Increased Popularity = Decreased Respectability.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
When the masses appreciate something that was previously considered cult or an acquired taste, people who previously championed it desert it like a sinking ship.

Why do you think this happens? Care to give any examples? Care to smoke a fish? Care to explain your reasoning? Care to care about this thread? Care to care? Care to care to care? Care to care to care to care? OK, that's enough.

So, back to that original discussion point (repeated for emphasis):

When the masses appreciate something that was previously considered cult or an acquired taste, people who previously championed it desert it like a sinking ship.

(That was repeated for emphasis, by the way).

Why? (I'm referring to the discussion point). Which is this:

Why?

xmarksthespot
The masses are generally idiots.

DiamondBullets
Increased Popularity = Decreased Respectability

Well with rising celebs such as athletes, actors, and music artists, its cuz the fame makes them arrogant and full of themselves.

Alpha Centauri
I don't ditch bands or artists I like just because the masses have decided to jump on the bandwagon, that's silly.

It does irk me slightly that a band will be around for years, have a "hit" and then everyone is wearing their shirts, claiming they're a fan. It happened most recently in America with Muse. Three albums in and they finally broke America, then all of a sudden there's a wash of "OMG I LIEK, LOVE THEM!"

It didn't cause me to desert the band, just annoyed me. I'd only ever stop listening to a band if I believe they started making shit music.

-AC

Fishy
Which often happens if they become more popular..

However I think this statement is a bit to black and white, of course sometimes it happens that becoming popular means they begin to suck. That they stop doing what they did before, visions of glory and riches stop them from doing what they did before. And there are people who become very popular and still do what they did before, still preach what they preached before. It really often depends on the person, but if there is a lot of money involved people will often change to get it.

Alpha Centauri
Precisely.

You can be successful on your own terms, rules and conditions whilst still making the music you want. Many bands, great bands, have done it.

It's just that sometimes bands or artists set out on a particular style, realise it's not getting them anywhere and just sell out to become popular. It's BS. They don't owe it to me NOT to do that, but if that happens I don't owe it to them to keep listening.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I don't ditch bands or artists I like just because the masses have decided to jump on the bandwagon, that's silly.

It does irk me slightly that a band will be around for years, have a "hit" and then everyone is wearing their shirts, claiming they're a fan. It happened most recently in America with Muse. Three albums in and they finally broke America, then all of a sudden there's a wash of "OMG I LIEK, LOVE THEM!"

It didn't cause me to desert the band, just annoyed me. I'd only ever stop listening to a band if I believe they started making shit music.

If you've only just heard a band via the hit though, there's not much you can do.

By the way, why would they all misspell 'like'?

*edit*

To imply that they are dumb?

*edit*

Both these edits were added with the original post, so they aren't technically edits.

*edit*

Just realised they are, because time isn't an issue.

Which ironically was my initial point.

*An actual post-post edit*

I think a lot of the time, when something cult or niche becomes mainstream it is because they have altered to fit the mainstream. This often suggests by default their having become crap.

Gregory
The people who do that are generally pretentious losers who derive some sort of thrill from being "underground." Well, that's my experience, anyway.

Lana
I personally think it's really silly when people drop something they like just because it became popular. Like with Green Day (best example I can think of): "American Idiot sucks because it's popular and I don't like it anymore!!!" Yeah guess what. AI is actually a very good album. You only claim it sucks because it's popular. Get over it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
If you've only just heard a band via the hit though, there's not much you can do.

By the way, why would they all misspell 'like'?

*edit*

To imply that they are dumb?

*edit*

Both these edits were added with the original post, so they aren't technically edits.

*edit*

Just realised they are, because time isn't an issue.

Which ironically was my initial point.

*An actual post-post edit*

I think a lot of the time, when something cult or niche becomes mainstream it is because they have altered to fit the mainstream. This often suggests by default their having become crap.

I don't know what the f*ck you just said to me, man, but you're special. And I love you.

soleran30
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
The masses are generally idiots.

but we are the massessmile

Ya Krunk'd Floo
soleran30, stop talking about yourself in the pronoun of royals.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Can anyone think of any other examples outside of music?

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo

Why do you think this happens? Care to give any examples? Care to smoke a fish? Care to explain your reasoning? Care to care about this thread? Care to care? Care to care to care? Care to care to care to care? OK, that's enough.

So, back to that original discussion point (repeated for emphasis):

(That was repeated for emphasis, by the way).

Why? (I'm referring to the discussion point). Which is this:

Why?

it's pretty simple actually. The answer lies within music. When an underground band is super popular in the small clubs, everyone loves them. Then they get a major record label and they are considered 'selling out'. Why? Because when the band is in the small clubs, they are closer to the fan. The fan thinks "hey, these guys are awesome and they are the same as me, just some guy. these guys are my band."

And that's where it comes from. Suddenly the band gets famous with everyone and they aren't that one fan's band anymore, they're everyone's band, and it doesnt make him feel special for knowing about them.

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

-AC

Yeah music was the first example that jumped in my mind. It kinda sucks when a band I like gets popular and people start to like them for the wrong reasons (Green Day being a big example), but I still like the band.

Edit - sorry just realized Im about the tenth person to say this, and the 2nd to specifically name Green Day

Ya Krunk'd Floo

RedAlertv2
Lord of the Rings maybe. Im sure that many of the long-time fans of the books were annoyed at the fangirls that flocked to the films for Legolas

DiamondBullets

Uh yeah......The Superbowl and the World Series. You'll see bandwagoners comin' outta nowhere!

Capt_Fantastic
So original in her black lipstick

Listening to some obscure band

But isn't she pissed at all the other non-conformists

who listen to that same obscure band

But thats OK shes helping the enviroment

By sipping on pure water and such

Then screams we better start thinking about the OZone

layer, While tossing out a Styrofoam cup

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.