Why did God rest on the 7th day?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morgoths_Wrath
Why would God need to rest at all? He's GOD! Plus, the fact that he was tired proves that God requires energy, and that God can be deprived of energy.

Why would God make Himself bound to energy...and as a result, put limits on His abilities?

debbiejo
Interesting inquisitorially...............I've edit this because of my environment.........thinking, thinking...oh my.......the thoughts I come up with...

WrathfulDwarf
I've always consider that there was nothing left to create. So he stopped and took a break.

debbiejo
Oh, and bound by energy wouldn't mean inferior......No........because that is what all is made out of , yes?

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by debbiejo
Interesting inquisitorially.....a real god wouldn't need reading, writing or arithmetic.......... would he/she/it?

I wouldn't think so

He probably wouldn't need legs or feet, either

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I've always consider that there was nothing left to create. So he stopped and took a break.

yeah, but then why wouldn't there just be six days? The Bible makes a point to say that God rested on the 7th day, implying that he was tired from all that creation He was doing.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
I wouldn't think so

He probably wouldn't need legs or feet, either Oh....Yeah...............Correcto (sp?)..A god would not need at all.

Morgoths_Wrath
Oh....Yeah...............Correcto (sp?)..A god would not need at all.

touche

and yet, he needs energy confused

debbiejo
So.........Why did he rest??????...........Hmmmmm....

Draco69
Because he was tired.

DUUUUURRR. laughing out loud

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by Draco69
Because he was tired.

DUUUUURRR. laughing out loud

read the rest of the thread before you go stating the obvious

DURR!! roll eyes (sarcastic)

debbiejo
wink ..................Gods tiers easily.....I'd know... ............But I deal with it!

Draco69
read the rest of the thread before you go stating the obvious

DURR!! roll eyes (sarcastic)

God is God. Maybe he made himself tired because he was tired of not being tired...

eek!

Morgoths_Wrath
God is God. Maybe he made himself tired because he was tired of not being tired...

eek!

dude...you just blew my mind

blowup

Darth Kal-El
eek! good point

debbiejo
A real god, mind you, does not get tired, though I like the others better.............mmmmmmmmmmm.....more humanistic..........Thor..... wink

Morgoths_Wrath
Thor.....

Odin > Thor

http://www.occultopedia.com/images_/odin.jpg

but Thor's cool...!

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/L_P_swepston/thor.jpg

Flavio
arent humans image and semblance of God? maybe he has flaws just like us and needs to rest too.

debbiejo
Odin > Thor

http://www.occultopedia.com/images_/odin.jpg

but Thor's cool...!

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/L_P_swepston/thor.jpg Look at those biscuits.!!!!!!!!!....Tried to find the word bysipts{sp?)...but couldn't............my god..........where am I to go?????? sad

MC Mike
Too much sex.

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by MC Mike
Too much sex.

what are you talking about???

MC Mike
God is a horny diety, what can I say?

Morgoths_Wrath

who (or what) did God have sex with???

MC Mike
Do you want all the Christians on here to get all pissy when I start desecrating their most sacred ideal? I think I'll stop while I'm ahead.

Morgoths_Wrath
Do you want all the Christians on here to get all pissy when I start desecrating their most sacred ideal?

Yes. Yes, I do.

MC Mike
Hahaha...

God was having sex with Adam. Then he made Eve and had sex with her. Adam was jealous and tried to hurt God. In return, God made homosexuality a sin. But he lets those pedophile priests go because they are cool like that.

There. Happy?

Lana
Hahaha...

God was having sex with Adam. Then he made Eve and had sex with her. Adam was jealous and tried to hurt God. In return, God made homosexuality a sin. But he lets those pedophile priests go because they are cool like that.

There. Happy?

....that is one of the funniest things I have EVER read.

~Mitsurugi~
you people on here have no idea of the sins your commiting blaspheming against GOD.

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by ~Mitsurugi~
you people on here have no idea of the sins your commiting blaspheming against GOD.

fear

debbiejo

Why??? laughing out loud

Morgoths_Wrath

Lana

K.Diddy
He hated sundays

Shakyamunison
Because the god of the bible is a limited god.

