Stereotype

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JacopeX
What i cant stand is people who think and be stereotype. Its stupid that jus becuz one person in somethin, it means that everyone else like that person is that. Where the **** did you get the idea that Latinos/Mexicans/Hispanics smell bad and always drink? Asians are the best with math? Germans are Nazi's? Religious people woyuld belive anything ((meanin there dumb) ? Yo, why do people stereotype about a certain type of race/religion/people. It gets me so pissed when people act like this. I dont know but mostly americans are the most stereotypes. In the end, they think there the best and yes its like that in other countries but its said that stereotypes are mostly americans ((no i wuznt the one who said that)).

"Stereotypes are seen by many as undesirable beliefs which can be altered through education and/or familiarization. However, stereotypes need not be confined to negative characterizations about individuals or groups, and can thus have positive characterizations."

If you do stereotype people, why do you do it? Why do people stereotype each other if in the end, it might be false? And what is spreadin this.

I think we should stop this and just think of each other as normal people!

Black Rob
Isnt it a stereotype that americans are stereotyped?

KharmaDog
Originally posted by JacopeX
If you do stereotype people, why do you do it? Why do people stereotype each other if in the end, it might be false? And what is spreadin this.

A better question might be, "why do people consciously act in stereotypical manners thereby fulfilling all prerequisites that lead them to be stereotyped"?

Gregory
We always hear about how stereotypes are bad. Yeh, yeh, I get where that's coming from. At the same time, different cultures are, well, different. If I said that Japanese people were generally polite but xenophobic, is that a stereotype? An accurate assessment of their culture? Or maybe it's both maybe stereotypes can be true, and we shouldn't always worry about getting rid of them.

Hit_and_Miss
tell me, who likes the simpsons?

Gregory
Excuse me?

JacopeX
Originally posted by Gregory
We always hear about how stereotypes are bad. Yeh, yeh, I get where that's coming from. At the same time, different cultures are, well, different. If I said that Japanese people were generally polite but xenophobic, is that a stereotype? An accurate assessment of their culture? Or maybe it's both maybe stereotypes can be true, and we shouldn't always worry about getting rid of them. But the stereotypes that are insulting is wut should stop.

Gregory
What if an insulting stereotype is true?

Hit_and_Miss
Originally posted by Gregory
Excuse me?

Its simple... The reason people stereotype so much,

1) cause there is usally some truth
2) People don't wana admit to it, but they cause people to laugh... The simpsons is a prime example, every episode is filled with stereotypes.. Just think to any of the eps where they went on holiday.... Seeing these Stereotypes cause people to think about all the people they know who fit in to the stereotype, "lol look, homer meeting some gays, LOL! hes getting fashion tips from them, Roffle thats soo true..."

Does anyone like southpark????

KharmaDog
Jacopex himself acts in a very stereotypical manner. It's funny that he should start this thread.

Hit_and_Miss
yer... anyone below the age of 16 can't type without swearing or using horrible txt spk.... combined with a general lack of grammar and spelling

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Jacopex himself acts in a very stereotypical manner. It's funny that he should start this thread.

just curious as to which stereotype he's fulfilling.

is it comprehensible.....

Inspectah Deck

Yes, ironic too

JacopeX
How am i stereotype??? confused

furryman
stereotyping is simply an easy method of categorising people's character traits, behaviour, appearance etc.
based on our past experience, and using this as an oversimplified prejudice if someone fits.

people that actively seek to imitate a stereotype probably just favour it's attributes and want to feel a sense of belonging to a certain group.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by furryman
people that actively seek to imitate a stereotype probably just favour it's attributes and want to feel a sense of belonging to a certain group.

Or lack the confidence, maturity or self respect to develop a personality all of their own.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by furryman
stereotyping is simply an easy method of categorising people's character traits, behaviour, appearance etc.
based on our past experience, and using this as an oversimplified prejudice if someone fits.

Most stereotypical comments have some tangible facts behind. No matter how prejudice

Makedde
Asians are the best with math?

I believe they are. Many, many Aisan excell with computers and math. It may have something to do with their genes.

I also believe that black people make the fastest runners, especially those from places like Jamaca. They are are alot faster than whites, maybe to do with their genes, too.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Makedde
I believe they are. Many, many Aisan excell with computers and math. It may have something to do with their genes.

I also believe that black people make the fastest runners, especially those from places like Jamaca. They are are alot faster than whites, maybe to do with their genes, too.

Or maybe alot of practice

Makedde
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
Or maybe alot of practice

No, I just believe it's what they are naturally good at. You can be a natural at art, but never have picked up a brush. People are just naturally gifted at these things.

allofyousuckkk
the gay stereotype drives me up the wall. Guys can't do anything nowadays without being accused of being gay. If you have a light voice, your gay, if you talk with your hands, your gay, if you spend more than 30 serconds on your hair, your gay.

ya, sorry for the random thought

Makedde
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
the gay stereotype drives me up the wall. Guys can't do anything nowadays without being accused of being gay. If you have a light voice, your gay, if you talk with your hands, your gay, if you spend more than 30 serconds on your hair, your gay.

