-=- Self Destructive DVDs -=-

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Koala MeatPie
This has Been a debate that has been going on for years.

The Label Companies Want to make DVDs that auto-destroy themselves after only one use.

Reasons why:

Rentals, no need to retunr

Anti-Piracy

This has been going on for years, they keep on suggesting it, making prototypes, then it gets shot down.

http://techdirt.com/articles/20060227/135244_F.shtml

Wolfie
That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

As the article said, is returning your movie really so hard to do? With Netflix and the like, you don't even have to leave your house to return the damn movie. Simply throwing the DVD away doesn't add much convenience.

Let's look at it from Netflix's point of view. They have to keep up their supply of DVDs, since they can't get some support from returns. That would cost video rentals a great deal more money and it's just not worth it to them.

The article said that a DVD would have an expiration date. However, as you say, if it self destructs after one use, what's to stop me from burning a billion copies of it before watching it? Something like this will not help the piracy issue.

And Disney planning on selling these?! That's typical of them but obviously, that would drop sales 99.9999%. Who wants to buy a DVD that's only good for a month?

Cinemaddiction
This has been bounced around for years. It's about as bad as McDonalds red box rentals.

Lightningrod
Originally posted by Wolfie
That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

As the article said, is returning your movie really so hard to do? With Netflix and the like, you don't even have to leave your house to return the damn movie. Simply throwing the DVD away doesn't add much convenience.

Let's look at it from Netflix's point of view. They have to keep up their supply of DVDs, since they can't get some support from returns. That would cost video rentals a great deal more money and it's just not worth it to them.

The article said that a DVD would have an expiration date. However, as you say, if it self destructs after one use, what's to stop me from burning a billion copies of it before watching it? Something like this will not help the piracy issue.

And Disney planning on selling these?! That's typical of them but obviously, that would drop sales 99.9999%. Who wants to buy a DVD that's only good for a month?

Disney has money stick out tongue

MildPossession
What morons.

tabby999
waste of materials and money trying to do that, the company buys one dvd to rent out and its rented 40 times. the company make their money and its still available for rent. they buy a one use disk and they have to pay for it 40 times. how could the make money?

Nevermind
It is one of the most unmarketable, pointless & stupidest ideas I have heard.

Buckaroo
They did this with a christmas movie called Noel. The dvd was released while the movie was out in theaters. And the disc only lasted 48 hours after you open it. As far as self destructing goes, I just know they become unplayable. But if this were to become a norm on Bizarro world or something, then they would build a lot of waste, non?

Joker1237
Yeah pretty dumb lol.

I mean if the DVD's become unplayble after some used, How can they make money??

The rental will END up buying MORE DVDs to replace the unplayble DVDs, and when they become unplayble, They will end up SPENDED MORE money to buy More DVDs. So instand of a DVD lasted ten years, and SAVING the place money. They have to buy a new DVD like evey month. And thats a waste of money, Time, and I guess manpower.

systemshock2
The plan could work if they stopped pricing them at such ridiculous prices. I saw several of them when they were out at a grocery store, and they were marked at $6.99 to $7.99 a piece. That's almost twice as much as the average digital cable movie order. And it has to be longer than the two days that I saw at the store. Make it around a week and people will be more flexible with the idea. I can see where they're going with this. Just like disposable cameras, if you make it convenient enough for people it'll slowly pick up speed and fly. But the prices have got to drop to about $.99 to $1.99 and such.

jenzie
POINTLESS

Wolfie
Originally posted by systemshock2
The plan could work if they stopped pricing them at such ridiculous prices. I saw several of them when they were out at a grocery store, and they were marked at $6.99 to $7.99 a piece. That's almost twice as much as the average digital cable movie order. And it has to be longer than the two days that I saw at the store. Make it around a week and people will be more flexible with the idea. I can see where they're going with this. Just like disposable cameras, if you make it convenient enough for people it'll slowly pick up speed and fly. But the prices have got to drop to about $.99 to $1.99 and such.
But you don't buy a disposable camera to enjoy it. You buy it to enjoy the pictures.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.