Do your communication skills suck?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KharmaDog
Do you feel that your communication skills are suffering from your use of text and computer shorthand?

Do you talk the same way that you type?

Do you think it matters?

Alpha Centauri
Seeing as I barely use computer shorthand, I would say no. The most I use in terms of slang is "Cos" and "Gonna" etc. Nothing much extending beyond that.

I do think it matters only if you speak the typos. I mean some of the typing here I would HATE to hear spoken.

-AC

sammii
depending where i am or what or who im talking too the way i talk changes on msn its common slang on here it varies depending on which thread im on but overall im rather good communicating with people , though i may come across as defensive all the time im not i just like to express my opinions but as i said i think it depends on who ur talking to the way you express ya self

Bardock42
No, I don't use Computer-Idiot-Speak....mostly.

No, I talk German.

Certainly, I'd be much happier if I was able to write more proper English...or German for that matter. (French would be nice too, but I don't even speak the language so I guess that's asking too much)

JacopeX
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Do you feel that your communication skills are suffering from your use of text and computer shorthand?

Do you think it matters?

Actually i have good communication skillz on a count that everyone understands me when i talk

No, cuz its hard to type how i talk and im not used to the internet like you people so i jus type howeva

No it dosent matter. Thats how the person is, you gotta leave people wut they say and how they say things

Eis
I don't use "slang" that much... mostly "u" instead of "you" but other than that- oh and "lol".
But that's it.

sammii
yeh ive had a load of shyt on here for not talkin proply but as long as the reader can read what i have to say it dosent really matter

ladygrim

Do you think it matters?

No i dont talk the same way i as type, but whilst in an English exam i had problems spelling due to Txting alot , i forgot how to spell What= wat ans things like that

DanteMayCry
does your communication skill suck?

JacopeX
Originally posted by sammii
yeh ive had a load of shyt on here for not talkin proply but as long as the reader can read what i have to say it dosent really matter yes exactly!

Alpha Centauri
So depressing, some of these replies.

"I forgot how to spell".

We're doomed.

-AC

KharmaDog
Originally posted by JacopeX
Actually i have good communication skillz on a count that everyone understands me when i talk

No, cuz its hard to type how i talk and im not used to the internet like you people so i jus type howeva

No it dosent matter. Thats how the person is, you gotta leave people wut they say and how they say things

For Storm's sake, I will ignore these ramblings, but it is oh so dificult.

yeh ive had a load of shyt on here for not talkin proply but as long as the reader can read what i have to say it dosent really matter

So you think that the validity of one's observations or seeming intelligence is totally separate from tha manner in which they are communicated?

In that vien, would you rather have a doctor say,"it looks as though you disease may be terminal, but we'll try our best to get you through this" or " Wuz up beeotch, itz lookn like yo gonna buy it aieght, but ma'homies an me r gona give this thang a f*ckin shot."

Originally posted by ladygrim
No i dont talk the same way i as type, but whilst in an English exam i had problems spelling due to Txting alot , i forgot how to spell What= wat ans things like that

I've talked to two University professors who say the same thing. Some of the passages written on thier exams are frightening.

Inspectah Deck
depending where i am or what or who im talking too the way i talk changes on msn its common slang on here it varies depending on which thread im on but overall im rather good communicating with people , though i may come across as defensive all the time im not i just like to express my opinions but as i said i think it depends on who ur talking to the way you express ya self

laughing out loud

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
So depressing, some of these replies.

"I forgot how to spell".

We're doomed.

-AC

What worse? Those who forgot how to spell, or those who know but are just to lazy?

And I agree, we are doomed.

JacopeX
For Storm's sake, I will ignore these ramblings, but it is oh so dificult.

So you think that the validity of one's observations or seeming intelligence is totally separate from tha manner in which they are communicated?

In that vien, would you rather have a doctor say,"it looks as though you disease may be terminal, but we'll try our best to get you through this" or " Wuz up beeotch, itz lookn like yo gonna buy it aieght, but ma'homies an me r gona give this thang a f*ckin shot."

