DC Comics Online!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedi Shmedi
On Feb 24th 2006, DC Comics and Jim Lee announced an upcoming project for the PC, PS3 and PSP- DC Comics Online (Working Title). Jim Lee is doing conceptual art for the game, as well as a few other comic-book veterans, two of the creators of the original Everquest are on board as well.

You can read the article at www.ign.com

I'm excited for DC and the potential for DCO (as I suppose it would be abreviated) Since Marvel has signed a deal to create their own MMO for the Xbox 360, it makes sense that DC would go for the PS3 wink

I love the idea, What do you guys think about this?

Knightfall93
AWESOME!

Morridini
Hope it turns out good.

God, just thinking about interacting with the DC world, yey. Still I wonder how it will turn out.

WrathfulDwarf
I was just reading the same article but from gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/dccomicsmmo/news.html?sid=6144946

Basically, this will be competing with City of Heroes. Most likely it will arrive for PS3 first and then to the 360 and prolly Revolutions. Interesting to see what happens next.

Knightfall93
dammit... I don't have any of that shit!

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Morridini
Hope it turns out good.

God, just thinking about interacting with the DC world, yey. Still I wonder how it will turn out.

pr1983
I wonder if canon characters will be playable...

MadMel
i doubt that. people superman are way too powerful to be played as, because you need to have equals in mmos, no matter how powerful you become.

SnakeEyes
I would love to play a DC or Marvel MMO game... but they're so damn expensive. I hate how you need to pay each month in order to play these type of games. Not to mention I probably won't get an X-Box 360 or a PS3.

Draco69
Originally posted by MadMel
i doubt that. people superman are way too powerful to be played as, because you need to have equals in mmos, no matter how powerful you become.

Superman isn't the most powerful. Green Lantern, the Flash, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, etc. are all capable of beating him into the ground.

Morridini
So can Batman yet Superman is still counted as more powerful then him.

Jedi Shmedi
That's what's always bothered me about the Batman vs. Superman fights in the comics, I mean, come on, Superman more powerful than Batman? HA!!

*note the sarcasm.

If a writer would for once handle it correctly, Batman doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell against Superman. Superman (as it has been stated many times if not just blatantly obvious) is a god amoung men. He could wipe the floor with Batman.

"NO NO NO!!! Batman would see it coming! He knows all of Superman's weaknesses and would exploit them! Superman wouldn't be able to lay a hand on Batman before Batman weakens him and beats him to a pulp! He's always prepared!"

That's cute and all, but lets see here, Batman is a master of every martial arts known to man (supposedly), his suit is made of kevlar and he always carries the kryptonite ring with him "just in case". In my mind, here's how the fight would play out if it were done the right way:

Batman looks at Superman, Superman looks at Batman. Superman flies towards Batman at top speed- faster than a speeding bullet folks, that's upwards of 600 mph, "Yeah but Batman would see it coming!!" He'd have the ring ready and everything!" I'll bet. You're telling me Batman can see Superman coming at 600 mph? So, to my understanding..Batman can see bullets?... damn. Superman reaches Batman before Batman can so much as THINK to remove the ring from his belt. He would A.) Lobotomize Batman into a state of infancy B.) Punch punch a hole in his head, C.) Crush Batman's spine (hey, Bane did it, why not Supes) and rendor him in a state of paralysis. The list goes on and on.

When it all comes down to it, Batman, while one of the greatest minds on Earth, is still only human, and about as strong as one human get get without having super-powers. But he's still flesh and blood, bullets can penetrate his skin, but not Superman's, tank shells can't even make a mark on Superman, but one could kill Batman instantly (duh). One punch from Superman (more powerful than a locomotive mind you) and Batman's out for good. In the end:

SUPERMAN PWNZ BATMAN.....or at least he should.....dammit DC...

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Jedi Shmedi
That's what's always bothered me about the Batman vs. Superman fights in the comics, I mean, come on, Superman more powerful than Batman? HA!!

*note the sarcasm.

If a writer would for once handle it correctly, Batman doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell against Superman. Superman (as it has been stated many times if not just blatantly obvious) is a god amoung men. He could wipe the floor with Batman.

"NO NO NO!!! Batman would see it coming! He knows all of Superman's weaknesses and would exploit them! Superman wouldn't be able to lay a hand on Batman before Batman weakens him and beats him to a pulp! He's always prepared!"

That's cute and all, but lets see here, Batman is a master of every martial arts known to man (supposedly), his suit is made of kevlar and he always carries the kryptonite ring with him "just in case". In my mind, here's how the fight would play out if it were done the right way:

Batman looks at Superman, Superman looks at Batman. Superman flies towards Batman at top speed- faster than a speeding bullet folks, that's upwards of 600 mph, "Yeah but Batman would see it coming!!" He'd have the ring ready and everything!" I'll bet. You're telling me Batman can see Superman coming at 600 mph? So, to my understanding..Batman can see bullets?... damn. Superman reaches Batman before Batman can so much as THINK to remove the ring from his belt. He would A.) Lobotomize Batman into a state of infancy B.) Punch punch a hole in his head, C.) Crush Batman's spine (hey, Bane did it, why not Supes) and rendor him in a state of paralysis. The list goes on and on.

When it all comes down to it, Batman, while one of the greatest minds on Earth, is still only human, and about as strong as one human get get without having super-powers. But he's still flesh and blood, bullets can penetrate his skin, but not Superman's, tank shells can't even make a mark on Superman, but one could kill Batman instantly (duh). One punch from Superman (more powerful than a locomotive mind you) and Batman's out for good. In the end:

SUPERMAN PWNZ BATMAN.....or at least he should.....dammit DC...

clapping

Morridini
Luckly for Batman they are on the same side, and Superman wouldn't use all his powers on beating a friend.

