Battle of directors+ Lucas, Speldberg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lee-San28
in your opinyon who do you think is better, and who do you like better and why?

Cinemaddiction
Spielberg, by default. As a director, he's directly influenced countless other filmmakers. Lucas has two movies in "THX-1138" and "Star Wars". Honestly, that's it. The most popular of the franchise, "Empire Strikes Back", was directed by Irvin Kerschner.

Steven, the list is endless.

DeVi| D0do
I thought American Graffiti was really good too... But other than those (Graffiti, THX and A New Hope) I don't think there's anything else that displays much directing talent on Lucas's part. Spielberg, on the other hand, has made a huge number of good films, some great ones, and a few excellent.

To be honest, I think all the fame and fortune went to Lucas's head. As is evidenced by what became of the Star Wars franchise. He turned it into a blockbuster, when it started as a creative, inspired, innovative and artistic independent film.

As a technological visionary: Lucas. As a director: Spielberg.

forumcrew
how do you spell spielberg so wrong in the subject line..

but yea lucas hasnt done a large body of great works, so its not that close of a contest.

DarkWizard
Both Went to the University of So Cal, and I really love both director's workings. But even more so, when they work together. Like say, the 'Indiana Jones' Trilogy (soon to be 4). And also, Star wars: episode III, Those were the best action scenes in the trilogy (thanks to Lucas and 'berg).

But If I have to compare the two, Spielberg has more great movies behind his belt. But Like said before, Lucas has the bigger franchise.

Lucas: THX, ROTJ, and A new Hope.

Spielberg: Jaws, SPR, Minority Report, The color Purple, Empire of the Sun, Schindler's list, ET, Jurassic Park, CE3K, Hook, The Terminal, and Catch me if you can.

MildPossession
I like Lucas' earlier work, as for overall director, Spielberg for me out of the two. But neither of the two are favourite directors for me.

WrathfulDwarf
For me Lucas is nothing but a two hit wonder as a director. Star Wars and American Graffiti that's about it...now, as a marketing person Lucas is pure gold!

Evil_Ash
Spielberg of course, Lucas is simply can't direct anything, the romance is terribly done in SW and the same goes for the wooden dialouge aswell.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by DarkWizard

Lucas: THX, ROTJ, and A new Hope.

Spielberg: Jaws, SPR, Minority Report, The color Purple, Empire of the Sun, Schindler's list, ET, Jurassic Park, CE3K, Hook, The Terminal, and Catch me if you can.

Lucas didn't direct "Return of the Jedi", it was Rich Marquand, and you mention "Hook" of all movies, and forget "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"?

For shame. no

DarkWizard
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Lucas didn't direct "Return of the Jedi", it was Rich Marquand,

Thanks for the heads up, I was not aware of that. smile

DeVi| D0do
I think Lucas was more involved in Jedi than just producing and writing the story. You can tell by the whole feel of the film... its much more similar to the prequels than either of the other classic films.

And in my opinion, Hook was one of Spielberg's duds...

Rapscallion
Most definitely Spielberg. Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, and Munich were three of the most intense movies I have ever seen. He's also consistently made great films for over 25 years.

DarkWizard
Originally posted by Rapscallion
Most definitely Spielberg. Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, and Munich were three of the most intense movies I have ever seen. He's also consistently made great films for over 25 years.

With a few speed bumps.

(WOTW) messed

Cinemaddiction
Ah. "CE3K" is a bizarre abbreviation, as if it were "Close Encounters 3000".

Nevermind
Spielberg easily takes the cake. He's easily one of the most recognisable and influential filmmakers of today. There's no surprise that with Spielberg's talent he's able to please the audience and create films with artistic integrity. There is a lot of people who will sacrifice that to make a popular movie.

DarkWizard
Ah. "CE3K" is a bizarre abbreviation, as if it were "Close Encounters 3000".

haha. yeah. I remember reading that abbreviation in a magazine once.

Impediment
Spielberg, by far. Jurassic Park, Lost World, Close Encounters, The Color Purple, The Terminal, Jaws, The Indiana Jones trilogy, and Schindler's List are examples why. Lucas, while I still have respect for his imagination, creativity, and his skills as a director, his recent works that are the horrible episodes I, II, and III are proof enough that Spielberg still has the upper hand.

BackFire
Spielberg by a billion. Though both are overrated.

