Men in kilts

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KharmaDog
I had an odd experience the other day.

I had to go to a formal dinner (black tie) and decided to wear my kilt instead of my tux as I hate tux's and find the kilt to be a little more comfortable (not to mention that I think they look better).

After the dinner, when people stand around and are supposed to be talking as though they actually had something interesting to say, I noticed three men looking and laughing at me. More out of boredom than actually taking offence to them I approached them and asked them if there was a problem that I could help them out with.

The immediate response from one of guys was, "nice dress, you gay?" to which a an elderly woman who is an aquatance of mine quickly responded, "no he's not, but you just insulted a seven foot (I'm actually only 6'9" but I let it slide) scottish man with a knife (actually called a skien dubh) in his sock, which begs me to ask you...are you an idiot?".

That aside I asked the guy what the big deal was and why he was so concerned with the way I dressed, he reponded that he took offense to gays and what was my problem?

My question to you all is a two parter.

1./ Does anyone else run into complete tools such as these in their everyday life?

2./ Is a dude in a Kilt that big of deal?

3./ Is your life so empty, that the fashion tastes and choices of others plague your mind and upset your every day life?

botankus
Well, hard to believe, but we really don't run into many people in kilts in the farming town I work in. Hell, most of the chicks wear blue jeans.

Which leads me to my next question...

Dude, you're really 6 foot nine??!?!?!?!?

Next pickup basketball game, I've got dibs on you, KD!

KharmaDog
Originally posted by botankus
Well, hard to believe, but we really don't run into many people in kilts in the farming town I work in. Hell, most of the chicks wear blue jeans.

I might understand their actions a bit more if this had happened in a rural area, but this happened in Downtown Toronto.

Dude, you're really 6 foot nine??!?!?!?!?

Yep, though most members on KMC that know me are aware of this. I actually thought you knew it too.

Next pickup basketball game, I've got dibs on you, KD!

I'm more into football or hockey, but sure. thumbup

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by KharmaDog

I had to go to a formal dinner (black tie) and decided to wear my kilt instead of my tux as I hate tux's and find the kilt to be a little more comfortable (not to mention that I think they look better).

After the dinner, when people stand around and are supposed to be talking as though they actually had something interesting to say, I noticed three men looking and laughing at me. More out of boredom than actually taking offence to them I approached them and asked them if there was a problem that I could help them out with.

The immediate response from one of guys was, "nice dress, you gay?" to which a an elderly woman who is an aquatance of mine quickly responded, "no he's not, but you just insulted a seven foot (I'm actually only 6'9" but I let it slide) scottish man with a knife (actually called a skien dubh) in his sock, which begs me to ask you...are you an idiot?".

That aside I asked the guy what the big deal was and why he was so concerned with the way I dressed, he reponded that he took offense to gays and what was my problem?

1./ Does anyone else run into complete tools such as these in their everyday life?

3./ Is your life so empty, that the fashion tastes and choices of others plague your mind and upset your every day life?

1. It's unavoidable.

2. It's unusual, which is a bit much for most people.

3. I imagine the 'you' there is for the offending parties and those of similar sensibilities, so I would have to say yes.

There aren't many things more annoying than people whose existences are so devoid of interest that they feel the need to concern themselves with what other people are doing, when it affects them in no way at all.

botankus
Yeah, I wouldn't have expected that in Toronto. Remember that not everybody is the same in each area, just because the area is generally classified as being condusive to a certain lifestyle.

No, I didn't know about the height (must have missed that thread b/c I've known you for a while now...BUT...I could tell you Britney Spear's 4th single off her 2nd album blink, thanks to KMC).

Shakyamunison

That was a good line from your friend.

1. Yes, I have to work with a few of them. laughing
2. No, Kilts are cool. cool
3. No, I'm lucky if I have the same color socks on. laughing

debbiejo
But guys knees are weird.......

finti
see kilts a lot here, a lot of Scots work here and here they got attention in a very psoitive way.

Echuu

1. Sometimes
2. Nope
3. Double nope

You should have gone Braveheart on that guys arse. stick out tongue

Quiero Mota

1. Yep, everyday at work.

2. Not really, but it can be an odd spectacle, depending on the setting.

3. No

debbiejo
I never see anyone in kilts. Though saw a televised wedding, and that was kinda neat.

