Are Supermans powers really from the Sun ?????????

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

R.O.T. Yahman

((The_Anomaly))
Errr...

The fact that Clark gets his power from the Sun is about as commonly known as his name being Kal-El. Your over complicating it. He works like a plant. A really strong, fast, invulnerable, human looking, plant.

Thats the only explanation that has ever been given, and so, thats the way it is. Speculating is all fine and good, but your just speculating with no evidence of anything to back it up, which makes it nothing more then an interesting "what if" scenario.

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, I'm just pointing out that its pure speculation. And as interesting as it may be, I (and I'd assume most people) wouldn't be inclined to believe something without at least Some evidence to back it up.

I'd like to speculate about Superman with you in this thread, but there's not a whole lot to speculate about, is what I'm saying. The only thing I disagree with you is:

Supermans cells create a nearly invulnerable force field around themselves as a result of this said energy conversion. So, once they are super-powered, they would not be able to be destroyed by the nuclear conversion. This becomes a "chicken or the egg" argument. What comes first, the invulnerable field created by the conversion, or the annihilation? Because as soon as he is in contact with the sun, this happens. So the cells, to destroy themselves, would have to destroy themselves before they become invulnerable, but in order to destroy themselves they have to go through this energy conversion, but this energy conversion, at the same time, would make them invulnerable. So what one wins? Apparently (since he is obviously not killing himself) the annihilation is canceled out by the invulnerability.

Never the less, I haven't seen you around these boards before. So, hey!

MadMel
o0......is biology always like this???

redcaped
My guess is the flying ability comes from psychic and a bit from his body, but I hope this movie or its sequel explains well this interesting matter.

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Errr...

The fact that Clark gets his power from the Sun is about as commonly known as his name being Kal-El. Your over complicating it. He works like a plant. A really strong, fast, invulnerable, human looking, plant.

Thats the only explanation that has ever been given, and so, thats the way it is. Speculating is all fine and good, but your just speculating with no evidence of anything to back it up, which makes it nothing more then an interesting "what if" scenario.

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, I'm just pointing out that its pure speculation. And as interesting as it may be, I (and I'd assume most people) wouldn't be inclined to believe something without at least Some evidence to back it up.

I'd like to speculate about Superman with you in this thread, but there's not a whole lot to speculate about, is what I'm saying. The only thing I disagree with you is:

Supermans cells create a nearly invulnerable force field around themselves as a result of this said energy conversion. So, once they are super-powered, they would not be able to be destroyed by the nuclear conversion. This becomes a "chicken or the egg" argument. What comes first, the invulnerable field created by the conversion, or the annihilation? Because as soon as he is in contact with the sun, this happens. So the cells, to destroy themselves, would have to destroy themselves before they become invulnerable, but in order to destroy themselves they have to go through this energy conversion, but this energy conversion, at the same time, would make them invulnerable. So what one wins? Apparently (since he is obviously not killing himself) the annihilation is canceled out by the invulnerability.

Never the less, I haven't seen you around these boards before. So, hey!

* Sigh *

Ummm i've been around for a while, but i rarely post in this Superman section. I generally see it as a waste of time, especially considering the standard of posts usually made. As you have stated (on four seperate ocassions in the same paragraph, i might add) my theory is speculative. Although speculative it is generally accepted through out the forum, especially with some of the more 'switched on' members.

As you mentioned before, the concept of the bio electric aura (Which was created by Byrne, during the 80's) creates a paradoxe. My Hyperspace theory solves this paradoxe by including extra dimensional interactions, which will apear invisble to anyone with 3D eyesight. What is considered as a 'Bio electric aura/Force field' is actually the interaction of Hyper space technology (Which are theoretically plausible , with String theory) with Supermans 3 dimensional body.

Sorry about the spelling, the spell check doesn't work.!

((The_Anomaly))
Thats cool. And sure, it makes literal sense. But since we have nothing other then speculation on your part, there's not much to discuss. Thats what I meant.

