems commonplace in debates over homosexuality, terrorism, racism, and all other hot button issues. seek and ye shall find.

anyone care to elaborate/confirm/deny my observation?

soleran30
Coded speak has always been around and all sides use it liberally.

This is my largest concern with media yesterday, today and tomorrow. You need a PHD to understand and pick it apart as all media has an agenda.

Quiero Mota
I really don't think it matters; we all know what they mean. Its just like calling marijuana "weed" or "bud". Slang would be a fitting word for PC, but its slightly more "sophisticated" slang.

Fishy
Perhaps but at least now they can deny ever saying it, and they can say it without pissing so many people off.

But Soleran is right on the first part, coded speak has always been going with popular people and or politics, they need to talk like that to make sure they don't piss anybody off.

Mindship
Wouldn't the term "coded speak" be coded speak?

PVS
ummm....no

thx

Capt_Fantastic
I'm guessing you are talking about speaking out both sides of the mouth to a certain issue. Like insulting with a compliment.

I think it's human nature. Or at least the human nature involved with people who are a little more eager to be accepted. If you don't give a definite answer, you can defend or debate the merrits of your contribution to the conversation.

It's like saying: "I'm not a bad guy, I know lots of gays...I just think it's a sin and they will die repeadedly and forever in the fires of hell....but I don't have anything against them....so you can't call me anti gay or a homophobe" or the whole :I f*cking hate gay pride parades, why do they have to be so "in your face" about their sexuality?...I don't have a problem with queers, I just don't want to see them walking down the street like I HAVE to look at them" Well, most people here know I disagree with pride parades, but I undersatand the reason for them. If you don't wanna see them, then treat us like equal PEOPLE!

This is one reason I gravitate towards people who say what they think. Even the people I despise because of their POV, I appreciate more than the person who gives two answers to one question.

As for political correctness, it is a terrible result of a good effort. It's an example of good try, bad execution. The integration of society isn't going to come about due to changing the language we use to speak to each other, it will come from being educated to teh point where we no longer used certain words. There's no need to change the word 'n*gger' to "african american", when the person using it says it and thinks it with such disdain.

Sir Whirlysplat
I think PVS means "spin"

PVS
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
I think PVS means "spin"

no i dont mean spin. i mean pretty much what capt fantastic described.
disguising one's true opinion and encoding it within your speaking, leaving the conclusion to be made by the listener. kind of an intuitive baiting for like minds,
while trying to stay under the radar of your opponents.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by PVS
no i dont mean spin. i mean pretty much what capt fantastic described.
disguising one's true opinion and encoding it within your speaking, leaving the conclusion to be made by the listener. kind of an intuitive baiting for like minds,
while trying to stay under the radar of your opponents.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with this, it seems a bit far fetched, what sort of person would do that? confused

PVS
did you even read the initial post?

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by PVS
did you even read the initial post?

? This seems silly confused Yes!

Sir Whirlysplat
Actually I agree totally with PVS. Coded speak is a bit like subtle flaming I guess!

PVS
at kmc, yes. but it goes far beyond simple internet debates.
its pretty much become protocol among those who's agenda is viewed
by the majority as less than savory. a way to influence those who you wish
to influence and dodge a question simultainiously.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
Actually I agree totally with PVS. Coded speak is a bit like subtle flaming I guess!

I think he's talking about political correctness being used by people who don't subscribe to the idea of political correctness....A form of stating your disdain without pulling a kidrock and saying that blacks are stupid or something.

PVS
and capt, i found your example to be the best one. i wish i thought of it.

and just so you know, i admire and respect you. so it pains me to know that baby jesus will cast you down into the fires of hell for all eternity.

which brings about the factor i left out. false sentiment. "my heart goes out to all the african american victims of katrina...but...(see initial example)" things of this nature

Capt_Fantastic
Indeed, you are right. False sentiment, however, is something that I don't really get sick over. I don't do it myself, but I accept others do. False sentiment is almost an American way of life, and has been for some time. It's so deep rooted that people are actually expected to display it in regards to anything bad. I think that also lends itself to people being so self assured that they will recieve that false sentiment, that they post crap simply to get it. I broke up with my boyfriend, I lost a distant relative in a car accident, this guy at school is dying of cancer. Look, people, I hate it for you, but no one honestly cares.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by PVS
so it pains me to know that baby jesus will cast you down into the fires of hell for all eternity.

