Is there something wrong with my Modem?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

XxILuvVegetaxX
Okay, since last week, I can't get online (currenty at a school computer), the reason is because my modem doesnt detect a dial tone for some reason. Everything is hooked up just fine, I got new wires just in case that was it, and I tried w/ several diff phones, and when I check the phone line there IS A DIAL TONE. So can anyone help me?

Koala MeatPie
Check if your dial in number is the right one.

Check if your home number is the right one, extentions and such and such.

TOH
Are you sure that modem drivers are correctly installed?

Hit_and_Miss
Has anything changed? new phone company, new pc part, mom hoovered up the cable? got a new phone???
have you touched anything???

Bloigen
Have you got a message on your phone? That stops Dial-Up Modems from working.

Hit_and_Miss
...along with there being oxygen in the air... Honestly this might be the time to convice your family they should get broadband...

Bloigen
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
...along with there being oxygen in the air... Honestly this might be the time to convice your family they should get broadband...

Yeah, that damn oxygen.

XxILuvVegetaxX
Chances are my modem got fried, no it is actually. Last week one of the wires fell in our neighborhood and caused a blackout, and thats wut fried my modem (my computer was on when it happened). >_< really i was praying that wasn't it and tried everything but nope thats wut happenend. it really wouldnt have mattered if i had dial up or not actually i was going to install my dsl that day!!!!!! thnk god i gots insurance and can get someone at my house to fix it for free (yaaay) still though i guess ill have to say bye bye to all my files (you can only imagine how frustrated i was cuz i spent a long time downloading certain things w/ dial up) but yeah glad ill be able to save my modem and im very happy cuz i just bought the computer a couple of months ago!

Bloigen
Originally posted by XxILuvVegetaxX
Chances are my modem got fried, no it is actually. Last week one of the wires fell in our neighborhood and caused a blackout, and thats wut fried my modem (my computer was on when it happened). >_< really i was praying that wasn't it and tried everything but nope thats wut happenend. it really wouldnt have mattered if i had dial up or not actually i was going to install my dsl that day!!!!!! thnk god i gots insurance and can get someone at my house to fix it for free (yaaay) still though i guess ill have to say bye bye to all my files (you can only imagine how frustrated i was cuz i spent a long time downloading certain things w/ dial up) but yeah glad ill be able to save my modem and im very happy cuz i just bought the computer a couple of months ago!

w00t

Hit_and_Miss
Originally posted by XxILuvVegetaxX
Chances are my modem got fried, no it is actually. Last week one of the wires fell in our neighborhood and caused a blackout, and thats wut fried my modem (my computer was on when it happened).

That happend to my friend! he had to get a new modem cause lightening stuck the phone pole out side of his house! but it didn't do any damage to the rest of his computer!

If you know any peeps who are computer savvey You could ask them to put your hard drive in there computer! it might be fine and then could get the data from the disk for you...

XxILuvVegetaxX
*sighs* still waiting for em to come fix my computer. yup everything w/ my computer works just fine except the internet thingy....its so boring not able to get online lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.