PVS

the kilt had nothing to do with it.
the guy just didnt like you and felt like picking a fight with because:

1-he felt secure that he had his friends to back him up

or

2-he's a 6th degree blackbelt and felt like using you as a test of skill

Capt_Fantastic

1 Yeah, every day. Someof them are on this site, and some of them are in the real world.

2 No. When the highland games would roll around my friends and I would see guys in kilts all over the place. Also, when I would attend black tie events for work, there was usually one or two guys in kilts. But, many of our employees were European.

3 My life is not so empty. However, I have always been of the opinion that a lot of drag queens had empty lives.

botankus
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
2 No. When the highland games would roll around my friends and I would see guys in kilts all over the place.

Are you talking about the Highland Games in Western North Carolina when you lived here? I've always wanted to go to those games, but never got around to it when July rolled around.

Shakyamunison
There is a guy here at were I work who on some occasions will wear lederhosen. Now that is strange. eek!

Capt_Fantastic
Are you talking about the Highland Games in Western North Carolina when you lived here? I've always wanted to go to those games, but never got around to it when July rolled around.

Yeah, I never went to them myself, but my friend Eric went every year.

Bicnarok
1.People can wear what they want IMO, makes things more interesting.

2.Yep I meet total dicks like that all the time.

3. I think some Jocks have gotten a bit big headed and daft since the "Highlander" film. Think they are something special.
Kilts actually originated in Ireland, same as whisky, and Bagpipes. I guess Jocks are just offsping of lost Irish fishermen.

fini
omg, people are such idiots!!!!!!!!

Kilts are sexy, not to mention convenient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

debbiejo
Mmmmmm.......Braveheart...

Capt_Fantastic
Sheewww...Mel Gibson

PVS
i hope mel gibson dies

debbiejo
One of my fav. movies....Back when men were men......... cool stick out tongue

fini
uh he will someday, just like you, so whats ur point?

PVS
Originally posted by fini
uh he will someday, just like you, so whats ur point?

mel gibson fan taking offence? well my apologies smile

but i still hope he croaks, far sooner than me so that i may enjoy
a world free of mel gibson.

jaden101
being Scottish, the Kilt isn't all that uncommon...most formal functions give a good reason to wear one

i'm cant remember which part of the world you're from kharmaDog but all i know is that i've always had a positive response while wearing a kilt in anothe country

did the guy actually know your sexuality?...if he did then i'm guessing he was just being a dick about that...if not...then he's just a dick probably most of the time

jaden101
Originally posted by PVS
mel gibson fan taking offence? well my apologies smile

but i still hope he croaks, far sooner than me so that i may enjoy
a world free of mel gibson.

finally something me and PVS agree on...see everyone...there's hope for israel and palestine yet

Grand Moff Gav
I'm in Scotland but people still snigger when a person wears a kilt. Unless it's at a wedding.

debbiejo
We see more people here in Indian garb, more then kilts.......Still, guys knees????? blink

jaden101
Originally posted by Grand Moff Gav
I'm in Scotland but people still snigger when a person wears a kilt. Unless it's at a wedding.

i dont find that...but then usually a kilt goes hand in hand with extreme drunkeness so maybe i just dont notice

eh?...have you got a fear of guys knees or something?... laughing

Grand Moff Gav
Originally posted by jaden101
i dont find that...but then usually a kilt goes hand in hand with extreme drunkeness so maybe i just dont notice

eh?...have you got a fear of guys knees or something?... laughing
Look at it this way, you walk down the high street in a kilt at night and you'll be killed by an army of NEDs.

jaden101
Look at it this way, you walk down the high street in a kilt at night and you'll be killed by an army of NEDs.

not if you're wearing a burberry kilt laughing...besides...i've seen armies of neds in action...usually running away from anyone with cahojnes to smack the little bastards around the head...

Grand Moff Gav
Originally posted by jaden101
not if you're wearing a burberry kilt laughing...besides...i've seen armies of neds in action...usually running away from anyone with cahojnes to smack the little bastards around the head...

Yeah but arn't you from up noth? Aberdeen or Dundee somewhere?

whobdamandog

Any man who wears a kilt is obviously gay..and the guy who makes fun of him for wearing the kilt is gay too.