If that is the baby jesus' will, then I was never going to escape that fate.

PVS
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Indeed, you are right. False sentiment, however, is something that I don't really get sick over. I don't do it myself, but I accept others do. False sentiment is almost an American way of life, and has been for some time. It's so deep rooted that people are actually expected to display it in regards to anything bad. I think that also lends itself to people being so self assured that they will recieve that false sentiment, that they post crap simply to get it. I broke up with my boyfriend, I lost a distant relative in a car accident, this guy at school is dying of cancer. Look, people, I hate it for you, but no one honestly cares.

well, im just pointing out part of the method. placate and console the opposition while driving a knife through their back.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by PVS
at kmc, yes. but it goes far beyond simple internet debates.
its pretty much become protocol among those who's agenda is viewed
by the majority as less than savory. a way to influence those who you wish
to influence and dodge a question simultainiously.

I agree with this also, your Mel Gibson example was pretty good

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by PVS
well, im just pointing out part of the method. placate and console the opposition while driving a knife through their back.

I understand. I'm simply saying that it goes beyond the motivation for some, and influences the posting habits of other members.

jaden101
i can see what you're getting at...but then if you use

"a large number of arfican americans are incarcerated for criminal activities"

you dont get banned from the forum

but if you use

"i think ******* are ****ing criminal bastards who need locking up"

then you would get banned

the media are obviously the biggest users of this coded language but i dont think its about hiding an opinion...the fact is that media outlets DO recieve huge numbers of complaints about using inappropriate terminology in print or in broadcasting...i guess they are just covering their backs

PVS
Originally posted by jaden101
i can see what you're getting at...but then if you use

"a large number of arfican americans are incarcerated for criminal activities"

you dont get banned from the forum

but if you use

"i think ******* are ****ing criminal bastards who need locking up"

then you would get banned

the media are obviously the biggest users of this coded language but i dont think its about hiding an opinion...the fact is that media outlets DO recieve huge numbers of complaints about using inappropriate terminology in print or in broadcasting...i guess they are just covering their backs

all i see the use and lack of racial slurs.
i miss your point

Capt_Fantastic
I think that would address the intent behind pointing out that opinion/fact

jaden101
Originally posted by PVS

i miss your point

you invariably do

which is the point...racial slurs are bannable....pc comments are generally not

is this the point at which you once again falsely accuse me of being a racist and begin a tirade of irrelevant abuse again?

PVS
you invariably do

which is the point...racial slurs are bannable....pc comments are generally not

is this the point at which you once again falsely accuse me of being a racist and begin a tirade of irrelevant abuse again?

abuse? man you are off your rocker today. you want a hug?

no, i will just point out the complete irrelevence of your statement. i know that such methods are used by the media, and you were barking up one of the right trees....but alas...swing and a miss.

and racial slurs are not bannable. you cant get arrested for calling someone a n**** in america. however, you're employer can be pressured into firing you.

jaden101
Originally posted by PVS
abuse? man you are off your rocker today. you want a hug?

no, i will just point out the complete irrelevence of your statement. i know that such methods are used by the media, and you were barking up one of the right trees....but alas...swing and a miss.

a hug?...yes please

so what would you prefer...that every goes back to the "good ol' days" of calling a spade a spade?

i do get your point about the terms used by people...particularly the one about substituting the word "black" for anything and everything else

i don't know how bad it gets in the US but in the UK they have gone to silly extremes...no longer using the term blackboard but instead "chalkboard"

kids no longer singing the nursery ryhme "baa baa black sheep"

the word christmas being erradicated from government issued Christmas cards...instead "seasons greetings" and "winter festival" being used

as for on KMC...i imagine people use it to prevent being banned as i've said.

but it seems you're laying out a catch 22 situation...people using the term "african american" to hide their racism...perhaps in some contexts but i dont think it can be a blanket statement

the fact is that there aren't many non black people who could use the word "******" without coming across as racist whether they meant to be or not...

