Favorite Member of the Wu-Tang Clan?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morgoths_Wrath
Well? Who is your favorite member of the Wu-Tang Clan, based on solo works or otherwise...and why?

-hh-
Gza/Genius

he is my fav wu tang clan member, and one of my top 5 favorite mc's. legendary in my opinion. Liquid Swords is on a whole different level.

the rest of the ranking would be like this:

2. Ghostface Killah
3. Raekwon the Chef

Afro Cheese
RZA is my favorite member. Favorite emcee is either Ghostface or Raekwon.. even though I agree GZA is the best lyrically.

Dr. Strangelove
Ghostface edges out The Method for me. Although, I've really been listening to a lot of ODB stuff recently. The dude is hilarious.

I wonder who Inspectah Deck will vote for?euro

Victor Von Doom
I don't like Ghostface much.

Method Man for me.

-hh-
I really liked Meth on 36 Chambers, and Tical was good, but afterwards i wasn't too impressed with his albums. The album he did with Redman wasn't that great in my opinion. Maybe i was expecting too much from red and meth.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by -hh-
I really liked Meth on 36 Chambers, and Tical was good, but afterwards i wasn't too impressed with his albums. The album he did with Redman wasn't that great in my opinion. Maybe i was expecting too much from red and meth.

I think Blackout! is very good.

Seems a lot of people don't, though.

-hh-
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I think Blackout! is very good.

Seems a lot of people don't, though. it was good, but i was just expecting alot more from them.

Victor Von Doom
it was good, but i was just expecting alot more from them.

Fair enough.

I wasn't disappointed personally.

Inspectah Deck
Inpectah Deck, Method Man and GZA

Mugen
GZA all the way, i love the entire clan, espically on crew tracks, but GZA stands out the most to me and i love his solo stuff, Liquid Swords, Grandmasters, ect.

afterwards
Inspectah Deck
GhostFace Killah
RZA

Afro Cheese
Alot of Meth's best work stuff is his appearences on other rapper's songs and albums..

-hh-
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Alot of Meth's best work stuff is his appearences on other rapper's songs and albums.. agree

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
I wonder who Inspectah Deck will vote for?euro

laughing Actually, I voted for GZA

Alpha Centauri
Method Man or GZA for me.

-AC

Mugen
agree not that shit he did with Ashanti and Limp Bizkit, i wish he was more choosy about who he collabs with.

FistOfThe North
Yea, The Rza was my favorite Wu-Banger overall. He wasn't the best lyrically but just overall Mc'ing, he was like one of the top producers, made sick beats. To me, he was up there with Dr. Dre and Primo when it came to beat making. The s*** he says is as crazy as his style. When I was younger I used to imitate his left sqinty eye thing he did and those diamond encrusted fangs he use to rock were ill back then. I love than gravediggaz album. And to me, I even thought he was nice lyrically too.

Like Bartholomeu,
cause every article is physical particle,
and diabolical to the last visible molecule,
a space knight like, Brom,
I consume planets like Unicron,
while blastin' proton bombs from the arms, like Galvatron."

- Rza

But lyrically, my list goes like this:

Tied for #1. Gza, Inspectah Deck

2. UGod

Tied for #3. Raekwon / Ghostface / Method Man

4. Masta Killa (even though I never really kinda considered him a member)

5. Rza

6. O.D.B.

All of them are good lyricists but that's my order. But on an overall list, Rza would top it unquestionably.

Deathblow
Why don't you consider MK a member?

For me, it goes

1 GZA - by FAR
2 Deck
3 Masta Killa & Meth - tied
4 Ghost
5 Rae & Bobby - tied
6 U-God
7 ODB - but only lyrically

WrathfulDwarf
Ol' Dirty Bastard (RIP)

He was....entertaining.

ghost then GZA then masta killa...

u-god is the worst member of the clan

cappa >>> u-god

StinkFist462
GZA

-hh-
Originally posted by #16

cappa >>> u-god u-god >>> cappa

Golden Arms Redemption > Pilage, Yin and Yang

Cappa is just a good freestyler from what i've heard, he can't make a solid album.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Deathblow
Why don't you consider MK a member?

