Robot's, What will arise from them?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Vinny Valentine
Robots,

We see in many films Robots running around and acting like humans, helping out in daily chores and such, but will our world ever actually come to something like that?

Now its year 2006, and our greatest accomplishments in Robot technology is Honda's little Robot. Do you Think that by year 2200 there will be robots walking around daily in our activity's that we do each day? Maybe something like the movie Irobot?

What do you think about Robots and the advancements in technology? Do you believe that Robots will cause great ease in Humans life or just cause pain and misery like in the movie the Matrix?

Honda's Robot

Comments?

Deano
never mind robots acting like humans.

humans acting like robots is the thing that concerns me

dave123
Yay capitalism! Down with Deano!

Fishy
I wonder if we will hve humans walking around by the year 2200... And robots.. They would probably only serve to serve humans and take jobs from the people without educations...

Bardock42
I love Robots. I think they will be very important in our future, and although I don't think they will be the downfall of humanity (at least not violent) I wouldn't mind them taking over for us when we are extincted.

Oh, and Asimov's "I, Robot" Short Stories are much better than the Movie...

Sir Whirlysplat
The Culture "minds" are cooler smile Iain Banks

Bardock42
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
The Culture "minds" are cooler smile Iain Banks

Seeing as I didn't read them I can't comment on that, but I will check them out...since whirly got good taste in Literature at times.

Vinny Valentine
I'm going to still stick with my t hought that Robots will once be able to become better then humans, and once humans purpose is complete and Robots can make themselves we are ****ed.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
I'm going to still stick with my t hought that Robots will once be able to become better then humans, and once humans purpose is complete and Robots can make themselves we are ****ed.

They might be altruistic like the "minds" in the culture.

meep-meep
Originally posted by Fishy
I wonder if we will hve humans walking around by the year 2200... And robots.. They would probably only serve to serve humans and take jobs from the people without educations...

It's weird but I could see something like that happening. If a robot that could be built for less than the cost of hiring a janitor, cook etc. I could see people building robots rather than give people jobs in the name of pure profit. So, I think robots would serve, but only those who can afford them.

Something else that troubles me about robots replacing people in various work envirnments is that a person (employer) can treat a robot like shit, completely ignoring it, and it wouldn't matter because the robot is expendable. They are less trouble than dealing with an actual person, so to me it seems replacing humans with robots will only create a horrible disconnection between people of different classes.

Bardock42

Why? We can install safety measures...and not to burst your bubble, what would be so bad about Robots that, as you said, are better "then" us taking over?

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Bardock42
Seeing as I didn't read them I can't comment on that, but I will check them out...since whirly got good taste in Literature at times.

You'll enjoy it trust me, Banks is the best modern Sci Fi writer except for maybe Stephen Baxter.

Bardock42
You'll enjoy it trust me, Banks is the best modern Sci Fi writer except for maybe Stephen Baxter.

Good, I will do that then...my knowledge in Science Fiction is severely lacking.....sadly.

Vinny Valentine
Why? We can install safety measures...and not to burst your bubble, what would be so bad about Robots that, as you said, are better "then" us taking over?

Well I think that Robots ever did have the power to take over, then they would figure out a way toget past our safety measures and such, also they would have no use for us after they could repair and service themselves , so why keep humans around?

Sir Whirlysplat
Good, I will do that then...my knowledge in Science Fiction is severely lacking.....sadly.

Banks is the man to start with, then read the Xeelee sequence by Stephen Baxter, they are simply the best at the moment. Banks writes even better non Sci Fi though, like the Wasp Factory. Which I think you would love.

The Culture

http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~stefan/culture.html

Culture Minds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_(The_Culture)

Wasp Factory

http://www.geocities.com/athens/academy/6422/rev1153.html

Stephen Baxter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Baxter

Bardock42
Well I think that Robots ever did have the power to take over, then they would figure out a way toget past our safety measures and such, also they would have no use for us after they could repair and service themselves , so why keep humans around?

On the one hand safety measures wouldn't be avoidable....a machinwe without desire to get past them won't try or do. On the other hand, the question is would it be bad if humans were extincted and Robots would exist instead?

Sir Whirlysplat
Banks is the man to start with, then read the Xeelee sequence by Stephen Baxter, they are simply the best at the moment. Banks writes even better non Sci Fi though, like the Wasp Factory. Which I think you would love.