PVS

as for on KMC...i imagine people use it to prevent being banned as i've said.

but it seems you're laying out a catch 22 situation...people using the term "african american" to hide their racism...perhaps in some contexts but i dont think it can be a blanket statement

the fact is that there aren't many non black people who could use the word "******" without coming across as racist whether they meant to be or not...

why would someone be banned from kmc for being a racist? i have yet to see that happen. *checks kidrocks profile* yup, still here. why? because he consciously avoids typing racial slurs in his many troll posts.
you dont have to use the n- word to type hate speech.
watch:

"all african americans are criminals and should be locked up"

see? thats hate speech lacking any racial slurs. in fact that would kinda be PC hate speech...in a sense.
but dont we digress? the topic is not of words, but of a manner
in appealing to those with like minds while avoiding the scrutiny of
the opposition. consciously disguising the true meaning of what you say,
and leave the baiting conclusion to be taken.

Capt_Fantastic
so what would you prefer...that every goes back to the "good ol' days" of calling a spade a spade?

Yes, and no. At least, in my opinion. If a spade is a black man, rather than an african american, then a spade IS a spade. If a spade is a well placed hypocritical comment, yes. Say what you think, the way you think. It would make cleaning house here on teh forums a lot more black and white process for the mods. And, when you get right down to it, that's a big part of this behavior. People don't want to get banned for writing exactly what they think, so they spice it with a measure of political correctness and sell it as a relevant opinion that should be considered on the same level as any other.

Hiding your opinion behind political correctness is the central issue here, not calling a black guy a ****** or a gay man a ******.

jaden101
Originally posted by PVS
why would someone be banned from kmc for being a racist? i have yet to see that happen. *checks kidrocks profile* yup, still here. why? because he consciously avoids typing racial slurs in his many troll posts.
you dont have to use the n- word to type hate speech.
watch:

"all african americans are criminals and should be locked up"

see? thats hate speech lacking any racial slurs. in fact that would kinda be PC hate speech...in a sense.
but dont we digress? the topic is not of words, but of a manner
in appealing to those with like minds while avoiding the scrutiny of
the opposition. consciously disguising the true meaning of what you say,
and leave the baiting conclusion to be taken.

i know what you mean but the fact is that people are entitled to their opinion and the means to express that opinion

as for kidrock...i never know whether or not to take him seriously...the trolling seems to be designed to get a response more than to put across an opinion on something

there are perfectly valid opinions and concerns about issues such as immigration, gay marriage or adoption that people should be allowed to give without allegations of xenophobia or homophobia

thats said...there some people with offensive opinions who do try to disguise it...so i do agree with that...but i'm asking what you think should be done about it...

notice capt_fantastic's post has words censored...that shows a reason why, at least on KMC, people deliberately dont use those words

what if right now i was to type **** **** ****** ***** ******* ****** kyke wop slanty eyed retard bastard shit

thats why kidrock cant give his real opinion wink

PVS
thats said...there some people with offensive opinions who do try to disguise it...so i do agree with that...but i'm asking what you think should be done about it...

it should be recognised. simple as that.

Fishy
But thats the entire reason they do it, to not get recognized... Besides jus tthink of how bad a government would be if they would say what they thought. You would have about half a million political party's, each with a small part in the senate, and the guy with 200 votes or more would be president. It simply doesn't work... Although it would be nice if it did.

Victor Von Doom
A similar phenomenon to damning with faint praise, I think.

'He's a good little writer', (He's actually quite shit, but decent for an idiot)

'He's honest and hard-working', (Idiotic but will do what you say).

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Coded speech seems to me to be the same as an insinuation. Both imply something indirectly - and often derogatory - without stating it explicitly.

BackFire
In other words, it's cowardly.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
It can be cowardly, but it can also be an art.

BackFire
Cowardly art.

Mindship
Originally posted by PVS
...placate and console the opposition while driving a knife through their back.

I dont think it's always that intense; but nicely phrased, nonetheless.

Mindship
Originally posted by BackFire
Cowardly art.

Coded speak/insinuation involves knowing how people think, react and communicate on a subtle level. It requires intelligence, gut feeling, and certainly the desire to use this power for evil.

It is sometimes cowardly. It is always an art.

BackFire
No it isn't. It's just insinuating something because you're too much of a pussy to say it bluntly. It doesn't require intelligence.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
In a world of with all the colors of the rainbow, saying things are either black or white disregards everything in between.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by BackFire
No it isn't. It's just insinuating something because you're too much of a pussy to say it bluntly. It doesn't require intelligence.