Great Vengeance
God was tired from all the masturbation.

debbiejo
no

God has no sex.

Shakyamunison
no

God has no sex.

I think God has lots of sex, after all, we are God.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I think God has lots of sex, after all, we are God.

Then god went this----->yawn..............Like me I'm going to sleepy.................nighty.

Mišt
God must have been Aussie then.....he didnt really need a rest, he just couldn't be buggered working.

Wonderer
God is only human...so I think he also needs sex and sleep.

finti
he had to go to church

Atlantis001
because it was sunday

debbiejo
He was too tired trying to create a square circle........ cool

Shakyamunison
He was too tired trying to create a square circle........ cool

He never did do that one. eek!

Bicnarok
He rested to view his work maybe, no where does it say he was tired.

debbiejo
Well, many believe that he rested on the seventh day, which is the Sabbath (Saturday), as an example for all to rest on that day. That man should not work 7 days straight. Though this was before the fall. Man did not have to work at this time.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Bicnarok
He rested to view his work maybe, no where does it say he was tired.

"Rest" implies tiredness. No one rests who is not tired.

K.Diddy

dave123
It's so we go to church on a Sunday stick out tongue

debbiejo
BUT THE 7th DAY IS SATURDAY!!

terd40
i think its wordplay. rest doesnt mean take a nap, it means stopped, came to a conclusion, ended the making. like when we dip oreos in milk.
day1-go to store
day2-buy oreos and milk
day3-go home
day4-open oreos
day5-pour glass of milk
day6-dip oreo and eat
day7-rest

terd40
sorry for the double post but i just spent 2 days at the store

Neix
I'm going to say that the 7th day was a metaphor, or either that or the guy who wrote Genisis needed a transition into the next part, which was the adventures of Humans in Eden. But that's going off the idea that the bible was written by man.

debate or be shot.

G a n n o n
God was forming our week. God being God did not need to rest.

Great Vengeance
Dont expect the bible to make sense, it was never based on logic in the first place.

Mindship
On the previous six days, God created everything BUT rest. So on Day 7, he created rest. It was his way of telling us, Don't work every friggin moment of your finite lives. Stop to smell the roses.

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by Mindship
On the previous six days, God created everything BUT rest. So on Day 7, he created rest. It was his way of telling us, Don't work every friggin moment of your finite lives. Stop to smell the roses.

what do you mean...he waited until the last day to create "rest"? That doesn't make any sense.

rest was created when the first creature was created; without rest, animals couldn't survive. they need energy...just like everything else (even God, evidently)

blackhat
I would imagine because He was pooped....that's a lot of work creating a universe.....ever try it?

MC Mike
Originally posted by blackhat
I would imagine because He was pooped....that's a lot of work creating a universe.....ever try it?

Yes actually, I made one twice as fast. God needs to work out more.

Makedde
I think God rested on the seventh day because he got lazy.

Shin_Gouken
Why would God need to rest at all? He's GOD! Plus, the fact that he was tired proves that God requires energy, and that God can be deprived of energy.

Why would God make Himself bound to energy...and as a result, put limits on His abilities?

God can do whatever he wants. Leave Him alone. geez you people act like he needs reasons for everything. I'm not saying there was no reason, there may or may not have been one but please, He's God for cryin out loud. Genesis never said he needed rest anyway.
He is God. Just being the God of everything justifies him in everything.

leonheartmm
he was overworked and mary was waitin at home while jesus cried all day. god decided to bring a lawsuit against creation for abusing its employees. he lost and was fired. so went home on the 7th day to FINALLY use the toilet and get a bath only to find out that he was constipated and had lost the lawsuit due to the oppositions lawer, LUCIFER{who has also stolen his laxative flowers from eden}. that pissed god off, he ordered his pet tyrrynosauras rex MICHEAL to bite a chunk out of the morning stars ass. micheal lost his ability to reproduce on this endeavour and was given wings and renamed an ANGEL to safegurad his dignity and given a godly pet of the year award which made him ARCHangel. in the battle that followed lucifer and his lawfirm were forced to relocate to a place called hell{formerly god's underwear closet} and lucifer swore revenge on the ticks that infested god's newly made creation/quilt forcing them to turn from the RIGHT path and bite mary in bed while lil jesus watches old lord beavus and lord butthead reruns on trinities tube trying to stay away from his sister in law, the antichrist.{lucifer still holds god's laxatives which is why god is so STIFF these days and }

