Man to face charges for printing Koran on toilet paper

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sir Whirlysplat
Germany Forum | Germany News
Showing posts 1 - 23 of 23
Arizona Republic | Friday Feb 10
BERLIN - A German businessman who printed the name of the Koran on toilet paper and offered the rolls for sale to mosques and media will face trial for disturbing the peace.

About right to....

Fishy
With this I can actually agree, the time in which he does it is disgusting what he does is even worse and the place he sells it is worst of all that guy is just asking for it.

Capt_Fantastic
I'm not sure if it's a matter of disturbing the peace, and more a matter of disturbing the peace right now, at this very moment, given the current situation.

I think he should be allowed to express that as his opinion if he so chooses. It's also the option of the buisnesses not to but them.

If I were this guy though, I'd be more upset that I was a toilet paper salesman.

botankus
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
If I were this guy though, I'd be more upset that I was a toilet paper salesman.

laughing out loud

Fishy
I'm not sure if it's a matter of disturbing the peace, and more a matter of disturbing the peace right now, at this very moment, given the current situation.

I think he should be allowed to express that as his opinion if he so chooses. It's also the option of the buisnesses not to but them.

Well he's trying to piss people off and likely to start more hatred and riots... Getting jail time for something like that is completly understandable if you ask me.

And to say he thinks the Koran is shit and to actually use it to wipe your siht away are two different things.

botankus
Originally posted by Fishy
Getting jail time for something like that is completly understandable if you ask me.

This denouncing of free speech sounds reasonable if you're willing to say jailtime is deserved for putting anyone else's face or emblem in this world on toilet paper that people may not like - including Ronald McDonald, John Goodman, George Bush, Tony Blair, the Munchkins, and the Djibouti Flag. If not, then that's a very subjective statement.

Fishy
Originally posted by botankus
This denouncing of free speech sounds reasonable if you're willing to say jailtime is deserved for putting anyone else's face or emblem in this world on toilet paper that people may not like - including Ronald McDonald, John Goodman, George Bush, Tony Blair, the Munchkins, and the Djibouti Flag. If not, then that's a very subjective statement.

No, i'm saying the freedom of speech should be limited right here and now becuase of the fragile situation the world is in, and the problems there already are about some cartoons. This was meant as nothing more then to create more unrest in the world.

I don't see it as much as an insult to the Muslim religion which should be allowed even if wrong, but as a way to try and create more unrest problems possibly riots and murder. And that is to say the least, wrong.

Capt_Fantastic
No, i'm saying the freedom of speech should be limited right here and now becuase of the fragile situation the world is in, and the problems there already are about some cartoons. This was meant as nothing more then to create more unrest in the world.

and that is what I said in my first post. However, I don't think that what he has done is punishable by imprisionment or fine. Read my signature, if you can.

botankus
So it's okay to grant one particular group of people immunity to this free speech because they are prone to behaving like whining bludgeoners? That really doesn't seem fair.

If, for example, the Christian, Gay, or Hispanic population was likely to begin slaughtering people if someone made fun of them, should speech against these groups be outlawed, too?

If so, then everyone should start killing away! No fear - your critics will be jailed!

Fishy
So it's okay to grant one particular group of people immunity to this free speech because they are prone to behaving like whining bludgeoners? That really doesn't seem fair.

If, for example, the Christian, Gay, or Hispanic population was likely to begin slaughtering people if someone made fun of them, should speech against these groups be outlawed, too?

If so, then everyone should start killing away! No fear - your critics will be jailed!

No... However if one would purposly create something that would hurt them and cause more problems and thus more problems for the world population in general then its not a bad idea to silence him for a small time. Also the time frame has to be considered, if Muslims would always react like this then yes he should be allowed to do it... However they probably won't, so not doing it at this time is a better idea. Just to keep peace that is. And I know it isn't fair, but sometimes peace is more important then being fair. He can still say Muslims suck and that he wipes his ass with the Koran, just not actively do things like that in public, when its only purpose is to anger people more.

And Capt I have no idea what your sig says, could you translate it please.

Bardock42
No... However if one would purposly create something that would hurt them and cause more problems and thus more problems for the world population in general then its not a bad idea to silence him for a small time. Also the time frame has to be considered, if Muslims would always react like this then yes he should be allowed to do it... However they probably won't, so not doing it at this time is a better idea. Just to keep peace that is. And I know it isn't fair, but sometimes peace is more important then being fair. He can still say Muslims suck and that he wipes his ass with the Koran, just not actively do things like that in public, when its only purpose is to anger people more.

I could.

Capt_Fantastic

Basically, it says that the great strength of the totalitarian government is that it causes those who fear it to become it.

botankus
Fair enough, Fishy. Hey, anyone got another big story on toilet paper they'd like to share?

Fishy
Well could you translate it for me then...

Edit: nevermind Bardock, thx capt...

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Bardock42
I could.

Do you know who said it?

Bardock42
Do you know who said it?