If you're a male hairdresser, or fashion designer, you're gay. But many are, anyway.

Quiero Mota

What stereotype is he contributing to?

Phat J
No, I just believe it's what they are naturally good at. You can be a natural at art, but never have picked up a brush. People are just naturally gifted at these things.

entire races arent though, i know a few black kids that i can run faster than.

you obviously do all these things, you homo. cannot stand these gay people. stick out tongue

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Phat J
you obviously do all these things, you homo. cannot stand these gay people. stick out tongue

laughing out loud

powerfulone1987
entire races arent though, i know a few black kids that i can run faster than.

uncalled for.

Phat J
shut the **** up

powerfulone1987
I was thinking about posting the same thing to you.

But I'm better than that............and you.

Ya Krunk'd Floo

Just to debunk your reasoning for a stereotype: It has nothing to do with their genes, but everything to do with their culture and how they are taught Math. In Asia, from Kindergarten children are taught how to use a computer. In grade 1, they have 2 computer classes each week where they are taught the specifics of computer manipulation. Most Asian children are also taught Math using an abacus, either by their teachers or their parents. Debunktion complete.

A stereotype is merely the end result of categorizing the shared traits of particular groups of people. Of course, everyone is different, but within certain groups - be they ethnic or social - certain similarities exist. However, people often use stereotypes as a way of being derogatory about a group or a person, that's when their use becomes unattractive.

Phat J
i was wondering when this was gonna happen.

just because i told you to get out of my thread 6 months ago? get over it.

powerfulone1987
ummm...it happened b/c of your post above that was ridiculously immature and uncalled for.

If I really wanted to cause problems I would have stayed in the thread you created, but to avoid all of that "below me" behavior, I left, b/c I knew you wouldn't be able to control yourself and nothing would get accomplished in your thread. I mean think about it. Why would I wait 6 months to do what I could have been doing 6 months ago. You're not that important, not at all.
You act as if you put me out. I chose to leave and have not returned even until this day even though I could have.

It's called being the bigger person.

And to demonstrate it to you once more.

I'm through with you now.

Goodbye.

Phat J
i was obviously joking around, those of us with a sense of humour like to do that sometimes.

your so bad ass powerfulone1987. shit, i wish i was as cool as you.

botankus
i was obviously joking around, those of us with a sense of humour like to do that sometimes.

your so bad ass powerfulone1987. shit, i wish i was as cool as you.

You should jump in a Halle Berry thread some time and see how she's valiantly defended by the powerfulone from 1987 to the incomprehensible death!

Eis
So true... laughing out loud
But I don't think stereotypes are so strict. I mean everyone thinks latinos have dark skin/eyes/hair and mainly, it's true but not all latinos are like that, I'm latino and I have blue eyes and light hair. So, stereotypes are generalizations and frankly a lot of the time they are true...

Fire
What i cant stand is people who think and be stereotype. Its stupid that jus becuz one person in somethin, it means that everyone else like that person is that. Where the **** did you get the idea that Latinos/Mexicans/Hispanics smell bad and always drink? Asians are the best with math? Germans are Nazi's? Religious people woyuld belive anything ((meanin there dumb) ? Yo, why do people stereotype about a certain type of race/religion/people. It gets me so pissed when people act like this. I dont know but mostly americans are the most stereotypes. In the end, they think there the best and yes its like that in other countries but its said that stereotypes are mostly americans ((no i wuznt the one who said that)).

"Stereotypes are seen by many as undesirable beliefs which can be altered through education and/or familiarization. However, stereotypes need not be confined to negative characterizations about individuals or groups, and can thus have positive characterizations."

all people stereotype people in some way or another. Most stereotypes hold a ground of truth, tho they obviously generalize a great deal.

One of the stereotypes and prejudices that most people commonly use is that most of the people you meet in the street are not going to hurt you. I know it's not really what you ment by it. But I think this holds a lot of truth. My psychology professor started off his classes about stereotypes and prejudice with that.

botankus
Originally posted by Eis
But I don't think stereotypes are so strict. I mean everyone thinks latinos have dark skin/eyes/hair and mainly, it's true but not all latinos are like that, I'm latino and I have blue eyes and light hair. So, stereotypes are generalizations and frankly a lot of the time they are true...

What's funny is that most of the Latinos on Univision look like you, with blond hair and blue eyes. (or they used to; haven't checked in a while).

