Meeting a New Culture

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Let's say you win a free trip to some exotic place and you get lost during a touring trip...some natives rescue you and take you to their village. But you have the desire to know more about them. Language isn't a problem. Hand signs work fine but not in detail. Just basic communication.

The only catch in this scenerio is this....

...The tribe hasn't been discovered by the outside world. You're the first outsider to visit them. What would you like to learn about them?

Think it carefully and discuss. wink

Fishy
First the language, then the culture then history after that the rest.

Shakyamunison
I would just want to get home and then find the right people to contact about the discovery. It would be a hard choice to make; the wrong people could ruin these people's lives.

Eis
History and politics but voted history.

WrathfulDwarf
Good, good...but what about food? What if they offer you a meal. And you don't know what it is? Should you go ahead and eat it or say no? If you reject it because you find it gross...that could offend them. You don't want to do that...right?

Hit_and_Miss
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Hand signs work fine but not in detail. Just basic communication.

with that limitation you couldn't possibly learn half of that stuff off of them...

Fishy
Good, good...but what about food? What if they offer you a meal. And you don't know what it is? Should you go ahead and eat it or say no? If you reject it because you find it gross...that could offend them. You don't want to do that...right?

Thats why I would want to learn the language first stick out tongue

Otherwise I would just eat it. Ignorance is a bliss.

Grand Moff Gav
Politics. I dont want to make a mistake and insult the chief..

Fishy
Originally posted by Grand Moff Gav
Politics. I dont want to make a mistake and insult the chief..

Learning something as complicated as politisc without the language is damned hard.

Btw: many of those options are the same, you can not learn the cutlure without the politics the religion the war the food the art...

Alpha Centauri
I'd want to learn about them in general.

From the minor things like what they eat, how they hunt. To more critical aspects such as how they've survived undiscovered, what their mannerisms and customs are etc.

I'd not tell anyone.

-AC

Capt_Fantastic
Let's say you win a free trip to some exotic place and you get lost during a touring trip...some natives rescue you and take you to their village. But you have the desire to know more about them. Language isn't a problem. Hand signs work fine but not in detail. Just basic communication.

...The tribe hasn't been discovered by the outside world. You're the first outsider to visit them. What would you like to learn about them?

Well, considering that no one knows anything about these people, I would hesitate to eat too many of their foods. It might insult them, but I would restrict my food intake at first. Different cultures eat different foods and have developed different resistences to chemicals in nature. I would restrict my intake to meats and start off eating only small portions of their vegitation based dishes...at least until I knew how it would effect me.

But, in all honesty, if this scenario were real, I would likely not want to learn too much. I'd likely just get them to help me find my way back to modern civilization and leave them be.

Morgoths_Wrath
I'd be interested in their science and medicine

Inspectah Deck

Language first, food second and behavior third

Jedi Priestess
History

PVS
favorite sex positions...maybe we could learn something from them

Fire
I chose religion. In most 'undeveloped tribes' it is essential

Quiero Mota
I would teach them Spanish AND English, and want to learn about their religion.

Lana
I'd say language first - without that you'll not be able to learn anything else in any detail.

BackFire
Do the women like doggy style?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by BackFire
Do the women like doggy style?

erm good point.

KidRock
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Well, considering that no one knows anything about these people, I would hesitate to eat too many of their foods. It might insult them, but I would restrict my food intake at first. Different cultures eat different foods and have developed different resistences to chemicals in nature. I would restrict my intake to meats and start off eating only small portions of their vegitation based dishes...at least until I knew how it would effect me.

But, in all honesty, if this scenario were real, I would likely not want to learn too much. I'd likely just get them to help me find my way back to modern civilization and leave them be.

Make sure you dont sleep with the chiefs daughter either....or should I say son? laughing

WrathfulDwarf
Messing around with the tribe's women might get you in trouble....or might get you married. stick out tongue

Ya Krunk'd Floo
You can learn a lot about a culture from the food they eat, how they prepare it, and the circumstances relating to how they eat it. So, that'd be first, swiftly followed by a crash-course in the local lingo. 'Total Physical Response' only goes so far...