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by leonheartmm
he was overworked and mary was waitin at home while jesus cried all day. god decided to bring a lawsuit against creation for abusing its employees. he lost and was fired. so went home on the 7th day to FINALLY use the toilet and get a bath only to find out that he was constipated and had lost the lawsuit due to the oppositions lawer, LUCIFER{who has also stolen his laxative flowers from eden}. that pissed god off, he ordered his pet tyrrynosauras rex MICHEAL to bite a chunk out of the morning stars ass. micheal lost his ability to reproduce on this endeavour and was given wings and renamed an ANGEL to safegurad his dignity and given a godly pet of the year award which made him ARCHangel. in the battle that followed lucifer and his lawfirm were forced to relocate to a place called hell{formerly god's underwear closet} and lucifer swore revenge on the ticks that infested god's newly made creation/quilt forcing them to turn from the RIGHT path and bite mary in bed while lil jesus watches old lord beavus and lord butthead reruns on trinities tube trying to stay away from his sister in law, the antichrist.{lucifer still holds god's laxatives which is why god is so STIFF these days and }

eek!

leonheartmm
oh hey did i mention baby jesus will be makin a guest appearance on jackass doing CRIB boarding. and mary got a job as a backup dancer for destiny's child.

xyz revolution

Why would God make Himself bound to energy...and as a result, put limits on His abilities? I thought the Earth was a rock, that developed over time, due to energy from the son, billions of years ago.

BobbyD
...because after trying to understand that it's not possible to make the perfect woman, even He became exhausted, and couldn't understand women!

eek!

big grin stick out tongue

xyz revolution
Originally posted by BobbyD
...because after trying to understand that it's not possible to make the perfect woman, even He became exhausted, and couldn't understand women!

eek!

big grin stick out tongue yes even HE couldn't create the female orgasm.

Captain Falcon
...why did he need to rest on the seventh day?

Soleran
Because God can do anything he wants..................huh how about that.

Do you like apples?
How about dem apples.............................fruits_apple

debbiejo
Originally posted by Captain Falcon
...why did he need to rest on the seventh day? Because it was party time........Though it wouldn't make since that a god needed to rest.....Some say that it was an example of our needing rest at least once a week from our labors, though this is before the fall. It was the Sabbath (Saturday)....So, maybe it was the day set aside to go "Whooo, Ahhh." The church changed it to Sunday, after the Sun god.

Imperial_Samura
Because it was party time........Though it wouldn't make since that a god needed to rest.....Some say that it was an example of our needing rest at least once a week from our labors. It was the Sabbath (Saturday)....The church changed it to Sunday, after the Sun god.

Sol Invictus had such a cool name. Has nothing to do with the topic, but oh well.

Maybe they Bible writers thought that was just a nice why of putting "now everything was done God had nothing to do, so he kind of just sat there thinking "maybe I shouldn't have put the tree that leads to sin down there. Oh well, it will make it far more interesting in the future."

Because to be honest the whole Old Testiment God didn't have much to do once he was finished other then lounge around and practice his grumpy face for when the humans ate the forbidden fruit.

debbiejo
Yeah.....after god made the perfect world he did an experiment....he put that tree there......Isn't that kind of like devious... evil face
What does that say about his personality?

Imperial_Samura
I like the idea of him up there practicing a grumpy face and then thinking "Bloody Hell, what am I doing, they wont get to see my face anyway. Best just go with a Flood. Keep it simple"

But as to personality it is quite human. Like those people that would create the perfect city in Sim City (1,2,3,4) and then get a thrill out of releasing earthquakes on it amongst other disasters.

I still say that if he knew it was going to happen, and it would make him unhappy if it happened and he had the power to stop it happening he should have. Conceptual the Christian God is illogical.

debbiejo
Just as the other mythical stories of gods.......It's baiting, just as in Greek mythology.

Imperial_Samura
True, but at least they were more honest about it, more artistic. And dare I say more entertaining? Who wouldn't enjoy tales of Apollo and his sexual hijinks or the infighting between the Olympians.