Yea wut eva and you spelled difficult wrong

Yo you dont even know how to talk like that, dont even try talkin like, and dont even talk like that in the streetz cuz youll get shot..........Actually.......keep on goin
tv_happy

Cyber Ninja

laughing out loud I would walk away slowly from that doctor.

sammii
If you read my first post youll understand me as i said its different when on msn ect coz ur onli talkin 2 ya m,8 where as if i was speaking to a doctoer i would speak proply and expect them too

JacopeX
I use internet slang ((alot actually)) in Myspace and AIM but since people here in KMC are such assholes wit the spellin, i gotta type betta but im not gonna do my best

sammii
init , ppl from eya av a proppa go at me 4 the way i type its all boloks as longs as they can read it and aslongs the words make sense hu givs a fuk

Cyber Ninja
I hand it to AC and Kdog because they type really fast on replying and the fact that everything has no real errors. Me on the other hand, I can not type fast for crap, and when I try to reply to many people very quick sick

KharmaDog
Yea wut eva and you spelled difficult wrong

There's a difference between a typo and speaking like a moron. Please don't correct my spelling until you stop speaking like a moron.

Yo you dont even know how to talk like that, dont even try talkin like, and dont even talk like that in the streetz cuz youll get shot..........Actually.......keep on goin

I am quite proud that I don't know how to talk like that. Because most idiots talk like that. As for the street, I would hazard to guess that I have spent more time on the street than you ever have or ever will. Storm asked me nicely to stop punking your ass, don't make me tear you a new one that you'll never forget.

I use internet slang ((alot actually)) in Myspace and AIM but since people here in KMC are such assholes wit the spellin, i gotta type betta but im not gonna do my best

You're NOT gonna do you best? That's what makes you a complete fool.

Cyber Ninja
init , ppl from eya av a proppa go at me 4 the way i type its all boloks as longs as they can read it and aslongs the words make sense hu givs a fuk Some people could read what others say but they just correct you because

A. They want to discredit you
B. They want to avoid something
C. Other

GCG

Do you think it matters?

No

No

Of Course !

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Cyber Ninja
I hand it to AC and Kdog because they type really fast on replying and the fact that everything has no real errors.

Thanx, appreciated.

Some people could read what others say but they just correct you because

A. They want to discredit you
B. They want to avoid something
C. Other

That passage by sammi I thought was just a literary turd. If you have the ability to communicate clearly and choose not to, then don't get defensive if someone thinks you're an idiot. That is how you chose to portray yourself.

And sometimes people correct you because they can't understand you, or they find it frustrating that ignorance is not only accepted, but embraced.

As for using a correction to discredit someone, I think typing like a retarded monkey is discrediting enough.

JacopeX
There's a difference between a typo and speaking like a moron. Please don't correct my spelling until you stop speaking like a moron.

I am quite proud that I don't know how to talk like that. Because most idiots talk like that. As for the street, I would hazard to guess that I have spent more time on the street than you ever have or ever will. Storm asked me nicely to stop punking your ass, don't make me tear you a new one that you'll never forget.

You're NOT gonna do you best? That's what makes you a complete fool.

1. At least i know youre mistakes

2. WUT! yo thats funny, i been in the streetz alot more than you. Yo dont even go there and say that youve been there more than me. Yo and yea i talk like that and wut, im not an idiot. Yo, why cant people jus let us live and talk how eva we want. and wut the hell did you mean tear?

3. Youre a foo' byatch!

Ms Flower
My spelling isnt the best so I use the spell checker. I purposely shorten words like because to 'cuz' and some times leave the letter g off words like feeling making it feelin'. Regardless you understand what Im saying so my communication skills are fine.

Sometimes I talk the same, depends on the person or conversation.

Does it matter?......it matters if you use what Ive heard referred to as leet speak or something...I have a hard time understanding that stuff sometimes so I dont bother reading it. Also depending on how bad the spelling and punctuation is too...most times in my opinion it doesnt matter as I can still understand whats being said...usually.

Cyber Ninja
Thanx, appreciated.

That passage by sammi I thought was just a literary turd. If you have the ability to communicate clearly and choose not to, then don't get defensive if someone thinks you're an idiot. That is how you chose to portray yourself.

And sometimes people correct you because they can't understand you, or they find it frustrating that ignorance is not only accepted, but embraced.

As for using a correction to discredit someone, I think typing like a retarded monkey is discrediting enough. relax. I didn't say all cases.... I see some people that correct this

Som

Some guy: omg you suck balls, its spelled "some" with an e you freaking moron. I seen it happen.