The Culture

http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~stefan/culture.html

Culture Minds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_(The_Culture)

Wasp Factory

http://www.geocities.com/athens/academy/6422/rev1153.html

Stephen Baxter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Baxter

Vinny Valentine
On the one hand safety measures wouldn't be avoidable....a machinwe without desire to get past them won't try or do. On the other hand, the question is would it be bad if humans were extincted and Robots would exist instead?

What exactly do you mean?

meep-meep

Whoa. Slow down. First, the robots would have to percieve humans as being a threat. That would also mean the the robots would have gained "life" in the sense that they worry for their own safety. I doubt that a person would program a robot to view humans as a threat unless that person was a suicidal.

Bardock42
What exactly do you mean?

Why? What do you mean "what do I mean"?

meep-meep
Robots would also have to evolve in order to continue their "life." I don't think a robot can evolve in the same way a living, breathing, biological organism can.

Vinny Valentine
Why? What do you mean "what do I mean"?

messed Okay you seriously lost me, Explain what your question was again laughing out loud

Bardock42
messed Okay you seriously lost me, Explain what your question was again laughing out loud

Would it be a bad thing if humans were killed and Robots would take over instead? And if yes, why?

Vinny Valentine
Would it be a bad thing if humans were killed and Robots would take over instead? And if yes, why?

Well It would be the end for humans, the world would no longer hold any Biological creature with the intellect of us. Robots would eventually take over the whole world killing things most likely and causing a huge amount of gas to go into the Ozone. But if theyy could find a way to get around gasses and they acted like humans they would most likely be better for eart messed

Mindship
It's not so much robots per se that will challenge us, it's artificial intelligence. I believe every computer expert on the planet will tell you that before this century ends, there will be machines more intelligent than human beings. Among other things, AI will begin to design and improve itself, all at speeds far faster than our biological snail's pace.

The Singularity cometh.

allofyousuckkk
if one more person says extincted im gonna freak out.....its extinct, ok

Vinny Valentine
Extincted

Bardock42
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
if one more person says extincted im gonna freak out.....its extinct, ok

Sorry. Will try.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Mindship
It's not so much robots per se that will challenge us, it's artificial intelligence. I believe every computer expert on the planet will tell you that before this century ends, there will be machines more intelligent than human beings. Among other things, AI will begin to design and improve itself, all at speeds far faster than our biological snail's pace.

The Singularity cometh.

And cometh fast, Vinge is the prophet for the 21st Century!

Vinny Valentine
yes

Atlantis001

Mindship

Atlantis001
Originally posted by Mindship
No doubt, a whole new approach to understanding cognitive processes will have to be involved. I also find--in literature regarding AI, the Singularity, and dangers inherent--that there seems to be a confusion of intelligence with consciousness and/or motivation. Just because you have an artificial brain which can think faster and even perform far more parallel operations than a human brain, it doesn't necessarily mean it is "conscious" (not operationally defining "consciousness" for the moment), or that it will wanna take over the world (inherently have that motivation).

Still, once artificial brains start designing better artificial brains, we humans will, to a large extent, be "out of the loop."

I agree. Consciousness is something that cannot be achieved by logic, its impossible to write an algorithm that would be the equivalent to consciousness. Consciousness is non-algorithmic, or by the terminology of the mathematician, and physicist Roger Penrose, consciousness is non computable, what means it cannot be described.

To create AI, its needed to create an algorithm that makes "choices" (like we do), and it is impossible to make it. Many mathematicians tryied to define choice mathematically, and they concluded it is impossible. There is no mathematical function that "chooses" an element from an given set, it always need to follow a rule to pick the element. Choice is a concept that does not exist in mathematics and logic, and choice is needed for consciousness. This is interesting because if someone wants consciousness, then he will have to give up logic.

Mindship
I've always viewed intelligence as an operation which takes place in the "field" of consciousness. Or put another way, mind is figure in the larger ground of consciousness. In any event, the two are not synonomous. It just seems that way cuz we identify so closely with our minds that that "figure" takes up the whole ground. We fail to see the forest for the trees.

Vinny Valentine
what If they didn't have to make choices though, They did what they needed to do at all times?

Atlantis001

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.