I think that is exactly the point.

Makedde
Originally posted by PVS
-I'm sure not all homosexuals are peadophiles, but you cant deny that when a man rapes a little boy, he's a homosexual. (homosexuality and peadophilia are directly linked)

Not true. So all the Catholic Priests who molest children must be homosexual then? Not true.

Homosexuals are attracted to men. Pedophiles are attracted to children, girls or boys. Homosexuals are NOT pedophiles, and pedophiles are NOT homosexuals.

RedAlertv2
I think you missed the point.

StyleTime
Originally posted by Makedde
Not true. So all the Catholic Priests who molest children must be homosexual then? Not true.

Homosexuals are attracted to men. Pedophiles are attracted to children, girls or boys. Homosexuals are NOT pedophiles, and pedophiles are NOT homosexuals.
Did you even read the first post?
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
I think you missed the point.
I think she did as well.

PVS

well...she's trying and we should commend her for that.

^^^^
see, thats not coded speak. thats tact and grace smile

Makedde
I read the first post. You say that all pedophiles are homosexuals. That's the same as saying that all homosexuals are pedophiles.

DiamondBullets
I read the first post. You say that all pedophiles are homosexuals. That's the same as saying that all homosexuals are pedophiles.

erm um......not really. I think he means that pedos don't really give a shit about the gender of their victim.

StyleTime
Originally posted by PVS

^^^^
True. True.

RedAlertv2

The thread isnt about pedophiles. That was an example of the form of PC that the thread is about

PVS

you read the first sentence and ran with it.
it was an example of coded speak. now go back and
read the post. contribute something relevant or please stfu.

Darth Jello
news media dictionary-
suspected gang member=n!gger
welfare mother=n3gress
east coast liberal=k!ke
illegal alien=sp!c
urban youth=p!caninny
suspected terrorist=towel-head

jaden101
Originally posted by PVS

^^^^

techincally it is coded speech

non coded speech would be

"poofs are not nonces and nonces are not poofs"

Makedde
Originally posted by PVS
you read the first sentence and ran with it.
it was an example of coded speak. now go back and
read the post. contribute something relevant or please stfu.

My apoligies, I did not know what this 'coded speak' was. I understand you now. smile

finti
yeah there are more and more so called coded speak, but it is more and more that look for so called coded speak when there is non as well. Meaning that in certain political discussions, at least here in Norway, debaters look for coded speak all the time in their opponents even if it is kind of straight forward arguments that are being raised.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by PVS

-many people died during ww2, jews were a fraction. im not denying that many were killed. (the jews were never systematically killed, they were just casualties of war)

-many blacks are decent people, but just look at them all looting and killing after katrina. they were out of control and i support the decision to shoot first and ask questions later. (black people who are not obedient should be shot, white people who have committed the same crime were simply 'looking for food')

im talking about coded speak. a recent mutation of the dreaded PC, which the right claims to never use, and is soley a tool of the left. but is it? i have found in reading and listening to those of the extreme right, that they weild the art of PC like a samurai master weilds a katana. a tool which allows them to not directly admit their beliefs, but at the same time not deny them in the least.

i find that when the left decides upon PC terms, its just that. terms. no hidden meaning, but rather a dillusion of true meaning. a clumsy attempt to sophisticate our terminology, when in fact it only tends to delete any meaning from the subject of the term. of coarse i refer to the ridiculous side of PC. the side which calls black people "african american" when i have yet to meet a single black person who is offended or affected in any way by being called "black". but is there really a change in message behind these terms? or just a load of unnecessary syllables and hyphens? its annoying, but i honestly dont feel threatened by this manner of control.

what prompted me to make this thread was a budding off-topic debate on mel gibson in the holocaust denier thread. mel weilds PC in a way which allows him to dodge the question of "do you believe the holocaust was real?" and escape without a scratch. (response was similar to the above paraphrased example).

i have seen a growing trend in coded speak over recent years. it seems commonplace in debates over homosexuality, terrorism, racism, and all other hot button issues. seek and ye shall find.

anyone care to elaborate/confirm/deny my observation? A decade and a half later, we have coded speak everywhere this thread was prophetic.13 years ago.

Bashar Teg
haha this pvs was almost on par with steve zodiac

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
haha this pvs was almost on par with steve zodiac yes he was Bash.