It's a cool idea, and it makes sense, but unless you can provide some kind of premise (evidence) to argue or talk about, there's not much more people can say about your theory other then "its cool" or "its stupid". There is nothing in any of the Superman continuity that you have presented to us to back up even one thing in your theory. So its not even possible to discuss anything further.

erm

Femi32
I once heard Mongul state that Superman draws his energy from an unknown energy source besides stars.

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by Femi32
I once heard Mongul state that Superman draws his energy from an unknown energy source besides stars.

Seriously .... thats very interesting, could you find out which book it is in ? Its not as if Mongul has appeared in that many. Cheers mate !

Lord-of-Dreams
lol that's a sick theory!!! I fainted about five lines in :P
Seriously: all the crazy science in the world could not convince DC to no longer make Supes weak against da K. Why even waste your time? Its a great explanation... but dude, it's only a comic!! lol

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by Lord-of-Dreams
lol that's a sick theory!!! I fainted about five lines in :P
Seriously: all the crazy science in the world could not convince DC to no longer make Supes weak against da K. Why even waste your time? Its a great explanation... but dude, it's only a comic!! lol

Much appreciated .... Fair point !

Drache53
Interesting.. It's great that we have people able and willing to throw hypotheses out there like this. Very interesting plausible theory. Even though, like ((The Anomally)) said, it's only speculation and a theory, I commend you nontheless. clap

Femi32
Why did you change your sig Drache53? The Superman one was kind of funny. big grin

Marth18
I think he drinks a lot of milk

Mindship
Posts I had originally put in another thread...

One megaton yields over 4000 terajoules: more energy than the whole Earth will use for hundreds of years, at least. Seems to me, in order to survive a one megaton blast, one would have to counter 4000 terajoules with an equal amount of energy, at least.

Thusly...
- On a sunny day, the amount of sunlight per square centimeter yields 0.1345 joules every ten seconds.
- An adult male has about 1.8 square meters of total skin surface area.
- If Superman were totally naked, he could perhaps absorb about 2500 joules in ten seconds. He needs 1.6 trillion times this amount to counter the energy of a 1 megaton bomb (4000 trillion divided by 2500).
- 1.6 trillion x 10 seconds is about 500,000 years. This is how long Kal El has to sunbathe to absorb enough power to survive 1 (one) "typical" nuclear explosion.

Based on the above, it would be better to assign the solar rad he absorbs a "secondary" position, something which triggers a far more powerful energy source, rather than being the primary energy source itself...kinda like a car ignition triggering the more-powerful internal combustion which actually moves the car.

For those who have seen this playing-with-numbers before, please pardon my repetition.

MadMel
Originally posted by MadMel
o0......is biology always like this???
this is getting a bit much for me....i mean, its good to theorise about things, but i really wouldn't when it comes to comics. my theory is superman gets his enrgy from DC. they can decide tha technical mubo jumbo.

Mindship
Originally posted by MadMel
this is getting a bit much for me....i mean, its good to theorise about things, but i really wouldn't when it comes to comics. my theory is superman gets his enrgy from DC. they can decide tha technical mubo jumbo.

Direct Conversion? Of matter into energy?

wink

It's just fun discussing nonsense.

Drache53
Originally posted by Femi32
Why did you change your sig Drache53? The Superman one was kind of funny. big grin

I haven't really encountered any Supes fanboys lately. FOTN is the guy that really inspired me to make that thing. I said something along the lines of "You make it sound like Supes could get hit by a kryptonite meteor and just laugh it off." He said something along the lines of "It depends on how big the meteor is." Honestly...

I make my sigs to have a point.. Or to just get a laugh out of people. I did both with the Supes sig and I'm very proud of it, it's one of my favorites. The one I have now I'll probably change this weekend. I might change it back to my Scarecrow sig.

omaga

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
* Sigh *

Ummm i've been around for a while, but i rarely post in this Superman section. I generally see it as a waste of time, especially considering the standard of posts usually made. As you have stated (on four seperate ocassions in the same paragraph, i might add) my theory is speculative. Although speculative it is generally accepted through out the forum, especially with some of the more 'switched on' members.

