Your ten most influential people of the last 100 years

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sir Whirlysplat
Catorgaries:

Rules: they can have been born in the 19th Century but they have to have done their greatest work in the last 100 years

Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Maths
Literature
Classical Music
Popular Music
Politics
Art
Peace Prize

My Choices.

Physics :- Albert Einstein
Chemistry :- Herman Staudinger
Biology :- Watson, Crick, Franklin, Wilkins (as a group and yes I credit Franklin!)
Maths :- Norbert wiener (not weener smile )
Literature :- Stephen King (I could have gone for Tolkien, Frank Herbert (Dune), even HG Wells as most of wells work was published post 1906 although the Invisible Man and War of the Worlds were not). I've gone for King because I see him as the first great popularist writer of the television age. He has tapped into the worlds psyche and produced best sellers for more than 30 years and some of the like the Green Mile or Rita Haworth and the Shawshank Redemption have become trancendent. The Dark Tower is pretentios but true clever.
Classical Music :- Sergei Vasilievich Rachmaninoff I could have gone forsomeone like Elgar, Puccini, Strauss or Debusey, I like Rachmaninoff and I guess his another popularist choice for me.
Popular Music :- John Lennon
Politics :- Winston Churchill
Art :- Andy Warhol "Making money is art and working is art and good business is the best art. " "Once you 'got' Pop, you could never see a sign again the same way again. And once you thought Pop, you could never see America the same way again." nuff said!
Peace Prize:- Mahatma Gandhi for me takes it over Mandella due to his adherance from the start to non violence.

This is my personal list it's not right and it's not wrong! What are your choices and why? If you've given it some thought they are not right or wrong either even if they are very different to mine.

dave123
Mr T for all of the above

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by dave123
Mr T for all of the above

smile Perhaps, but do you have a more serious set of choices?

dave123
Indeed I do, but I do not have the time to think of them AND list them stick out tongue Maybe later....

Until then, I pity the fool eek!

Sir Whirlysplat
Indeed I do, but I do not have the time to think of them AND list them stick out tongue Maybe later....

Until then, I pity the fool eek!

"Pain" smile I look forward to reading them Dave

Bardock42
Physics: Einstein
Chemistry: Marie Curie maybe.....
Biology: Watson and Cricks
Maths: Maybe Courant
Literature: James Joyce...I guess.
Classical Music: Alban Berg
Popular Music: John Lennon
Politics: Hitler
Art: Salvador Dali
Peace Prize: Ghandi

Edit and updated it....

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Bardock42
Biology: Maybe the DNA guys...whose name I luckily forgot....me idiot.
Classical Music: Can't Judge
Popular Music: Beatles
Art: Can Tell

You're probably right about Hitler I guess he was the spark for change, although Stalin, Churchill, etc all make strong cases.

dave123
Well it's most influential to us, so we're all bound to have different views stick out tongue

For example, the effect of Stalin or Churchill would be quite different depending on where you live stick out tongue

Bardock42
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
You're probably right about Hitler I guess he was the spark for change, although Stalin, Churchill, etc all make strong cases.

Updated it a bit...but Hitler had certainly a major Impact...some might argue that William II had more overall but he'S really more a 19th century person....

Sir Whirlysplat
Well it's most influential to us, so we're all bound to have different views stick out tongue

For example, the effect of Stalin or Churchill would be quite different depending on where you live stick out tongue

Exactly, as I said their can be no right or wrong in this thread if you've given it thought. Although I might revise mine and agree with Bardock on Hitler.

Sir Whirlysplat
Updated it a bit...but Hitler had certainly a major Impact...some might argue that William II had more overall but he'S really more a 19th century person....

The Physics and Classical Music were hardest for me so many to choose from getting a shortlist was really hard. Bohr, Heisenberg etc and then all the later ones. Yup Physics was hard so I went for the guy who changed it all first.

botankus
Catorgaries:

Rules: they can have been born in the 19th Century but they have to have done their greatest work in the last 100 years

What? No Princess Diana, Whirly?