And am I the only person who thinks of Hades as the Mr. Darcy of the Greek Pantheon?

Mindship
Because it was party time........Though it wouldn't make since that a god needed to rest.....Some say that it was an example of our needing rest at least once a week from our labors, though this is before the fall. It was the Sabbath (Saturday)....So, maybe it was the day set aside to go "Whooo, Ahhh." The church changed it to Sunday, after the Sun god.

Yeah, if God rested on Day 7, why did the church change it to Day 1? Or, why did Islam change it to Day 6? Certainly it could not be something as arbitrary as "The heck what God said! We wanna be different!"

In any event, we need one more monotheistic faith so we can have Monday off. I always liked Monday holidays, certainly better than Friday holidays. I mean, let's say you have Friday off; Sunday night rolls around and wham! It's work the next day. But if you have Monday off: well, not only would your Friday holiday already have passed, but come Sunday night: Great Caesar's Ghost! You still have another day off! Plus, the week ahead is only 4 days!

What a great life.

Imperial_Samura
You could always become a Seventh Day Eventist. My father worked for some a long time ago, and got quite frustrated as they would be forever going off regardless of what needed to be done, especially on major trading days.

No way to run a business apparently.

AOR

He wasn't tired at all, he was setting an example. God said to Adam, "you will work 6 days and rest on the seventh, as I have worked 6 days and rested on the seventh..."

Black Rob
God had to rest to smoke a doobie

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f11/t398211.html

debbiejo
laughing out loud ..........Like I said earlier.....It was party tiime........ Happy Dance

Yes, I've attended a SDA church. It makes life quite dull on Saturdays....

leonheartmm
honestly why cant god take a joke?

debbiejo
Most Christians can't take a joke, though god laughs at me all the time.......He keeps using the word "Special" ........ blink

KingDubya

The "seventh day" thing was just because the people who put together the Bible wanted to have a day specifically for worship and rest. We now take advantage of that and use that day for fishing. smile

Janus Marius
Originally posted by Thorinn

This has to be the funniest thing I've read today.

And at least God got one day to rest. I don't even get that. ****ing capitalist regime.

lil bitchiness

If there really is a God, I don't think he would have literaly rested. It could be a metaphore - or the encouragment that people should rest on the 7th day, from all the work.

One thing that amazes me when it comes to anyone who critises Holy Books, is how literaly they take everything, then use its illogic against the followers of that faith.

It is funny that noone ever looks deeper for perhaps its being a metaphore or personification of a certain things.
Perhaps that the stories are there with a deeper messege, rather than a literal 'God sat down and rest his feet - if he had any'.

The stories of Buddha being able to walk as soon as he was born or that where he walked the flowers bloomed is IRELLEVANT. The science or possibility of that is utterly irrelevant - what is relevant is the message that Buddha wanted to spread during his lifetime. The stories of his divinity or lack of are useless - his message was good and noble and who he was and what he was becames insagnificant.

For example, in one of our stories, the goat spoke to the holy man. Obviously this couldn't have happened, but that is irrelevant. What was relevant was what goat told the priest - the messege. The fact that people tend to contrencate on the deliverance of messege, as opposed to the messege itself implies the lack of udnerstanding for religion.

And if you cannot understand or comprehend something, you can hardly critisise it.

Janus Marius
I don't understand or comprehend why people torture, murder, and rape, but I feel justified in criticizing those particular actions.

However, I do understand your point about the stories being literal. Sometimes nonbelievers and beleivers alike miss the "real" points behind the stories. In particular, when I see someone wishing me fun in hell for not believing in the Bible as it's written, and then I think "Hey, didn't Jesus preach love and compassion, even for those you can't relate to?"

lil bitchiness
I just believe that there are far bigger and serious issues which we can discuss regarding the fallibility of Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Baha'i...etc than deliverance of the stories.

debbiejo
I believe , though not sure that the Jews weren't even able to go to war on the Sabbath, which is the 7th day.....But that wouldn't make since......they'd be slottered by nonbelievers........hmm