As you mentioned before, the concept of the bio electric aura (Which was created by Byrne, during the 80's) creates a paradoxe. My Hyperspace theory solves this paradoxe by including extra dimensional interactions, which will apear invisble to anyone with 3D eyesight. What is considered as a 'Bio electric aura/Force field' is actually the interaction of Hyper space technology (Which are theoretically plausible , with String theory) with Supermans 3 dimensional body.

Sorry about the spelling, the spell check doesn't work.!

Accepted? What exactly do you mean by that Yahman. confused Your theories on Supes are entertained, because they are unmistakably interesting. However they are by no means treated as fact in debate because they are not. Far from it.

While its true that the absorption of solar energy in and of itself would be an insufficient power source for Supes going by what he can and does achieve, that is however in terms of real world science, which any old fool could tell you is pretty much ignored in comic books. Nice theory tho.

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by GalacticStorm
Accepted? What exactly do you mean by that Yahman. confused Your theories on Supes are entertained, because they are unmistakably interesting. However they are by no means treated as fact in debate because they are not. Far from it.

While its true that the absorption of solar energy in and of itself would be an insufficient power source for Supes going by what he can and does achieve, that is however in terms of real world science, which any old fool could tell you is pretty much ignored in comic books. Nice theory tho.

I was referring specifically to the KATP bit, which has been used by various posters. It was this section of my monologue, that he quoted.

Youre not exactly one to lecture on the topic of theorys becoming univerally accepted !!!!!!!

MadMel
Originally posted by omaga

woah!!

snoopdogg
It has been stated a few times in comics that Superman is powered by white stars also. White stars are very abundant obviously.

snoopdogg
Here is another scan proving that point. This is why I believe Superman to be vastly more powerful in space.

Mindship
Originally posted by snoopdogg
It has been stated a few times in comics that Superman is powered by white stars also. White stars are very abundant obviously.

Interesting. Superman is holding a power source--it is feeding him as he holds it--yet he claims the 100 tons is "heavy."

So then, his limits can't be that far off. What? 1000 tons? If his limit was 10,000 tons, would 100 tons be "heavy" to him?

Personally, I like that he finds the 100 tons "heavy." Makes for a far more believable Superman than some guy who can help tow moons.

I would also think that the amount of energy he can absorb from white dwarf stars is miniscule, seeing how far away those stars are (anyone familiar with the inverse-square law principle?) And if he could derive a significant amount of energy from white dwarfs, this would imply that--even if lightyears from Sol--he could still get some power from Sol.

Regardless of which sunlight he is absorbing or from where, there is only so much skin surface area he has for absorbing it.

balloon

ZephroCarnelian
Well, regardless of how heavy something actually is, he can tell whether it is a heavy or light object relatively speaking.

I think the reason he said that it is heavy, is because of how small it is.

That's why he's shocked at how heavy it is for such a small thing.

Mindship
Originally posted by ZephroCarnelian
Well, regardless of how heavy something actually is, he can tell whether it is a heavy or light object relatively speaking.

I think the reason he said that it is heavy, is because of how small it is.

That's why he's shocked at how heavy it is for such a small thing.

Probably so, considering he has lifted ocean liners.

Xirius

Zahit
He was bitten by a Kryptonian weight-lifter during a science field-trip.

ZephroCarnelian
Was it a radioactive Kryptonian weightlifter???

Zahit
Originally posted by ZephroCarnelian
Was it a radioactive Kryptonian weightlifter???
no, just a steriod-popping weightlifter...

Mindship
And another thing...if Superman has a nuke-proof bioelectric aura around his body, how come no one gets electrocuted when they touch him? They don't even feel a shock. Nothing, nada, zip.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Mindship
And another thing...if Superman has a nuke-proof bioelectric aura around his body, how come no one gets electrocuted when they touch him? They don't even feel a shock. Nothing, nada, zip.

Controlled?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.