WrathfulDwarf
Superman can't PWNED Batman....Green Kryptonite...nuff said.

Well, this isn't a vs. thread anyway. For shame those of you saying Batman and Superman would fight each other. They're both friends..friendship is more important than being powerful.

Anymore updates please keep them coming.

Morridini
Ok back on topic. I assume we would get to play a person who would either be a human with gadgets or something with powers, I wonder whether or not players will be able to join JLA and stuff like that.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Superman can't PWNED Batman....Green Kryptonite...nuff said.

Well, this isn't a vs. thread anyway. For shame those of you saying Batman and Superman would fight each other. They're both friends..friendship is more important than being powerful.

Anymore updates please keep them coming.

no

Not unless Batman can move faster than 600 mph. stick out tongue

MadMel
Originally posted by Draco69
Superman isn't the most powerful. Green Lantern, the Flash, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, etc. are all capable of beating him into the ground.
i meant to say "people like superman", sorry.

SaTsuJiN
ugh.. this turned into "OMG this character can beat that one" instead of a discussion about the game... /sigh..

anyways.. theres a very high chance you wont be playing any major characters.. as they would be too overpowering

my major concern is how badly SoE has been stinking up the MMO market.. and now they're taking a major franchise into their deadly claws of mediocrity... its terrifying.. O_O

penny arcade comic on the issue
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4145/20060301small2hp.jpg

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by H. S. 6
no

Not unless Batman can move faster than 600 mph. stick out tongue

Even if he could, that doesn't matter.

Superman is able to move with sub-lightspeeds if he wants...

Back to topic, though. I'm kind of concerned with SOE too, but if this game is anything like the one shown in Runaways, I am going to buy this.

Jedi Shmedi
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
ugh.. this turned into "OMG this character can beat that one" instead of a discussion about the game... /sigh..

anyways.. theres a very high chance you wont be playing any major characters.. as they would be too overpowering

my major concern is how badly SoE has been stinking up the MMO market.. and now they're taking a major franchise into their deadly claws of mediocrity... its terrifying.. O_O

penny arcade comic on the issue
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4145/20060301small2hp.jpg

Sorry bout that, I've been meaning to vent that for a while. But yeah, my only concern lies in SOE. I'm curious if they'll go with a certain artist's style. Since Jim Lee is onboard, they might go with his. Or they might just take a City of Heroes approach and not go with one artists particular look.

I'd think they'd just have you make your own character and not play an established one, with the afformentioned lack of balances between heroes and villains. I mean, the Flash against Doomsday? Okay then. But I digress, I'd prefer creating my own hero and making a name for myself, sounds like fun smile

SnakeEyes
Probably won't play it. Can't afford to.

Raoul
Just read the latest issue of Edge magazine, in which they had a decent sized article about the game...

turns out playing as canon characters isn't possible, but you can fight them, for instance, go to black adam's temple and cause enough trouble, and the man himself shows up... go to metropolis and start hurling cars around, and yup, superman turns up... you can even interfere, say, if superman is fighting lex luthor, you can jump in and help either side, depending on whether you're a hero or villain...

they said the combat was quite fluid, and the powers are balanced in such a way that you can be as powerful as anyone, and with the right kind of levelling, beat anyone...

and it looks gorgeous...

Estacado
Originally posted by Raoul
Just read the latest issue of Edge magazine, in which they had a decent sized article about the game...

turns out playing as canon characters isn't possible, but you can fight them, for instance, go to black adam's temple and cause enough trouble, and the man himself shows up... go to metropolis and start hurling cars around, and yup, superman turns up... you can even interfere, say, if superman is fighting lex luthor, you can jump in and help either side, depending on whether you're a hero or villain...

they said the combat was quite fluid, and the powers are balanced in such a way that you can be as powerful as anyone, and with the right kind of levelling, beat anyone...

and it looks gorgeous...
313wank

EvilTyrant
They showed this at E3, and Jim Lee presented it, also can see it on PSN

ragesRemorse
what ever happened to marvel online?

Magee
I am buying a PS3 when the price drops just for this game, it sounds great. I take it then you wont be able to be a green lantern or specific races like Kryptonian or Martian or have shazam like powers?

Dark-Jaxx
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
what ever happened to marvel online? Cancelled.

The game looks pretty good so far.

Magee
After reading the E3 Q&A I can't wait for this game. Character customization sounds interesting, you can pretty much copy certain superheroes abilties and looks and there will be massive events like thanagarians or Braniac invading earth and pvp'n in black adams temple only for him to show up and you need to deal with other players while BA laying in to every one like a boss mob holy shit this game will make me orgasm. What the f**k?

Kazenji
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
what ever happened to marvel online?

From what i remember for the reason is because thought it would've failed because of how popular WoW is

And this to the response for the cancellation

WrathfulDwarf
From what I've seen so far is going to be good. I'll wait for a multi-platform announcement.

brainchild81
Knowing DCs game history(and SOE), this game will very likely suck. Just like that Justice League game. I'll be surprised as hell if it's good

Kazenji
Well SOE has done alot of RPG's for the PC so it should be a walk in the park for them.

Kazenji
Originally posted by brainchild81
Knowing DCs game history(and SOE), this game will very likely suck. Just like that Justice League game. I'll be surprised as hell if it's good

But SOE did'nt make that justice league game it was Snowblind Studios.

brainchild81
I know. DC seems to always sell their stuff to studios who don't know what the fvck they're doing

Stoic
Is anyone still playing this game? I just got into it. I like it a bunch. Today I beat the hell out of the Sinestro Corps while on a mission. Well it wasn't my mission, I was asked to partner up with this Thanagarian looking guy, and we mopped up.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.