Fin

Grand Moff Gav
Originally posted by whobdamandog
Any man who wears a kilt is obviously gay..and the guy who makes fun of him for wearing the kilt is gay too.

Fin

And from that post we can deduce that you too,are gay.

whobdamandog
And from that post we can deduce that you too,are gay.

And for making fun of me...you have now become gay as well...wink

finti
so where is your kilt whob?

PVS
whob would be the one looking up all the men's kilts.

would that make him gay?

whob: "i was just curious to see if they really were nude under there"

Grand Moff Gav

WOW we are all gay here...what are the chances...?

debbiejo
laughing out loud ..........Oh, this is getting better all the time......

Shakyamunison

You can't make someone gay, no matter how much you suck. laughing

Grand Moff Gav
Yeah! Hah! Im not gay afterall!

Inspectah Deck

Are kilts those skirts guys wear?

Grand Moff Gav
http://www.edinburghoutlook.co.uk/article_images/465_2
http://www.elohi.com/photo/scotland/chesapeake_038.3.jpeg

debbiejo
See, her knees look ok............but the other guy....What a T-shirt and a kilt??????

DiamondBullets

No, Polynesian men wear palea's, which are also skirt-like. Unlike kilts, paleas are intended for casual use and not only for special occasions.

I have yet to see somebody who has the balls to talk shit to an Island Braddah who's the size of a refrigerator cuz one of us is wearin' a "skirt"

Inspectah Deck
http://www.edinburghoutlook.co.uk/article_images/465_2

That's gay

Fishy
Actually thats a picture.

I really don't see the problem with those things, had one on just a few days ago during Carnaval, where you have to be dressed up in something stupid to be allowed into bars.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Fishy
Actually thats a picture.

I really don't see the problem with those things, had one on just a few days ago during Carnaval, where you have to be dressed up in something stupid to be allowed into bars.

How did it feel? stick out tongue

Fishy
Cold as hell... It was freezing..

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Fishy
Cold as hell... It was freezing..

Should had worn your long-johns

jaden101
Yeah but arn't you from up noth? Aberdeen or Dundee somewhere?

the Dundee Neds are as neddy as any neds

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
That's gay

No argument there. He has a fruity drink AND a fanny pack.

Bardock42
I watched Formula 51 yesterday.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
No argument there. He has a fruity drink AND a fanny pack.

laughing

Sir Whirlysplat
I wore a kilt at a friends wedding in Wales. It was Prince of Wales check. The Irish and Welsh also have kilts it's not just a scottish thing!

Grand Moff Gav
No-one said it was...

Sir Whirlysplat
No-one said it was...

Just as well then isn't it. Otherwise they would have been wrong. Good attempted flame by Grand Moff Gav. laughing out loud

Mindship
Mystery solved.

debbiejo
Yeah, like that......^^

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by debbiejo
See, her knees look ok............but the other guy....What a T-shirt and a kilt??????

Rowdy Roddy Piper

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Your friend is a sharp old lady...good stuff!

1) Morons are everywhere. Look at these boards, for example. Also, just yesterday I took the lift down with another lady. When we reached the ground floor, I pressed the button to hold the door while she got out, then, before I had chance to leave the lift, some other woman started making her way in leaving no space for me to step out. I looked at her and said scornfully: "Excuse me". Ahh, it is a little thing, but the idiocy of some people always annoys me. Not to mention suspect manners...

2) Of course not. On a side-note, when you wear a kilt, do you really not wear underwear, or is that just a silly myth?

3) I really don't give a f*ck, but my girlfriend does. Yesterday, we went to the city for dinner and she gave me a running commentary about every girl's dress sense. Some were 'b*tches', some were 'nice', some were 'stupid' and some received the remark "Does she think she's going to a club or something?". I've noticed all the girls here check each other out rather than guys! They give each head to toe looks just to see what the other is wearing! Anyway, on the way back to my apartment, she told me this intelligent insight: "I think all the girls who don't have boys walking with them dress better than the ones with their boyfriends". Sometimes I just space out when she starts a monologue, but occasionally she realises this and then questions me on what she just said. OK, that's enough from me.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo

1) Morons are everywhere. Look at these boards, for example.

Where? He's behind you! confused shifty smile

Grand Moff Gav
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo

2) Of course not. On a side-note, when you wear a kilt, do you really not wear underwear, or is that just a silly myth?

Myth.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.