Should I buy an iPod?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KENobi™
I know they are worth the money and everything, but I've always had a hard time parting with a good amount of money.

So I ask you KMC on whether or not I should buy a 30gig iPod.

I have approximately $1000, $300 of it needed to fix my car, plus some more for registration etc. So I have enough left over for food, car insurance, and rent for the next month or so.

Keep in mind I don't have a job at the moment.

Is it worth the investment for me based on my finances?

Morning_Glory
actually i change my answer on the poll.. now that i see how much money you actually have... you should save your money.. dont think you will really have as much left over if you buy the ipod/ if any / or if any at all left over to actually buy the ipod

i dont know confused it's up to you

dave123
No, get a cheaper MP3 player

KENobi™
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
actually i change my answer on the poll.. now that i see how much money you actually have... you should save your money.. dont think you will really have as much left over if you buy the ipod/ if any / or if any at all left over to actually buy the ipod

i dont know confused it's up to you

The 30 gig costs $299 +tax

Originally posted by dave123
No, get a cheaper MP3 player

With video playback? Point me to a cheap one with video and I may choose that.

dave123
My friend had a pretty nice one: not sure of the specs, but it was cheaper than iPod

Morning_Glory
still $300.00 is still pretty high.. espeically for someone who only has a set amount of money and has other things to def. buy first -

but there are cheaper MP3 players that are just as good.... *ahem* like the Zen. www.creative.com

KENobi™
still $300.00 is still pretty high.. espeically for someone who only has a set amount of money and has other things to def. buy first -

but there are cheaper MP3 players that are just as good.... *ahem* like the Zen. www.creative.com

Actually, I'm only procrastinating at the moment. Been unemployed for 2 months and have only spent $500. Once my money runs low I have a job lined up that will hire me and it comes with housing for only $75 a month including utilities.

Alpha Centauri
Do you need video playback or do you want it because it sounds good?

How often are you going to be sitting around and feel the need to watch a music video Vs the need to listen to an album or song?

Nowadays you can't avoid buying an iPod with video because they've become default, though.

-AC

KENobi™

Just checked out Zen...it actually costs more than iPod (same capacity w/video) and it's bulkier.

KENobi™
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Do you need video playback or do you want it because it sounds good?

How often are you going to be sitting around and feel the need to watch a music video Vs the need to listen to an album or song?

Nowadays you can't avoid buying an iPod with video because they've become default, though.

-AC

If I were just going to be listening to music, I'd get a Nano...but the one with Video and lots more HDD space is less than $100 more.

Plus I could watch TV shows downloaded from iTunes during car trips, etc.

Revernd Maynard

but there are cheaper MP3 players that are just as good.... *ahem* like the Zen. www.creative.com Like the new Creative Zen Vision: M

exactally like the ipod video except it plays WMA and WMV file formates droolio

KENobi™
Originally posted by Revernd Maynard
Like the new Creative Zen Vision: M

exactally like the ipod video except it plays WMA and WMV file formates droolio

Bigger, more money (though not much).

Revernd Maynard

Lana
I'd say go for it, if you know you'll be able to get hired by that new job yes

KENobi™
Originally posted by Lana
I'd say go for it, if you know you'll be able to get hired by that new job yes

It's a 99% chance I've got the job, even though I have yet to fill out an application.

I worked there before for over a year, and there are tons of positions available if I can't get hired on in my old position.

JKozzy

Smallville

KENobi™
Originally posted by JKozzy
I was just going to post the Creative Zen Vision M.

CNet Video Review: http://reviews.cnet.com/Creative_Zen_Vision_M_30GB_green/4505-6490_7-31632697.html
CNet Article Review: http://reviews.cnet.com/Creative_Zen_Vision_M_30GB_green/4505-6490_7-31632697-2.html?tag=nav

Personally, even $30 more, I would get it over the 5th generation iPod. Size doesn't really matter to me -- the thing is still smaller than any CD player, well, any CD. Smaller than a portable casette player, too. It has a built-in FM tuner, and is compatible with WMA and WMV, which makes creating your own videos much less of a hassle than with the iPod.

Not only does it accept WMV, but it also can use DivX, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, and XviD. For what it's worth, Zen Vision M's screen displays 262,000 colors to the iPod's 65,000.

iPod's video life is two hours, while the Zen's is four. "If you're really into video, that extra battery life makes a world of difference, as we have consistently run out of juice prematurely when multitasking with an iPod." The CNet review is really good.

If I were to choose, I would go with Zen Vision M, simply basing my decision on the compatibility range, prolonged battery life, and FM tuner.

Hmm...those 2 extra hours of video would come in handy, not to mention you have to buy the FM tuner for iPod.

