History Forum

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DE Calvin
I have contacted Raz, and he said that I need make this thread, and if I get enough support, he will make it. If you like this idea, or have any questions or comments, please post. Thank you for at least reading this far. It will be a hisroty forum that discusses events in History and maybe in the future, a History Versus forum.

Captain REX
Hmm! Could be interesting.

Nevermind
I'd like to see how a History forum would play out here. I'll go for it.

dave123
History forum FTW!

DarkWizard
History VS?

Napoleon VS Beethoven!!!!

DE Calvin
The main thing right now is just a History Forum, If we can get that, then we'll think about a Vs. Forum.

Wesker
Gives us history, or give us death.

Erm...

Well...

Just give us history, man.

DE Calvin
Originally posted by DarkWizard
History VS?

Napoleon VS Beethoven!!!! Originally posted by dave123
History forum FTW!
Use the poll please. stick out tongue

Fishy
Go for it I say, could be interesting...

Bardock42
Would like to see it.

Lörd Sorgo
Yay! A new place to debate!

Blaxican_Jedi
I suck at woorld history. But thread loosk good anyways, count me in.

DigiMark007
Vs. forums are the suck a lot of times. Ask any Mod who is in charge of one...

Otherwise, not a bad idea. Could be really interesting.

Lana
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Vs. forums are the suck a lot of times. Ask any Mod who is in charge of one...

Otherwise, not a bad idea. Could be really interesting.

No kidding....

And I can't personally say that I think that this forum would really get the support it would need.

DE Calvin
Just forget about the Vs. Part for now.

Bloigen
Meh, it's all good now but when it comes no one posts in it.

DE Calvin
They will, they will shifty

Wesker
We don't exactly have a lot of scholars browsing this place though. It's a movie/game/pwnz00rs type community.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Bloigen

Probably more than in Ninja Turtle and Tarantion though....make it a General Discussion Subforum and it will be alright.

Fishy
You'd probably be surprised, and if the place really dies it can always be removed again...

Lana
Originally posted by Wesker
We don't exactly have a lot of scholars browsing this place though. It's a movie/game/pwnz00rs type community.

Leave the SW Vs forum and you'll see that's not quite true stick out tongue

I just can't really see people having too much interest in discussing stuff that's basically homework assignments.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Fishy
You'd probably be surprised, and if the place really dies it can always be removed again...
Yeah, or merged or something....

Piggle Humsy
I don't know how often I personally would post in there but I would definitely read other peoples threads/posts regularly in there so I say Yes! yes

thumb up

DE Calvin
People enjoy history. It's no more nerdy thatn star wars.

Bloigen
Originally posted by DE Calvin
People enjoy history. It's no more nerdy thatn star wars.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. YOU'RE WRONG! YOU'RE WRONG! YOU'RE WRONG!

Scrubs owns

Bardock42
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. YOU'RE WRONG! YOU'RE WRONG! YOU'RE WRONG!

Scrubs owns

OH HELL YEAH

eggmayo
Actually a History forum might be good.. probably one of the more interlectual bits of KMC, too.

Wesker
Like the seemingly neglected philosophy section.

Woot!

ShinobiRikari
interesting idea.

Barker
Originally posted by Lana
I just can't really see people having too much interest in discussing stuff that's basically homework assignments.
:ye:

RedAlertv2
good idea id post in it

DE Calvin
Ok, thanks. use the poll if you dont mind.

Veneficus
I say go for it. *votes for History Forum*

rickyduck
Originally posted by Veneficus
I say go for it. *votes for History Forum*

here hear!

pezza
i like this idea a lot a yes from me

DE Calvin
Bump

Illustrious
I would love to see it.

Makedde
I like the idea!

Storm
The General Discussion Forum is fit for these type of discussions imo.

Eis
Sounds really interesting but I agree with Storm.

Mišt

It should be about time to change that really...too many bored teenagers with nothing better to do roaming around putting crap out there.

I like the idea thumb up

True...if its going to just be copy/paste info from Google it'll get old fast...

Da preacher
I LOVE the idea.

bogen
luv it, lets get started!

Raz
Originally posted by Storm
The General Discussion Forum is fit for these type of discussions imo. Good point. There don't seem to be many history threads in the GDF.

So I'm wondering if the people who are voting 'yes' would actually participate in such a forum?

sweetness
I like the idea alot and i'd definitely participate in a history forum happy

Zebina
Good Idea thumb up

Alliance

TOH
Originally posted by Raz
Good point. There don't seem to be many history threads in the GDF.

