Are Spanish and Portuguese the same lauguage?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xyz revolution
Or are they just very similar? Because lots of words in Spanish are the same in Portuguese!

T.M
No they are different.

xyz revolution
I thought so, but lots of people make jokes about them being the same. They also throw Italy in for some reason I have no idea why.

Cyber Ninja
no expression

deathtodraco
i dunno

T.M
Portuguese is simuliar to Spanish because Spain ruled Portugal for many years. (1580 - 1640)

Over the last 20 something years though Portugal I think has moved away from the words that the Spanish brought through.. I believe they have started using more English based words..

Flavio
different (id say very). They are very similar in some points, but people like me who speak portuguese naturally and dares trying to speak spanish because once thought they're similar languges get fuc*ed up and usually say nonsense. Thats why i stopped trying to speak spanish randomly, i have to attend classes.

Fox13
perhaps u should ask storm O__O

Flavio
Originally posted by T.M
Portuguese is simuliar to Spanish because Spain ruled Portugal for many years. (1580 - 1640)

Over the last 20 something years though Portugal I think has moved away from the words that the Spanish brought through.. I believe they have started using more English based words..

That is not the reason, im pretty sure. When Spain ruled Portugal they already spoke Portuguese. Both languages are an heritage from Latin, that is why they're simliar, like Italian.

~Mitsurugi~
spanish portuguese and italian all derive from latin, thats why you can find common words in all 3 languages, but they are all different.

Fox13
but... how is that possible? they sound completely differrent, and english is a made up language, AKA the lazy language. and then spanish from spain, and then latin.... i dont know nuthin bout latin no expression

Flavio
Originally posted by Fox13
but... how is that possible? they sound completely differrent, and english is a made up language, AKA the lazy language. and then spanish from spain, and then latin.... i dont know nuthin bout latin no expression

Latin was spoken in half (or more) Europe. With dispersion of people, the language suffered changes, turning into popular Latin, until the new languages were formed.

And having same words to two languages dosnt mean they are the same. Portuguese has some words in common with english.

~Mitsurugi~
dude, england, france, spain, potugal, italy, germany, and damn near all of europe spoke latin as a common language for the catholic church, and it spread into there everyday speach, but now only spain potugal and italy have it in there language, and when spain invaded the new world and mixed with the aztecs and other indians, they created another spanish, the spanish used today.

xyz revolution
Originally posted by ~Mitsurugi~
spanish portuguese and italian all derive from latin, thats why you can find common words in all 3 languages, but they are all different. you forgot French. And even Germananic, Scandinavian and Balkan countries have a bit of latin. It's called the 'Y' J.

~Mitsurugi~
Originally posted by xyz revolution
you forgot French. And even Germananic, Scandinavian and Balkan countries have a bit of latin. It's called the 'Y' J. see earlier post.

Flavio
even englissh has latin words. Maybe japanese? stick out tongue
Latin took over the world ninja

xyz revolution
see earlier post. you still forgot French.

Originally posted by Fox13
perhaps u should ask storm O__O I thought she was Dutch?

xyz revolution
Originally posted by Flavio
even englissh has latin words. Maybe japanese? stick out tongue
Latin took over the world ninja Well think of it this way, everyone in Europe invaded England. Then England did it to the rest of the world, so everyone has bit of latin. Stupid Julius Caeser. Pronounced Yulius Seezer. roll eyes (sarcastic)

~Mitsurugi~
did you not see i put france.

Flavio
Well think of it this way, everyone in Europe invaded England. Then England did it to the rest of the world, so everyone has bit of latin. Stupid Julius Caeser. Pronounced Yulius Seezer. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Yulius Seezer in your language, not in mine...

Fox13
i think storm knows alot of langs, i KNOW she knows about q's like this stick out tongue

xyz revolution
but now only spain potugal and italy have it in there language France is latin.

~Mitsurugi~
France is latin. well kind of, but they have expanded there language more than the others.

xyz revolution
well kind of, but they have expanded there language more than the others. erm maybe. Your only saying that because they don't end every noun with a vowel like the rest.

~Mitsurugi~
most likely, but they have a more complicated language than regualr spanish and italian, but there language is very beautiful, i am going to learn befor i visit france for christmas this year.

xyz revolution
most likely, but they have a more complicated language than regualr spanish and italian, but there language is very beautiful, i am going to learn befor i visit france for christmas this year. cool.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

~Mitsurugi~
dude that is so ****in awsome thanks.thumb up

xyz revolution

Bloigen
russian - одно, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, zero SERIOUSLY eek!

No. It's because you don't have the Russian Language Pack.

xyz revolution
Originally posted by Bloigen
No. It's because you don't have the Russian Language Pack. yeah that's it. Thanks! Maybe that was also with dutch.

xyz revolution
english-wind
spanish-vento
portuguese-vento
italian-vento
french-vent

english-blow
spanish-soplo
portuguese-sopro
italian-coplo
french-coup

but the SPI (spanish, portuguese, italian) words are pronounced the same to a japanese person. laughing out loud

Lörd Sorgo
Spanish and Portuguese are similar languages.

Are we talking about Mainland Portuguese, Azorean Portuguese or Brazilian Portuguese?

JacopeX
Or are they just very similar? Because lots of words in Spanish are the same in Portuguese! No, theyre different. I have a friend that brazilian and when ever he tells me some words in portugeese, i dont know the words

TOH
Portuguese and Spanish are exactly the same language because all latins are from Atlantida, our mother land smart

Spawn_Master
I thought so, but lots of people make jokes about them being the same. They also throw Italy in for some reason I have no idea why. wtf does Italy have to do with Spanish and Portugese? confused

Bloigen
What a dumb thread.

Captain Falcon
Originally posted by T.M

Over the last 20 something years though Portugal I think has moved away from the words that the Spanish brought through.. I believe they have started using more English based words.. yeah that's true.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.