A critical analysis of the Oscars

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

meep-meep
What are the Oscars? I think it is a fiasco where priveleged celebrities get together and flaunt their expensive clothes and personalities for anybody willing to watch. The insane thing is people do.

The event itself costs more than 4 big budget movies to arrange. All that so millionaire actresses, actors media and hollywood pundits and other martini drinking bottom feeding types get to throw an expensive party. Sounds like a perfectly socially progressive and aware thing to do, right? If you can't tell I'm being sarcastic.

Dresses that cost tens of thousands of dollars. Unbelievable. And what is the purpose of pointing out the ridiculously inattainable hollywood criteria for beauty at this event? These women are just their to be looked at. Does this high-class social event further women's liberation? No the women aren't hushed but they aren't exactly talking about anything important. Also, I think pratically all the directors are men.

You go to a bar and the people who aren't important enough to be there watch it on a big screen tv. They laugh and appreciate all the witty commentary and jokes that the Oscars have to offer. They drink their drinks and feel important. They feel apart of the American elite, at least for a night. After it's over the working class go back to their real lives and real social status. They are left with that taste of high class life. But why do these working class people, tall and short, fat and thin, pretentious and vulgar enjoy this charade? It gives them that hope that life is indeed fair. There's no reason to complain, just joke. Let's joke about George Bush and Cheney shootiing a guy. Let's not talk about the war. Let's not, at least, give a moment or silence for the people who died in the multiple natural disasters around the planet. Nah, let's just laugh and feel good about ourselves. There's no reason to think life is unfair. If an ugly guy like John Stewart can make it, surely I can.

This brings me to John Stewart. The self-implied liberal-on-the-side-of-the-american-people comedian. I couldn't believe when he started to preach about the wrongness of piracy. That surely had nothing to with the fact he was surrounded by thousands of people in the movie industry. John Stewart just reinforced what he really was at the Oscars. A comedian who does what he has to do to get paid. What respect I did have for him is probably gone, after seeinig him act like a complete lacky. He could have done so much in that position. LIke I mentioned before he could have at least had moment of silence. Nope. No siree. Piracy is definitely a rung higher on the to fix list than helping people in need. John Stewart. He is stuck in the pocket of whoever has enough money to buy him.

On a side note. The montage of those old western films that implied homosexuality in old films was pretty damn funny. I doubt J. Stew had anything to do with that, though.

Back to the women. Why are they not celebrated by the fact they are women and not because they have the most trendy gown? There a restrictive criteria in Hollywood when it comes to the status of women there.

And George Clooney. He gave his speech. It was nice. It made him and every other person in show biz feel all warm and inportant inside, I bet. It made them feel like they give so much to society. They are model citizens. There's that sarcasm again. In truth Clooney is probably a decent, semi-socially conscious man. The problem is he is a millionaire and disconnected form society as he pointed out. His interpretation of Hollywoods disconnection form society, and how it affected the rest of the working class people iin the U.S. was a bit different than mine, though.

He mentioned they were sometimes disconnected from us but it was a good thing becausae they could see things we couldn't. Because of this they can show us and lead us in the right direction. Being disconnected from ignorance isn't a good thing mister Clooney.Understanding ignorance is more important. If you really want to help how about you uild a school in east L.A. and visit the children there every week, and give honor roll students to you next movie. How about donating some money to scholorships. That might be a little more effective. Don't proclaim that you and other people like you are our saviors. You are privileged, we aren't how about addressing those issues. Implying that we aren't smart enough to lead and think for ourselves is a little insulting, actually. We can percieve injustice too you know.In fact we can probably perceive it better than some one in your position can. I know we can. And if you want to help maybe you could start by openning the public to "prestigious" events like the Oscars. It might allow you to be more connected the people you claim to help.

I'm done.

debbiejo
It's a waste, but entertainment for the simple public.

powerfulone1987
Not everything in this world has to be done for some high and almighty purpose.

The Academy Awards are fun.

And you know that Actors/Men attend to right?

You never hear people referring to The Super Bowl in this way.

is it comprehensible.....

WrathfulDwarf
Oscars are overrated....

...the awards...not the people name Oscar.

BackFire
Jon Stewart wasn't preaching about the wrongness of piracy. He made a joke, if anything, making light of piracy by implying that stealing from these rich people is a victimless crime because they already have too much.

meep-meep
The super bowl isn't exactly the same sort of event, but that doesn't mean something mieaningful can't be addressed their, as well.

The Academy awards are fun. Ok. But my point is that it's stupid.

I believe I addressed men too.

Originally posted by powerfulone1987
Not everything in this world has to be done for some high and almighty purpose.

The Academy Awards are fun.

And you know that Actors/Men attend to right?

You never hear people referring to The Super Bowl in this way.

debbiejo
I think to superbowls stupid too..........But then that's me..

meep-meep
Originally posted by BackFire
Jon Stewart wasn't preaching about the wrongness of piracy. He made a joke, if anything, making light of piracy by implying that stealing from these rich people is a victimless crime because they already have too much.

Maybe I was a little to harsh on the piracy thing....I know Stewart likes to crack jokes in a subtle way and maybe in my attempt to crtitic everything I saw I conviently ignored his subtle comedy.

meep-meep
Originally posted by debbiejo

Yeah. The SB is pretty dumb too. People watch it for commericials fer chrissake.

