Why did Dooku give Obiwan a chance?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DiamondBullets
"As you can see, my Jedi powers are far beyond your's.....now back down."

^ He certainly didn't think Obi had a chance. I think it was cuz he was still interested in having him as a potential apprentice.

The novel never said he sensed Yoda approaching the hangar, in fact he was taken completely off guard by his suprise appearance.

roughrider
Novels are not canon, as much as the movies are.

Dooku's full motives in joining the Sith are still not known to us. The mystery will go on for a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_Dooku

Sesse
Why fight if you can win with diplomacy?

Cascador
Dooku didn't want to kill Obi-Wan as he knew he might be of service in the Clone Wars.

craft-a-saber
Originally posted by DiamondBullets

^ He certainly didn't think Obi had a chance. I think it was cuz he was still interested in having him as a potential apprentice.

The novel never said he sensed Yoda approaching the hangar, in fact he was taken completely off guard by his suprise appearance.

dooku likes to think of himself as a bit of an aristocrat
i think it makes him look as though he is even more powerful if he can let a potentially dangerous jedi loose

i think he was one of the coolest characters in the PT

Tangible God
Dooku's an Aristocrat eh?

Hey, did you hear about that family of Sith who walked into a talent agent's office?

Stun

no expression i'd hardly call loosing consciousness after getting tossed around, then magically reappearing as a dummy on Anakin's back as 'giving somone a chance.'laughing out loud

.:Space Opera:.
Q: why did dooku give obi a chance?

A: because lucas forgot how to write intimidating dialogue.

kamikz
Dooku had the plans of the death star and could expect more jedi coming, why would he stay and risk to be killed. I guess he wanted Obi-Wan to back down so he could avoid a fight and get away quickly, but since Obi-Wan didn't he had to fight him.

Arker

Because Dooku wanted Obi-Wan to join him. Remember...
"Join us, Obi-Wan."

Wikipedia isn't a reliable source; anyone can edit it.

Exactly.

Numan
Due to the fact that Kenobi was also Qui Gon's apprentice, Dooku might have thought that he would bring a bit more of Jinn back through Kenobi.

systemshock2
It seemed to me that Dooku gave him a chance so that he could show off his new powers and advanced dueling techniques. Just look at the face Dooku makes, the baited with anticipation face, as he ignites his lightsaber.

Cascador
Dooku is a warlord...he is an elegant warrior true...but its about war mainly, not lightsaberfighting, so why did he had to show off his lightsaber skills...

Darth Vious
Originally posted by Tangible God
Dooku's an Aristocrat eh?
Yes, when he left the Jedi Order, he assumed his inherited title of Count, and took control of his family's wealth. By any definition, that makes him an artistocrat.

Originally posted by Cascador
so why did he had to show off his lightsaber skills...
Arrogance, Ego, Pride, whatever you want to call it. He wanted to flaunt his skills over those of his former tutor. Anyone who has undergone any kind of training will know the feeling of pride they get when they surpass their tutor's skills and teachings. It is a poor student who cannot eventually best their tutor.

Cascador
Originally posted by Darth Vious
Arrogance, Ego, Pride, whatever you want to call it. He wanted to flaunt his skills over those of his former tutor. Anyone who has undergone any kind of training will know the feeling of pride they get when they surpass their tutor's skills and teachings. It is a poor student who cannot eventually best their tutor.

pride? Sure...that's why you see the regret on his face when he defeated Anakin and Obi-Wan. Cause he considered the Jedi still as his brothers. The only reason he uses that attitude is because his enemies would see a weakness in him if he didn't. Dooku couldn't show himself weak so he acted overconfident, too overconfident in ep III, You can see he gets afraid when he loses to Yoda...

SpyCspider
Originally posted by Darth Vious
Yes, when he left the Jedi Order, he assumed his inherited title of Count, and took control of his family's wealth. By any definition, that makes him an artistocrat.

i hope i'm not the only one who got Tangible's joke laughing

"So Padme, Vader, Luke, and Leia walk into the talent agency's office..." This can turn really disturbing quick

Darth Subjekt
Originally posted by Cascador
pride? Sure...that's why you see the regret on his face when he defeated Anakin and Obi-Wan. Cause he considered the Jedi still as his brothers. The only reason he uses that attitude is because his enemies would see a weakness in him if he didn't. Dooku couldn't show himself weak so he acted overconfident, too overconfident in ep III, You can see he gets afraid when he loses to Yoda...

i dont know..i think he was winded. Like he wasnt expecting anakin to be that much work. I think he might have had a softer spot for OB1 being as he was his apprentice's apprentice and respected Qui-Gon's opinion and feelings. But i really dont think he still thought of them as brothers. If he had, then there would be no way he could be a Sith. And Palps would have seen through all that shit. I just think he was tired.

DiamondBullets
^ yes I think respect for Qui-Gon was certainly a factor.

Council#13
Originally posted by Sesse
Why fight if you can win with diplomacy?
Cause fighting is a hell lot more fun rolling on floor laughing
^ yes I think respect for Qui-Gon was certainly a factor.

And in the ROTS novel, he said (when Sidious asked what was his intrest in Kenobi) that Obi-Wan was in a way his grandson, because his master was Qui-Gon, who was Dooku's apprentice. Master-Apprentice bond is like a parent child bond

systemshock2
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
i dont know..i think he was winded. Like he wasnt expecting anakin to be that much work.

I agree with that. He looked like Anakin gave him a lot more fight than he expected.

Cascador
Originally posted by Council#13
And in the ROTS novel, he said (when Sidious asked what was his intrest in Kenobi) that Obi-Wan was in a way his grandson, because his master was Qui-Gon, who was Dooku's apprentice. Master-Apprentice bond is like a parent child bond

I don't disagree, but just remind that it is a novel and not pure canon.

Council#13
True

PVS
"your swords please. we dont want to make a mess of things in front of the chancellor" followed by "i.ve been looking forward to this"

dooku likes to use words to intimidate, and convince his opponent that they dont stand a chance.

when dooku told obiwan to back down, he punctuated his sentence with force lightning. he expected to "back down" obiwan right through the wall.

so yeah, he was just talking trash and nothing more.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.