I checked prices and Buy.com has the Zen Vision: M for $309 and free shipping.

Revernd Maynard

CNet Video Review: http://reviews.cnet.com/Creative_Zen_Vision_M_30GB_green/4505-6490_7-31632697.html
CNet Article Review: http://reviews.cnet.com/Creative_Zen_Vision_M_30GB_green/4505-6490_7-31632697-2.html?tag=nav

Personally, even $30 more, I would get it over the 5th generation iPod. Size doesn't really matter to me -- the thing is still smaller than any CD player, well, any CD. Smaller than a portable casette player, too. It has a built-in FM tuner, and is compatible with WMA and WMV, which makes creating your own videos much less of a hassle than with the iPod.

Not only does it accept WMV, but it also can use DivX, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, and XviD. For what it's worth, Zen Vision M's screen displays 262,000 colors to the iPod's 65,000.

iPod's video life is two hours, while the Zen's is four. "If you're really into video, that extra battery life makes a world of difference, as we have consistently run out of juice prematurely when multitasking with an iPod." The CNet review is really good.

If I were to choose, I would go with Zen Vision M, simply basing my decision on the compatibility range, prolonged battery life, and FM tuner. Cnet thought it was better than the 5th gen ipod~

Morning_Glory

JKozzy
i have one.. it tiny-- it's smaller than than the palm of my hand.. it is a little thicker erm..

mine only costs about $120 -- but thats cause i got it off of ebay== but maybe you should get your ipod off of ebay = it's a little cheaper
And much less dependable... I would never buy such a device used.

KENobi™
Originally posted by Smallville
No. Dont do it.

If you are currently unemployed, you will probably need the money for something else before a luxury. If you find a job soon, then of course. But, dont buy one until you take care of that.

The word of the day is job. J-O-B. Job.

Like I said, the money isn't really a problem, I've got a job basically in the bag but I'm just milking my "vacation" as it were. Not to mention my parents would of course help out with any financial help I need since I've never had to ask them for money before, unlike my sisters who constantly need financial help.

Smallville

BackFire
I could never reasonably decide to buy one for $300, there are better places to put that money (like buying video games or computer upgrades or hookers, or just saving it).

I'd suggest you get a cheaper one, video playback is probably a nice feature and all, but how often will you really NEED to use it? It sounds like one of those things you'd use a lot when it's new just because you can, but once its novelty wore off it's probably just another glossy but unnecessary feature implimented just so they can charge more. I could see needing it if you fly a lot, or if you're on the road or out of the house a lot in a place where a TV isn't available and you have enough free time to watch videos. But other than that I think it's too much money to justify spending on such a novelty.

So, if you think you'd really get some good use out of it, the video playback feature, that is, than go for it. Otherwise, buy a cheaper one and save some money.

Piggle Humsy
yay go creative!! danceemo
I am so glad to see alot of Creative support, not so long ago it was basically unheard of!
I have a Creative Zen Micro and I Luuuuurrrrrvve it! wub

I think It looks so much nicer than it's ipod opponent.. the ipod mini. sick
and outdid it in every review that I read about it. big grin

Morning_Glory

If I were to choose, I would go with Zen Vision M, simply basing my decision on the compatibility range, prolonged battery life, and FM tuner.

that looks cool happy

Morning_Glory

Ive had mine for over a year and I love my Zen in_love

KENobi™

Oh hell no, I never would.

1. Fakers, selling mp3 players that are made to look like iPod, etc.
2. Used, mean that the battery has been charged and re-charged, so the battery capacity is actually less than it used to be.

Tired Hiker
Who needs an iPod when you can just sing! Sing, I say! It's free! I'm free! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! hi2

Revernd Maynard
Originally posted by Tired Hiker
Who needs an iPod when you can just sing! Sing, I say! It's free! I'm free! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! hi2 .......score...free TH w00t

Morning_Glory
yea singing is good too

KENobi™
Originally posted by BackFire
I could never reasonably decide to buy one for $300, there are better places to put that money (like buying video games or computer upgrades or hookers, or just saving it).

I'd suggest you get a cheaper one, video playback is probably a nice feature and all, but how often will you really NEED to use it? It sounds like one of those things you'd use a lot when it's new just because you can, but once its novelty wore off it's probably just another glossy but unnecessary feature implimented just so they can charge more. I could see needing it if you fly a lot, or if you're on the road or out of the house a lot in a place where a TV isn't available and you have enough free time to watch videos. But other than that I think it's too much money to justify spending on such a novelty.

So, if you think you'd really get some good use out of it, the video playback feature, that is, than go for it. Otherwise, buy a cheaper one and save some money.

