Mysticism vs Sorcery - which has more control over magic?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr Master
This will be based on feats of Mystics and Sorcerers through out the Marvel and DC continuum of universes.

From Webster:
Mystic - a person who seeks by contemplation and self-surrender to obtain unity with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or who believes in the spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect.

From Thesaurus - spiritual, religious, transcendental, paranormal, otherworldly, supernatural, occult, metaphysical.

and

Sorcerer - a person who claims or is believed to have magic powers; a wizard.

witch, magician, warlock, enchanter, enchantress, magus; witch doctor; archaic mage.

marvelprince
Boy this is tough seeing as how both tend to go hand in hand. Do you have examples of characters who are either mystics or sorcerors?

LordKaos
Mystics by nature do not seek to control the forces they attune themselves to, those who dabble in sorcery are all about using those same forces for manipulation. A mystic who seeks to control magic, by definition is no longer a mystic and has started down the path of the sorcerer. On the same note a sorcerer who no longer sought to manipulate could become a mystic, so the answer is both could control magic equally well, it's all a matter of application and intent.

ExtraMision5555
Originally posted by marvelprince
Boy this is tough seeing as how both tend to go hand in hand. Do you have examples of characters who are either mystics or sorcerors?

Dr. Fate/Dr Strange i believe are Mystics/sorcerers, i forgot which is which, though

jrodslam
My Strange may be a sorceror, but hes adept in the mystic arts. Same can be said for most who practice magic at a high scale. Fate, Zatanna, Yandroth, Clea, Enchantress, Dr.Occult, etc.

Sixth_Winged
Doc Strange has also been referenced as "master of the mystic arts". I don't think there's essentially any profound difference in Marvel for those kinds of things.

ExtraMision5555
Im not sure if there is either
Dr. Doom is also magical, but not in all of his storylines if im nto mistaken

TheKahn
I would think that Dr. Strange is a sorcerer as he normally casts spells and manipulates magic for desired effects. He learns magic to be able to protect the universe with it.

While a mystic might be someone who seeks otherworldly knowledge without the stated desire to actually use it. The best example in comics, imo, would be characters like the Elders of the Universe. They usually just seek to learn about a particular subject without seeking a purpose to use that knowledge (aside from staying alive).

Sixth_Winged
If that is true, then Fate shouldn't belong to that category cause he has more similarities to Strange than some one who just endulges in pursuit of otherwordly knowledge like the elders.

jrodslam
Originally posted by Sixth_Winged
Doc Strange has also been referenced as "master of the mystic arts". I don't think there's essentially any profound difference in Marvel for those kinds of things.

Yea. It kinda reminds me of Martial Arts. Theres many parts to it. Same thing with magic. Sorcery, wizardry, mysticism, its all magic. Kung-Fu, karate, judo is all forms of martial arts.

Mr Master
Originally posted by jrodslam
Yea. It kinda reminds me of Martial Arts. Theres many parts to it. Same thing with magic. Sorcery, wizardry, mysticism, its all magic. Kung-Fu, karate, judo is all forms of martial arts.

I see what you mean and it makes sense,

but I think there is a difference between the two, as in Sorcerers seem to be built around casting spells in the name of demons or extra-dimentional beings, while Mystics gain their abilities through meditation and spiritual/mental training, I don't think they need a source for their magic as sorcerers do, (at least not a sentient source of power)they learn a certain technique and it becomes theirs, unlike Strange who would not be able to do what he can do if the Vishanti were eliminated.

By the way Strange is earth's sorcerer supreme while Fate is earth's master of the mystic arts.

LordKaos
It's through the mystic training that magic users gain their extrasensory powers, but it is sorcery that is used when they cast spells.

Sixth_Winged
Originally posted by Mr Master
I see what you mean and it makes sense,

but I think there is a difference between the two, as in Sorcerers seem to be built around casting spells in the name of demons or extra-dimentional beings, while Mystics gain their abilities through meditation and spiritual/mental training, I don't think they need a source for their magic as sorcerers do, (at least not a sentient source of power)they learn a certain technique and it becomes theirs, unlike Strange who would not be able to do what he can do if the Vishanti were eliminated.

By the way Strange is earth's sorcerer supreme while Fate is earth's master of the mystic arts.

The only visible difference between the two IMO(well aside from the pre-crisis Nelson with his PC superman lite powers) would be the effects they are more accustomed on using with their abilities and not precisely their styles.

And Strange has both title of being the earths "sorcerer supreme" & "master of the mystic arts" for Marvel.

staxamillion
im thinking along the terms of mystics beings like Black Panther, Snow Bird, Forge, Warpath

magicians - doom, strange, zatanna

I would say that magicians have more 'control' over magic

VanMae
There is considerable overlap, but in general mystics tend to be much less powerful than sorcerers.

Mystics tend to be characters in street-level or slightly above stories. The Hand is generally what I think of when I think of mystics. Subtle low-end magics that make them slightly better at stealth and assassination than is humanly possible. Slow, complicated, rituals to raise the dead being their high-end.

Or to use a tv example, the resurrection of White Canary is a perfect example of what I think of when I think of mysticism. A slow, dangerous ritual using a precious resource that brings one person back from the dead at great cost and risk.

Sorcery is things like you see in Doc Strange and Harry Potter. Flashly, nearly instant, reality-warping stuff.

It's telling that characters like Fu Manchu used to be called a mystic. Fu never did anything flashy. It's just implied that he subtly amplified the products of his science with barbarous asian mysticism.

The villain in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" is a mystic.

I'd say the highest you get with mystics is the sort of thing you saw in original Conan stories: slow, dangerous, costly rituals to summon chthuluesque horrors.

Generally, if a character mostly relies on mundane military force and his magicks subtly benefit those mundane forces, the character is a mystic. If the character can casually throw down with flashy blasts, he's a sorcerer or wizard.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.