ever notice...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr.Fate
ever notice that superheroes from other countries other then the US always get name to fit there place of origin. like the members of Alpha flight Sasquatch, Shaman, Puck, Northstar, Auora, Major maple Leaf, Yukon Jack. or Black Panther, silver samauri, Captain Britian the list goes on. i mean not every americian superhero has a name like Blazingflag, Captain Stars, Bald eagle I mean other then Captain America.

does anyone understand what i'm saying?

SnakeEyes
Yes. I understand.

Mr. Valentine
lol its true though, bt ever think that maybe thats the whole point, to associate the hero with the country?

Juntai
Originally posted by Mr. Valentine
lol its true though, bt ever think that maybe thats the whole point, to associate the hero with the country? or their ability.

whatever it is about the character you're meant to notice, is usually what they're named after.

The Ion
Originally posted by Juntai
or their ability.

whatever it is about the character you're meant to notice, is usually what they're named after.
That's why I think Black Lightning has the worst name out there. I have a hard time believing a guy would come up with such a name for himself. It'd be like John Stewart calling himself Dark Green Lantern. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Black Adam
Originally posted by The Ion
That's why I think Black Lightning has the worst name out there. I have a hard time believing a guy would come up with such a name for himself. It'd be like John Stewart calling himself Dark Green Lantern. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I heard he wanted to be called SuperVolt...........

Scoobless
Originally posted by Dr.Fate
ever notice that superheroes from other countries other then the US always get name to fit there place of origin. like the members of Alpha flight Sasquatch, Shaman, Puck, Northstar, Auora, Major maple Leaf, Yukon Jack. or Black Panther, silver samauri, Captain Britian the list goes on. i mean not every americian superhero has a name like Blazingflag, Captain Stars, Bald eagle I mean other then Captain America.

yeah...... but more importantly, why do a ton of superheroes have names that describe part, or all, of their powers?.... surely you wouldn't want your enemies to know

Spider-Man - spider powers
The Flash - very fast (not a streaker though)
Living Lightning - electrical powers
Storm - weather powers
Wolverine - short, hairy, claws, likes to fight
Giant Man - grows
Ant Man - shrinks/talks to ants
Green Arrow - uses arrows(not a power, but still...)
Invisible Woman - invisibility
Beast - beastly
Multiple Man - multiplies
etc, etc.....

Sir Whirlysplat
The new Marvel all female comic team set in Glasgow I believe is called "The mingers" can you confirm this Scoobs? smile

Scoobless
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
The new Marvel all female comic team set in Glasgow I believe is called "The mingers" can you confirm this Scoobs? smile

I believe the actual title is "The Fat Useless Mingers" .... shifty

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Scoobless
I believe the actual title is "The Fat Useless Mingers" .... shifty

laughing I think they will have an East Coast team from Southend-on-sea in Essex sick rough sick shifty

Scoobless
laughing I think they will have an East Coast team from Southend-on-sea in Essex sick rough sick shifty

"Earth's Slutiest Heroes"

Sir Whirlysplat
"Earth's Slutiest Heroes"

laughing Classic

inamilist
Originally posted by Dr.Fate

simple market economics in work

beautiful isnt it

Xirius
Irish super heroes get that as well
"Banshee" and "Shamrock"..........*shudder*

Scoobless
I've never met anyone who talks the way Moira McTaggart does in the X books.... and what's with her name? couldn't they think of a more stereotyped scottish sounding one?

I'm surprised she wasn't called Ruth McJock

Sir Whirlysplat
I've never met anyone who talks the way Moira McTaggart does in the X books.... and what's with her name? couldn't they think of a more stereotyped scottish sounding one?

I'm surprised she wasn't called Ruth McJock

or Jock Mcstrapping laughing out loud

grey fox
or Jock Mcstrapping laughing out loud

...Or Bitchcakes McDoogle.