Solo
Originally posted by MildPossession
I like Lucas' earlier work, as for overall director, Spielberg for me out of the two. But neither of the two are favourite directors for me.

preysin
lucas is lightyears better then spielberg. any idiot can tell between qualitie and quantitie. Lucas movies are always best.

DarkWizard
Originally posted by preysin
lucas is lightyears better then spielberg. any idiot can tell between qualitie and quantitie. Lucas movies are always best.

I disagree on a few points there. From your post, I get the impression that Spielberg has very few great films. Which of course is false, IMO. And not only has 'berg explored more genres, but also has Much more experience as a director.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by preysin

Of course. "Howard the Duck" slightly edges out "War of the Worlds".

Blaxican_Jedi
has anyone mentioned Jurassic park for Spielburg?

DeVi| D0do
I disagree on a few points there. From your post, I get the impression that Spielberg has very few great films. Which of course is false, IMO. And not only has 'berg explored more genres, but also has Much more experience as a director.
Don't even try to talk any sense into this guy. Seriously, he's deluded.

Mišt
Agreed, preysin is deluded to the point where he thinks AOTC is a good movie.

Spielberg's films are much more focused on....well...the whole movie experience kind of thing, the story, the characters etc...

Lucas focuses too much on one thing and forgets to pick up the rest. Namely, too much CGI, not enough acting. He's spent far too long on his one visionary story of Star Wars (and crapped out on half of the saga), and hasnt branched out enough on other projects. It's not like he lacks creativity or originality. He could do well if he thought of other ideas....independant films rather than a continuing story. And then he goes back to try and make his films better by editing parts...and screws them up more!

People think of Spielberg, and they think good movies.
People think of Lucas, and they think Star Wars. 'Nuff said.

Quiero Mota
Speilberg! ET, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Color Purple, Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List.....any of those movies blow Lucas out of the water.

But I think Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorsese, and Oliver Stone are better than both of them

fini
THere is absolutely no comparrison between Lucas and Speilberg. NONE

Speilberg is by far a better director. He makes absolutely amazing films. You could probably take all of Lucas's films and put them up against 1/5 of Speilbergs films and then maybe you'll get a close race.

TO compare. both can make great fantasy movies...... but even then to compare the breakthroughs made with star wars and jurassic park and who framed roger rabbit........makes a good argument.

DarkWizard
Originally posted by Blaxican_Jedi
has anyone mentioned Jurassic park for Spielburg?

yes.

Lörd Sorgo
Spielberg obviously pwns Lucas as a director.

This is a true Star Wars fan saying this.

Spielberg is an unbelievable Producer and some of his Movies are my favorite.

Could anyone honestly say they were disgusted by one of his movies? Truly.

Cinemaddiction

Dr. Strangelove
Spielberg no contest.

DeVi| D0do

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Really disliked A.I., and I think he just took the complete wrong approach to the Jurassic Park movies. And yeah, The Terminal was pretty craptastic. But I wouldn't say I was 'disgusted' by any of them, no.

I was disgusted by the fact that the twin towers appeared in AI. (which is supposed to take place in the future.)

Catch Me If You Can and Minority Report really sucked, imo.

Lörd Sorgo
Originally posted by DiamondBullets
I was disgusted by the fact that the twin towers appeared in AI. (which is supposed to take place in the future.)

Catch Me If You Can and Minority Report really sucked, imo.

Wow, you're stupid.

Do you really expect Spielberg to see a few years into the future?

Either you're being sarcastic (Which is horrid, and the joke wasn't funny) or you really did screw up and you're a moron.

Lörd Sorgo
I thought "The Terminal" was shit. Just another bone thrown to Tom Hanks after "Road to Perdition".

The Terminal was a few hours of my life wasted that i'll never get back.

Road to Perdition? I actually didn't mind that one.

rockycairns
Spielberg has made a lot of shit films in his time

E.T.
Jaws
War of the Worlds

But Lucas has had a lot of good films

Star Wars - entire saga
THX 1138

Lucas was also the mastermind behind Indiana Jones but Spielberg did an excellent job bringing them to life

not that spielberg hasnt had his brilliant films

he has

Munich was a breathtakingly marvelous film which was both powerful and emotionally gripping and made you feel for the characters when one of them died it felt like a very good friend had died

Saving Private Ryan is his best film by very very far Tom Hanks is amazing as Capt John Miller and Matt Damon, Edward Burns and Tom Sizemore are all fantastic and the battle scenes are not only realistic but play out like actual footage from battles and the attention which is paid to the detail is the best in cinematic history