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by botankus
What? No Princess Diana, Whirly?

shifty strangely...... No! smile

WrathfulDwarf
Physics (none)
Chemistry (none)
Biology (none)
Maths (none)
Literature: John Steinbeck
Classical Music: (none)
Popular Music: B.B. King and Bono
Politics: MLK
Art: H.G. Giger
Peace Prize: That lady from Guatemala (I forgot her name..but she's cool)

Alpha Centauri
Seeing as there is nobody personally influential to me in science, I'll just do the others:

Literature: Alan Moore.
Classical Music: Rachmaninov.
Popular Music: Mike Patton or Prince.
Politics: I would say John Kennedy.
Art: Alex Grey.
Peace Prize: Over time, I'd agree with WD and say M.L.K.

-AC

Bardock42
Wait a sexond.....is it "Your Top Ten of most influential people of the last 100 years" or "Top Ten of most influential people to you in the last 100 years"?

Sir Whirlysplat
Wait a sexond.....is it "Your Top Ten of most influential people of the last 100 years" or "Top Ten of most influential people to you in the last 100 years"?

Who you think are the most influential overall. I guess in comics AC is right with Alan Moore and its a kind of literature which only started in the twentieth century and as valid as my going for Warhol in art and I agree totally Alan Moore is the most influential in Americas most original art form (even though Moores a brit wink). I like all his choices all yours and all WDs cases I think could be made for all of them!

Bardock42
Who you think are the most influential overall. I guess in comics AC is right with Alan Moore and its a kind of literature which only started in the twentieth century and as valid as my going for Warhol in art and I agree totally Alan Moore is the most influential in Americas most original art form (even though Moores a brit wink). I like all his choices all yours and all WDs cases I think could be made for all of them!

I like Moore more..but Miller is pretty influental as well...

Sir Whirlysplat
I like Moore more..but Miller is pretty influental as well...

He is but, I'll take Miracleman, The Watchmen, V for Vendetta (when it was written not now it really doesn't scan anymore) over Millers work, that said his Dareveil run in the late 70's early 80's violenve was a secret pleasure I kept from my parents wink and Darknight although dated is always enjoyable to reread!

Bardock42
He is but, I'll take Miracleman, The Watchmen, V for Vendetta (when it was written not now it really doesn't scan anymore) over Millers work, that said his Dareveil run in the late 70's early 80's violenve was a secret pleasure I kept from my parents wink and Darknight although dated is always enjoyable to reread!

What the...V for Vendetta is amazing nowadays.....actually my favorite by him....so far...

And it'S not about personal Preference....Miller did influence Comics quite a bit...so did Moore though.....

Sir Whirlysplat
What the...V for Vendetta is amazing nowadays.....actually my favorite by him....so far...

And it'S not about personal Preference....Miller did influence Comics quite a bit...so did Moore though.....

I kind of think V died with Thatcherism, it was about home grown fascism in the UK. Thatcher went and the Torys lost. Moore himself admits it's not relevant in the way he wrote it today, his also very worried about Warchowski brothers movie.

Bardock42
I kind of think V died with Thatcherism, it was about home grown fascism in the UK. Thatcher went and the Torys lost. Moore himself admits it's not relevant in the way he wrote it today, his also very worried about Warchowski brothers movie.

Hmm I am looking forward to it...and I think it is very interestig today as well.

And to be honest I hardly think it is that much about England of that time..it can be said for every country....the circumstances were right...great piece of art in any way....

Sir Whirlysplat
Hmm I am looking forward to it...and I think it is very interestig today as well.

And to be honest I hardly think it is that much about England of that time..it can be said for every country....the circumstances were right...great piece of art in any way....

Moore wrote it as an extrapolation of what he felt was going on in the eighties.

In his 1983 essay "Behind the Painted Smile," V For Vendetta's author Alan Moore discusses the issue of ideas and genesis. His opening comments refer to the typical scene from any given science fiction convention, where hoards of (usually) young fans pack hotel convention rooms to hear their icons (the writers, actors, directors, and thinkers behind science fact and fiction) speak a few words: one eager kid, voice wavering (thinking, I've been waiting my *whole life* for this moment) asks "Where do you get your ideas from?". The reaction:

We sneer. We lampoon and ridicule the sniveling little oaf before his peers.... We imply that even to have voiced such a question places him irretrievably in the same category as the common pencil-sharpener.... The reason why we do this is pretty straightforward. Firstly, in the dismal and confused sludge of opinion and half- truth that make up all artistic theory and criticism, it is the only question worth asking. Secondly, we don't know the answer and we're scared that somebody will find out. (p. 268).
Rather than ever find myself in such an embarrassing position, I have undertaken to ferret out the origins of Moore's ideas. The task has been unbelievably arduous, not because any of the sources were too difficult to find, but because Moore covered so much ground. I found myself walking from one end of the library to the other, consulting science dictionaries, rose-naming serials, history books, films, and musical compact discs. I even explored some of my questions on the Internet, sending inquiries about such topics Son of Sam and Aliester Crowley, and receiving answers from around the world!