Bashar Teg
I had lurked stormfront and other racist forums back then, since a wise woman named shi-tzu once said 'know your enemy'. anyhoo I noticed that, almost overnight, they all stopped dropping n-bombs and other slurs. they would be like "what a beautiful culture" at an article/video of criminality involving black people. some would get too excited and let the slurs fly, but he would be quickly (yet gently) chided by his peers.

Putinbot1
I had lurked stormfront and other racist forums back then, since a wise woman named shi-tzu once said 'know your enemy'. anyhoo I noticed that, almost overnight, they all stopped dropping n-bombs and other slurs. they would be like "what a beautiful culture" at an article/video of criminality involving black people. some would get too excited and let the slurs fly, but he would be quickly (yet gently) chided by his peers. Yeah, I think the rest of us noticed a little later. How they had become far more insidious and far better at hiding in plain site. The coded speech they use now is clear to you and I, some people here still miss it I think.

BrolyBlack

Putinbot1

Bashar Teg
if you jumped into a time machine and told 2006 me about alt-right and incels, i wouldn't have known wtf you were talking about.

you'd have to first explain to me about the rebranding of fascism, and the formation of internet gangs of virgin terrorists. coded speak is everywhere.

Putinbot1
if you jumped into a time machine and told 2006 me about alt-right and incels, i wouldn't have known wtf you were talking about.

you'd have to first explain to me about the rebranding of fascism, and the formation of internet gangs of virgin terrorists. coded speak is everywhere. I don't disagree, the world went crazy somewhere in the last 13 years.

cdtm
Originally posted by Putinbot1
For a while I was the boards biggest Superman fan in many ways. Nowhere near Abhi' s level though.

Sweet.

Thank god Carver never comes in here, Superman is his trigger.

Surtur
I've always loved Superman, but I just don't wank him like the people do here. I gave up when they insisted he could defeat Silver Surfer.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by cdtm
Sweet.

Thank god Carver never comes in here, Superman is his trigger. haha. I don't read that many comics now sadly. Wish I had time.

Bashar Teg
notice who else was ahead of his time?

Originally posted by Soleran
Coded speak has always been around and all sides use it liberally.

This is my largest concern with media yesterday, today and tomorrow. You need a PHD to understand and pick it apart as all media has an agenda.

show respect, that's one of kmc's OGs (original gaslighters)

Putinbot1
notice who else was ahead of his time?

show respect, that's one of kmc's OGs (original gaslighters) Yup Snowdragon... sure had me fooled.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Surtur
I've always loved Superman, but I just don't wank him like the people do here. I gave up when they insisted he could defeat Silver Surfer. He'd lay Surfer out tbh.

Surtur
Originally posted by NemeBro
He'd lay Surfer out tbh.

Hey it's surely possible nowadays he could I have not been keeping up with him, his power levels could have increased. Pre Crisis Superman could slap him down, but these folk used to argue post crisis Superman could take him out. It's bunk.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Surtur
Hey it's surely possible nowadays he could I have not been keeping up with him, his power levels could have increased. Pre Crisis Superman could slap him down, but these folk used to argue post crisis Superman could take him out. It's bunk. Post crisis would too tbh.

Surtur
We can agree to disagree thumb up

Putinbot1
Originally posted by NemeBro
Post crisis would too tbh. Yeah in character he would. The truest line in comics is his dials go up to 11. Tbh that is the basis of SUPES, he will always be "1 louder". It's his real powerset.

Surtur
Yeah, kinda showing the problem with Superman fans here lol. His power is what the plot calls for, and you can't convince a fanboy otherwise.

Flyattractor
Lol!

R3ODk0_rA44

Surtur
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Lol!

R3ODk0_rA44

Yep I loved seeing the fired journalists get butthurt over people using the same shit they use to say to others who were fired: learn to code.

Bwhaha.

SquallX

Raptor22
Yeah in character he would. The truest line in comics is his dials go up to 11. Tbh that is the basis of SUPES, he will always be "1 louder". It's his real powerset. 1 louder? Why wouldn't u just make 10 a little louder and have that be the top number?

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Raptor22
1 louder? Why wouldn't u just make 10 a little louder and have that be the top number? Haha still a classic!

Raptor22
Haha still a classic! thumb up

Surtur

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.