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by rockycairns

E.T.
Jaws
War of the Worlds
Of ALL the movies he's been involved in, THOSE are the one you chose as his shit ones?! erm

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by rockycairns

E.T.
Jaws
War of the Worlds

But Lucas has had a lot of good films

Star Wars - entire saga
THX 1138

Lucas was also the mastermind behind Indiana Jones but Spielberg did an excellent job bringing them to life

not that spielberg hasnt had his brilliant films

he has

Munich was a breathtakingly marvelous film which was both powerful and emotionally gripping and made you feel for the characters when one of them died it felt like a very good friend had died

Saving Private Ryan is his best film by very very far Tom Hanks is amazing as Capt John Miller and Matt Damon, Edward Burns and Tom Sizemore are all fantastic and the battle scenes are not only realistic but play out like actual footage from battles and the attention which is paid to the detail is the best in cinematic history

"Jaws" and "E.T." among Spielberg's worst? I'll respect your opinion, but I nor anyone else, will respect it because it's without basis. They're landmark films that launched careers an inspired generations of filmmakers.

Lucas only directed ONE of the original "Star Wars" movies. The "New Trilogy" has been horribly written, horribly acted, and horribly directed. Direction is what's in question, not writing or producing. "Indiana Jones" is a masterpiece? It's about an adventerous archeologist, and Lucas wasn't alone in that venture, either.

Let's be fair.

fini
HMMM looks like someone needs to get their FACTS RIGHT!!!

Lucas has made far far LESS films than Spielberg.
ANd as said earlier, ET a bad film?

Mr Parker
I thought American Graffiti was really good too... But other than those (Graffiti, THX and A New Hope) I don't think there's anything else that displays much directing talent on Lucas's part. Spielberg, on the other hand, has made a huge number of good films, some great ones, and a few excellent.

To be honest, I think all the fame and fortune went to Lucas's head. As is evidenced by what became of the Star Wars franchise. He turned it into a blockbuster, when it started as a creative, inspired, innovative and artistic independent film.

As a technological visionary: Lucas. As a director: Spielberg.

once again Devil Dodo you make such great points that again I got to say I could not have said it better myself.Got to go with Spielberg since Lucas never did anything amazing after A New Hope where Spielberg made many great films.

Mr Parker
Of ALL the movies he's been involved in, THOSE are the one you chose as his shit ones?! erm

Other than Jaws I have to agree with him on that.I cant stand Tom Cruise and I never could understand why people got so emotional and teary eyed over some phony puppet.

Mr Parker
I think Lucas was more involved in Jedi than just producing and writing the story. You can tell by the whole feel of the film... its much more similar to the prequels than either of the other classic films.

And in my opinion, Hook was one of Spielberg's duds...

another great point as always.Yeah I always had that feeling as well that Lucas was much more involved with Jedi than he was with Empire.With the success of A NEW HOPE Lucas seemed to have lost his magic touch at making great movies somehow.I guess he just got lazy because yeah, JEDI always felt similiar to the prequels and nothing at all like his other two star wars masterpieces before jedi.

Cinemaddiction
He didn't "co-direct" ROTJ, so how could he be any more involved in it other than writing and producing it? Richard Marquand was a shit director, too.

DarkWizard

DiamondBullets

DeVi| D0do
He didn't "co-direct" ROTJ, so how could he be any more involved in it other than writing and producing it? Richard Marquand was a shit director, too.
He's not credited as doing anything else, but I'm almost certain he did more than just write and produce. He even did some second unit directing on ESB as well without being credited. A lot of people do uncredited work on films...

Cinemaddiction
Then I guess I'm screwed up and a moron, cuz I aint joking. That image in AI is a major point-deductor against Speilburg.

..again, who would have had to been a gypsy, because the movie was released 2 months before September 11th. If you're going to rip him, atleast spell his name correctly.

Besides, it's not like "A.I." was the only Sci Fi movie to feature the WTC in a movie, and set in the future.

Cinemaddiction
He's not credited as doing anything else, but I'm almost certain he did more than just write and produce. He even did some second unit directing on ESB as well without being credited. A lot of people do uncredited work on films...

Not co-directing, though. There's nothing more that George Lucas could have done in that movie other than what he already did, which was write and produce (which includes editing). If he were a co-director, his name would have been in the credits. It wasn't. He didn't. That's that.

DiamondBullets
Besides, it's not like "A.I." was the only Sci Fi movie to feature the WTC in a movie, and set in the future.