Moore has apparently learned that his questioners want to know about his ideas; at the present Moore is working on a graphic series called "From Hell" which features as its main character Jack the Ripper. I was unable to locate any issues of this work, but I am told that it is entirely annotated by Moore (Coates, personal communication). This is certainly unusual for a "comic book" but Moore is clearly addressing the issues of origin more clearly, perhaps for himself as well as for the reader.

In developing the originalV For Vendetta series, Moore and Lloyd "wanted to do something that would be uniquely British rather than emulate the vast amount of American material on the market," (Moore 270). Both were political pessimists, and decided that the in world they wanted to portray "the future would be pretty grim, bleak and totalitarian, thus giving us a convenient antagonist to play our hero off against," (Moore 270). They played with ideas, borrowing from books like _Farenheit_451_, until Moore, in frustration, compiled a list of the elements he wanted to draw together for the piece. He writes:

The list was something as follows: Orwell. Huxley. Thomas Disch. Judge Dredd. Harlan Ellison's "Repent Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman." "Catman" and "Prowler in the City at the Edge of the World" by the same author. Vincent Price's Dr. Phibes and Theatre of Blood. David Bowie. The Shadow. Nightraven. Batman. Farenheit 451. The writings of the New Worlds school of science fiction. Max Ernst's painting "Europe After the Rains." Thomas Pynchon. The atmosphere of British Second World War films. The Prisoner. Robin Hood. Dick Turpin... (270)
Also of great import in the development of V For Vendetta was, obviously, the political climate of England and the West during the early 1980s. Moore cites that the Conservative party would "obviously lose the 1983 elections." With the Labour Party in charge, he reasoned, certain changes would follow: they would remove all American missiles from British soil to prevent Britain "from becoming a major target in the event of a nuclear war." From these assumptions, Moore claims, it was a small step "from that point up until the Fascist takeover in the post-holocaust Britain of the 1990's." Of course, the Conservatives, not the Labour party, won the 1983 elections. In his 1988 introduction to the American DC comics edition of the book, Moore addressed his earlier comments in light of actual political history:

There is a certain amount of political inexperience upon my part evident in earlier episodes. Back in 1981 the term 'nuclear winter' had not passed into common currency, and although my guess about climatic upheaval came pretty close to the eventual truth of the situation, the fact remains that the story to hand suggests that a nuclear war, even a limited one, might be survivable. To the best of my current knowledge, this is not the case. Naivete can also be detected in my supposition that it would take something as melodramatic as a near-miss nuclear conflict to nudge England towards fascism.... The simple fact that much of the historical background of the story proceeds from a predicted Conservative defeat in the 1982 General Election should tell you how reliable we were in our roles as Cassandras.
Citing Margaret Thatcher's confidence in unbroken Conservative leadership "well into the next century," police vans with rotating video cameras mounted on top, and the circulating ideas in England of concentration camps for AIDS victims and the eradication of homosexuality "even as an abstract concept," Moore in 1988 obviously felt that, despite the fact that the Labor party didn't win the election. his other predictions were coming true.

http://madelyn.utahgoth.net/vendetta/vendetta1.html

Bardock42
I read the quote too...but that doesn't change the fact that it meant a lot to me...and although he might not have intended it that way, it is as important as it was back then.

Sir Whirlysplat
I read the quote too...but that doesn't change the fact that it meant a lot to me...and although he might not have intended it that way, it is as important as it was back then.

I loved it when it came out, not as much as Miracleman which I still consider his greatest work, and the greatest work in comics ever. I still enjoy it now it's just lost it's relevance. I hope the movie deviates enough to be good but keeps the core themes of corruption and oppression and one person making a difference.

Bardock42
I loved it when it came out, not as much as Miracleman which I still consider his greatest work, and the greatest work in comics ever. I still enjoy it now it's just lost it's relevance. I hope the movie deviates enough to be good but keeps the core themes of corruption and oppression and one person making a difference.

How do you think it is pointless? The way the fascism came about is jsut as possible as ever.....

Sir Whirlysplat
How do you think it is pointless? The way the fascism came about is jsut as possible as ever.....