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by KidRock
Make sure you dont sleep with the chiefs daughter either....or should I say son? laughing

LOL!!!OWNEDPWNEDONE!!111!!!

You know, I have such low standards I'd sleep with an aboriginal tribesman on accident. I mean, it happens to me all! the! time! I'm forever just walking around sticking my dick in men on accident!
Hahahahahahaha

LOLPWNED!!!11ONE

dumbass. You know, if I'm lost in the wilderness, the first thing I need to do is secure myself a good piece of ass.

KidRock

You know, if I'm lost in the wilderness, the first thing I need to do is secure myself a good piece of ass.

Or just a big stick.

Capt_Fantastic
Or just a big stick.

Well, then let's hope we get lost in teh wilderness together, you ****ing stud.

KidRock
Well, then let's hope we get lost in teh wilderness together, you ****ing stud.

Get in line. I am beating gay men away with sticks daily. Damn savages, when will your kind learn?

Capt_Fantastic
Get in line. I am beating gay men away with sticks daily. Damn savages, when will your kind learn?

As soon as your kind are no longer around to teach us.

God! You're getting me so hot!

KidRock
As soon as your kind are no longer around to teach us.

God! You're getting me so hot!

Weird that I am making you hot because I am so 'cool'.

tada chhh

Also I am sorry mankind will always be around. Get use to our species or go back to gayland. smokin'

Capt_Fantastic
Weird that I am making you hot because I am so 'cool'.

tada chhh

Also I am sorry mankind will always be around. Get use to our species or go back to gayland. smokin'

Gayland? I am in gayland.

And you are cool...cool and smooth...like a fine lube.

uuummmm....mankind droolio

Quiero Mota

You know, I have such low standards I'd sleep with an aboriginal tribesman on accident. I mean, it happens to me all! the! time! I'm forever just walking around sticking my dick in men on accident!
Hahahahahahaha

laughing I believe you.

Just kidding no expression shifty

Inspectah Deck
I'm forever just walking around sticking my dick in men on accident!
Hahahahahahaha

LOLPWNED!!!11ONE

confused

KidRock
Gayland? I am in gayland.

And you are cool...cool and smooth...like a fine lube.

uuummmm....mankind droolio

Do gays actually believe the whole "lets hit on a straight man" technique actually works in trying to piss someone off? I just laugh my ass off when you throw one of those homo flirts at me because you believe it is bothering me. Keep going though, KidRock is amused. smokin'

Capt_Fantastic
Do gays actually believe the whole "lets hit on a straight man" technique actually works in trying to piss someone off? I just laugh my ass off when you throw one of those homo flirts at me because you believe it is bothering me. Keep going though, KidRock is amused. smokin'

Well, one has to wonder why you're always the one starting with me. I mean, I'm not the one who picks out a totally inane post and turns it into homo crap. You are. I don't think I mentioned sex at all in my first post in this thread. You seek me out stud, remember?

Do I think it pisses you off? Frankly, no. But, that would imply giving a shit about you in the first place.

Remember, I'm not the one turning my posts into something sexual. You are. Every statement I make doesn't have to do with gay sex or men. You turn it into that. And, you know, that's cool. If that's the only way you know how to deal with a gay man...that's your thing. But, I admit some measure of responsability. I use all your posts to illustrate how backwards and inbreed you are...so..

*** for tat... If you don't wanna hear my responses to your jack ass posts, then don't make jack ass posts. I'll go on about my life pretending you don't exist. I'm just fulfilling the stereotype you have in your head....but you are the one providing the opprotunity to do so.

Quiero Mota
Well, one has to wonder why you're always the one starting with me. I mean, I'm not the one who picks out a totally inane post and turns it into homo crap. You are. I don't think I mentioned sex at all in my first post in this thread.

Remember, I'm not the one turning my posts into something sexual. You are. Every statement I make doesn't have to do with gay sex or men. You turn it into that.

He has a point, Kidrock. You came out of no where and completely unprovoked, said that he would f*ck the chief's son.

Why do you start shit for, homes? What gives?