For me, it goes

1 GZA - by FAR
2 Deck
3 Masta Killa & Meth - tied
4 Ghost
5 Rae & Bobby - tied
6 U-God
7 ODB - but only lyrically

Masta Killa over Raekwon and U-god? hm.

I never really considered him apart of the group just cause he was the only one i thought that just didn't belong. I dunno, I never formed a solid connection between him and the Wu for some reason. And that's beside the fact that that I never got into him at all anyway. And probably because he was the only one not mentioned on that "M-E-T-H-O-D, Man" track at the beginning of the song by Gza of the 1st Wu Tang tape. Not saying he's wack, just saying i never really considered him as a Wu Tang member even though he probably was in other eyes.

He's more of an extension.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by #16

cappa >>> u-god

Crapadonna over U-God, you serious.

Hey, to each his own I guess.

Afro Cheese
It's Cappadonna that's not really as much of a member. Masta Killa is one of the main 9 members.

Deathblow
U-God has moments of brilliance (Mystery of Chessboxin, Pleasure or Pain, Night the City Cried), as does Cappa (Ice Water, Iron Maiden), but I agree with hh, Golden Arms held up on his solo debut better than Cappa did on any of his three. Although The Pillage ain't bad. U-God also has arguably the best delivery of the whole Clan, IMO.

Originally posted by FistOfThe North

I never really considered him apart of the group just cause he was the only one i thought that just didn't belong. I dunno, I never formed a solid connection between him and the Wu for some reason. And that's beside the fact that that I never got into him at all anyway. And probably because he was the only one not mentioned on that "M-E-T-H-O-D, Man" track at the beginning of the song by Gza of the 1st Wu Tang tape. Not saying he's wack, just saying i never really considered him as a Wu Tang member even though he probably was in other eyes.

He's more of an extension.

Rae's got more presence the MK, but lyrically he's really not all that. His verse on Meth Vs Chef was wack, and he's kinda repetetive. He'll never even come close to topping Cuban Linx. And he's not mentioned on that track cos he hasn't joined the core group at that point. But from after 36 Chambers onwards he was the 9th member. For me, he's always been a true member, his verse on Mystery of Chessboxin is one of my favorites on the album.

Mugen

He's more of an extension. i could see how you would say that, the more notable members are RZA,GZA,Ghost, and Method.

Afro Cheese
He'll never even come close to topping Cuban Linx. To be fair.. neither will Masta Killa or anyone else in the clan besides maybe GZA.

FistOfThe North
To be fair.. neither will Masta Killa or anyone else in the clan besides maybe GZA.

I Agree.

Phat J
rza's always been my fav, then probably gza. i never really got into any wu solo stuff. i mean ive heard a handful of them, but after i listen to them i dont wanna put it on again for awhile.

Mugen
^ Tical and Cuban Linx are classics,

quick question, are there any rap groups that can mess with the Wu? (ie. Living Legends;Company Flow....not like beef, i mean talent wise)

I say The Weathermen

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Mugen
^ Tical and Cuban Linx are classics,

quick question, are there any rap groups that can mess with the Wu? (ie. Living Legends;Company Flow....not like beef, i mean talent wise)

I say The Weathermen

Well to me, the only rap group in history that can mess with the Wu was NWA.

Afro Cheese
Wu is my favorite but there's always competition. But IMO none of the artists mentioned in this thread.

Living Legends really aren't on the same level in terms of quality, and Company Flow lacks the discography to be able to compete with Wu Tang.

NWA were influential.. but to me they were just ok as far as music goes. If I'm gonna listen to west coast shit I'd rather listen to 90's G-Funk than NWA's imitation of new york rap. Not that I don't like NWA at all..

Tribe Called Quest and Public Enemy are other candidates for best rap group ever.. they have top notch music and delivery, as well as lyrical content. The only area in which they fall short is their rhymes.

If we're counting rap duos then Outkast would be one of the best rap groups ever in my opinion.. it seems like they evolve from album to album more than any other rap group.

Inspectah Deck
u-god >>> cappa

I rather listen to Cappa than U-God

Mugen
Wu is my favorite but there's always competition. But IMO none of the artists mentioned in this thread.