Yup but it was a social commentary on the UK of the time, that part doesn't scan.

Sir Whirlysplat
Just found this site which kind of sums up my feelings better than I can.

http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/anarchism/writers/anarcho/reviews/movie/VforVendetta.html

Bardock42
Yup but it was a social commentary on the UK of the time, that part doesn't scan.

True...it can be a Social Commentray of lots of countries today.....and...when you had jsut read the Comic without knowing about the idea behind it...do you think you would have felt the commentary on the UK?

Victor Von Doom
Lee and Kirby are much more influential than Moore in that field.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Lee and Kirby are much more influential than Moore in that field. Well...and I guess Grisham and Clancy are much more influential as well...but it'S jsut a whole different Ballpark isn't it?

Victor Von Doom
Well...and I guess Grisham and Clancy are much more influential as well...but it'S jsut a whole different Ballpark isn't it?

I dunno. What is 'it'?

Bardock42
I dunno. What is 'it'?

Graphic Novels to Mainstream Comics.....Serious Literature to "Bestsellers"

Sir Whirlysplat
Lee and Kirby are much more influential than Moore in that field.

I think for the time they were, I think for the last twenty years Moore is more influential. Miracleman gives way to Supreme Power. Watchmen gives way to..........
Your point is well made but if you read Ditko and Lee or Kirby and Lee from the mid sixties in 198o you would find them dated. Watchmen twenty years on (it came out in 86) still kills 99% of all other comics books dead, although as (mad) John Byrne said "it's realism went out the window when the psychic "alien" teleports in from the island and explodes". nuff said, excelsior Moore wink

Victor Von Doom
I think for the time they were, I think for the last twenty years Moore is more influential. Miracleman gives way to Supreme Power. Watchmen gives way to..........
Your point is well made but if you read Ditko and Lee or Kirby and Lee from the mid sixties in 198o you would find them dated. Watchmen twenty years on (it came out in 86) still kills 99% of all other comics books dead, although as (mad) John Byrne said "it's realism went out the window when the psychic "alien" teleports in from the island and explodes". nuff said, excelsior Moore wink

Same with The Beatles nowadays. Influence is influence. It mutates and spreads.

Obviously Moore is the most influential of recent times, but the thread covers 100 years.

Inspectah Deck
Literature: Fyodor Dostoevsky
Classical Music: Rebecca Helferich Clarke
Popular Music: Bob Marley
Politics: John Kennedy
Art: Andy Warhol
Peace Prize: Martin Luther King

Sir Whirlysplat
Same with The Beatles nowadays. Influence is influence. It mutates and spreads.

Obviously Moore is the most influential of recent times, but the thread covers 100 years.

You could argue Philip Wylies "Gladiator" or Rice Burroughs "John Carter" etc started it all easily. Siegal and Schuster (although rip off merchants) could be considered the most influential in that case easily. As I said no right or wrong AC went for Moore and a good case can be made.

soleran30
Larry Flint and Hugh Heffner! These guys are studs of the century. They are my hero's and the greatest men this centruy had to offersmile

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck

Good choices Deck.

Victor Von Doom
You could argue Philip Wylies "Gladiator" or Rice Burroughs "John Carter" etc started it all easily. Siegal and Schuster (although rip off merchants) could be considered the most influential in that case easily. As I said no right or wrong AC went for Moore and a good case can be made.

It's not about who 'started it', though. It is about who has been the most influential.

As for the Superman creators: you could make a case, although not as convincing.

Either way, that's not the point I made.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck

Dostoevsky wasn't especially influential, and besides, he died in the C19th.

Sir Whirlysplat
It's not about who 'started it', though. It is about who has been the most influential.

As for the Superman creators: you could make a case, although not as convincing.

Either way, that's not the point I made.

So what was the point VVD, I think the McDonalds of comics certainly had it's place although the product it produced went bankrupt in the late nineties.

Sir Whirlysplat
Dostoevsky wasn't especially influential, and besides, he died in the C19th.

I actually missed that you're right.

Victor Von Doom
So what was the point VVD, I think the McDonalds of comics certainly had it's place although the product it produced went bankrupt in the late nineties.

Well, how many more things other than influence shall we bring into this?

Jesus. Why not just say 'the ten people who did something in the last however long.'

Sir Whirlysplat
Well, how many more things other than influence shall we bring into this?