So I'm wondering if the people who are voting 'yes' would actually participate in such a forum?
I was wondering the same because one thing is "ok, the idea is cool" another is "we really need a new forum to talk about it"
I have an idea: Open something like: "The Official History Thread" and see what happens...

Storm
The offer in the GDF isn' t big enough to separate the threads into a (sub) forum imo.

Supporting an idea and actively participating in the debates once the (sub) forum is created are indeed two different things.

Bardock42
The offer in the GDF isn' t big enough to separate the threads into a (sub) forum imo.

Supporting an idea and actively participating in the debates once the (sub) forum is created are indeed two different things.

Well, there are 30 votes for yes and comparing it to the other Sub Forums...where there are like 3 regular participants, it certainly has aa chance. I don't see the harm in it either.

DE Calvin
The General Discussion Forum is fit for these type of discussions imo.
In that case, everything would fit into the GDF.

Storm
Hence the "general" in GDF.

I skimmed through the first 10 pages of the GDF and found 1 thread, contrary to the Philosophy and Religion Forum which earned their place. There were grounds for separating them from the GDF. I' m just wondering where those 31 members who voted yes are?

And no offense DE Calvin, but you haven' t started a single thread concerning history yourself.

I' m just of the opinion that there should be a reasonable amount of threads first, before requesting any new forums. Creating forums for the sake of it seems a tad pointless to me.

Makedde
What sort of history would we talk about anyway?

eggmayo
Personally i'd be talking about the two world wars and the vietnam war, but its a massive difference of opinion as to which aspects of history most interest you.

Wesker
I'd actively participate in the forum. KMC gets a lot of traffic via Google, and with a month or set let set (With a few topics with common searched history ideas and names) and it'll be on the move. I disagree on the material being shoveled into the General Discussion; I look in there and see a lot of Current Events type deals and miscellany threads that haven't yet been moved to their proper sections. I can see a history subforum under there next to phlosophy and religion being welcome and useful. I don't look in the General Discussion section and go "Hey, I'd love to discuss Hannibal of Carthage here". I think "OMfg... this thread has way too much casual traffic. My history thread would get buried and neglected."

In any case, it won't hurt to try. If it doesn't pan out in a month or two, consolidate the threads into General Discussion and scrap the idea.

That's my two cents.

Storm

Wesker
Not everything's going to just spring up and demand a place though. History isn't a popular trend or a media type- it's a serious subject. Like I said, looking as both a first-time poster and even now over a year later, I took one look in the General Forums and said "Nah, not posting anything really intelligent in here." It had nothing to do with it generating interest and everything to do with it being buried instantaneously about topics like "Wu screwd wu in teh show!!1/1??" and "arbortoin r teh wr0ng!!!" within the first hour. Most browsers are going to take in at a glance the first page-full of data they see and make a decision whether or not to post. If it's consolidated into one subforum, there's less crap to sort through to find chocolate.

In America, voting is simple. But less than 60% of voters vote. Why? Voter registration was the main problem. It was a simple process in itself, but it was one more hurdle and the public wasn't interested enough to put that kind of effort. This is the modern communications era- they wanted to hit a button, pick the guy who's securing their pension, and go home or to the bar.

Same mindset here- browsing is really simple. But when you can't browse at a glance and isolate topics you want to work on, it suddenly goes from hopeful to "Eh, I ain't doin' that" mentality. With 80,000 members or more, I'm sure the subforum will generate interest.

Fishy
I have to agree with that, I never felt the need to start any kind of history thread in the GDF, now I am not the greatest thread starter out there. But a subforum about something like this would probably generate a lot more threads. Personally I don't really see the GDF as a place to post a history thread, to me its more a current events discussion place instead of a place where you can just start threads about everything you want as long as its serious.

With a history subforum you are kinda forced to talk about history, and people will make threads about history. And I know I would post in it.

DE Calvin
Raz ok-ed it. Now I need to make a thread in the GDF, and have people post in it. Any ideas for the topic?

eggmayo
How about 'Most interesting period of time and why?'

Wesker
You can discuss certain scenarios, and their relevance, too. Discuss popular figures and their motives, goals, etc. History is always best discussed in context or relevance to issues.

For example colonialism and expansionism basically shaped the world today, but for the better? Discuss.

It's a rich section. I'm quite happy we have one now.

*Bows to Mastah Raz* Danke!

DE Calvin
Originally posted by eggmayo
How about 'Most interesting period of time and why?'
Ok sounds good. I'll put up a link soon.

