Explanations for Power Usage VS. Blind Faith

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Horrificus
Someday you guys should come up with a way to break down powers and uses.

For instance, this "Super-Speed" arguement bugs me.

First of all, if the guys with super speed could actually use it all the time in fights, anybody without superspeed, preminition, or some cheesy pd would ALWAYS lose. Period.

So, I propose to you, that most characters with superspeed can only use it for travel, because, maybe, it is impossible for most minds to react properly to actions occurring at hyper-level speeds.

Kind of like, I can drive a car at 200 miles per hour, but if I tried to run through the woods at 200 mph, or even drive through woods at 200 miles per hour, i would not be able to react in time.

Get my drift?

So, the few guys that have actually shown they can fight at super-speeds would be doing so all the time, or have a reason why they were only ever able to do it a handful of times.

And they guys that have been able to beat or catch a super speedster should have a darned good reason why they were able to, or an excellent pd that we should all know about.

Is that confusing, or was I able to explain what I was trying to explain?

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Horrificus
Someday you guys should come up with a way to break down powers and uses.

For instance, this "Super-Speed" arguement bugs me.

First of all, if the guys with super speed could actually use it all the time in fights, anybody without superspeed, preminition, or some cheesy pd would ALWAYS lose. Period.

So, I propose to you, that most characters with superspeed can only use it for travel, because, maybe, it is impossible for most minds to react properly to actions occurring at hyper-level speeds.

Kind of like, I can drive a car at 200 miles per hour, but if I tried to run through the woods at 200 mph, or even drive through woods at 200 miles per hour, i would not be able to react in time.

Get my drift?

So, the few guys that have actually shown they can fight at super-speeds would be doing so all the time, or have a reason why they were only ever able to do it a handful of times.

And they guys that have been able to beat or catch a super speedster should have a darned good reason why they were able to, or an excellent pd that we should all know about.

Is that confusing, or was I able to explain what I was trying to explain?

Flash and Superman etc do use it and combat.

Horrificus
Right. But, not every character that can travel at super speeds can fight at it. But, in the threads, people list it as a fighting trait. Even when it's not.

Right?

Sir Whirlysplat
Right. But, not every character that can travel at super speeds can fight at it. But, in the threads, people list it as a fighting trait. Even when it's not.

Right?

I agree some can only use it for transport, like Thor.

Juntai

Right? It's still in the characters ABILITIES to do that, so it is certainly a viable excuse towards a good win. Then these characters are Bloodlusted, which would often produce quickest effects towards ending a battle effeciently. Most of the good posters are taking into effect character behavior vs bloodlust vs applicable PIS, feats, and generally eveything, and weighing the scale on who should win.

It is true though, a few only can for travel.

Scoobless

pd?

Juntai
plot device, I'm thinking, scoob.lol.

Horrificus
PD = Plot Device

sorry

But, again, the ability and proof of a being able to use super-speeds during a battle, itself, would pretty much put them in a class by themselves, even without powers. Super speed would constantly rival cosmic powers, Godhood, magic, etc.

For instance, say Doctor Doom suddenly gains hyper-speed. The ability to observe a potential battle he is about to find himself in, get back to his lab, custom build horrendous and brilliant weapons, obtain tools, chemicals, radioactive materials, etc., and blink back to the scene of his fight, and use the materials, all at such speeds that his opponents never knew he was there, gone, back, killing them, and gone again, would suddenly create a new power in the universe.

Right? It would change everything. So, there must be some rules in place keeping these beings from using this ability all the time. Rules that would be valuable for us to have. Or make up.

Sir Whirlysplat
PD = Plot Device

sorry

But, again, the ability and proof of a being able to use super-speeds during a battle, itself, would pretty much put them in a class by themselves, even without powers. Super speed would constantly rival cosmic powers, Godhood, magic, etc.

For instance, say Doctor Doom suddenly gains hyper-speed. The ability to observe a potential battle he is about to find himself in, get back to his lab, custom build horrendous and brilliant weapons, obtain tools, chemicals, radioactive materials, etc., and blink back to the scene of his fight, and use the materials, all at such speeds that his opponents never knew he was there, gone, back, killing them, and gone again, would suddenly create a new power in the universe.

Right? It would change everything. So, there must be some rules in place keeping these beings from using this ability all the time. Rules that would be valuable for us to have. Or make up.

Majestick and Pre crisis supes have done this smile

Horrificus
Right. And we know what level they are at. Yet, they have been beaten by non-super-speed beings. Which, in all honesty, just should not ever happen. Their ability to battle and act at these speeds, also means that their minds are in action at a much higher level than almost all other characters.

So, maybe that is the factor. Can a super speedster think at hyper levels as well as travel.

So, we have different super-speed abilities.

Travel - Just able to move at superspeed, like in a straightline, in a ship, between destinations, for example. May not take anything more than human level brain capabilities.

Reaction - The ability to avoid objects, attacks, make turns, etc. May just be instinctive, or slightly faster functions of certain parts of the brain.

Thought - Ability to be able to proces everything that is happening in front of you at super speeds, like battle, obstacles, preparation, etc. This would take thought at hyper speed. Way more than most characters ever show us.

So, just these three things would show different levels and abilities of so called super-speedsters. What characters have shown any or all of these? That is one way to guage how much use of superspeed they have in battle.

Khellendros
So, maybe that is the factor. Can a super speedster think at hyper levels as well as travel.
Majestic seems to be able to. Most DC speedsters can as well I believe. I saw this illustrated very well in an issue of Teen Titans. Kid Flash was found skating on a ramp (or whatever those half circle things are called) and explained that whenever he was in the air, he could change his perceptions so that he could spend relative hours hovering in the air thinking.

Horrificus
That's exactly what I'm talking about.
There should be proof that a character can use super speed in a specific way.
Just being able to travel at a certain speed is not good enough. It should be proven that they have used it effectivly in battle.

And, I think all three of the levels I mentioned above should be looked for in the past feats of a character.
Of course, if anybody else has other ideas, go for it. It was just an opinion.

Mindship
This is the problem with characters who have such incredible or godlike powers: in order to keep coming up with interesting and challenging stories, not all powers can be used all the time.

As a comparable example: the transporter in Star Trek. It was originally thought up by Roddenberry to get characters into stories faster (and to save special effects $$$ of showing the Enterprise landing on a different planet each week). Problem: if one can beam down into a situation in a snap, they shoulda been able to beam up just as fast...but then, where is the drama? So after a while the writers had to come up with plot devices: either an alien race so advanced as to block the transporter beam, or an alien race so primitive they could sneak up behind Koik and crew, bop them on the head with a rock, then take away their communicators.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.