Jesus. Why not just say 'the ten people who did something in the last however long.'

Well it's influence or it's original characters popularity waned. It could be argued because it had strayed to far from the Lee/Kirby blueprint. With great power comes great responsibility not feet of clay etc. That though would in itself indicate the influence had waned to be superseeded by something else. Anyway I look forward to reading your reply tmz its nice talking comics even though thats not what the threads about. Are you going to post your ten or did I miss them? Goodnight anyway.

Victor Von Doom
Well it's influence or it's original characters popularity waned. It could be argued because it had strayed to far from the Lee/Kirby blueprint. With great power comes great responsibility not feet of clay etc. That though would in itself indicate the influence had waned to be superseeded by something else.

Although influence pervades the things that supersede. That's why The Beatles have a strong case- not because modern bands directly use them, but because The Beatles were one of the founding pieces of the modern music puzzle. You can trace influence back to them from most bands in a '6 degrees of...' manner.

All modern comics owe a debt to that period of ridiculous creativity at Marvel.

Even in the case of Moore and the other modern writers like Miller and Morrison, who even while subverting and re-imagining the original themes demonstrate the impact of those works.

I didn't post a list yet.

Sir Whirlysplat
Although influence pervades the things that supersede. That's why The Beatles have a strong case- not because modern bands directly use them, but because The Beatles were one of the founding pieces of the modern music puzzle. You can trace influence back to them from most bands in a '6 degrees of...' manner.

All modern comics owe a debt to that period of ridiculous creativity at Marvel.

Even in the case of Moore and the other modern writers like Miller and Morrison, who even while subverting and re-imagining the original themes demonstrate the impact of those works.

I didn't post a list yet.

I agree with much of your post, however Miracleman reimagined Captain Marvel (actually Fawcett comics Marvelman a copy of Captain Marvel). The Watchman owed morre to the JLA and inserted genres from outside of comics someting Moore had toyed with in Swampthing ad V god knows where V came from except Thatcher. Your point about that period and the Beatles remains true though it's influence is extremely far reaching. It's why I didn't choose a comic book though for my literature and I chose a more popularist writer rather than a niche writer, I think King has been the paperback Lennon for 30 years. wink Really off to bed now and please post your list I look forward to it!

Inspectah Deck
Good choices Deck.

I couldn't find anyone for Biology sad

Victor Von Doom
I agree with much of your post, however Miracleman reimagined Captain Marvel (actually Fawcett comics Marvelman a copy of Captain Marvel). The Watchman owed morre to the JLA and inserted genres from outside of comics someting Moore had toyed with in Swampthing ad V god knows where V came from except Thatcher. Your point about that period and the Beatles remains true though it's influence is extremely far reaching. It's why I didn't choose a comic book though for my literature and I chose a more popularist writer rather than a niche writer, I think King has been the paperback Lennon for 30 years. wink Really off to bed now and please post your list I look forward to it!

Yes, but the very milieu of Moore and the other modern writers builds on or dismantles the edifices that were constructed around that period; so for me, across the 100 year period there is a greater influence being imparted by those that have had more time to do so- be that the Marvel guys, or the DC counterparts.

Anyway- I only find a few of the categories interesting. I may post those ones.

sithsaber408
Ha!!!

I'll be juvenile and say:

George Lucas,

and George Dubya!

(they both set things up so that the impacts of their work will be felt years after they are gone)

Victor Von Doom
One is damaging the world immeasurably with his poison.

The other is George Lucas.

Or is that supposed to be Bush?

Or...maybe I double bluffed.

I don't know what I'm on about anymore.

Bardock42
ad V god knows where V came from except Thatcher.

Actually, the article you partly posted goes into that some more. I will feel free to type some of the quote..cause, I can't find all of it on there..so, spelling mistakes are entirely up to me, since we know that Alan Moore is infallible.

The article appeared in Warrior Magazine (#17) 1983.

And I think Victor is right although Superman and Batman probably influenced just as much if not more...taking into account that they had more time....then Kirby and Lee created a lot more......but well it's not about comics anyways, so.....