DE Calvin
You can discuss certain scenarios, and their relevance, too. Discuss popular figures and their motives, goals, etc. History is always best discussed in context or relevance to issues.

For example colonialism and expansionism basically shaped the world today, but for the better? Discuss.

It's a rich section. I'm quite happy we have one now.

*Bows to Mastah Raz* Danke!
We have one already? Where?

DE Calvin
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f11/t395497.html

DE Calvin
Originally posted by DE Calvin
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f11/t395497.html

K.Diddy
History?No thanks5lolol

Human Smoke
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9092/letmistback0gi.jpg

Bloigen
And the point of that was?

X-Menfan87
I Like the Idea Of A History Forum.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by X-Menfan87
I Like the Idea Of A History Forum.

no expression Isn't History class boring enough for you

Grand Moff Gav
History is always fun! However I must warn that a huge amount of argument will come about regarding certain issues and historical facts, which is of course what being a historian is all about, collecting and analysing data and deciding which is most valuable, something I have been doing for a fare few years now.

Also we will see alot of arguments steaming from the way people have been taught or from the books they have read. I doubt that many people will take time to gather as much information as possible from various sources and give forward a balanced argument to support their view.

No, I predict a mass of people surfing to wikipedia and then back with little tidbits of information.

If you do I will know as I helped write alot of the WikiHistory pages, mostly on the Third Reich and that will almost certainly appear in a few threads.

Also a History VS forum does sound like a good idea as it could e fun to debate the historical relevance of one country/person/period to another.

I say go for it Raz it sounds like a good forum and I will be posting there for a dead cert! big grin

X-Menfan87
Originally posted by K.Diddy
no expression Isn't History class boring enough for you
Actaully I like History but I don't like other subjects. erm

Raz
I've created the History Forum on a trial basis here: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f97/

If things don't go to plan, I will just move the threads to the GDF.

Ritoshi
I just saw it andcreepy lol, like 0 posts, never seen a fresh new forum before eek.

rickyduck
Originally posted by Raz
I've created the History Forum on a trial basis here: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f97/

Cheers!

Fatal Smoke
WOOT! I can't wait for it to get up and Running, Hope to see you all there!!!!!

Barker
Is there a reason it's Right between the Signature and Artwork threads? confused

WrathfulDwarf
Don't you guys think is a bit too early for social threads in the new forum? erm

Barker
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Don't you guys think is a bit too early for social threads in the new forum? erm
Yeah, Give it a few Hundred, then maybe..
Originally posted by Barker
Is there a reason it's Right between the Signature and Artwork threads? confused
I Meant Forums, Obviously.

TOH
you have a point

Lana
Yeah, I thought that was a pretty strange place to put it myself confused

Janus Marius
Originally posted by TOH
you have a point

I love your animated sigs, btw. Mario kicks ass.

And why does the drop down menu give me an error when I go to select the History subforum?

Raz
Is there a reason it's Right between the Signature and Artwork threads? confused Yes there is....I didn't see the sig forum wink

X-Menfan87
Just curious why is there no mod for it?

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

I agree. messed

Why should there be one?

WD seems quite engaged, Ush knows a lot about history, Storm flunctuates quite alot between these kind of forums and so do I.

We're all globals, so we all keep an eye on it...

Lana
Originally posted by Raz
Yes there is....I didn't see the sig forum wink

mad

stick out tongue

Not really any need for one...it's still tiny, and the globals can easily keep an eye on it.

X-Menfan87
Okay just curious smile

lil bitchiness
Okay just curious smile No worries. Also, I didn't mean to appear hostile, just explaining the situation.

X-Menfan87
big grin

Storm
Originally posted by Raz

They didn' t in my opinion, and I would suggest to pull the plug. The 48 people supporting the creation of a History Forum have never been contributing enough on a regular basis to justify its existence.

Raz
They didn' t in my opinion, and I would suggest to pull the plug. The 48 people supporting the creation of a History Forum have never been contributing enough on a regular basis to justify its existence. I agree. I've posted a notice, and will close it by the end of the week.

Raz
The history forum is finally ... history ...

Utrigita
Where have it been moved Raz???

Storm
All threads have been moved to the GDF.

Utrigita
Next question what is GDF??? General debating forum???

Storm
The General Discussion Forum.

Utrigita
thanks

InnerRise
Yeah, I didn't see this lasting.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Raz
The history forum is finally ... history ...

Oh well, is bound to repeat itself one day.

The Year 2011

stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.