Inspectah Deck
If you read my first post youll understand me as i said its different when on msn ect coz ur onli talkin 2 ya m,8 where as if i was speaking to a doctoer i would speak proply and expect them too

Next time, use Spellcheck

Cyber Ninja
Who is more dumb, the person that writes like that or the person that complains about it and still reads every word..

Bardock42
Who is more dumb, the person that writes like that or the person that complains about it and still reads every word..

The person that writes like that....hmm, that one was easy got any others?

KharmaDog
1. At least i know youre mistakes

See, if you are going to get petty, it'd be 'you're' instead of "youre". There is a saying, "don't try to bullsh*t a guy with a turd in every pocket". Sit down, try to figure that one out...and play nice.

2. WUT! yo thats funny, i been in the streetz alot more than you. Yo dont even go there and say that youve been there more than me.

You are only 14 and have been nowhere. You do not know where I have grown up, or who I associate with. I have more experience relating to people on the street and dealing with gangs than total years that you have been alive. Go back to school and learn something

Yo and yea i talk like that and wut, im not an idiot.

"Yo and yea", That comment right there qualifies as idiotic.

Originally posted by JacopeX and wut the hell did you mean tear?

www.dictionary.com , educate yourself.

Originally posted by JacopeX 3. Youre a foo' byatch!

I'm trying to be polite Storm, but he ain't making it easy.

relax. I didn't say all cases.... I see some people that correct this

I wasn't attacking you, just extrapolating from you comment. I do agree with some of what you said.

JacopeX
Who is more dumb, the person that writes like that or the person that complains about it and still reads every word.. The person who complains, Quit bitchin and deal wit it.

Cyber Ninja
Originally posted by Bardock42
The person that writes like that....hmm, that one was easy got any others? but seriously if you complain about it and say it hurts your brain then why would you keep reading that person's posts ?

*Person touches the lava* omg it burned my flesh wtf, i am pissed....(seconds later) *touches it again and gets burned again* hmm

JacopeX

You are only 14 and have been nowhere. You do not know where I have grown up, or who I associate with. I have more experience relating to people on the street and dealing with gangs than total years that you have been alive. Go back to school and learn something

Nah man, ive been everywhere. From Ct, Ny, Nj, Mass., Cali, PEru, and Brazil. I go to those places:

1. Soccer games ((for travel league))

2. Jus to go to shop for stuff

3. to visit people

redcaped
Something's wrong and I know it.

JacopeX
Originally posted by redcaped
Something's wrong and I know it. Kharmadog

Lana
but seriously if you complain about it and say it hurts your brain then why would you keep reading that person's posts ?

*Person touches the lava* omg it burned my flesh wtf, i am pissed....(seconds later) *touches it again and gets burned again* hmm

Because on occassion the person might actually be trying to make a valid point....but if their typing is complete asinine gibberish because they can't bother to even TRY to use proper English, it makes it hard.

I HATE compter/text shorthand, and beyond using "brb" when I'm on MSN, I never use it. I don't even abbreviate things when I'm texting. About the only difference between how I normally type and how I do on MSN or in texts is that I get lazy with capitalization.

Cyber Ninja
Nah man, ive been everywhere. From Ct, Ny, Nj, Mass., Cali, PEru, and Brazil. I go to those places:

3. to visit people because you been somewhere doesn't mean you experienced certain things.

Cyber Ninja
Originally posted by Lana
Because on occassion the person might actually be trying to make a valid point....but if their typing is complete asinine gibberish because they can't bother to even TRY to use proper English, it makes it hard.

I HATE compter/text shorthand, and beyond using "brb" when I'm on MSN, I never use it. I don't even abbreviate things when I'm texting. About the only difference between how I normally type and how I do on MSN or in texts is that I get lazy with capitalization. Well that is true but i mean some people attack for very very minor things and instead of saying "can you say that more clear ?* they go "you are a freaking idiot and can't make a sentence for shit...and so on*

JacopeX
Well that is true but i mean some people attack for very very minor things and instead of saying "can you say that more clear ?* they go "you are a freaking idiot and can't make a sentence for shit...and so on* i hate those type of people who get pissed for that type of sutff. The internet is not serious to me.