MARCMAN
Why did God need to rest on the 7th day? Was He tired from creating the world? Hardly. God wanted to teach us that work is not an end in of itself. To be healthy, to be free from the problems of earning a livelihood, we must have a day of rest as a day to renew our strength and spirits. So God did not need to rest, he rested to show US that there is a time to work and a time to rest

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by MARCMAN
Why did God need to rest on the 7th day? Was He tired from creating the world? Hardly. God wanted to teach us that work is not an end in of itself. To be healthy, to be free from the problems of earning a livelihood, we must have a day of rest as a day to renew our strength and spirits. So God did not need to rest, he rested to show US that there is a time to work and a time to rest

Or maybe it was just a story someone made up. wink

MARCMAN
Or is it true smile

Shakyamunison
Or is it true smile

Factual truth? - No

Mystic truth? - Yes

MARCMAN
Are you saying that only that part of the Bible is not a factual truth or that the whole Bible is not a factual truth

Shakyamunison
Are you saying that only that part of the Bible is not a factual truth or that the whole Bible is not a factual truth

Factual truth is not of great importance when it comes to the bible. The mystic truth is of the highest importance in writings like the bible.

debbiejo
Curious though why the bible would even have mentioned something like resting on the 7th day.....I wonder if it is in any other teachings that came earlier...........I'll have to look that up.

drunk_nazgul
I seriously don't believe that much of the Bible was literal. I believe that evolution was God's work. But that's another point entirely. Yet, Christians are supposed to have open minds. Isn't that how Christianity came to be accepted in the first place?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by drunk_nazgul
I seriously don't believe that much of the Bible was literal. I believe that evolution was God's work. But that's another point entirely. Yet, Christians are supposed to have open minds. Isn't that how Christianity came to be accepted in the first place?

A trap is always open before it is sprung. wink

drunk_nazgul
A trap is always open before it is sprung. wink

laughing that took me a minute.

debbiejo
Shakys creative when worshiping Saint Sally... wink

Shakyamunison
Shakys creative when worshiping Saint Sally... wink

You are an evil worman. stick out tongue laughing

debbiejo
Well Ii've heard she's a great a saintl...................Tell me does she speaK?

Bowser jr
he rested coz he couldn't be assed to do nothing else evil face smokin' devil beer rock

debbiejo
So God did not need to rest, he rested to show US that there is a time to work and a time to rest But this was BEFORE the fall. Everyday was a great day, there were no work days! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Shakyamunison
But this was BEFORE the fall. Everyday was a great day, there were no work days! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Do you mean summer? laughing out loud

debbiejo
It's like being off from school all summer long...Remember??........Just playing all day long............Why would anyone rest from that???

jump

svnthdysthsbbth
The great Jehovah had laid the foundations of the earth; He had dressed the whole world in the garb of beauty and had filled it with things useful to man; He had created all the wonders of the land and of the sea. In six days the great work of creation had been accomplished. And God "rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it He had rested from all His work which God created and made." God looked with satisfaction upon the work of His hands. All was perfect, worthy of its divine Author, and He rested, not as one weary, but as well pleased with the fruits of His wisdom and goodness and the manifestations of His glory.

After resting upon the seventh day, God sanctified it, or set it apart, as a day of rest for man. Following the example of the Creator, man was to rest upon this sacred day, that as he should look upon the heavens and the earth, he might reflect upon God's great work of creation; and that as he should behold the evidences of God's wisdom and goodness, his heart might be filled with love and reverence for his Maker.

In Eden, God set up the memorial of His work of creation, in placing His blessing upon the seventh day. The Sabbath was committed to Adam, the father and representative of the whole human family. Its observance was to be an act of grateful acknowledgment, on the part of all who should dwell upon the earth, that God was their Creator and their rightful Sovereign; that they were the work of His hands and the subjects of His authority. Thus the institution was wholly commemorative, and given to all mankind. There was nothing in it shadowy or of restricted application to any people.

God saw that a Sabbath was essential for man, even in Paradise. He needed to lay aside his own interests and pursuits for one day of the seven, that he might more fully contemplate the works of God and meditate upon His power and goodness. He needed a Sabbath to remind him more vividly of God and to awaken gratitude because all that he enjoyed and possessed came from the beneficent hand of the Creator.