Eis
Originally posted by botankus
What's funny is that most of the Latinos on Univision look like you, with blond hair and blue eyes. (or they used to; haven't checked in a while).
What the hell is univision?? But it sounds veeery south american. laughing out loud

botankus
It's a television channel that's entirely in Spanish. I think last year it was in the top 10 cable networks watched in the US.

Eis

I agree with that... Everyone thinks gay people are bunch of fashion-loving "queens". But then again, most gay people who are "out" are like that... At least in my expirience.

It's a television channel that's entirely in Spanish. I think last year it was in the top 10 cable networks watched in the US.
Think I've heard of it... but of all the times I've been in the US I never watched TV... Thousands of hot shirtless men in miami! stick out tongue

lil bitchiness

We all stereotpye to a certain extent - that is how we recognise the world around us.
We all have an overall view of a particular religion, ''race'' or culture.
There is a truth in every stereotpye - its how the stereotype came to be.

However, stereotyping many people do, do so in the name of sexism, racism and discrimination and are done so because people have a complex about anything that isn't like them.

Mindship
Stereotyping is good. I put both speakers by my keyboard, and they do all the work. What's the prob?

JacopeX
Originally posted by Eis
But I don't think stereotypes are so strict. I mean everyone thinks latinos have dark skin/eyes/hair and mainly, it's true but not all latinos are like that, I'm latino and I have blue eyes and light hair. So, stereotypes are generalizations and frankly a lot of the time they are true... For the third time, how do I stereotype?

Eis
For the third time, how do I stereotype?
IMO, you fit the "latino gansta" stereotype.

Hit_and_Miss
you do realise that Hot ass song is like 2/3 years old??

Eis
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
you do realise that Hot ass song is like 2/3 years old??
I fail to see how that has anything to do with what we're discussing.

JacopeX
Originally posted by Eis
IMO, you fit the "latino gansta" stereotype. Thats the old me, right now im tryin to have a great life.

JacopeX
you do realise that Hot ass song is like 2/3 years old?? So? and....its still hot, please dont change the suject

soleran30
easy instructions to stereotype................pick anyone anywhere white,black, latin, indian whatever..............now pick some common body/facial features......................whenever you speak of a white, black, latino, indian whatever make sure you reference to your previous observation of said common features of whites, blacks, latinos etc now you can be a professional stereotyper at the 100 level!

manny321
immigrants are all welfare collectors is very unture but popular sterotype. However it is said by people who don't live anywhere near an immigrant population or know an immigrant.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
I was thinking about posting the same thing to you.

But I'm better than that............and you.

No...

Hit_and_Miss
Originally posted by Eis
I fail to see how that has anything to do with what we're discussing.
So? and....its still hot, please dont change the suject
please... this was hardly on track from the start... and you don't really help the thread with such a rambled topic post...

yes it was a good song, But that barbaric butchered one by some mummy guy ruins it..

Quiero Mota

Yep, and the same thing goes for Telemundo. Most of the anchors/hosts on Spanish networks aired in the US are actually white people who speak Spanish, because they happen to be citizens of Latin countries. A lady who's an anchor on a Telemundo news show is actually a German Mexican with blue eyes and blonde hair. I think the fact that Telemundo is owned by NBC has something to do with it.

Quiero Mota

ILoveMyDaniel

Everyone stereotypes me. I got called emo the other day, of course that person is on ignore now. I am in no way emo or associated with the type of people such as emo's.

JacopeX
please... this was hardly on track from the start... and you don't really help the thread with such a rambled topic post...

yes it was a good song, But that barbaric butchered one by some mummy guy ruins it.. Uh theres only one guy in the whole song man. And youre talkin bout DJ mummy.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by ILoveMyDaniel
Everyone stereotypes me. I got called emo the other day, of course that person is on ignore now. I am in no way emo or associated with the type of people such as emo's.

Are you goth?

ILoveMyDaniel
Are you goth?
You can call me that if you want. I'm my own self. I wear black about 6 out of 7 days of the week. But gothic and emo are on different ends of the spectrum, here.

Inspectah Deck
What do you consider yourself then?

Hit_and_Miss
Uh theres only one guy in the whole song man. And youre talkin bout DJ mummy.

you can't of heard the original... the song is near enough the same just without the crappy horn blowing and Dj mummy bits... its a heck of a lot better....

I don't remember its name but I remember it playin in a club I use to go to a bout 2 yrs ago... I remember it for 1 line.. when he rants about her P*ssy

JacopeX
you can't of heard the original... the song is near enough the same just without the crappy horn blowing and Dj mummy bits... its a heck of a lot better....

I don't remember its name but I remember it playin in a club I use to go to a bout 2 yrs ago... I remember it for 1 line.. when he rants about her P*ssy Nah man, the bubbling remix is da best period

JacopeX
And i still didnt get my answer of how do I stereotype

ILoveMyDaniel
What do you consider yourself then?
My own type of person, honestly.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.