Living Legends really aren't on the same level in terms of quality, and Company Flow lacks the discography to be able to compete with Wu Tang.

NWA were influential.. but to me they were just ok as far as music goes. If I'm gonna listen to west coast shit I'd rather listen to 90's G-Funk than NWA's imitation of new york rap. Not that I don't like NWA at all..

Tribe Called Quest and Public Enemy are other candidates for best rap group ever.. they have top notch music and delivery, as well as lyrical content. The only area in which they fall short is their rhymes.

If we're counting rap duos then Outkast would be one of the best rap groups ever in my opinion.. it seems like they evolve from album to album more than any other rap group. i respect alot of what you said, but I think, just reppin for the Weathermen, Cage and Tame One can **** with just about anyone talent wise, Copywrite and Camu Tao are ill, then you have Can Ox, who dropped one of the Greatest albums of all time, and Yak and Jakki killed on their mixtape The Conspiracy. but this is all my opinion.

-hh-

If we're counting rap duos then Outkast would be one of the best rap groups ever in my opinion.. it seems like they evolve from album to album more than any other rap group. Gangstarr is also up there as best duo.

Afro Cheese
i respect alot of what you said, but I think, just reppin for the Weathermen, Cage and Tame One can **** with just about anyone talent wise, Copywrite and Camu Tao are ill, then you have Can Ox, who dropped one of the Greatest albums of all time, and Yak and Jakki killed on their mixtape The Conspiracy. but this is all my opinion. I can't really comment.. have never heard The Weathermen. Recommend some albums..

Gangstarr is also up there as best duo. Oh yeah.. Gangstarr is definetely a nominee..

Mugen
Gangstarr is also up there as best duo. De La Soul >>>> Gangstarr

De La Soul <<<< my vote
Cannibal Ox
Gangstarr
Mos Def & Talib Qweli (whey they do collab)
Slum Village

Mugen
I can't really comment.. have never heard The Weathermen. Recommend some albums..

Oh yeah.. Gangstarr is definetely a nominee.. Thye dropped a mixtape called The Conspiracy, but everything is just lost tracks and collabs they've all done. when they get together on a track though its magic. i guess you can't really count them cuz they havent put out a legitimate album. sad

Phat J
i respect alot of what you said, but I think, just reppin for the Weathermen, Cage and Tame One can **** with just about anyone talent wise, Copywrite and Camu Tao are ill, then you have Can Ox, who dropped one of the Greatest albums of all time, and Yak and Jakki killed on their mixtape The Conspiracy. but this is all my opinion.

i listened to the weathermen for like 3 weeks straight and got sick of half the people in it, they're worth checkin out for cage's verse alone though. there arent enough tracks where they all have a verse, maybe one if that on taht whole mixtape, i forget.

yak really only has one good song and copywrite sort of gets old after awhile. he has so many recycled verses and lines from 'freestyles' and other tracks hes featured on its retarded. jakki's ok, god vs satan was pretty good. nothing amazing lyrically though. vast is in the weathermen eh, dont know if you knew that. he wasnt in that conspiracy mixtape though, the only track ive heard him in with the weathermen tag was with yak ballz, thats one of my favourite vast verses.

FistOfThe North
The best Duo to me was (early) Mobb Deep

And followed by Mobb Deep, even though the weren't a duo, anytime Raekwon and Ghostface collaboed, it was ill.

They were the duo of Wu Tang

FistOfThe North

Tribe Called Quest and Public Enemy are other candidates for best rap group ever..The only area in which they fall short is their rhymes.

If we're counting rap duos then Outkast would be one of the best rap groups ever in my opinion.. it seems like they evolve from album to album more than any other rap group.

NWA and Wu-Tang were the only groups that change the face of hip hop drastically. Both groups spawned some of the illest MC's each coming out with their own albums, which were all ill. From MC Ren's "Shock of the Hour" album to Method Man's "Tical" album. Overall, i have never seen any other rap group have a bigger impact on the game more than NWA or Wu Tang with the way they held it down. Lyrics, format, beats, messages, influence, styles, no one in rap made it happen more than those 2 groups as units.

-hh-
best duo in my opinion is Pete Rock & CL Smooth (eventhough Pete never was on the mic).