God designs that the Sabbath shall direct the minds of men to the contemplation of His created works. Nature speaks to their senses, declaring that there is a living God, the Creator, the Supreme Ruler of all. "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth His handiwork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night showeth knowledge." Psalm 19:1, 2. The beauty that clothes the earth is token of God's love. We may behold it in the everlasting hills, in the lofty trees, in the opening buds and the delicate flowers. All speak to us of God. The Sabbath, ever pointing to Him who made them all, bids men open the great book of nature and trace therein the wisdom, the power, and the love of the Creator.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by svnthdysthsbbth
The great Jehovah had laid the foundations of the earth; He had dressed the whole world in the garb of beauty and had filled it with things useful to man; He had created all the wonders of the land and of the sea. In six days the great work of creation had been accomplished. And God "rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it He had rested from all His work which God created and made." God looked with satisfaction upon the work of His hands. All was perfect, worthy of its divine Author, and He rested, not as one weary, but as well pleased with the fruits of His wisdom and goodness and the manifestations of His glory.

After resting upon the seventh day, God sanctified it, or set it apart, as a day of rest for man. Following the example of the Creator, man was to rest upon this sacred day, that as he should look upon the heavens and the earth, he might reflect upon God's great work of creation; and that as he should behold the evidences of God's wisdom and goodness, his heart might be filled with love and reverence for his Maker.

In Eden, God set up the memorial of His work of creation, in placing His blessing upon the seventh day. The Sabbath was committed to Adam, the father and representative of the whole human family. Its observance was to be an act of grateful acknowledgment, on the part of all who should dwell upon the earth, that God was their Creator and their rightful Sovereign; that they were the work of His hands and the subjects of His authority. Thus the institution was wholly commemorative, and given to all mankind. There was nothing in it shadowy or of restricted application to any people.

God saw that a Sabbath was essential for man, even in Paradise. He needed to lay aside his own interests and pursuits for one day of the seven, that he might more fully contemplate the works of God and meditate upon His power and goodness. He needed a Sabbath to remind him more vividly of God and to awaken gratitude because all that he enjoyed and possessed came from the beneficent hand of the Creator.

God designs that the Sabbath shall direct the minds of men to the contemplation of His created works. Nature speaks to their senses, declaring that there is a living God, the Creator, the Supreme Ruler of all. "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth His handiwork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night showeth knowledge." Psalm 19:1, 2. The beauty that clothes the earth is token of God's love. We may behold it in the everlasting hills, in the lofty trees, in the opening buds and the delicate flowers. All speak to us of God. The Sabbath, ever pointing to Him who made them all, bids men open the great book of nature and trace therein the wisdom, the power, and the love of the Creator.

Yes, that is your mythology.

AOR
Yes, that is your mythology.

Well when you title the thread "Why did God rest on the 7th day?" You are basically invoking the religion ideals to be an answer.

Really, it's like an alien from a green sky planet asking a human from earth, "why is the sky blue?" And when the HUMAN gives the answer the alien replies, "That's what you think..."

Are you implying that you happen to know another answer? Other than, of course, God not being a god?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by AOR
Well when you title the thread "Why did God rest on the 7th day?" You are basically invoking the religion ideals to be an answer.

Really, it's like an alien from a green sky planet asking a human from earth, "why is the sky blue?" And when the HUMAN gives the answer the alien replies, "That's what you think..."

Are you implying that you happen to know another answer? Other than, of course, God not being a god?

No, I was talking about the way svnthdysthsbbth was stating it. And I had no cynical tone when I wrote it; it was just a flat statement.

It's like grabbing a dictionary and reading why the sky is blue to the alien.

debbiejo

God designs that the Sabbath shall direct the minds of men to the contemplation of His created works. Nature speaks to their senses, declaring that there is a living God, the Creator, the Supreme Ruler of all. "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth His handiwork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night showeth knowledge." Psalm 19:1, 2. The beauty that clothes the earth is token of God's love. We may behold it in the everlasting hills, in the lofty trees, in the opening buds and the delicate flowers. All speak to us of God. The Sabbath, ever pointing to Him who made them all, bids men open the great book of nature and trace therein the wisdom, the power, and the love of the Creator. So how should we keep it to honor god...as in the OT?

