Yellowstone super volcano

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Great Vengeance
Im suprised people dont pay more attention to it, being that this thing will be our doom. Most experts agree that it is overdue to blow up(could happen by the time Im done writing this) and when it does humanity will most likely die out. Within a thousand miles of the park, everything will be simply gone. What follows is even worse, the ash will block out the sun and then it is high time to say goodbye.

-Be wary of the earth, for when it angers you will know power.-

or something like that...

debbiejo
Saw a program on it last spring.....and the ash will drift east...
And I will die!!!!....... huh

And yet no European country will adopt me.. sad

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Live your life, or fear your death; the choice is yours.

Lana
I was there over the summer...pretty damn cool place.

It could be our doom though, no guarantee it will be. It could continue to be dormant forever.

Great Vengeance
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Live your life, or fear your death; the choice is yours.

Believe me I dont worry about these things at all, just gathering everyone elses reaction.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
In that case, maybe your next thread should be about how people feel about the sky falling on their heads...

debbiejo
The sky can't fall on your head....come on now, it's just air. blink

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Did you just say that your head is full of air?

KENobi™
Originally posted by Great Vengeance
Im suprised people dont pay more attention to it, being that this thing will be our doom. Most experts agree that it is overdue to blow up(could happen by the time Im done writing this) and when it does humanity will most likely die out. Within a thousand miles of the park, everything will be simply gone. What follows is even worse, the ash will block out the sun and then it is high time to say goodbye.

-Be wary of the earth, for when it angers you will know power.-

or something like that...

Sweet.

Koala MeatPie
I saw A Discovery Channel Dramatic Scientific Special about it (or whatever)

Worst case scenario is all of Europe and South America Survives

soleran30
yes and we should also worry about the meteors that will crush the planet! so cried chicken little..............................

yeah there was a program on this actuallysmile I can say from experience when MT ST Helens exploded its affects were felt everywhere volcanic ash 4-5 inches deep and everything pretty much shut down! I have pictures of it blowing up wahoo if that volcano was true I don't doubt the affects of ash and debri affects either.......

Great Vengeance
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie

You stole some of my thunder you basterd. no expression

Darth Jello
they could just do what anchorage does and vent the tectonic gasses through exhaust tubes shaped like totem poles around the park, thus preventing an eruption.

Fishy

I'm safe smile

Take that you about to be dead losers

Bardock42
Originally posted by Fishy
I'm safe smile

Take that you about to be dead losers

I may remind you....Holland -> Global Warming -> No Holland.

Fishy
Originally posted by Bardock42
I may remind you....Holland -> Global Warming -> No Holland.

I don't like you...

debbiejo
Welcome to my world... wink stick out tongue

Bardock42
I don't like you...

Well, and God certainly doesn't like Holland much...

Fishy
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, and God certainly doesn't like Holland much...

I'll just move to Germany.. You guys have better beer anyways.

Bardock42
I'll just move to Germany.. You guys have better beer anyways.

But you have better Weed...or at least more legal one ....

Lana
Originally posted by Darth Jello
they could just do what anchorage does and vent the tectonic gasses through exhaust tubes shaped like totem poles around the park, thus preventing an eruption.

There are natural hot springs and vents and such all over the park.

Seriously, that place is really cool.

meep-meep
You know I saw the program about this super-volcano a couple months ago on the national geographic or learning channel. It's pretty crazy.
Know what's funny? Why the h3ll isn't our government spending at least 1 billion dollars to look into this?
This volcano has the potential to kill all mammal life on earth..so let's try to find out how to make a tinnier ipod. Or let's worry about abortion as much as we do. Sorry. miffed

meep-meep

That's probably a good idea, actually. Do you know if there are is anything similar to that being doing in Yosemite?

Alpha Centauri
Let's be real.

You honestly think that there would be something that dangerous on our planet WITHOUT anybody having it under control? Come on, a little common sense.

-AC

fini
UH No it does not have the potential to wipe out life on this planet.

The only thing that came close to that was the Putorana plume eruption about 250 million years ago that wiped out 75% of land vertebrates and 90% of ocean life.