Imperial_Samura
Sounds like a dream come true. I think I could happily stay in such a place for a long time learning about them, though being careful I didn't pollute their culture.

First I would learn their language. Not teach them mine, learn their's. Language, and it's evolution, is very important in understanding anthropological evolution, and when a people can talk to each other, have a common ground, it's very good.

Then I would concentrate on learning the things that would let me be there without causing offense, and allow me to fit in, like social behavior, hunting etc and food. I'd like to be useful, and these could be quite important parts of their society, and really break down barriers between them and I.

After that I would be able to delve into academia and intellectual pursuits (my passions) - politics, history religion and art. Important parts of any culture, and important to understanding them, but at first not quite as useful to an outsider as the others tasks. Especially if this is like many other "primitve"cultures where politics and religion are for a few, passed down from father to son and the like, though I agree it would be a benifit to understand such things.

Imperial_Samura

Hmmm, I always thought gay men had good taste, though if what you are saying is true, then I am clearly wrong. Or maybe these are just blind ones. Tell me, are the sticks you are using actually those white canes the blind carry with them?

jaden101
**** learning about their culture...i'd teach them about the outside world...then i'd go away...come back...and sell them coca cola t shirts, marlboro cigarettes and copies of hustler...make a ****ing killing i would

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by jaden101
**** learning about their culture...i'd teach them about the outside world...then i'd go away...come back...and sell them coca cola t shirts, marlboro cigarettes and copies of hustler...make a ****ing killing i would

Ah yes. the delightful colonial spirit of of the past that had such notable successes as the Native Americans, Africans, Australian Aboriginals, the Maori, Indians, native Asians.... That is their culture were destroyed or badly damaged and they ended up in a horrible state, some still have yet to recover.

Though I imagine you joking.

WrathfulDwarf
I like what Fire and Grand Moff Gav said about the politics and religion. It is true that in some cultures both religion and politics play a key role in leadership. What could be worse than an insult to the Chief? I'd say an insult to the Shaman. Yikes!

I forgot about Music do you guys think that would be something worth learning about a tribe? In certain tribes drum beats are a form of communication. That would be helpful learning about the tribe.

StyleTime
I would teach these heathens about the OBVIOUSLY superior American culture.

jaden101
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Ah yes. the delightful colonial spirit of of the past that had such notable successes as the Native Americans, Africans, Australian Aboriginals, the Maori, Indians, native Asians.... That is their culture were destroyed or badly damaged and they ended up in a horrible state, some still have yet to recover.

Though I imagine you joking.

colonialism...capitalism...either way you look at it...they WILL do as they're told

laughing

WrathfulDwarf
Well, explaining to them where you came from would be a good idea. They might confuse you with god or a devil or even....a abnormality.

KidRock
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
He has a point, Kidrock. You came out of no where and completely unprovoked, said that he would f*ck the chief's son.

Why do you start shit for, homes? What gives?

Because I am the angry rageing republican that hates all people other than myself and G dubya..*tears in eyes* ITS WHAT I GOTTA DO MAN! ITS WHAT I GOTTA DO!!!

Quiero Mota
Because I am the angry rageing republican that hates all people other than myself and G dubya..*tears in eyes* ITS WHAT I GOTTA DO MAN! ITS WHAT I GOTTA DO!!!

laughing

jaden101
Well, explaining to them where you came from would be a good idea. They might confuse you with god or a devil or even....a abnormality.

i cant tell ya the number of times that happens to me

WrathfulDwarf
lol

Hmm...this is interesting. History is ahead of language. Which would I assume be above the rest.

Capt_Fantastic

Yeah, that would be funny if it had anything to do with being a republican or a Bush supporter. But, your posts are usually intended to incite a reaction from people. Your posting style is what is in question. If you don't want to deal with me, then don't address me. But, when you enter a thread about abortion and say that the babies can be killed, but that the mother should too, then you're only doing it to incite reaction. (that's just an off the cuff example, I don't know what you think about it) If you put any thought behind your posts, no one would accuse you of not thinking before you spoke.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.