What other movies?

Cinemaddiction
"Back to the Future 2" for starters. It's set in the year 2015.

The towers themselves were in a few movies that were released after 9/11.

DeVi| D0do
Not co-directing, though. There's nothing more that George Lucas could have done in that movie other than what he already did, which was write and produce (which includes editing). If he were a co-director, his name would have been in the credits. It wasn't. He didn't. That's that.
That's simply not true. Watch the 'Empire of Dreams' documentary if you don't believe me... Hell, just check IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086190/fullcredits

"George Lucas .... second unit director (uncredited)"

To believe everybody always gets due credit in the film business is just plain ignorant. Tonnes of people do uncredited work on films. Not least of all Steven Spielberg on Poltergiest. He's not given a co-directors credit, but he was very heavily involved in the making of the film.

Cinemaddiction
That's simply not true. Watch the 'Empire of Dreams' documentary if you don't believe me... Hell, just check IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086190/fullcredits

"George Lucas .... second unit director (uncredited)"

To believe everybody always gets due credit in the film business is just plain ignorant. Tonnes of people do uncredited work on films. Not least of all Steven Spielberg on Poltergiest. He's not given a co-directors credit, but he was very heavily involved in the making of the film.

Alright, so we don't get things twisted, he was NOT second unit director on "ESB".

ESB Full Credits

Besides, second unit is usually post-production, not involving actors, and if any, none with speaking lines, nor the stars of the film, which don't have any effect on the movie itself. Since we're citing IMDB, here's their definition;

I never said that people always get their name in the credits for their work, or believed they did. Lucas didn't direct ESB. Taking shots for his signature wipes and bumper shots isn't "directing" in the standard sense.

..and for what it's worth, going back to "ROTJ", Lucas WAS Second Unit director on it, BEHIND another second unit director, AND ALONG SIDE 5 OTHER "co-directors. If that doesn't dwindle his involvement in THAT film down, he didn't even write the screenplay for "ROTJ". It's "his" movie in the sense he wrote the story. That's it.

Spielberg wrote and produced "Poltergeist", that's common knowledge. Rumour once had it that he stepped in and directed scenes, then he admitted himself that it was Hooper who directed the film. It'll never be proven either way. There's one interview circulating that suggests the same, with Hooper himself.

Poltergeist - Hooper or Spielberg

I don't have the nickname I do just to look pretty and pretend I know about things I don't... stick out tongue

MildPossession
Maybe you are getting confused Devil with Lucas getting more involved in the things for the new re release they made of the original movie?

DeVi| D0do
No (though that is a fair point...). I'm sure I'm not going crazy! Will some Star Wars uber-dweeb back me up on this? stick out tongue

Alright, so we don't get things twisted, he was NOT second unit director on "ESB".

ESB Full Credits
Yeah, my bad, I got mixed up there... Jedi is what we're debating anyway... Isn't it? I don't doubt that Kershner was the main, if not only reason for the success of Empire.

Spielberg wrote and produced "Poltergeist", that's common knowledge. Rumour once had it that he stepped in and directed scenes, then he admitted himself that it was Hooper who directed the film. It'll never be proven either way. There's one interview circulating that suggests the same, with Hooper himself.

Poltergeist - Hooper or Spielberg

I don't have the nickname I do just to look pretty and pretend I know about things I don't... stick out tongue
I respect that so I'll take your word for that one... Though, I am still of the belief that Spielberg had more to do with that film than he's credited for.

Seriously, I respect that you are probably one of the people on these boards who knows the most about films, but I'm sure I'm not making this up...

*watches Empire of Dreams to secure sanity*

"Another challenge on the set was Richard Marquand's relative inexperience with special effects... I hadn't realised that ultimately it was probably easier for me to do these things than to farm them out... I really did have to end up being there every day on the set and working very closely with Richard and shooting second unit. There was really more work than I thought it was going to be."

While you could argue that it's the job of the Producer (of which there's no question Lucas is) to be on set every day anyway, but just watch the doco and you'll see that his involvement stretched a tad beyond shooting inserts, crowds, scenery...

: Just going back to Empire, I do remember seeing or reading somewhere (don't remember where... either the doco, the commentary or somewhere) that Lucas did actually do some shooting on it... He used his swimming pool to shoot the sequence on Dagobah in the mud pool and he shot it himself. I'm a bigger Star Wars geek than you may think. big grin

DarkWizard
What other movies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Center_in_film_and_media#Movies

preysin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.