There were humans( well lesser evolved) around when the last eruption occured. Dont you think that WE could certainly prepare and weather out the effects of the NEXT eruption??!??!?!?!?!!?

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by Lana
There are natural hot springs and vents and such all over the park.

Seriously, that place is really cool.

I went there as a kid and really like it. Some of the geysers are amazing

Darth Jello
this is what it boils down to, the more gas you vent, the less pressure. this means that by venting the volcanic gas constantly through vents plus the natural springs, earth lights etc. we could severely reduce the severity of a future eruption or even delay or prevent an eruption.

fini
umm, you do know that the gases being vented from the park isn't actually from the magma pocket. Its from other shallower sources.

furryman
if they created a channel to the magma surely that would initiate an eruption stick out tongue

fini
yep most definitely!!!!!!!

Darth Jello
how so?

botankus
14 days
9 hours
59 minutes
2 seconds

till it blows and we see our demise.

Fishy
Originally posted by botankus
14 days
9 hours
59 minutes
2 seconds

till it blows and we see our demise.

I just love static posts, those times will never change smile Volcana is pwnd

furryman
how so?
the magma chamber is highly pressurised, it's sitting there waiting for an escape route.

Darth Jello
and there isn't a controlled way to relieve the pressure?

fini
NO

and leave the volcano be.

I watched the program last night again. AND we have a 100,000 year window that the volcano can erupt in,. CALM THE FOCK down everyone. sheesh.

botankus
Everyone back to your computers!

debbiejo
^ That's an ugly cat!!.. sick

botankus
Hey! That looks like my cat...who's ugly.

Today's sig is courtesy of a KMC guest sig creator.

debbiejo
I like the frog though... cool

And you own a cat like that???? HAHAHAHAHA.....sorry

botankus
My cat's got a tiny brain and doesn't respond too well to complex things.

Like your new sig, Debs. I guess you're not Dreamin' anymore?

Arachnoidfreak
Yea yea, the world is going to end and humans are going to spontaneously combust/burn from lava/etc. Heard it all before.

dehammer

they might survive the blast, but how many do you think would survive if there is no sunlight for 10 to 15 years.

dehammer
Originally posted by Lana
I was there over the summer...pretty damn cool place.

It could be our doom though, no guarantee it will be. It could continue to be dormant forever

no such luck. it as created by a upwelling of magma which continues to pour into the chamber. eventually it will be too much for the earth above it and will cause it to shift, opening a crack the surface. once that happens, it will be all out in 4 to 5 days, much of it going high into the atmosphere.

dehammer
Originally posted by fini
UH No it does not have the potential to wipe out life on this planet.

The only thing that came close to that was the Putorana plume eruption about 250 million years ago that wiped out 75% of land vertebrates and 90% of ocean life.

There were humans( well lesser evolved) around when the last eruption occured. Dont you think that WE could certainly prepare and weather out the effects of the NEXT eruption??!??!?!?!?!!?

actually that is not correct. its not likely, but it could drop the temperature low enough that the thermal runaway point would be breached. if that happens, the planet will continue to freeze until the pacific ocean freezes at the equator. at that point, nothing under the ocean could get air, and nothing above it could get unfrozen water. the only thing that would survive would be the single cell plant life in the ocean.

debbiejo
eek! oh damn..........and I was worried about this mosquito in my house that's driving me nuts......

fini
Originally posted by dehammer
actually that is not correct. its not likely, but it could drop the temperature low enough that the thermal runaway point would be breached. if that happens, the planet will continue to freeze until the pacific ocean freezes at the equator. at that point, nothing under the ocean could get air, and nothing above it could get unfrozen water. the only thing that would survive would be the single cell plant life in the ocean.

UMMMMM thats not correct

the oceans can never freeze at the equator while we still have an active mantle/core.

A lot of the heat we get come from the interior of the planet. Yes we get some heat from the sun, but not alll our heat. The planet's heat will not let SOOO much water freeze. There will be an equilibirum point.

NineCoronas
Originally posted by debbiejo
The sky can't fall on your head....come on now, it's just air. blink Technically, the sky (air) is on your head already.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.