''the missing link theory'' swiming apes?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DanteMayCry
Basically the theory is this: for a short but evolutionarily signifigant period, the ancestors of humankind lived as a semi-aquatic species, which helped to shape our species into what we are today. The theory is widely avoided in the scientific community, mainly because when it was introduced, it was used as a feminist counter the more mainstream theory.

Some evidence supporting this theory:

1. Human behavior: Nearly all apes and other primates have a strong fear of water, while humans do not, and are quite good swimmers. Humans regularly crowd beaches in great numbers.

2. Lack of Fur: Humans have very little hair on their bodys, something very uncommon for terrestrial mammals of our size. Hair is excellent protection from the cold and from the sun... however, in water, hair does nothing to protect against the cold. Many aquatic mammals have lsot their hair, such as dolphins and manatees.

3. Skin-bonded fat: Humans, unique amung primates, have a layer of fat bonded to our skin. While uncommon amung terrestrial mammals, skin-bonded fat is an almost universal trait umungst aquatic mammals: it's vital for keeping warm underwater.

4. The human nose: Far different from the flat nose of most apes and primates, the human nose extends out and points down. While swiming, this prevents water from leaking into the nasal passage. One other primate has such a nose, the proboscus monkey... this species is semi-aquatic.

5. Human infant bodyfat: Human infants have an extremely thick layer of fat surrounding their bodies. While this does serve to help keep the small baby warm, it has a second effect... human babys float.

6. Human female breasts: The large fatty breasts of human females serve little function on land, but in water, they will float. This would allow humans to breatfeed in the water while allowing the baby to breathe.

7. Specilized bloodvessels in the lungs: Humans, interestingly, have specilized bloodvessels in the lungs which will expand at extreme depth to prevent lung implosion from the pressure. This was only a recent discovery, as these bloodvessels don't even activate until a human goes well below normal depths.

There's plenty more to the list as well: so much unexplained about human anatomy, physiology, and psycology is explained by this theory. The theory also explains how humans came to be upright walkers: in the water, we'd need to stand as straight as possible to keep our heads above water, and the water would provide support as evolution took the time to build the musculature to make the stance practical full-time. (something standard evolutionary theory canot explain)

Thoughts?

Keep in mind, this is NOT intended to be a discussion on evolution versus creationism... this thread assumes evolution is correct.

Koala MeatPie
GDF Material

It is widly known that Humn beings where a Fluke of Nature we have no Ancestors, no link, so yes as you sauid, ther is a missing link.

nature will re-absorb humans as time goes on.

bogen
hey, it's intersting stuff i think but it's truth and origin have to be determined, but if i didn't do year 10 science( which i did) id say you were right

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by DanteMayCry
5. Human infant bodyfat: Human infants have an extremely thick layer of fat surrounding their bodies. While this does serve to help keep the small baby warm, it has a second effect... human babys float.

Thoughts?In terms of this point I'd direct you to, among others, the work of Dr Christopher Kuzawa, a biological anthropologist.

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20001209/bob11.asp

Eis
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
In terms of this point I'd direct you to, among others, the work of Dr Christopher Kuzawa, a biological anthropologist.

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20001209/bob11.asp
The character on your sig means beautiful. happy
Just had to say it, I'm gonna check the link though.

KharmaDog
Isn't that known as the "naked ape" theory?

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Isn't that known as the "naked ape" theory?

Yes it is, it has for the most part been debunked however some things cannot be explained away totally yet!

meep-meep
Basically the theory is this: for a short but evolutionarily signifigant period, the ancestors of humankind lived as a semi-aquatic species, which helped to shape our species into what we are today. The theory is widely avoided in the scientific community, mainly because when it was introduced, it was used as a feminist counter the more mainstream theory.

Some evidence supporting this theory:

1. Human behavior: Nearly all apes and other primates have a strong fear of water, while humans do not, and are quite good swimmers. Humans regularly crowd beaches in great numbers.

2. Lack of Fur: Humans have very little hair on their bodys, something very uncommon for terrestrial mammals of our size. Hair is excellent protection from the cold and from the sun... however, in water, hair does nothing to protect against the cold. Many aquatic mammals have lsot their hair, such as dolphins and manatees.

3. Skin-bonded fat: Humans, unique amung primates, have a layer of fat bonded to our skin. While uncommon amung terrestrial mammals, skin-bonded fat is an almost universal trait umungst aquatic mammals: it's vital for keeping warm underwater.

4. The human nose: Far different from the flat nose of most apes and primates, the human nose extends out and points down. While swiming, this prevents water from leaking into the nasal passage. One other primate has such a nose, the proboscus monkey... this species is semi-aquatic.

6. Human female breasts: The large fatty breasts of human females serve little function on land, but in water, they will float. This would allow humans to breatfeed in the water while allowing the baby to breathe.

7. Specilized bloodvessels in the lungs: Humans, interestingly, have specilized bloodvessels in the lungs which will expand at extreme depth to prevent lung implosion from the pressure. This was only a recent discovery, as these bloodvessels don't even activate until a human goes well below normal depths.

There's plenty more to the list as well: so much unexplained about human anatomy, physiology, and psycology is explained by this theory. The theory also explains how humans came to be upright walkers: in the water, we'd need to stand as straight as possible to keep our heads above water, and the water would provide support as evolution took the time to build the musculature to make the stance practical full-time. (something standard evolutionary theory canot explain)

Thoughts?

Keep in mind, this is NOT intended to be a discussion on evolution versus creationism... this thread assumes evolution is correct.

This is interesting. I've never heard this theory before but there are some good and thought provoking points mentioned here. Where did you get all this information from?

Atlantis001
Interesting. If its true, I imagine how was the specie that we came from, but why we did not found any evidence of fossils, or something about these aquatic species ?

Inspectah Deck
eek! I can swim!

DanteMayCry
anyway i just heard/seen/read this theory in the internet by searchin missing link but it seems like its a viable theory... i hope its true

meep-meep
anyway i just heard/seen/read this theory in the internet by searchin missing link but it seems like its a viable theory... i hope its true

It's not usually scientifically and ethically right to "want" a theory to be correct. If the evidence is there than you can interpret it in a number of ways. It's better to prove as correct, you know?

Also, it is interesting that we haven't found any fossil evidence in bodies of water. Then again humans might have not spent enough time in the bodies of water to produce a lot of fossilized evidence. Also maybe there is evidence but their bones yust might me at the bottom of some oceans, seas and lakes just buried underneath sand, rocks, being, or algae.

Darth Jello
give me fossil record evidence. No hominid lived next to any significant body of water until homo erectus, and they were fairly furless.

Grim Reefer
Originally posted by Atlantis001
Interesting. If its true, I imagine how was the specie that we came from, but why we did not found any evidence of fossils, or something about these aquatic species ? Because when something in the water dies all the fish and other water animals eat it and the bones drift away, thats why they dont know a whole lot about prehistoric fish.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.