AOR
No, I was talking about the way svnthdysthsbbth was stating it. And I had no cynical tone when I wrote it; it was just a flat statement.

It's like grabbing a dictionary and reading why the sky is blue to the alien.

Regardless, your asking people who believe in God, a question about there God, and then rejecting their given answer.

No, it's like reading WHY the sky is blue and then the alien rejecting the answer.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by AOR
Regardless, your asking people who believe in God, a question about there God, and then rejecting their given answer.

No, it's like reading WHY the sky is blue and then the alien rejecting the answer.

I never rejected the answer, you read that into my statement. I just pointed out that it is a belief.

AOR
So how should we keep it to honor god...as in the OT?

From either fishing with God, or holding a conversations, to simply readin and having long walks. And as a Catholic I simply say, "God said don't work. he didn't say 'Go to Mass', he said ,'Just don't work and dedicate just one day to me.'"

But I still have to go to mass every sunday disgust

AOR
I never rejected the answer, you read that into my statement. I just pointed out that it is a belief.

Right the (belief) answer to a (belief) question. THAT IS THE FINAL ANSWER. By stating "Yes, that is your mythology" is insinuating that you, yourself, have another answer...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by AOR
Right the (belief) answer to a (belief) question. THAT IS THE FINAL ANSWER. By stating "Yes, that is your mythology" is insinuating that you, yourself, have another answer...

No, just another belief.

The universe and all within it was never created, it has always been. So, the question is one of mythology, but those who answer it are not aware.

So, a mythological question requires a mythological answer. Something like, to spend all of your life working is a waist of a life, take one day out of the week and rest.

debbiejo
Originally posted by AOR
From either fishing with God, or holding a conversations, to simply readin and having long walks. And as a Catholic I simply say, "God said don't work. he didn't say 'Go to Mass', he said ,'Just don't work and dedicate just one day to me.'"

But I still have to go to mass every sunday disgust Well it just doesn't make since for something to be worshipped only one day a week....Sounds like Mythology and rituals...again.....I believe (said believe for Bardocks sake) there is something grander and I have discussions all the time..And that does not make me strange... roll eyes (sarcastic)

AOR
No, just another belief.

The universe and all within it was never created, it has always been. So, the question is one of mythology, but those who answer it are not aware.

So, a mythological question requires a mythological answer. Something like, to spend all of your life working is a waist of a life, take one day out of the week and rest.

Well think of a larger scale:

Let's say you don't take one day of your week to worship, lets not say worship, let's say rest. Well if you don't take one day to "rest" let's say for yourself, what'll make you stop for resting to spend some time with the family. Or dedicate some time to yourself. God says, "you have six days to work, take one day off."

Shakyamunison
Well it just doesn't make since for something to be worshipped only one day a week....Sounds like Mythology and rituals...again.....I believe (said believe for Bardocks sake) there is something grander and I have discussions all the time..And that does not make me strange... roll eyes (sarcastic)

No, it's the other things that make you strange. eek! laughing

debbiejo
Originally posted by AOR
Well think of a larger scale:

Let's say you don't take one day of your week to worship, lets not say worship, let's say rest. Well if you don't take one day to "rest" let's say for yourself, what'll make you stop for resting to spend some time with the family. Or dedicate some time to yourself. God says, "you have six days to work, take one day off." But a god wouldn't get tired.....It says "He rested".......And this IS before the FALL remember.

AOR
Well it just doesn't make since for something to be worshipped only one day a week....Sounds like Mythology and rituals...again.....I believe (said believe for Bardocks sake) there is something grander and I have discussions all the time..And that does not make me strange... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well let's see, you do say we're all gods and therefore if we don't take times for ourselves, well seems rather stupid to me...

Shakyamunison
But a god wouldn't get tired.....It says "He rested".......And this IS before the FALL remember.

It is just a story.

debbiejo
blink You of all people judging cause we parts of the whole.....It's like arm cursing my leg........what the heck..........We are all part of each other...".IMO" ---> (for Bardocks sake).......lol

AOR
But a god wouldn't get tired.....It says "He rested".......And this IS before the FALL remember.

and He rested, not as one weary, but as well pleased with the fruits of His wisdom and goodness and the manifestations of His glory.