BackFire
And there in lies the problem, you were too eager to critique the Oscars that you yourself seemed to become a bit bias. The oscars are simply an award show meant to entertain and recognize good films.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by debbiejo

Bite your tongue!

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by meep-meep
The super bowl isn't exactly the same sort of event, but that doesn't mean something mieaningful can't be addressed their, as well.

The Academy awards are fun. Ok. But my point is that it's stupid.

I believe I addressed men too. yeah, I can see how the super bowl isn't really the same thing.

People just come together to watch people throw a ball around and tackle others, sometimes getting seriously injured.

The Academy Awards is sooo awful though. People come together and accept awards for things that they've worked hard to do in a formal fashion.

There is a difference. But not in the way you say.

Alpha Centauri
Most awards shows today mean nothing at all.

Awards are given to anyone for anything.

-AC

WrathfulDwarf
I give AC the award for best post in this thread.

*gives award*

debbiejo
laughing out loud

Good one.

Alpha Centauri
This is all so unexpected, really.

*Unreels list*

Firstly I would like to thank Satan...

-AC

Makedde
I watch the awards, but don't see the sense in them, really. I can;t believe celebs wear dresses worth thouasands, then just discard them when they are done with them, and never wear them again.

Plus, most of the people who get nominated are crap, as well as their movies.

Reese Witherspoon best actress? You can't be serious, the girl looks about 19 and is as ugly as all hell. IMO.

debbiejo
I never watch them.

Makedde
I used to, same with the Grammies, but they suck now, so I just see who wins before the show actually airs.

Fire
Haven't seen the awards yet, taped them accidentaly anything fun worth watching?. Like that one time when Robin Williams did that South Park song (think it was him and think it was the academy awards)

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Makedde
Reese Witherspoon best actress? You can't be serious, the girl looks about 19 and is as ugly as all hell. IMO.

Yeah!

Who cares if she played a great part and deserved that best actress award! Let's give it to someone pretty and older who can't act for shit.

-AC

fini
LOL, well said.

As said before, I agree, the Oscars is mainly for entertainment, lol and its a show that I haven't missed since I was 11

It was OK this year, The host wasn't that great, the funniest part didn't even involve him.........lol it was the start when they were looking for a host and Whoopi Goldberg went " oh hell no" hehehe

fini
I watch the awards, but don't see the sense in them, really. I can;t believe celebs wear dresses worth thouasands, then just discard them when they are done with them, and never wear them again.

umm U do know that the dresses are auctioned off for charity afterwards right??? Oh wait, NO u dont!!!!

manny321
Your telling me if you didn't get rich off off acting you wouldn't be wearing expensive clothes.

I hate it when the public tries to act so moral and shit like when they truly aren't. Like i remember in our city, the city councillors were give $25,000 expense accounts. Most of them used the account. People said ohh there wasting tax payers money.

Your telling me if you had $25,000 expense account you would not use it.

I understand hundreds of thousands or millions, but it gets very silly.

People say why do people like celebrities. I like some stars who to me are great actors or directors. Thats why i like Clint eastwood or morgan freeman or Steven Spielberg or Tom Hanks.

Reese won because she was amazing in WTL. She wasn't the typically valley girl in that film. She was way different and gave a great performance. Easily the best she gave and is oscar worthy.

I liked how Crash won. You should watch that film. Its not stupid artsy crap, and is a great film.

I think next year a blockbuster film should win. The smaller films had thier chance.

powerfulone1987

Plus, most of the people who get nominated are crap, as well as their movies.

I don't see what Reese's looks has to do with her winnin any awards.

Mann321:

You said the Small Movies had their chance and a Blockbuster should win next year.

Doesn't a Blockbuster win almost every year. It's not like they continuously get overlooked or anything.

The smaller movies need to continue to be recognized, even if that means another small movie winning next year.

manny321
true but if another blockbuster film comes and has the quality of Lotr it shuold win the oscar.

XxILuvVegetaxX
the ppl @ the Oscars are so uptight! I thnk Jon Stewart did an okay job hosting, no a great job better considering the audience. My fav part was when Three 6 Mafia won the Oscars, just halirious and i wish most ppl acted like em after winning!

Bardock42
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Yeah!

Who cares if she played a great part and deserved that best actress award! Let's give it to someone pretty and older who can't act for shit.

-AC
Dammit, you stole the only thing that was worth a reply (because of it's stupidness...just to be clear).....then again you created a new opportunity..so you shall be forgiven.

botankus
Originally posted by Bardock42
Dammit, you stole the only thing that was worth a reply (because of it's stupidness...just to be clear).

Do a search on posts by its creator...there's more where that came from.

meep-meep
Well, I wouldn't wear a thousand dollar dress if I were rich. But than again I don't cross dress. Shit I buy my clothes at thrift stores. But I will admit, I'll spend a couple hundred on a nice suit if there is an event that I have to go to that requires formal attire.

Just as a side note, not that anyone cares, but in retrospect I think I might have been a tad bit harsh on ol' J rock and co.

Well, I think it's time for me to hit the ol' dusty trail....(runs frantically away from the thread that I started)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.