I actually would use Video a lot. My family drives into Vegas frequently which is about an hour drive (not counting traffic), when at work with nothing to do (when I get my job back there is lots of free time where we can do whatever we want). I can't get enough of The Simpson's, Family Guy, Futurama, etc... so it would get a lot of use.

JKozzy

KENobi™
Who needs an iPod when you can just sing! Sing, I say! It's free! I'm free! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! hi2

That's what I was told when I bought my first car.

"The radio doesn't work and besides there aren't any speakers in the car. So if you want to listen to music I suggest you sing."

Needless to say, I bought a CD player and speakers and installed them right away. laughing out loud

Morning_Glory
ok

BackFire

Tired Hiker
.......score...free TH w00t

Batteries not included! roll eyes (sarcastic)

KENobi™
I have a Nomad Zen Xtra for over a year and a half and I've had nothing but good experience with it. My only beef is buying expensive electronics from ebay. As Ken put it,

Precisely my point. Or better yet, you'd just get a flat-out dead player.

And not to mention, the supposed good iPod's, etc., on eBay are selling for about full price anyways even though they're used.

Morning_Glory
well I bought my Zen off of ebay and have had it over a year now and it has been really great - no complaints happy

Revernd Maynard
Batteries not included! roll eyes (sarcastic) what a rip off

JKozzy

Morning_Glory
happy yep

Tired Hiker
what a rip off

No, I run on pure positive vibes, yo!

BackFire

I want to buy a Hiker-Pod Nano!

JKozzy
Let me know what you end up getting Ken, I'm interested to know.

KENobi™
Let me know what you end up getting Ken, I'm interested to know.

After doing more research, I'm leaning towards the Zen. That extra battery life/FM tuner/more file extensions compatible/etc are pleasing.

I'm gonna find out if my local Radio Shack carries them, otherwise I'd have to drive to Vegas and find a store with them in stock...or I can buy online and wait for one to arrive.

I'm not 100% decided on if I even am going to get one yet, but I'm close.

Zebina

KENobi™
Originally posted by Zebina
In my opinion...I'd get one. But get the nano. You'll never it up, and it costs 100 dollars less

Trust me, I can fill it up...nano doesn't have video either.

DarkC
Yeah, iPod nano I've heard good things of.

Zebina

Koala MeatPie
NO! God no! Don't buy an iPod!

Buy an iRiver, for the SAME PRICE

20gb, color screen, eBook, FM radio, Radio recorder, Voice Recorder, VIDEO And photo viewing.

Plus it is VERY simple to use, nice interface.

KENobi™
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie

20gb, color screen, eBook, FM radio, Radio recorder, Voice Recorder, VIDEO And photo viewing.

Plus it is VERY simple to use, nice interface.

Same price yet 10gigs less capacity.

JKozzy
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie

Plus it is VERY simple to use, nice interface. That's ten gigs less, and the Zen does all that and more erm

Originally posted by DarkC
Yeah, iPod nano I've heard good things of. I work at Target. Nanos have to be the most flawed iPod... we've had too many returns for the Nano freezing up beyond a user's control, and the thing is fragile as feck, you sit on it and that thing's toast. I don't need minimal storage in a credit-card sized MP3 player. I want durability, quality, and quantity. Seeing the Nano lacks all three of those qualities, I discourage purchase of the device. That is, unless you HAVE to have the smallest MP3 player out there... not sure what the infatuation with that is, honestly.

mysterio69
need money? jeez. sell your body, kenobi. there's lots of old ladies willing to spend their pension on a young dude looking for money.

KENobi™
Originally posted by mysterio69
need money? jeez. sell your body, kenobi. there's lots of old ladies willing to spend their pension on a young dude looking for money.

I already know. Those perverted ladies like to make a KENobi sandwich. wink

mysterio69

Backspace
iPods are cool. Worth the money in my opinion.

Lana
That's ten gigs less, and the Zen does all that and more erm

I work at Target. Nanos have to be the most flawed iPod... we've had too many returns for the Nano freezing up beyond a user's control, and the thing is fragile as feck, you sit on it and that thing's toast. I don't need minimal storage in a credit-card sized MP3 player. I want durability, quality, and quantity. Seeing the Nano lacks all three of those qualities, I discourage purchase of the device. That is, unless you HAVE to have the smallest MP3 player out there... not sure what the infatuation with that is, honestly.

Nanos are such a waste.

I've got a....3rd gen iPod, I think it is (not sure, it's 15 GB), had it nearly two years, and never had any problems. And this thing's been dropped, sat on, buried under stuff, and exposed to heat and cold. I'd say it's pretty durable.

The Rev
i would say buy one i have a ipod nano that i found on the ground and i havent put it down sence but if you do buy one get a ipod video they are the best.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.