Besides tell me where in the bible it states that the man (before the fall) did not rest in the garden of Eden? God did create the moon, so that we would not always be exposed to the sun. And perhaps for rest, IT DOESN'T SAY. We can inquire though, that God did not remove from man fatigue (like weary fatigue as in after a grueling exercise).

debbiejo
A god wouldn't need to rest.

Shakyamunison
^ was this god an egotist or what? laughing

AOR
A god wouldn't need to rest.

He didn't do it out of need, he did it by example....

debbiejo
Originally posted by AOR
He didn't do it out of need, he did it by example.... Why an example for an already perfect world?...

Shakyamunison
Why an example for an already perfect world?...

That is right, man was sinless at the time. God must have known that man would sin. God must have made man to sin.

AOR
Why an example for an already perfect world?...

Because man still had choice....

AOR
That is right, man was sinless at the time. God must have known that man would sin. God must have made man to sin.

Or God prepared ahead of time INCASE man was to sin...

debbiejo
If I remember right, god didn't say rest on the Sabbath to Adam and Eve...he only gave them one warning....The tree thing...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by AOR
Or God prepared ahead of time INCASE man was to sin...

laughing I like that one on so many levels. laughing

debbiejo
hysterical..........Yeah, just INCASE.....haha

AOR
If I remember right, god didn't say rest on the Sabbath to Adam and Eve...he only gave them one warning....The tree thing...

So he said it after....still supports my reasoning...

AOR
laughing I like that one on so many levels. laughing

A petty response to a petty question...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by AOR
A petty response to a petty question...

I wouldn't go that far.

debbiejo
Originally posted by AOR
So he said it after....still supports my reasoning... Na ah....Why would god give an example in a perfect world? He only gave one commandment.

AOR
Na ah....Why would god give an example in a perfect world? He only gave one commandment.

Because man could still choose to do wrong...

debbiejo
Originally posted by AOR
Because man could still choose to do wrong... BUT....he only gave them ONE COMMANDMENT...That's all, only one....not 2

AOR
BUT....he only gave them ONE COMMANDMENT...That's all, only one....not 2

What's your point?

meep-meep
He rested so he could release some stress and yank it. That's assuming he is a he, which he isn't.

debbiejo
Originally posted by AOR
What's your point? Because he only gave 1 commanment of not eating from the tree, there would be nothing to support an example of resting on the 7th day. There would be no purpose for it. It was Pre-Fall.

Shakyamunison
Because he only gave 1 commanment of not eating from the tree, there would be nothing to support an example of resting on the 7th day. There would be no purpose for it. It was Pre-Fall.

Well, god set the whole thing up. God made Satan and man to sin, so, god did all of it knowing what would happen. laughing

debbiejo
It was a trick...... mad

Jonathan Mark
Creating the universe is hard work I mean geez I bet God didn't even have time to make a cup of coffie... stick out tongue

No in actually mindship hit the mark. God was resting to show us that sometimes you just need to take a break before you overwork youself. Of course today in modern society everyone's overworked.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Jonathan Mark
Creating the universe is hard work I mean geez I bet God didn't even have time to make a cup of coffie... stick out tongue

No in actually mindship hit the mark. God was resting to show us that sometimes you just need to take a break before you overwork youself. Of course today in modern society everyone's overworked. But it was before the Fall......there was no work then..

AOR
But it was before the Fall......there was no work then..

Where does it say that. God created Adam "to cultivate and care for it" (Gen. 2:15). Incase you didn't know, that's work wink

debbiejo
What kind of paradise is that then..... blink

He was playing in it. He was naming all the animals and stuff.....why would he work? Work came after the fall.

Gen. 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

Shakyamunison
^ the story of Adam and Eve is just a story, it is not history. roll eyes (sarcastic)

AOR
What kind of paradise is that then..... blink

He was playing in it. He was naming all the animals and stuff.....why would he work? Work came after the fall.

Gen. 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

Well because there was still a sense of duty, but the duty wasn't taking as an arduouse task as duty is taking now. It was almost a joy knowing you were fulfilling your purpose. Kind of like the people that love to go to work because they love their job. Same thing.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>