Afro Cheese
NWA and Wu-Tang were the only groups that change the face of hip hop drastically. Both groups spawned some of the illest MC's each coming out with their own albums, which were all ill. From MC Ren's "Shock of the Hour" album to Method Man's "Tical" album. Overall, i have never seen any other rap group have a bigger impact on the game more than NWA or Wu Tang with the way they held it down. Lyrics, format, beats, messages, influence, styles, no one in rap made it happen more than those 2 groups as units. The weren't the only groups to change the face of hip hop drastically.. they were arguably the biggest but not the only ones.

Like I said when it comes to influence NWA are definitely up there.. I don't think their music is as good as Wu Tang's though. I really like Dr. Dre's solo stuff and Ice Cubes solo stuff but not on the same level as say Liquid Swords, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Ironman.. and I like Straight Outta Compton but nowhere even near as much as 36 Chambers or even Wu Tang Forever. Influence wise they're arguably neck and neck, but as far as overall greatness goes they don't compare in my eyes.

Deathblow
Best duo? Has to be Smif N' Wessun for me. Cannibal Ox I see more of a trio, cos El-P makes up about 50% of their appeal.

Also I think Wu are more influential than NWA. I see the release of 36 Chambers as pretty much the cut-off point where all albums that come after can no longer be called ''old-school'', because they pretty much revolutionized the whole genre. Also, they've had way more influence on the indie and underground scene than NWA. Read just about any artist's bio nowadays, and they'll name either Ghost, RZA, Meth, or the whole Clan as a major influence. The mark of Wu-Tang is just everywhere you look in hip-hop, they've permeated the culture to a far greater extent than NWA.

Wu aren't the best group in terms of talent, but the sheer amount of high quality stuff they've put out over the years is unbelievable. Like somebody said earlier in the thread, no one has the discography to compete with Wu. In fact I'd say only group more consistent than them were Organized Konfusion, and they only dropped three.

Afro Cheese
Cannibal Ox I see more of a trio, cos El-P makes up about 50% of their appeal. Agree. Same thing goes for Tribe Called Quest.

Edit: Actually, IMO, as far as The Cold Vein goes.. production > rapping. Not that Vast Aire or Vordul suck.. but they aren't the best either. I think El-p is easily one of the best producers ever based on that album.

Dr. Strangelove
De La Soul can be mentioned in the same breath as Wu. They have the albums, the good lyrics, and the influence.

Surprised the Beastie Boys haven't been mentioned. They have been in the rap game for more than 20 years and through most of those, they've put out quality albums.

Inspectah Deck
NWA and Wu-Tang were the only groups that change the face of hip hop drastically. Both groups spawned some of the illest MC's each coming out with their own albums, which were all ill. From MC Ren's "Shock of the Hour" album to Method Man's "Tical" album. Overall, i have never seen any other rap group have a bigger impact on the game more than NWA or Wu Tang with the way they held it down. Lyrics, format, beats, messages, influence, styles, no one in rap made it happen more than those 2 groups as units.

Forgot Public Enemy

Deathblow
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
De La Soul can be mentioned in the same breath as Wu. They have the albums, the good lyrics, and the influence.

That's very true, De La slipped my mind for once. I wouldn't say they have had as much lasting influence as Wu, but they are certainly as consistent, more so infact. Like OK, they have never made a bad album, and Pos can easily compete with any of the Wu members at their best lyrically, even GZA.

Deathblow
Agree. Same thing goes for Tribe Called Quest.

Edit: Actually, IMO, as far as The Cold Vein goes.. production > rapping. Not that Vast Aire or Vordul suck.. but they aren't the best either. I think El-p is easily one of the best producers ever based on that album.

For the most part, I agree with you. On Pigeon though, Vast's performance equals the effect of the production, and it's an awesome beat. Vast had the potential to be one of the best, but he has dropped some horrible shit since TCV.

El's up there with RZA, Premo, Havoc, Prince Paul, Madvillian and Stoupe The "why oh why must he insist on working with Vinnie f*cking Paz" Enemy of Mankind, no doubt. TOJ blows my mind, incredible song.

