teacher mixes politics with teaching

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
not sure how many heard this, but a teacher in the US was recently suspended when he compared bush to hitler and a student in his gr10 geography class TAPED his rant!!

is it out of place for a teacher to express personal views on matters like religion and politics? he clearly went a bit overboard, but is there a way he might have expressed his displeasure that WOULD have been appropriate or should those kinds of personal opinions be left out of schools completely?

interested in hearing what some of you think. wink

botankus
Originally posted by leonidas
but is there a way he might have expressed his displeasure that WOULD have been appropriate

Yes. After the bell rang and to someone who gave a shit.

PVS
ZOMG F***ING LIBERAL!!!!

botankus
You'd better watch it, PVS, or I'll compare you to KidRock...and tape it for you, too.

PVS
oh, c'mon. you KNOW this will just become a liberal bashing thread.

the topic of the steriotypical liberal loudmouth teacher is getting real old.
when the media finds one they grab em and run with em like they struck the motherload, because that makes money. so now its "GODDAMN LIBERAL TEACHERS SHOULD STFU!!!" as if its an epidemic. its all just sensationalist bullshit, and the second, i mean the SECOND bush is out of the whitehouse its useless news. then every teacher could preach a liberal agenda in unison and you wont here a peep about it in the news.

botankus
Okay, PVS, I can agree with that. There is at least 1 per week in this forum pertaining to that.

One question, though. Does the topic of politics fall under the subject of "Geography?" Shouldn't it be more towards the "Political Science" or "Social Studies?" Or are the schools facing so many budget cuts these days that they just slop everything into one universal subject title?

soleran30
lol there is probably 1 liberal bashing thread here in a week and 5-8 conservative bashing posts who cares.

The teacher shoulda kept his mouth shut............or better yet tell us how the relationship was drawn between hitler and bush. If the teacher stright up said Bush is as bad as Hitler then to bad if he made some constructive post about correlations then maybe there is a place for that maybe.

And the stereotypical liberal teacher is that way for a reason they tend to be liberal............

meep-meep
not sure how many heard this, but a teacher in the US was recently suspended when he compared bush to hitler and a student in his gr10 geography class TAPED his rant!!

is it out of place for a teacher to express personal views on matters like religion and politics? he clearly went a bit overboard, but is there a way he might have expressed his displeasure that WOULD have been appropriate or should those kinds of personal opinions be left out of schools completely?

I think teachers have the right to hint at their views, but it sounds like this teacher just was ranting and raving about the current state of politics. There is a time and place for that behavior but it's not to be expressed while teaching in a classroom where the students own opinions on the matter are brushed aside.

PVS
Originally posted by soleran30
And the stereotypical liberal teacher is that way for a reason they tend to be liberal............

what an baseless and asinine statement. and one which kind of bites the conservative in the ass.

lets see...what you're saying is that people who choose to further their education and then go on to educate others are typically liberal? if this were true, what does this say? could this be considered conservative self-bashing?

stereotypes are for the ignorant and toolish

Ushgarak
"What you're saying is that people who choose to further their education and then go on to educate others are typically liberal?"

Hell yeah. VERY left-wing profession.

PVS
Originally posted by Ushgarak
"What you're saying is that people who choose to further their education and then go on to educate others are typically liberal?"

Hell yeah. VERY left-wing profession.

based on.......?

you would think this would inspire conservatives to further their education and balance the scales then, huh? sure beats pissing and moaning, and far more productive.

Ushgarak
Based on the 100% totality of my experience.

Teaching is a subversive activity.

soleran30
Originally posted by PVS
what an baseless and asinine statement. and one which kind of bites the conservative in the ass.

lets see...what you're saying is that people who choose to further their education and then go on to educate others are typically liberal? if this were true, what does this say? could this be considered conservative self-bashing?

stereotypes are for the ignorant and toolish

teachers tend to be liberal.........................

people that look past the reality and facts of a stereotype are the foolish people.........................stereotypes are for establishing a general view based on previous experience. So once again teachers tend to be liberal.

WrathfulDwarf
Whatever happen to the good old days when Teachers teach and Politicians practice politics?

Wait, where there such times?

btw-WD hates political nutcase driven College professors who spend most of their time discussing politics rather than teaching.....

..."I'm taking Art! But our Teacher keeps talking about The Economy! Gah!"

PVS
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Whatever happen to the good old days when Teachers teach and Politicians practice politics?

Wait, where there such times?

btw-WD hates political nutcase driven College professors who spend most of their time discussing politics rather than teaching.....

..."I'm taking Art! But our Teacher keeps talking about The Economy! Gah!"

funny. in all my time at college i never really had to deal with this.

fini
I tend to stay away from such topics, but then again, I dont see how a political statement can arise while teaching physics. But then again you never know.

I think that this teacher should have watched what he was saying, cause 'kids' today are very perceptive and he should have been mindful of that.

debbiejo
Originally posted by soleran30
teachers tend to be liberal.........................

. Yeah, they have to take liberal arts........

manny321
My American History teacher always makes fun of Bush.

The only difference is that we are in Canada, so its popular to do so.

jaden101
i think it's a good thing for teachers to get political about issues in class as it may spark some interest amongst the youth so that they might actually vote when they become old enough

as to comparing Bush to Hitler...i think we've spoke about that many times before

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by manny321
My American History teacher always makes fun of Bush.

See, that I can appreciate. Good humor mixed in with political commentary is fun. But when the professor starts to preach on and on about how bad the nation is and blah, blah, blah....it gets annoying. Well, at least for me it does.

debbiejo
IMO, teachers should stay neutral. It's not like this is office talk at the water cooler.

manny321
My teacher mostly comments on how Bush lies to the whole world and was like shocked for like two weeks after Bush get re-elected. He also has that famous picture in the classroom "How can 59 Million people be so dumb."

I personally view Americans as good people, but some certain people and groups give the US a very bad image.
I don't like hard-core republicans and hard-core conservatives in general however John MCcain is a good republican.
One thing i hate is that the new Canadian conservative PM wants the Canadian govt to run like the US govt. mad

So after my rant, i think a few jokes here and there are good. a few class discussions here and there too. However to go forever is not good.

meep-meep
Originally posted by manny321
My teacher mostly comments on how Bush lies to the whole world and was like shocked for like two weeks after Bush get re-elected. He also has that famous picture in the classroom "How can 59 Million people be so dumb."

I personally view Americans as good people, but some certain people and groups give the US a very bad image.
I don't like hard-core republicans and hard-core conservatives in general however John MCcain is a good republican.
One thing i hate is that the new Canadian conservative PM wants the Canadian govt to run like the US govt. mad

So after my rant, i think a few jokes here and there are good. a few class discussions here and there too. However to go forever is not good.

I think posters like "how could 59 million people be so dumb" doesn't do anything except offend or amuse. I would like nothing more than to see Bush and all his helpers kicked out of the white house and forced to live in Somalia for 10 years in a shanty town, but propoganda like that poster just incites and furthers the gap between an already divided U.S. society.

Sorry, I know I'm off topic but I just wanted to say sumpin about that.

allofyousuckkk
should teachers rant about religion? absolutely no

politics? yes, because we all havbe our own views and it is nice to have a calm debate in the class and listen to the teacher's views. Plus, if we can keep him talking for long enough....less notes smile

Makedde

I'd compare Bush to Hitler, too. I don't think the teacher did anything wrong. If this teacher said how wonderful Bush was, and a student disagreed, would the teacher have been suspended?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.