Cyber Ninja
i hate those type of people who get pissed for that type of sutff. The internet is not serious to me. Well you do your sentences like that on purpose and the more people complain, the more you mess up the sentence.

Lana
Well that is true but i mean some people attack for very very minor things and instead of saying "can you say that more clear ?* they go "you are a freaking idiot and can't make a sentence for shit...and so on*

Well I'll be the first to admit that I'm slightly neurotic about spelling and grammar, though it's rare that I'll point out people's errors unless their posts are completely incomprehensible.

JacopeX
Well you do your sentences like that on purpose and the more people complain, the more you mess up the sentence. i dont do it on purpose or accident, i jus type like that when talkin to people online. And yea imma do that

Cyber Ninja
Well I'll be the first to admit that I'm slightly neurotic about spelling and grammar, though it's rare that I'll point out people's errors unless their posts are completely incomprehensible. yeah but you wouldn't unleash the wrath of God if they misspelled one word like some people. You do it if you really don't understand the person and yet do it without attacking, but some people do it when everyone else understands and they want to discredit you or other.

can you read this post lana

hil;aknabs laja hw are u thjes morningasineg eek!

GCG
With Jacope its different ; he lets his talking do the writing

KharmaDog
Well I'll be the first to admit that I'm slightly neurotic about spelling and grammar, though it's rare that I'll point out people's errors unless their posts are completely incomprehensible.

Like this....

i dont do it on purpose or accident, i jus type like that when talkin to people online. And yea imma do that

Lana
Like this....

I have to say I do have a bit of trouble reading a lot of posts on here that use a lot of text speak. Mostly because I never use it, am used to people using proper English, and therefore never encounter it outside of the lazy people on here.

I expect that's true for many people on here, as well.

KharmaDog
It's odd how some proclaim that they are not an idiot, but type as though they were, and communicate in completely incomprehensible posts as to their intelligence.

If someone were to call you and idiot. Just responding ," No, actually I am not an idiot" would go a long way to prove you point.

Are there any other members like ladygrim who are finding their use of computer or text shorthand encroaching into other areas of their life?

Cyber Ninja
Do I type that bad cry

Inspectah Deck

3. to visit people

And sell "stuff" stick out tongue

KharmaDog
Do I type that bad cry

We all have our moments. Some people communicate poorly through lack of skills, mistakes, or misunderstanding. Others make it a conscious choice. It is the conscious choice that I have the most problem with.

T.M
My job is talking to people all the time so my communication skills are good. But when I am typing I sometimes use shorthand when I shouldn't.. My teacher gave me so much shit because in my A level coursework because I put 'u' instead of 'you' laughing out loud

redcaped
Surely I suck at cummunication!

T.M
Yes you do... and don't call me Shirley

Slay
I hardly use shorthand.

I speak Dutch in real life.

Yes,I sometimes get annoyed by lousy typing...

Inspectah Deck
i dont do it on purpose or accident, i jus type like that when talkin to people online. And yea imma do that

So you do it on purpose

Cyber Ninja
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
So you do it on purpose laughing out loud

JacopeX
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
So you do it on purpose http://zeke.tzo.com/rpgww/misc/yalogank/zznonrpgww/signs/sign_no01.jpg

KharmaDog
i dont do it on purpose or accident,

Something has to be done intentionally (on purpose) or unintentionally (accident). You can't do both or neither.

i jus type like that when talkin to people online. And yea imma do that

So it is on purpose.

*lizziekk*
Originally posted by Slay
I hardly use shorthand.

I speak Dutch in real life.

Yes,I sometimes get annoyed by lousy typing...
Ditto! (apart from the dutch part)

I just type normally using correct spelling and grammar when i can.... slang does irritate me because i usually prefer a sentence i can understand.

BackFire

Do you think it matters?

I more or less type the way I speak. Though, I do often censor myself here because if I typed some of the heinous things I say with my close friends joking around I'd be banned.

Bardock42
Originally posted by BackFire
I more or less type the way I speak. Though, I do often censor myself here because if I typed some of the heinous things I say with my close friends joking around I'd be banned.

Preferably by yourself?

BackFire
You raise a good question....is it possible for me to ban myself...... ?

Lana
Dare you to try it stick out tongue

Bardock42
Originally posted by BackFire
You raise a good question....is it possible for me to ban myself...... ?

Get WD and test it right away eek!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.