D-Double
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
Well? Who is your favorite member of the Wu-Tang Clan, based on solo works or otherwise...and why?

RZA is probably my favorite. He's a mastermind, for real. All his beats are crazy. Then...

2. ODB
3. GZA

koolruningz
1. GZA
2. Ghostface
3. Deck

ODB gets major charisma points even though his lyrics dont blow me away.
When talking of hip hop groups i'd put The Roots in there to. smokin'

eek! Whats up D-Double? Aint seen you around for ages.

Mugen
Originally posted by Phat J
i listened to the weathermen for like 3 weeks straight and got sick of half the people in it, they're worth checkin out for cage's verse alone though. there arent enough tracks where they all have a verse, maybe one if that on taht whole mixtape, i forget.

yak really only has one good song and copywrite sort of gets old after awhile. he has so many recycled verses and lines from 'freestyles' and other tracks hes featured on its retarded. jakki's ok, god vs satan was pretty good. nothing amazing lyrically though. vast is in the weathermen eh, dont know if you knew that. he wasnt in that conspiracy mixtape though, the only track ive heard him in with the weathermen tag was with yak ballz, thats one of my favourite vast verses. wow man....Copywirte isnt really that consistent i'll agree with you on that, but Tame One and Camu Tao are nice though man. I wanst dissappointed by the mixtape, but i guess its just difference of opinion.

D-Double
Originally posted by koolruningz

eek! Whats up D-Double? Aint seen you around for ages.

What up, Kool! big grin

... yeah, things are kinda hectic now-a-days. But, hopefully I'll be around more often.
Good to see ya still around, homeboy. wink

Phat J
wow man....Copywirte isnt really that consistent i'll agree with you on that, but Tame One and Camu Tao are nice though man. I wanst dissappointed by the mixtape, but i guess its just difference of opinion.

i might be biased because i really used to like yak balls and copywrite, thats how i found out about the weathermen. until searched out a whole bunch of their music and found out their best songs were the ones that got me into them.

camu's best verse is on vakill's album, and he justs rhymes numbers with other numbers. tame ones dope though, didnt mean to say he wasnt.

koolruningz
Originally posted by D-Double
What up, Kool! big grin

... yeah, things are kinda hectic now-a-days. But, hopefully I'll be around more often.
Good to see ya still around, homeboy. wink

Look forward to talking hip hop with you soon then bro. Awesome sig btw.
pimp

Mugen
Originally posted by Phat J
i might be biased because i really used to like yak balls and copywrite, thats how i found out about the weathermen. until searched out a whole bunch of their music and found out their best songs were the ones that got me into them.

camu's best verse is on vakill's album, and he justs rhymes numbers with other numbers. tame ones dope though, didnt mean to say he wasnt. Yeah, When Rappers Attack is sick, i haven't heard a whole lot by Camu Tao but what i've heard of him is nice. I got into the weathermen through Cage.

Mugen
Originally posted by koolruningz
Look forward to talking hip hop with you soon then bro. Awesome sig btw.
pimp Damn koolz where you been man? in case you haven noticed its me Tengu batman, but really though, whats really good son?
passes spliff, Tengu: Hit that dun!!

koolruningz
Damn koolz where you been man? in case you haven noticed its me Tengu batman, but really though, whats really good son?
passes spliff, Tengu: Hit that dun!!

big grin I've been around man, the hip hop thread has been pretty slow for a few weeks but i've been around (NBA thread mostly).

smokin' Thats some gooood shit bro, thanks! messed

Deathblow
Yeah, When Rappers Attack is sick, i haven't heard a whole lot by Camu Tao but what i've heard of him is nice. I got into the weathermen through Cage.

You should check out the S.A. Smash (Camu & Metro) album Smashy Trashy. It's dumb, fun party hip-hop, Weathermen style.

Camu is a nice producer, and he's a pretty underrated MC. His flow is totally unique, and his verse on Forbidden Scriptures is crazy intense. Completely outshines Breeze Evahflowin and Jakki.

Smallville
When I listened to Rap exclusively, which was like 6 or 7 years ago, I liked GZA. Liquid Swords was an awesome CD.

papabeard
RZA or Ol' Dirty

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.