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Biology: Watson and Cricks
Classical Music: Alban Berg
Popular Music: John Lennon
Art: Salvador Dali

I'm with ol' Bardocko - as I like to call him - on all of those choices bar 2...ish. I don't know who 'Alban Berg' is so I'd swap him for John Williams because I'm an idiot. I'd expand John Lennon to incompass the collective known as 'The Beatles', and I'd balance a salt shaker on Hitler's nose, so I could eventually swap him for some other fool like FDR because his influence was a slight more positive. Finally, I'd like to clap 5 times and say "Hooray!" because Joyce is the only choice for the literature category. Thrillers and mysteries were around way before Stephen King, so his influence is negligible compared to someone who invented a whole style of writing. As a finally final thing to say, I would remark that Ghandi is an exceptional choice, but ol' Mandela can't be far behind. OK, I'm done now.

Eis
Literature - Ernest Hemingway

Popular Music - The Clash

Politics - Vladimir Lenin

Art - Bill Brandt

Peace Prize - Ghandi

There are the most influential people to me.

Grand Moff Gav

Indeed, however could it not be said that Hitler was also behind a vast amount of medical advancements? (Don't call me a Neo-Nazi Please I lost a fair few ancestors in those camps).

Physics:Einstein (of course)
Politics: Hitler, perhaps Stalin. (The USSR played a major role in how life has progressed in todays world)
Literature: JK Rowling (not a huge fan but she has raised the bar)
Music?: Jhon Lennon perhaps? Music with a message.

Political Institution/System/belief( I think this is rather important) Clearly Communism has had as major an impact in todays world as De Facto Catholicism did in the past. National Socialism and Apartheid also strong contenders)

WrathfulDwarf

I dunno....I just put up the ones that influence me.

Bardock42
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I dunno....I just put up the ones that influence me.

Dammit.

WrathfulDwarf
hehe...

Bardock42
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
hehe...

Very freking funny.....I will go home now and cry...

Oh and why is there no Philosophy award? Would be nice to have....

Morgoths_Wrath
Oh and why is there no Philosophy award? Would be nice to have....

how many great philosophers have we had in the last 100 years? Honestly?

Jean-Paul Sartre and Bertrand Russell would be the only contenders, methinks

...MAYBE Heidegger

Eis
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath

...MAYBE Heidegger
Nietzsche?

edit: oh damn he's short by 6 years...

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by Eis
Nietzsche?

edit: ok he's short by 6 years...

yeah, he missed the mark

Wittgenstein is up there, too

Bardock42
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath

...MAYBE Heidegger

Heidegger, Satre, Camus, Singer, ...

Bardock42
Popper...holy shit...how could I possibly forget POPPER...he's certainly on my list....

debbiejo
Honestly guys, it was Constantine, who changed our view forever on what Jesus, the church and, what hell is, and had great influence on all the categories thorough out history. Maybe not physics though...

Ok, I'm outta here.

Bardock42
Originally posted by debbiejo
Honestly guys, it was Constantine, who changed our view forever on what Jesus, the church and, what hell is, and had great influence on all the categories thorough out history. Maybe not physics though...

Ok, I'm outta here. Constantine is a) highly overrated b) not a 19th centtury man by a good 1600 years

debbiejo
Yeah, but he was still evil...so evil he transcendent all the centuries...

Oh well el finto then.

Bardock42
Originally posted by debbiejo
Yeah, but he was still evil...so evil he transcendent all the centuries...

Oh well finto then..

...didn't you want to leave? Now would be a decent time....

Victor Von Doom
Chomsky is quite influential.

Quiero Mota
Chemistry: Whoever invented Agent Orange
Biology: Watson
Maths: Carl Sagan
Literature: Hemmingway
Classical Music: John Williams
Popular Music: Louis Armstrong
Politics: FDR
Art: Pablo Picasso
Peace Prize: Dr. King

If I can add one; Business: Henry Ford

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Chomsky is quite influential.

True. It's a shame he's not more so, though...

Sir Whirlysplat
Actually, the article you partly posted goes into that some more. I will feel free to type some of the quote..cause, I can't find all of it on there..so, spelling mistakes are entirely up to me, since we know that Alan Moore is infallible.

The article appeared in Warrior Magazine (#17) 1983.

And I think Victor is right although Superman and Batman probably influenced just as much if not more...taking into account that they had more time....then Kirby and Lee created a lot more......but well it's not about comics anyways, so.....

Interesting I have every issue of Warriar Bardock next time I am in my parents loft I will check it out!

In regards to Philosophers whilst primarily a Physicist Feynman is a strong candidate. Even though he is quoted as saying "Philosophy is bs", I think he might be rightsmile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.