Mindship
yeah...... but more importantly, why do a ton of superheroes have names that describe part, or all, of their powers?.... surely you wouldn't want your enemies to know

Spider-Man - spider powers
The Flash - very fast (not a streaker though)
Living Lightning - electrical powers
Storm - weather powers
Wolverine - short, hairy, claws, likes to fight
Giant Man - grows
Ant Man - shrinks/talks to ants
Green Arrow - uses arrows(not a power, but still...)
Invisible Woman - invisibility
Beast - beastly
Multiple Man - multiplies
etc, etc.....

Actually, knowing what you're about through your moniker or costume: isn't that what Batman was after?

Ant Man, though...what was the inspiration for that one? And why "Booster Gold?"

Another reason why Namor is such a cool dude: no silly name, no silly costume. What you see is what you get. Same thing with Hulk.

Scoobless
"Hulk" was just a description.... not really like Namor at all

Mindship
True, but it still works better than something like "Wonder Woman."

And, now that I am looking at your sig..."Iron Man" isn't a bad moniker.

grey fox
Originally posted by Mindship
True, but it still works better than something like "Wonder Woman."

And, now that I am looking at your sig..."Iron Man" isn't a bad moniker.

How about El Serpenterro ?

grey fox
G'night guy's

Next Venom_girl
Check out these sites:
http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/nonus.htm
Superheroes from around the world.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dungeon/2864/Super_Lists.html
Superlist of Supers.

Disappear
Another reason why Namor is such a cool dude: no silly name, no silly costume. What you see is what you get. Same thing with Hulk.

Namor? Are you talking about "The Sub-Mariner"? I know not this Nay-more.

Dizzle

Actually, I'd say Namor's costume is plenty silly... It's a green scaly speedo and some wings on his ankles. His black one is badass as hell, but he almost never uses it. His overall character keeps him cool, but just the outfit by itself isn't all that and a bag of chips.

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by Dizzle
Actually, I'd say Namor's costume is plenty silly... It's a green scaly speedo and some wings on his ankles.

But the speedo isn't really a costume. It's simply a swimsuit. It makes a sense, because he swims pretty often...why wear baggy clothes when they are only in the way when swimming? He could wear an armor if he wanted, but then again, he doesn't really need it, does he?

And his ankle wings aren't part of the costume....they are part of his body. He couldn't get rid of them if he wanted...(Well, he could, but it would hurt like hell).

And the black costume would rock, but it's a shame that about 90% of artists and writers forget it. Steve McNiven doesn't, thats why I like his art. And he seems to be wearing it most of the time in the Civil War arc, so it's good.

Mindship
Question about the black costume: as I remember it, it had Black-Bolt type wings under the arms. I gather those attached directly to his skin. I wonder what purpose they serve. Considering "the Sub-Mariner" is a pretty practical guy (I mean, all he does usually wear is the scaly speedo cuz it's all he needs), you would not think they'd be purely for ornamentation.

TheKahn
Question about the black costume: as I remember it, it had Black-Bolt type wings under the arms. I gather those attached directly to his skin. I wonder what purpose they serve. Considering "the Sub-Mariner" is a pretty practical guy (I mean, all he does usually wear is the scaly speedo cuz it's all he needs), you would not think they'd be purely for ornamentation.

Maybe it helped to improve the hydro-dynamic characterstics of his body in the water. Thoes things seem to be pretty popular in marvel regardless (spiderwoman, spiderman, blackbolt)

Scoobless
Originally posted by TheKahn
Maybe it helped to improve the hydro-dynamic characterstics of his body in the water. Thoes things seem to be pretty popular in marvel regardless (spiderwoman, spiderman, blackbolt)

Maybe to help his aerial maneuverability

Mindship
Maybe to help his aerial maneuverability

Wings seem to do that (eg, WW and her eagle armor). Even if you can already fly, wings make you fly better.

I'm just wondering how he keeps those underarm wings attached to his skin.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.