Actually not. I am curious.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Bardock42
Actually not. I am curious.

Hitler

Darth Jello
"freedom of speech" wasn't violated since hate speech is illegal in germany

Fishy
Isn't making hate speech itself illegal something that destroys freedom of speech?

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Darth Jello
"freedom of speech" wasn't violated since hate speech is illegal in germany

As it should be everywhere!!!!!

WrathfulDwarf
Isn't making hate speech itself illegal something that destroys freedom of speech?

Agree with that point.

The right to freedom of speech doesn't mean is the right thing to do.

I could walk towards a very obese man and call him "Big Fat Slob". Is my freedom of speech...and I'am saying the truth...does it mean is right thing to do? Heck, no..people should know better when they crossing the line.

Hit_and_Miss
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

I could walk towards a very obese man and call him "Big Fat Slob". Is my freedom of speech...and I'am saying the truth...does it mean is right thing to do? Heck, no..people should know better when they crossing the line.

Definition of hate speech

This is generally not just slandering someone, its inciting people to kill and hate someone, Such as terrorists calling for killings... Not some name calling....

We have the right to voice our opinions, But not at the cost of others lives...

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss

This is generally not just slandering someone, its inciting people to kill and hate someone, Such as terrorists calling for killings... Not some name calling....

Actually what you've got with that is not a great definition. Here is some interesting examples of hate speak PVS will like!!!!!

http://resistmuch.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=175

Capt_Fantastic
no..people should know better when they crossing the line.

I'm not contending your point. But, whose fault is it when they don't know?

Sir Whirlysplat
Agree with that point.

Great sig and Quote WD a JLA fan who also is a fan of Dune. Nice stuff mate! It's my all time favourite novel!

Makedde
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
BERLIN - A German businessman who printed the name of the Koran on toilet paper and offered the rolls for sale to mosques and media will face trial for disturbing the peace.

Was it some sort of joke? What an idiot, he deserves to be charged. mad

Fishy

"degrade, intimidate"

If that is considered hate speach we can say very little. To actually stop people when they are asking people to become violent and kill a bunch of jews, liberals, blacks, homosexuals, heterosexuals, conservatives, whites, asians... God knows what is understandable. I can not blame them for that I would have done the same, however the problem arrises when something they say is not meant to do that, and is not harmful for the population group.

Sure Jews may have thought what an ******* but apparantly nobody pressed charges against him yet, and nobody seemed to really care about it. Perhaps he even had a point with saying less people died then the official story claimed. If the last thing is the case that will probably never get out, if its not then the guy was wrong, but that was still his own opinion, and seeing as it wasn't mean to inspire murders hate crimes or thins like that it simply should not be seen as wrong.

botankus
I love the content searches that are coming out of these threads. Let's see, we can all buy a toilet paper holder, recessed bath hardware, "coreless" toilet paper, and even visit toiletpaperworld.com!

Council#13

About right to....

What "peace"? We have muslims bombing the European Union, the USA, and parts of Asia, while the States invades Iraq. There's no peace left to disturb!

Council#13
Originally posted by Council#13
What "peace"? We have muslims bombing the European Union, the USA, and parts of Asia, while the States invades Iraq. There's no peace left to disturb!
Woops i meant terrorists

Mindship
Maybe the guy was trying to devise the ultimate anti-fanatic weapon: Do something with the Koran so heinous that fanatics simply can't get enraged enough and their heads explode on the spot.

blowup

botankus
Originally posted by Council#13
Woops i meant terrorists
laughing out loud

meep-meep

About right to....

He should definitely be punished some way. His actions, and others similar, only work to further the gap gap between Muslim and Western-European societies. Sure he has the right to do what he did, but his right is doing more harm than good. Too many people act on urges and rarely take the time to think things through.

meep-meep
Agree with that point.

absolutely.

meep-meep

Hate speech is a controversial term for speech intended to degrade, intimidate, or incite violence or prejudicial action against a group of people based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or disability. The term covers written as well as oral communication.

Your definition does point out that hate speech can be something as name calling. Hate speech simply has to be something that is intentionally inciteful

The people out there who are crying for the blood of the west and artists who draw images to incite are themselves spewing disgusting hate, but you can't defend the people who initiated it.

MistressofSnape
Originally posted by Mindship
Maybe the guy was trying to devise the ultimate anti-fanatic weapon: Do something with the Koran so heinous that fanatics simply can't get enraged enough and their heads explode on the spot.

blowup

If only he did it with the Bible...

idowhatiamtold
That's definitely crossing a line, espeically trying to sell it directly to Mosques? He's got guts... and creativity at least one could say.

FeceMan
Ohhhh, snap.

Fishy
Originally posted by FeceMan
Ohhhh, snap.

Read the rest of the thread I already adressed that.

FeceMan
Read the rest of the thread I already adressed that.
Didn't bother to read since I don't really care about this thread.

"Yadda-yadda, Bush is a douche so it's okay."

Does that about cover it? wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.